Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2023 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 582 comments
How many laps are you getting on the RS tires in the Supra?
In custom races, with proper tire and fuel settings I got 10 laps with around 90% red on my left rear. Around 85% red on my left front. I tried both strategies for a 15 lapper and both were the same. I was running 0 on my brake balance.

Last edited:
Started 2nd, great start stayed 1sec behind leader until end of lap 7 when I pitted.

Started with softs same as last time to break from the pack.

Made and awful mistake on lap 9 hitting the wall in the esses.

Down to 8th place.

Stayed until lap 12 and then....

Got dive bombed again at the hairpin!!!

Not happy at all, quit again as nothing else I could do to get anywhere decent finish.

One more attempt then I'm giving up on this one.
Quitting is not going to help you. The DR hit(s) that you are taking are going to put you in lower rooms which results in less points available. By the time you get the result you are looking for, you won’t be happy with the points you win….

Quitting is not going to help you. The DR hit(s) that you are taking are going to put you in lower rooms which results in less points available. By the time you get the result you are looking for, you won’t be happy with the points you win….
Exactly. I quit quitting long time ago. You just have to accept that someone (hopefully not yourself) can ruin your race and that it's very unpredictable. You have to stay professional until the end just like in real racing and focus on doing everything right from your side. It's just the game and don't take it way too seriously. This has helped me a lot.

Last edited:
Can I reach in multiple time slots today to gain extra points? Or am I only given the max score from a single race?

Edit: Beauvois cancelled the tweet about the problem with top splitters getting the wrong split (already happened in Round 5) :odd:

In others news, my race was great, podium absolutely deserved :D

Just one question though: How the german, who arrived ahead of me, managed to do it with ONE STOP ? :eek:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ? :banghead:

Last edited:
I know it hits the rating, like I said this is the first race I have ever quit, I didn't want to but from where I started to were I was I didn't see the point to continue.

There is only one more round so I can't see that causing too much trouble to my points and final position.

This last run I took a rear hit on the first corner but....

189cb955b1358-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_432982228147295_1691336828700.jpg

189cb9584791-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_432982230279460_1691336837029.jpg

189cb95c6c965-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_432982232217589_1691336844599.jpg

189cb95f5371-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_432982438965987_1691337652210.jpg

Managed to take a win with 11sec lead.

Swapped from softs to meds at the end of lap 8.

2nd place at the time swapped the lap after in the Mazda.

I was on the inside line on the first corner, but the hit gave me a little edge and from there it was just keeping consistent with the laps.

1st slot after the break, EMEA GT3.

After much dallying, picked the Supra and was happy to be 3rd with a 1:49.932 in qualifying. What I wasn’t happy with was the TWO SECOND gap between the first two and me!

It seems the longer this game exist the more people are running alt accounts at levels lower than their usual skill standard. This issue has been mentioned before, by @RacingGrandpa as I recall. It really needs addressing otherwise demotivation to race in Sport mode may well have a significant effect on participation numbers. This seems to becoming a common occurrence in the Dailies also.

As I anticipated, drivers 1 & 2 rapidly disappeared over the horizon leaving the rest of us to scramble for the remaining positions. 3rd finished over 20 seconds behind 1 & 2.

I eventually finished 5th after hitting the wall on my penultimate lap on softs. Happy to report that racing was respectful from where I was. No examples of Sport Mode stupidity to report.

One and done.

Last edited:
just finished the first slot in GT2. Lobby was nearly all As and I had board number one, thanks to a couple of weeks of strong raceB/Gr3 results. Lobby worth 173 pts!

But.. I didn't really have any pace in the supra, never have really. Started P9, my only real chance was to run clean consistent laps. Which I did, ran 8M7S and finished P9 and a CRB. In the final sector, final lap, I picked up a place due to someone spinning in the last chicane, but it upset my rhythem and I let a driver pass me who had been pacing me since the pit. Good clean racing all around.

Mediocre results, might try again tonight but I don't really expect to finish better without some luck. And if I make GT1 in the next round of these, for all my complaining about the different treatment of the leagues, I will really miss the extra slots available. Hoping they rethink the league formats next time.

One and done today! Thank goodness.

GT3 - DR/SR B/S
Lobby was mostly B with a couple A drivers.
Door 9

Qualified P2 with a modest time for me. Though had I had my best FP time, I'd be pole. Except, if you play but those rules, pole would've then been pole again. But our split was about the same from FP to qualifying (about 0.3 seconds). So very satisfied, considering pole is currently the Regional leader.

189cbc66a3e46-screenshotUrl.jpg

The race went off ok. I actually practiced the rolling start and pit exit to get my breaking point down for T1. That always seems to mess me up, but not today. Starting with the RS tires, planned to pit around L8. S2 of L1 had my only scuffle with another racer. Exiting the turn before the brick wall on the left, I took the apex pretty deep to leave room on the outside for someone trying to pass. But once I dipped a wheel in the dirt and tried to get out, I pushed them into the wall. Rear view didn't seem like they were affected much (I'll have to watch the replay to do a proper analysis).

Rest of the race was pretty straight forward, though I did manage to keep tight to P1, which surprised me. They usually wipe the floor, being an A+ driver on an alt account.

It wasn't until the end of the stint I had on RS was ending that I was really on them, I hoped they would pit early, because I was doing very well in my worn tires. We both ended up pitting at the end of L9, and were it not for ghosting on the pit exit, we'd be occupying the same space. But from then on, I just couldn't keep up on the RM tires. Finished P2 with my best points in this series. Should move me up quite a lot in the standings.

189cbbee39d43-screenshotUrl.jpg

189cbbf430592-screenshotUrl.jpg

189cbc0473f21-screenshotUrl.jpg

Post race chat was spicy ... :lol:

Qualified 7th and finished 3rd after post race adjustments. Clean race by all. P5 had jittery connection and was in that wide a@@ Mazda making clean passing impossible. Luckily he pit on lap 5 (?) and I never saw him again. Hopefully I’ll move up the rankings tomorrow.

What a thoroughly forgettable race.

No idea how I went from lead qualifying Mazda to third finishing Mazda on the same strategy as the other two guys and with no incidents, but that's what happened.🤷‍♀️

Edit: Huh. The guy in @GlockPants's post, two places ahead of him, was in my race and I outqualified him despite being fully two seconds slower than the time shown there.

Edit edit: Just checked and it should be enough to move me into Gold Main Area, Silver National and Silver Regional (already Gold Secondary Area), from just two races... I think four will be ranked at the end, so I'd need another high two-digits finish to stay there or even move up.

Last edited:
My race this morning went pretty well, US GT3 1st slot. I qualified 3rd with a time I wasn't very thrilled about, got a 1:48.6. That's almost 2s slower than my fastest time in practice, but I honestly was surprised that was good enough for 3rd. Only had one qualifying lap, messed up my second qualifying lap, went into the wall, just waited for the qualifier to finish at that point.

I started RS, got second very early as the guy in front of me crashed in the canyon section lap 1, and I held about the same pace as P1 for my stint on the softs. However, I had a horrible out lap, on cold tires I messed up in the tunnel entrance to the chicane, was losing it a bit, and got rear ended by the guy behind me, putting us both sideways. No penalty for me at least, but he tapped the wall on the way out and got a 1.5s penalty, rough.

I just kept pace the rest of my race, finished P2 with a good gap so I took it easy and safe the final two laps.

I really like the Supra at this track, loved it in the Daily races a few weeks back. I'm pretty fast here, overall happy with the results.

For reasons I won't get in to, my rig has been torn down for ~2.5 weeks so I've not played much GT at all. I can get it all set up, but it's not ideal (26" TV vs 51" TV and it's sitting much higher than what I am used to).

Regardless, I did set it up as I wanted to do this race. I only did one on the 2nd account as I am way rusty, but I love GV int he Gr3 cars so I didn't want to miss it. Thankfully, I was able to shake the rust off and get some practice laps in but my pace was ~.500" off my previous pace.

I used the - guess what? - Supra as did everyone else in the lobby. Managed a 46.2 (I think) during qual which put me on pole. Not much to report as the race was quite boring from my perspective, as I spent the whole thing by myself. I started on RS tires P2 and P3 started on RMs. It really helped me create a gap while they fought and held up P4 and P5 who were on RSs. By lap seven I was up by over eight seconds when P2 pit for RS tires; I pit for RMs on lap eight.

From there it was trying to manage as I knew P2 would start cutting the gap, which he did but once he got to about 4-5 seconds back his RSs were starting to let go where my RMs were in pretty good shape. Ended up winning it by ~ four seconds. One and done for me. Now to put all my stuff away again...

fd6ebb698f7a90feac5c2b1a011e1aa9_photo.webp

aea401a21a180de777c8bb5fc9ee32f0_photo.webp

GT1, DR A

GVH is a great track so I wanted to run this one, and always planned to do so in the Mazda. Of the 3 choices, it's comfortably my preferred option, being one of my favourite cars in Gr.3.

Slot 1, 183pt Lobby
Practice told me that my qualifying and race pace was consistent if unspectacular, so it was something to work with. I was 1 of just 2 RX-V's amongst a flock of Supra's.

Qualifying; my first lap of a 1:47.4 was surprisingly good for provisional pole. On my 2nd, I was 0.25s up before I fluffed my lines through the chicane, so I ended up 3rd.

Started on Softs, and things were quite busy. A 0.5s pen at the chicane on lap 2 dropped me to 5th, and set the tone for the race. My front left was done by lap 8, as I find it hard to manage tyre wear on pad. Not without massively sacrificing pace anyway. Went 8S/12M/10S, but I copped a 3s pit pen at my first stop :banghead:.

That put me in traffic costing more time. I saved fuel for the last stint, so I found myself 3rd. But I binned it on lap 28 before the bridge, plus a dead front left meant I was unsatisfied with 6th come the finish...

Slot 2, 216pt lobby
I wanted to go again to right those mistakes, and see what a clean result could bring. Points were pretty irrelevant, so I was running for the enjoyment really.

Both my qualifying laps felt better, my best yielding a 47.3 this time. But in a far stronger room, it meant I was 9th, 1.3s off pole. So here I started on mediums, and ran a 11M/9S/10S.

Race was largely straight forward, with only a single 0.5s track limit pen. For a good chunk I had a Supra to follow, giving me a handy tow down the main straight. Though it's comical how much worse through the twisty sector 2 they are compared to the RX-V. Ultimately it allowed me to work my up a few places early on.

Some minimal fuel saving reduced the damage of taking on fuel at the last stop, so I came out 2nd. A late stopping Supra was charging behind, so I put little effort in defending when they got past on lap 28. It wasn't worth the battle in the end.

189cbd707ab90-screenshotUrl.png

189cbd6e9ef85-screenshotUrl.png

Still, a P3 finish more than made up for slot 1, and exceeded expectations. The RX-V was a real treat, and I think more people could have had good results despite its top speed deficit, even in higher lobbies. But I suppose the allure of following the Supra sheep was too great for some /s :P.

20970573843205137.jpg

Last edited:
Had a very annoying run in the first GT3 slot this morning. Qualified 5th, started on soft and made it up to 3rd after some mistakes from the guys in front. I came out from my stop in 6th, some more pitstops and I was third again with 4th catching on softs. He caught up by lap 14 and bumped me a couple of times before pushing me out of the way into the tight section after the hairpin, but he left a gap on the next turn so I sent it down the inside and he just pushed me off the track on the one after. Ended up 10th, annoyed and losing concentration so I spun it again and finished 14th of 14.

So I went again next slot. Qualified 6th for this one after a messy session. I had easily a 1 sec gap starting my lap and it had vanished before halfway through thanks to cars fighting for position ahead.

The race went ok though. Started on mediums this time and gapped the guys behind quite nicely. 5th hit 4th in turn 1 and stopped to wait, which let me get between them. Held on to that place which turned into third by the time I stopped and came out again in 5th. 6th place had an unlucky moment as he was trying to turn into turn 1 as I came out of the pits, clipped the front of my car and got a 2 second penalty for it. Had a great battle for the final few laps, ending up 5th with 6th place right behind.

That was enough for me, especially as it got me 95pts, my highest so far.

SHARE_20230806_1155553.jpeg

Qualifying and Race from run 2.

Ran GT1 NA slot one and survived the back of the pack mayhem. Started p11 on mediums and by the time the first lap was done with barging I was in p12 due to a few off course folks taking part in the jousting.

Overall the push to pass was mostly happening to me on the first couple laps and then I had clean respectful racing til the end.

Took the mediums through 12 laps and started on my two soft stints. Caught and passed a few on worn tires and some while they pitted.

Came in with a guy I had been swapping places with on lap 21 as p9 but he nearly missed the pit and I had to take evasive action over the pit line on the right curb and missed him and also moved into p8 😁

He stayed with me for the first lap on cold softs but must have lost it somewhere on lap 23 because he was out of sight behind me.

Kept up pace hoping to reel someone in yet trying to keep in mind that this is no time to mess up either.

Held it together for p8 finish with my largest points of the series at 137.

Got a snapshot of @C_Raccoon23 at the start with door 13 in his smokin Mazda.

Congratulations to a podium @C_Raccoon23 !! 👍

BTW- @RacingGrandpa vid about the danger zones stayed with me throughout and every time I’d see one developing, I chose to live to fight another fight.
IMG_5792.jpeg
IMG_5791.jpeg

What a thoroughly forgettable race.

No idea how I went from lead qualifying Mazda to third finishing Mazda on the same strategy as the other two guys and with no incidents, but that's what happened.🤷‍♀️

Edit: Huh. The guy in @GlockPants's post, two places ahead of him, was in my race and I outqualified him despite being fully two seconds slower than the time shown there.

Edit edit: Just checked and it should be enough to move me into Gold Main Area, Silver National and Silver Regional (already Gold Secondary Area), from just two races... I think four will be ranked at the end, so I'd need another high two-digits finish to stay there or even move up.
So forgettable I forgot qualifying.

Four people - four - binned it on their second qualifying lap and returned to track on the racing line and at attack pace oblivious of the cars behind them. Except the one guy who wasn't oblivious and shoved me into the inside wall of the tunnel at the end of the lap.

People who do this need to be turned into fertiliser or fed to pigs, as that's the only benefit they'll be to humanity.

GT1, Slot 1 (19:00), Door #13

I'm not a big fan of this iteration of Grand Valley and don't think it quite suits Gr.3 cars, but wanting to continue my momentum in this championship, I gave this a go.

I decided to pick the RX-Vision for this race, complete with a black variation of the Spirit Racing livery. Once the lobby loaded, I discovered I was the sole Mazda with everyone else in Supras, which did make me concerned. I managed to qualify P7 however, and went with Mediums first.

On the first lap, I grabbed P6 after another driver got a 0.5 second track cut penalty. But as we were going through the tunnel, I noticed an arrow on my radar going sideways behind me, so an incident took place. Because of this, me and the other drivers ahead broke away from the pack very early on. All but one driver in front of me was on Soft tires and since they were also all in Supras, I wasn't surprised that they started pulling away from me. Eventually, another Supra on Softs caught up to me on lap 5 on the main straight. I gave up my position, as it wouldn't benefit me to hold him up this early in the race.

I made my first pit stop on lap 9, and put on the Softs. On my outlap, I overtook a Supra that went into the sand at the chicane after the tunnel. After everyone else made their pit stops and things settled down again, and I found myself in P5 by lap 13. Things were uneventful for the rest of the stint as most of us became pretty spread out.

Hopped into the pits one more time on lap 20 and saved a bit of time on refueling since I short shifted on the pervious stint. I came out in 8th, gaining 6th after two cars ahead did their pit stops. But during the remainder of the race, to my surprise three Supras crashed and got 1.5 second barrier penalties, allowing me to jump up to 3rd. This made me glad that I went with the Mazda, as it appeared to be the more stable car overall. I crossed the finish with no further incidents for another solid 178 points as well as a podium. :)

3DC8A5B6-05CA-464C-8C39-F38AD533067C.png

Ran GT1 NA slot one and survived the back of the pack mayhem. Started p11 on mediums and by the time the first lap was done with barging I was in p12 due to a few off course folks taking part in the jousting.

Overall the push to pass was mostly happening to me on the first couple laps and then I had clean respectful racing til the end.

Took the mediums through 12 laps and started on my two soft stints. Caught and passed a few on worn tires and some while they pitted.

Came in with a guy I had been swapping places with on lap 21 as p9 but he nearly missed the pit and I had to take evasive action over the pit line on the right curb and missed him and also moved into p8 😁

He stayed with me for the first lap on cold softs but must have lost it somewhere on lap 23 because he was out of sight behind me.

Kept up pace hoping to reel someone in yet trying to keep in mind that this is no time to mess up either.

Held it together for p8 finish with my largest points of the series at 137.

Got a snapshot of @C_Raccoon23 at the start with door 13 in his smokin Mazda.

Congratulations to a podium @C_Raccoon23 !! 👍

BTW- @RacingGrandpa vid about the danger zones stayed with me throughout and every time I’d see one developing, I chose to live to fight another fight. View attachment 1278237View attachment 1278238
Thanks for the shoutout and nice seeing you in there! :cheers:

Last edited:
Landed at the airport, Uber'd home with about 15 minutes to spare to load up the game and jump into the 2nd GT1 slot with no practice since I race a race simulation a couple weeks ago. VERY frustrating race. Q'd 5th and definitely had the speed and strategy to podium. Stupid mistakes and a few unnecessary bumps from people had me losing probably a cumulative of 15-18 seconds of time on track which would have slotted me up into the top 3. Instead I finished 6th.

Gonna give slot 3 and that will be my last race as I won't be able to do the last race on the 27th whatever it happens to be.

I got lucky with the rammer lottery this time - a certain well-known mid-A NA driver (who apparently has been ramming enough to fall down to the top of B) started ahead of me and wiped out enough people to get me a 3rd from 7th on the grid. Realllly wishing PD did something about this, it's honestly getting pathetic.

The final round is the GR Corolla at Road Atlanta.
Gotcha....yeah I'll be in the air headed to Dallas for work that Sunday so this was my last race....on the brightside I managed to end it on a semi-highnote.

Goofed qualifying a bit and ended up starting from 7th, was on a purple lap but flubbed it in the uphill switchback in the last section before the long drag race to the finish line....oh well. He who shall not be named but other US drivers here know who I'm talking about was on pole (he was also on pole in the 2nd slot as well). I really can't figure the dude out, he's fast enough to pole and win, but seems to get more fulfillment out of ruining other people's game. In any event I manage to avoid him completely in both races fortunately. But there was some carnage that I capitalized on. I think he finished last in both slots even though starting from pole each time.

Anyway, started 7th, My strategy as I mentioned before was 10 laps Med <tires/no fuel>10 laps Soft <tires/fuel> 10 laps Soft. Threaded a couple of needles caused by the carnage and was in the top 3 by time the first pit stops started. A little less that 1/2 way into my 2nd stint I came up on the leader (it appeared he was running a 1 stopper and was on decently worn Med by that point). My closing speed was pretty noticeable since I was obviously on fresh softs and I had to get by to make the most of them as I was 10 seconds ahead of the guy who was in 3rd and accidentally made some more aggressive contact than I should have . I slowed to let 1st stay ahead so I wouldn't get dinged with a penalty. Then went by a couple of corners later. By the time 3rd caught up to and passed 2nd they were now 5-6 seconds behind me, so unfortunately that goof up on my part cost me what would later potentially be a race win. Continued to to hold the lead into the last pit stop after 20 laps. Came back out a few spots down knowing that the people that went ahead would still have to pit. With 8 laps to go I passed by 2nd place in the pits and retook the lead.....but he was in a Supra on fresh RS and I was in the Mazda on lightly worn RS.....I knew he was going to chew up the lead on the straights so I was a bit of a sitting duck. Long story short he made the pass and at the finish line had a 4'ish second lead on me which had me wondering if I had not screwed up earlier could I have held him off. Oh well, I'll take a 2nd and I'm still happy.

IMG_2262.jpg

Last edited:
This probably has been covered before, but can somebody tell me why PD decided to award points based on the final race you finished instead of your highest-placed finish? It just encourages people who can probably never win to guess how high they can finish in the race (which sometimes isn’t correct) and then quit playing it once they achieve the finish, instead of continuously trying to score a better finish. I finished 8th in my first run, and tried to improve from there on, but I got divebombed, which, along with a few driver mistakes, caused me to end up dead last (I think 12th?). Unsatisfied, I then tried again at the final time slot, using the RX-Vision instead of the Supra. This time I qualified 3rd, even running as high as 2nd in the early part of the race, but again, the driver behind started reeling in, and the Mazda’s unpredictability with low grip meant that I spun in a place where it’s barely two cars’ width, and it took me probably 20 seconds just to have the car facing in the right direction again. I tried to catch back up just to scavenge a few places from my dead last, but somebody I was trying to overtake swerved left and right (not sure if due to losing control or what) and hit me. While I wasn’t impacted a lot, there was no penalty on the guy swerving. But what upsets me the most is seeing the guy who divebombed me finish 3rd. 🤬

Anyway, rant aside, it’s quite baffling to see why they would only award points on your last finish. You’d assume that they wanted more players to play continuously, especially with the ranking credits rewards in a game that is stingy in terms of its payouts vs. car prices. Another problem is how a player who finished close to a lap behind (~1:30) and got slapped with a 1-minute penalty for not observing tyre rules can still finish ahead of a player who was a little above a lap behind, but that’s less of a nuisance considering it’s a less easy fix. :indiff:

Latest Posts

Back