Gran Turismo Sport Spec II Arrives October 4

So if I am up to date on updates, this new game provides nothing new except a couple of free cars and some cash?

Yes, it’s just the base game with all the updates until now included with the equivalent of a pre-order bonus thrown in.

It would have been nice if they at least threw in some exclusive Group 3 and Group 4 cars in that are painted black for the collectors at least but as it stands there’s really no point in buying this aside from the box art.

It's a bit misleading imo, the last time they used the Spec II name it was GT5's v2.0 update.

Correction: it was called Spec 2.0, hopefully you get my point, however.

Well, for a long time I've thought of GTS as more of an internal digital asset building project for GT7 that PD decided to publish, rather than a complete game in its own right. Much like I believe Assetto Corsa Competizione is really a Kunos Simulazioni internal project allowing them to "kick the tyres" of the Unreal Engine, which they then decided to monetise along the way.

Kaz has too much obsession with looking beautiful and having cool friends like Michelin Porsche and Bugatti. Not enough obsession with fun cars and fun tracks. I don't want to date a supermodel if she is boring as DUCK.

It's a bit misleading imo, the last time they used the Spec II name it was GT5's v2.0 update.

Correction: it was called Spec 2.0, hopefully you get my point, however.

I think "Spec II" and "Spec III" were used for GT5 Prologue when they added more content.

Assetto Corsa did this a year or two back [Ultimate Edition] which included all previous updates and DLC which was also mainly done for the reasons Famine mentioned. Having missed the game myself during the first year and then regretting it afterwards, the Ultimate edition paved my way to get the game without all the crazy amount of downloads. For new racers that wants to join GTS, this will be most welcome.

The AC Ultimate Edition includes a bunch of DLC PAID packs, that would cost separately around 60 euros at launch price in Europe. Same thing for GT5, that had paid packs from cars to tracks, paint chips and racing suits and helmets, notably the track pack that included Spa-Francorchamps...
At GT Sport there aren't paid DLC content, so it's a very different scenario.

No, what I meant was without Internet, Sport is a literal brick. You can’t even save the game iirc.

I was under the impression they had changed that due to the backlash it received but after a quick search it appears I imagined that!

It's likely more useful for people with slow connections in that case. They can still save but don't want to have to attempt a huge download over several days.

I think Spec II is basically like the Deluxe edition of vanilla GTSport that just coincides with GTSport becoming apart of the new Playstation Hits titles. Would explain why they didn't wait until they were finished with all DLC content before making a Spec II; it doesn't even include data on disc for the recent rain, Sardegna road course, and car updates we got which means they had to finalize the Spec II content back in May. I don't think it has much meaning regarding whether future updates will remain free or not.

person who has all the updates already and has reliable internet I don’t see the point.

For a person who has no internet you can’t play the game anyways
For a person who has all the updates already and has reliable internet I don’t see the point.

For a person who has no internet you can’t play the game anyways so I still don’t see the point.
Street Fighter V did the same exact thing. Its to appeal to people who have never played GT Sport so you dont have to spend 20 hours updating the base game. Street Fighter and GT sport have the same business model.

I think Spec II is basically like the Deluxe edition of vanilla GTSport that just coincides with GTSport becoming apart of the new Playstation Hits titles. Would explain why they didn't wait until they were finished with all DLC content before making a Spec II; it doesn't even include data on disc for the recent rain, Sardegna road course, and car updates we got which means they had to finalize the Spec II content back in May. I don't think it has much meaning regarding whether future updates will remain free or not.

That's always the case with Disk based games. Once the Gold Master has been submitted that's it, It's frozen in that state until release, and it may take many months from submission to having the product on the shelves depending on quantities, pressing slots, printing slots, materials sourcing and so on.

This generally why when you buy a disk based game even on day one you'll get hit with a patch straight away.

I rather like the idea that they're updating the physical release of the game. Install discs should be more of a thing for people who buy physical games nowadays. Instead of waiting a whole day to download both the game and all the updates, they're on the discs (at least, the updates are included until the May update). The bandwidth of a PS4 reading data from a Blu-Ray disc will probably top out any Internet connection speed I shall ever see in my life. :lol:

The name is confusing, though, because it kinda breaks the...naming convention, that the GT series has had? Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec II had lots of new content from the original Japanese release, and Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 needs no introduction; it had so much content that it changed the face of the game entirely. Gran Turismo 6 never got a Spec II of any sort, although for GT6, an updated game disc with all of the game's content updates on it would have been nice, since it takes literally an entire day to install from V1.00 to the latest V1.22.

I still appreciate the fact that they're updating the physical release of the game, confusing name or not. Re-downloading everything once my PS4's HDD had to be replaced was a pain, but these discs would save me a ton of downtime. Maybe I'll consider picking it up just for convenience.

The name is confusing, though, because it kinda breaks the...naming convention, that the GT series has had?

True.

I think that´s due to the never ending content flow we have in GT Sport. They could have held the last 5 updates back and - boom - bring it all out at once and call it Spec II (and hoenstly make it $20 DLC)

But that´s not how GT Sport rolls.

They probably don´t even have the resources to work on a big update in the background while developping GT 7 and canking out monthly updates for GTS at the same time.

I was excitedwhen i saw this. for maybe a 10 car 5 track new wheels ,new paints....new GR4 spec cars..maybe? anything....but this is pretty much a non story :( ah well still love GT Sport

Last edited:
...I really don't see a reason for anyone that hast those cars (even if one doesn't have those cars) to buy this "update", except if one doesn't have GTSport...

So, one question remains, will our current game be updated to 2.0?

True.

I think that´s due to the never ending content flow we have in GT Sport. They could have held the last 5 updates back and - boom - bring it all out at once and call it Spec II (and hoenstly make it $20 DLC)

But that´s not how GT Sport rolls.

They probably don´t even have the resources to work on a big update in the background while developping GT 7 and canking out monthly updates for GTS at the same time.
For a new buyer in the market looking for a physical copy. This version is in the spirit of a traditional Spec II with much more content than the original release.

As mentioned earlier. I do think we’ll get the usual trappings of a Spec II release in the next few updates.

Back