Gran Turismo Sport Will Get Formula E Cars According to Kazunori Yamauchi

The new season is starting at the end of November, so there's that. I wouldn't expect next season cars to show up, but the Gen 2, season 5 cars would be fine for everyone, as to not reveal secrets under the hood. What we would actually need are more street circuits in the vein of previous GT cars - not like the Tokyo Expressway tracks which I like but that are much closer to a high speed circuit than a tight and twisty track. It would be a good time to bring back Tokyo R246, if you ask me...

The new season is starting at the end of November, so there's that. I wouldn't expect next season cars to show up, but the Gen 2, season 5 cars would be fine for everyone, as to not reveal secrets under the hood. What we would actually need are more street circuits in the vein of previous GT cars - not like the Tokyo Expressway tracks which I like but that are much closer to a high speed circuit than a tight and twisty track. It would be a good time to bring back Tokyo R246, if you ask me...

I know of a tight, twisty and medium speed track: Citta di Aria! :sly:

I would be interested to see the viewing figures. I'm sure Formula E races are much more viewed than any other WEC race.

I would be highly surprised if FE has more viewers than WEC. FE hasnt been around long enough to establish a hardcore fan base and I just dont see where the excitement is to draw new fans in.

Last edited:
I would be highly surprised if FE has more viewers than WEC. FE hasnt been around long enough to establish a hardcore fan base and I just dont see where the excitement to draw new fans in.
The most up to date numbers I can find are:

Formula E averaging 27.1 million per race (That is season 4 with the old car with car swaps and without new free-to-air TV deals like BBC in the UK).
Le Mans averaged roughly 20.4 million in Europe (That is for the showcase race in 2018), I can't find any numbers for the rest of the world but that will push it well above 27mil.

Formula E averaging 27.1 million per race (That is season 4 with the old car with car swaps and without new free-to-air TV deals like BBC in the UK).
Le Mans averaged roughly 20.4 million in Europe (That is for the showcase race in 2018), I can't find any numbers for the rest of the world but that will push it well above 27mil.
That's pretty much all of Australia watching. Big numbers.

Formula e will never reach the status of F1 or Lemans even if its a new series.

Guess it’s a completely irrelevant series then. :rolleyes:

Electric power is here to stay and will be the eventual future, FE is still evolving with the evolution of EV technology. Its obviously slower in raw pace than a lot of series, but the championship (and IMO many of the races) has been far more interesting than the last few seasons of the series’ you listed. I see no downside to throwing FE in GT, especially considering how fun they seem to be to drive, given their combination of low downforce/grip and high torque.

I don’t know if GT will ever be able to get a fair depth of F1 content as long as Codemaster’s franchise is going strong. Le Mans/WEC is kind of interesting right now cuz there isn’t much going on. Toyota is kind of the only relevant team up top, and LMP is sort of dying/losing support as a category. The top class is about to be revitalized a year from now, but there’s really nothing of much substance to watch in upper categories right now.

FE has a lot of support from big name manufacturers and seems to be growing every year. There’s plenty of reason to put it in GT regardless of how popular it is in relation to other established series, especially if no big names in gaming have capitalized on it yet (as far as I recall).

I dont even know why people are the least bit concerned (or excited).

Forza has Formula E, Indycar and Nascar and all are obviously 'lesser' forms of motorsport than F1 and WEC and really, its no big deal if they're in there or not.

To also put this into perspective, PD havent done a great deal with SF19 and Super GT to be fair other than to put in the cars and occasionally slap into an online or single player race.

Was at the Jaguar Racing launch on Weds and someone reliably told me FE is now north of having a 30million per race average.

This aged well.

Last edited:
PD seem to be taking a totally different route to what would be a good, fun, right and complete racing game. The time they are spending developing these things means they don't have time for cool stuff. Partnering with the FIA was possibly the worst idea of them all.

Last edited:
PD seem to be taking a totally different route to what would be a good, fun, right and complete racing game. The time they are spending developing these things means they don't have time for cool stuff. Partnering with the FIA was possibly the worst idea in the of them all.

One would think partnering with them would allow them to gain licenses to more racing series, but your right single games like NASCAR & F1 will always have a better representation.
Codemasters had the right idea with Toca3 something for everyone.

SestoScudo: [URL='https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/goto/post?id=12883393#post-12883393'
↑[/URL]
This aged well.

Still seems a valid statement to me. Many people have no idea FE even exists.

Guess it’s a completely irrelevant series then. :rolleyes:

Electric power is here to stay and will be the eventual future, FE is still evolving with the evolution of EV technology. Its obviously slower in raw pace than a lot of series, but the championship (and IMO many of the races) has been far more interesting than the last few seasons of the series’ you listed. I see no downside to throwing FE in GT, especially considering how fun they seem to be to drive, given their combination of low downforce/grip and high torque.

I don’t know if GT will ever be able to get a fair depth of F1 content as long as Codemaster’s franchise is going strong. Le Mans/WEC is kind of interesting right now cuz there isn’t much going on. Toyota is kind of the only relevant team up top, and LMP is sort of dying/losing support as a category. The top class is about to be revitalized a year from now, but there’s really nothing of much substance to watch in upper categories right now.

FE has a lot of support from big name manufacturers and seems to be growing every year. There’s plenty of reason to put it in GT regardless of how popular it is in relation to other established series, especially if no big names in gaming have capitalized on it yet (as far as I recall).
FE is a series built on foundations of sand. Gaining support as a direct result of the diesel emissions scandal. The coming seasons will see the first real OEM development battles. This will see off teams like Jaguar, Renault/Nissan etc. The explosion in budgets puts a time limit on Audi & Porsche competing with the same VAG parent group.

By the time this plays out EV/Hybrid/Hydrogen will be the norm in all the established series. With more road relevant vehicles, longer race distances, and refuelling/charging.

That’s not to say FE shouldn’t be in GT. It’s pretty much a certainty given the recent partnerships with Audi & Porsche.

PD seem to be taking a totally different route to what would be a good, fun, right and complete racing game. The time they are spending developing these things means they don't have time for cool stuff. Partnering with the FIA was possibly the worst idea of them all.

First off, that sounds like a bunch of cryptic, melodramatic hyperbole, and I’d go as far as to call it whiny. Second, none of us have a solid idea how PD operates - maybe a very vague sense at best, from what they’ve disclosed in interviews and promotional vids. We can’t assume anything - certainly not you, unless you happen to literally be a fly on the wall at PD’s offices.

Last edited:
I feel that Formula Milkfloat, I mean, Formula E, would benefit from using higher powered PU's with an added 'engine sound'. If they were to achieve this so it doesn't sound like a Dyson going along the straights... then maybe... just maybe I could be interested. In both the real thing and its digital counterpart.

Until then....

👎:lol:

FE is a series built on foundations of sand. Gaining support as a direct result of the diesel emissions scandal. The coming seasons will see the first real OEM development battles. This will see off teams like Jaguar, Renault/Nissan etc. The explosion in budgets puts a time limit on Audi & Porsche competing with the same VAG parent group.

So many incorrect assumptions here, just because you've assumed something on your own accord doesn't mean you can knowingly pass it off as fact even though you know it's false.

Also, I just found this interesting little nugget in the AUP:
"You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate."

So many incorrect assumptions here, just because you've assumed something on your own accord doesn't mean you can knowingly pass it off as fact even though you know it's false.

Also, I just found this interesting little nugget in the AUP:
"You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate."
Every word I have posted is correct to the best of my knowledge. From both first hand experience and press reports. IE VAG personnel have already stated, long-term, they can’t justify two OEM’s in direct competition. In such a high level, high budget, series.

FE is a perfect storm of external factors and the appeal of an emergent series. Only now will it face the challenges of increased competition (on track and from other series).

Every word I have posted is correct to the best of my knowledge. From both first hand experience and press reports. IE VAG personnel have already stated, long-term, they can’t justify two OEM’s in direct competition. In such a high level, high budget, series.

FE is a perfect storm of external factors and the appeal of an emergent series. Only now will it face the challenges of increased competition (on track and from other series).
Formula E have no competition on track. They have an exclusive long-term deal with the FIA for electric open wheel racing. Agag and FE will make big money if and when other series join in.

Probably nobody? I (personally) don’t really see a way they could implement this in a way were it’s fair for everyone... They could pick people randomly, but you’ll always get players that’ll complain about it..

I have to say that i will never get how people can be fascinated by electric motorsports... it's like they never attended a real race. I mean, you can "feel" the noise, the grunt that punches you in the stomach, motorsounds have a big impact on fascination. I've been to several hillclimbs with electric race classes and they are only good for a healty laugh. I can't take these cars serious, i'm sorry. It's really saddening that this might be the future of motorsports. Heartbreaking, honestly... :guilty:

So, now that Formula E cars still aren't in the game 2 years after Yamauchi said that they were coming, do you think that they will still come to the game or will they be in gt 7?

So, now that Formula E cars still aren't in the game 2 years after Yamauchi said that they were coming, do you think that they will still come to the game or will they be in gt 7?
If they come (if at all), I suspect it will be in the next GT... with the ramping down of GTsport development, I don’t think such a big addition is coming anymore unfortunately.

EDIT: wrong forum page.

Not sure I'm interested in Formula E cars in GTS... they are kind of annoying to drive in Forza TBH.

Last edited:
If they come (if at all), I suspect it will be in the next GT... with the ramping down of GTsport development, I don’t think such a big addition is coming anymore unfortunately.
It's not "big" if there are only two cars(look at SF19).

We don't know the complete deal.
Porsche, Audi, AMG, NISMO, who else would be onboard?
Could just be two or three brands initially.

Gameplay. Don't need any new tracks to run these cars. PDLogic™ allows cars to run at any track that's not represented in a real series.

EV specs? The cars don't need to 'refuel'. The tyre multipliers usually determine how an FIA race will go anyway.

Could happen as a final update before GT7. With PS5 reveal being pushed back, due to real world problems, maybe pushes PS5 back. Sony taking a sensitive stand in their worldwide post, is making a console available from Thanksgiving-Christmas, really that important?

We'll find out.

Back