Gran Turismo Sport Selected for First Ever Olympic Virtual Series

• Thread starter Rangeraus
  • 218 comments
There are nice real tracks in the game, such as Red Bull Ring, Nürbirgring, Suzuka and Spa.. and they chose these craps for the event. And I suspect these events are sabotaged as usual, namely, players will be given tires that have no grip at all.
Don't reach too hard, don't want to pull a muscle now. :lol:

My their lap and I sat 116th. Don't know where I'm at now.

In the GR.4 TT and Northern Isle, I was around that 16,000th place. Did another lap, dropped my time by .2xx and moved up to the 12,000s. I'm using the in METAs, but I agree about giving casual players something for trying.
The most one can get from the Olympic TT, is the normal Daily Workout mileage, if they haven't done so already.

Sure but I'm just saying on the flip side of that, why not offer incentives for everyone? They don't have to be large, but offering some in-game reward can help incentivise people, maybe push them harder.

If you run 20 laps and finish in 16,000th, you know that you're never going to get to top 32 even if you do 20,000 laps. But what if you knew reaching top 10,000 meant a reward of 500,000 credits instead of only the current 100,000, or whatever? Maybe you'll do a few more laps. ("You" in this scenario being anyone, not literally you).

I get that for some people they don't need any incentive, which is cool. But I don't see any harm or extreme amount of work to just dangle the carrot to push some other people to try. Maybe more people would actually enter.
Game design is awful since the PS3 era.
It just doesn't make sense. No unique rewards for sports races or GT mode races. Broken economy with these 20 millions credits cars. 3 daily races a week for a eSport game...
I'm sure cars will look amazing in GT7. That's all. And that Tokyo track is still a ghost track three years later.

Last edited:
I tried to enter several times but my entry fails. Says the network is unavailable. I am not worried about it. I just wanted to do some laps, I just did something else.

Same thing happened for me in the Toyota event, ended up registering online. But can't find a online form for this one. I'll try again maybe.

I tried to enter several times but my entry fails. Says the network is unavailable. I am not worried about it. I just wanted to do some laps, I just did something else.

Same thing happened for me in the Toyota event, ended up registering online. But can't find a online form for this one. I'll try again maybe.

Same thing happened to me. I went back a few minutes later and everything worked just fine. Now all I need to do is find 2 seconds from somewhere...

I'm not even going to bother trying to qualify because I'm too slow to compete with the best in my region.

I had the issue while trying to register on the alt(only for a how-to video, I'm not gonna set a laptime) but not on the main. It said something about personalised info, I had to enable that in order to enter.

Maybe one day they'll create events which offer incentives for the non elite as well.

If you're not already a top 100 player, there is little motivation to enter, like all the other championships. PD must wonder why so few people play them, relatively speaking.
Like Seasonal Events? Whatever happened to those? Why not turn the Time Trials into Seasonal Events? Give most players an incentive to actually participate in them. Give them Credits, a gift car ticket, paints, additional multipliers on Mileage Points or Experience Points or something.

I'll be taking part in this event just for fun, as only the most-dedicated will move on to the other rounds.

Last edited:
Sure but I'm just saying on the flip side of that, why not offer incentives for everyone? They don't have to be large, but offering some in-game reward can help incentivise people, maybe push them harder.

If you run 20 laps and finish in 16,000th, you know that you're never going to get to top 32 even if you do 20,000 laps. But what if you knew reaching top 10,000 meant a reward of 500,000 credits instead of only the current 100,000, or whatever? Maybe you'll do a few more laps. ("You" in this scenario being anyone, not literally you).

I get that for some people they don't need any incentive, which is cool. But I don't see any harm or extreme amount of work to just dangle the carrot to push some other people to try. Maybe more people would actually enter.

Completely agree. As other have said the game's credit system is really punishing for no reason. Specials events would have been a way to hand out some credit so more players could buy those 20m cars.

The Louis Hamilton DLC was a good idea along those lines, but the diamond times are out of reach for most players. It's great to hone in on some of those times but to REQUIRE grinding to get all cars is just cruel and not fun.

Game design is awful since the PS3 era.
It just doesn't make sense. No unique rewards for sports races or GT mode races. Broken economy with these 20 millions credits cars. 3 daily races a week for a eSport game...
I'm sure cars will look amazing in GT7. That's all. And that Tokyo track is still a ghost track three years later.

The game economy is broken since GTS, not PS3. It was perfectly fine on GT 4, 5 and 6. But I hear you. I'm a long time GT fan and spent what is a long amount of time for me on GTS (ie 150hrs or so). I still don't have all the 20m cars. Guess I didn't grind enough! That really is bad game design.

Last edited by a moderator:
mef
Completely agree. As other have said the game's credit system is really punishing for no reason. Specials events would have been a way to hand out some credit so more players could buy those 20m cars.

The Louis Hamilton DLC was a good idea along those lines, but the diamond times are out of reach for most players. It's great to hone in on some of those times but to REQUIRE grinding to get all cars is just cruel and not fun.

The cynic in me would still suggest they did it on purpose to push you towards the microtransations in the PS Store. They encourage people to save up towards that 20m car and in the meantime, whilst it's taking so long, you're tempted to pay real money for the cheaper cars so as not to slow your progress even further. Then on top of that when you do buy the 20m car and reduce your credits to 0, after all that grinding, more temptation to buy the MT cars.

No proof of course, but that's certainly what it feels like.

Kinda wish they picked more interesting combos tbh. It's basically GR Toyota Cup - Time Trial Edition.

Also wish they at least picked 1 top driver from EACH country, and then have multiple race heats to whittle it down to the last 16 for the final round. There's way more countries and talented drivers than the 7 allocated for EMEA for example.

EDIT: Turned a few laps and oh boy, the penalties are brutal for this one :lol: They should rename the TT "The Wall is Lava" :P

Last edited:
Kinda wish they picked more interesting combos tbh. It's basically GR Toyota Cup - Time Trial Edition.

You've got to wonder just how extensive the PD/Toyota collaboration is now, i.e. how much money Toyota are paying PD to plaster them all over the game and get them to add all of their new cars. Wouldn't be surprising that they signed an all encompassing deal that says all competitions other than the original FIA ones have to be using Toyota's. Either that or Toyota signed a deal with the IOC for the same thing.

I still remember the mock ups suggesting a myriad of unique competitions every month alongside the FIA events. That didn't happen did it.

For a level playing field, all Olympians will drive the mighty Copen RJ VGT! :D

Or maybe a Red Bull X2020(not21) Olympics Edition?

Seriously though, this had better be single spec.
Oh, it turned out to be the... Supra. Mildly disappointing. Now I think about it, the Toyota Motor Triathlon car would've been perfect, maybe I'll have my own private Olympics in GT4...

World Final uses 3 Toyota cars, not only the Time Trial.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/210511_fia_dms_ovs_sporting_regulations_wmsc-approved.pdf
Screenshot_2021-05-14 210511_fia_dms_ovs_sporting_regulations_wmsc-approved pdf.png

Got my time down to 1.58.833 and.. that's me done I think! Trying to push past that is triggering some really dumb mistakes and obviously the event is super punishing about clipping the walls. I'm not going to shave 3+ seconds off my time here but it's been fun to take part.

I agree with what other users have mentioned, but it would be nice if there was some other rewards for taking part and registering a certain time beyond just qualifying for the Olympics (which obviously nearly none of us will manage). Perhaps that will come later and we'll get a dump of credits or a car after the event.

Does anyone here had place their times on the DS4? I've managed to get 1:58:192 on the first day so far, despite that my right thumbstick now drifts.

Does anyone here had place their times on the DS4? I've managed to get 1:58:192 on the first day so far, despite that my right thumbstick now drifts.
My best last night was 1:58.431 on DS4. May be able to scrape a few more tenths, but I predict not much higher than a fairly high 57.

I am thoroughly disappointed by the inability to participate as a Croat.

Who am I even supposed to ask about the reason?...

Just make a new Alt from another country so you can run laps. That’s how I did the GT Academy years ago when Canada wasn’t allowed in. 👍

Back