Gran Turismo Sport Spec II Arrives October 4

In the past Spec II was synonymous with a major feature update, and many were hoping such an update would also arrive for GT Sport.

This isn't true. I owned the GT5 Spec II disc, and it was just an up-to-date version of GT5 :boggled: (At that time).

Somebody explain to me - what's the point of releasing a new/disc version of the game that's 1) is a live service that's still getting updates and 2) will be 5 full months behind out of the box so you'll still have to download the latest patch?

I'd understand if Spec II came with the October update or if this marked Sport is finalized, but neither is the case based on the article

this predicts can be a spec 3, which still says a lot of update

Attachments

• 20190927_194319.jpg
    20190927_194319.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 66
Somebody explain to me - what's the point of releasing a new/disc version of the game that's 1) is a live service that's still getting updates and 2) will be 5 full months behind out of the box so you'll still have to download the latest patch?

I'd understand if Spec II came with the October update or if this marked Sport is finalized, but neither is the case based on the article

Let’s say this Spec II doesn’t come out, so you're left with the PS Hits version. You buy it with version 1.0 as opposed to 1.39 with the Spec II disc. Either way, you have to update to the new update in order to save any of your progress. Spec II allows you to bypass the first year and a half of updates, each were around 2 gbs iirc. That saved so much time and bandwidth, especially if you don’t have a good internet connection. That alone would keep me from jumping in to GTS if I hadn't already.

Hey man, this is PlusFrames from SRK (I suspect you’re the guy I’m thinking of).

Essentially, if you get the disc, you don’t have to download an extra 60GBs in updates from the base game.

I think it’s main purpose though is basically like a repackaging of SFVAE (without the additions that came with AE - new UI, second VTs, arcade mode, etc) to get new eyes (and possibly new reviews) on the game now that it’s in a better place than it was at launch (similar to SFV).

Last edited:
Essentially, if you get the disc, you don’t have to download an extra 60GBs in updates from the base game.
Do you actually have to DL that much data with a fresh copy? Jesus, I thought we moved past the endless patch installations like with GT5 and 6

Do you actually have to DL that much data with a fresh copy? Jesus, I thought we moved past the endless patch installations like with GT5 and 6

I’m not sure tbh. I don’t have GTS yet (was going to buy it today until this was announced lol), but from what I’ve read, the game now, with all updates, is around 106 GB, and I think the base game was around 50 GB, but someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Edit: base game was about 43 GB and day 1 patch was about 12 GB. So yeah, saves somewhere around 60 GBs of data to download, though you still have to download a bit to get it up to date.

GT Sport “PlayStation Hits”: Literally the same as GT Sport that launched in October 2017. You will have to download all the updates and that takes a VERY long time.

GT Sport Spec II: Literally the same GT Sport that launched in October 2017, but it already has all the updates up until April 2019. The rest you will have to download. Plus it includes a handful of Gr.3 Cars and some credits.

Literally all what this is. I’m guessing if there is a new intro (which I hope), it’ll come as a part of the October Update with the Taycan and possibly others cars/tracks.

Last edited:
I wish I was buying It now such a great deal with all the content It has now. First GT title ever that I thought was trash, so I waited for first price drop bought It"Then I was more upset and disappointed that I spent 42$.

Probably the best 90$ I ever spent back in october 2017. Most engaging game I have ever played even after Witcher 3.
Ive owned every gt and this is the best by far. Sure it could be better.. Name me one game that ever was perfect. But with every update it gets closer and closer to that state.
A little bit hype blue balled that this all doesnt coincide with a massive content/ physics/ pen. system update, but hopefully next month will give us some of those things.

I am glad I’m not the only one kinda let down by the fact this is just a re-release of the game with the current updates but then again, this is PD we’re talking about so they just might release a full-on Spec II update with the Michelin content and Spa, which should arrive in October.

I can't be the only one that dropped my coffee when I read the title and then added to the mess with my flowing tears of disappointment when I read the details. Can I?

Oh GT... you crazy emotional roller-coaster.
Exactly this. Same for me when I first saw it this morning. Good post.:cheers:

GT5 Spec II: New content, such as events, tracks and cars. Improvising update that marked the change of the badly treated GT5 making it a good game and damn it, how beautiful were those Touring Cars?

GT Sport Spec II: Buy it to save time on past updates.

Meh, thank you PD for these years of FREE content but why do you call this Spec II if you have nothing for Spec II?

that SpecII update for GT5 was the greatest patch in the gran turismo universe, imo.

have fun everyone! but glad pd still supports their creation, I'm taking a sabbatical until GT7 comes. I got rid of my ps4 after tinkering with GTS for a few days.

I think its save to say that most people forget how updates were handled in GT5. If you on GT sphere back in 2011-2012 you remember when we begs for MONTHS for an update.

It essentially makes GTSport era updates feels easy in comparison.

It essentially makes GTSport era updates feels easy in comparison.
Plus, the free DLCs in each update of the game really helped a lot. But then again, that's because GT Sport came scrimped compared to the previous titles. So it's only necessary to satisfy the players of the game.

Somehow, this update should allow players that purchased cars with real money, to be in their garages permanently. It's going to be an interesting one when the next game comes out.

Yes, the Spec II title can be read to be a bit misleading. But if you compare Spec II with Spec I (the base game), it makes some more sense in my opinion.

Personally, I think this re-release is good news and here's the reason why.

This re-release is aimed at getting new sales in the run up to Christmas. The money from those extra sales will, in my opinion, provide some funding towards the upcoming updates which I think will remain free (at no extra cost) for longer as a result. We don't know how significant any updates will be, but we do now know that they will run on at least until the release of the Porsche VGT in the second half of 2020.

It's the same idea basically as the not compulsory microtransactions for cars. In my opinion they are trying to find alternative ways to fund the cost of DLC as they are not directly charging for it. Those salaries have to be paid by revenue from somewhere?

I would argue GT5 Spec 2 was one of the greatest top to bottom re-invention patches of any game of any genre in any timeline universe.

GT Sport Spec 2 doesnt compare to that in any way except in name. Count me as someone disappointed in this however to be fair, what wholesale improvements do you see that GT Sport needs? Its not in the same terrible state GT5 was pre Spec 2.

GT5 2.0 itself is a big update, and the 2.0 disc comes after that.we don't have news about 2.0 update.

However, GT5 2.0 itself didnot have track and car updates, which are provided through DLC after 2.0

Such as the SPA!

In the first DLC after 2.0, if I remember correctly.

There are also some TC cars in the DLC after this, such as FD TC!(Remember the MX5 tc?)

They're all in the new 2.0 opening, so it's planned.

Another interesting fact

PD has added a lot of track weather changes through GT5 2.0

So,,, there is still a little hope.....:bowdown:

Last edited:
Why would PD release a Spec II if you only get content up to version 1.39? Why not include everything up to this point? Seems a bit dumb.

Back