Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2023 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 582 comments
After a couple days practicing a race length (12 for GT3) I've improved my time a good amount. A 1:34.6xx, not tremendous, but I'm at least a couple hundredths off my friend at the top of my list currently. About 1 second off my region leader's pace.

The amount of risk involved to push in a hot lap is unsustainable over multiple laps for me. I'm curious how many laps it takes the top players to set their laps or how many penalties they receive.

I feel relatively comfortable and I think I can put in a clean race if I'm not pushing too hard. Track limits are a pain here and if you manage to stay within the limits, you should be in a good position to take advantage when others go off and also serve penalties.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!
I've just put in a lap of 1:34.820 today and was consist with 1:35.xxx when I didn't get a penalty 😂

Managed 3 laps in a row at 1:35.xxx without a penalty or an off.

I'll be jumping on the first slot tomorrow morning.

Good luck everyone, should be fun / eventful.

Gonna be all about tire management and traffic tomorrow.
I went into the Yaris event expecting a fight but ending up winning that so hoping for the same tomorrow.
Hopefully trying to maintain top 30 in the US against some of the fastest guys.

Feeling pretty good with the car with averages like these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230826_234651_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826_234651_Chrome.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230827_001404.jpg
    20230827_001404.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Last race for me. Not particularly good at this track and didn’t think much of the car. Qualified P14 so knew it was just about keeping out of trouble.

Driving standards were pretty good but I crashed from P9 and ended 12th. Got demoted to D, (I was a B in GT Sport) and lost 1,000,000 credits from the rankings prize.

I think that’s probably it for me and GT7 for now. Back to 100%’ing the GTA games

Wow, what a race.

I actually enjoyed that.

Qualified 12th. I left myself room on the straight on the outlap to go for a good qual. Car in front took a 1sec penalty and jumped straight back on the racing line about 2 cars distance ahead. Could clearly see I was coming through faster but instead of letting me through to get a good lap he went slow through the final chicane and I slammed the back and lost a lot of time (1:39) and also gained a 1sec penalty so I quit qualifying and just took the 12th spot.

As suspected turn one and 2 had a bit of carnage, not as much as I thought there would be, but I got through unscathed as I could see it unfolding.

Managed to get into 4th half way through due to a few other incidents.

I caught up to 2 and 3 as they had been battling constantly and slowing each other down. So I sat behind with a little sapce to see how they were racing.

P3 starting getting pushy and hit P2 but they managed to stay on course in the same positions. At that point I put the pressure on P3 and they started making more mistakes.

Unfortunately it was the last chicane on lap 11 they slid a little and lost speed, as I had some speed I tried to undertake over the curb and I bumped the back coming out, no sliding and no issues from the bump but I should have waited to overtake on the last lap and kept the pressure on as I think I would have been fine then.

Gained a half sec penalty and then at the end of sector two I made a mistake and caught the gravel and took another half sec penality... On the last lap 😭

P5 had been a fair distance behind but because I had the penalty, I took a look behind and thought that they would catch me before the chicane so instead of being defensive I just moved over and let them through so that they and I could finish a good race.

Shame to lose 4th after so long and nearly taking 3rd but was worth the fun battle then to ruin it.

Happy with the result from 12th to 5th and was a much better race than I thought it would be.

Fingers crossed I am still 1st in my region tomorrow as have been since race 2 🤞🏻

Good luck to everyone else.

18a363a64ff37-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_433440476178839_1693126860073.jpg

Last edited:
I might give that another go later. Qualifying and the first ~5 laps of the race were pretty painful, I had zero confidence on the brakes into the final chicane so lots of time was squirreling away there (including in Q, where I ended up in the sand pit on my lap). This culminated in a misjudgement where I was trying to let someone back through but got in the way of someone else, which was my fault unfortunately. But S1 at Road Atlanta I've always found a good flow for, so once I started hooking up the second half of the lap things started going well, and eventually got a nice recovery to P8. The result got me 80 points, which improves my final score by a whopping one point.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20230827113151.jpg
Got off to a bad start, picked up a 1s time penalty for sliding across the apex of the chicane on my outlap. So first qualy lap ruined before it begun. Held it together for the next two laps to get 4th on the grid. Top two on the grid had set times that indicated I had no chance to beat them in straight fight.

Held fourth for most of the first lap until the chicane, one of those top two slid off and baulked third so up to second I went. Held it for a while, but I was never going to stay ahead of the recovering third place driver, through he went and off into the distance. From there on I just had to keep it clean and fast with a couple of cars not far behind ready to pick up on mistakes on my part.

I did the last round and won on my first try!! I'm really happy, especially since I hate racing online on this track :D
But I have a question for you guys : Right after the race, just before quitting the lobby, I got an error message "An unexpected error as occured" or something like that : Will my win/reward be saved??

Why do you say that? It's 1x tire wear for 12 laps. Can't imagine the tires will wear much at all.
They don't.

It's a nasty car under braking for some reason, but most of the stupidity in my race was people just aiming at an apex with a car alongside. Still, if I hadn't misjudged the final chicane in qualifying I might have started a bit ahead of the bludgeoning morons.

Also what the hell is up with the track limits? I got dinged half a second through turn one on one lap and I was nowhere near going off track. That uphill left-hander (Turn 5, I guess) is savage for them too.

But I have a question for you guys : Right after the race, just before quitting the lobby, I got an error message "An unexpected error as occured" or something like that : Will my win/reward be saved??
That's a firm "maybe" for the result (likely not), but the reward only requires you to have entered any race in the TGRGT Cup, not this one specifically. Even if you score zero on this round due to the disconnect, you entered it...

Did two slots this morning in the hope of securing some decent points to finish the series.

Lets just say that my efforts will not be troubling the scorers :boggled:

Despite several practice sessions I am unable to string together two decent laps, let alone the twelve required to complete the race.

End result, terrible 40 minutes trying to manouevre an Ice Block on Roller Skates around an unforgiving strip of tarmac.

Going to wait until overall results time to see the impact.

That's a firm "maybe" for the result (likely not), but the reward only requires you to have entered any race in the TGRGT Cup, not this one specifically. Even if you score zero on this round due to the disconnect, you entered it...
Thanks, but the 12 points in the last round can change the final local ranking and then the total credit reward, that's what I was referring as "reward"

Thanks, but the 12 points in the last round can change the final local ranking and then the total credit reward, that's what I was referring as "reward"
Then also "maybe". Did you receive your mileage and your end-race credits?

Also what the hell is up with the track limits? I got dinged half a second through turn one on one lap and I was nowhere near going off track. That uphill left-hander (Turn 5, I guess) is savage for them too.

I've not managed it myself but I've seen penalties given for crossing the pit exit line, which of course absolutely shouldn't be a thing when you're not exiting the pits.

Let's go, yessss! 🥳🥳 Got exactly what was needed tonight, I am very happy. Only practiced for like 20 minutes in total, and not since a few days (busy in personal life, in a good way). Quali was scary, I think I did a highish 1.36 which was very bad and not according to my skill level.

But the race then, played it smart, fought and made passes when needed, took advantage of others mistakes. And I was rewarded for my effort with a P8 141 points, and also my solid driving led to nice championship results. A huge payout is waiting. 😏

I am projected to stay 4th or 5th for Domestic rankings (Finns play more proper sims or rally games tbh, I am an average GT1 A DR pleb), and regional ranking was 160th before tonight. My best 4 scores gave me 640 pts, now tonight's score bumps my total score up to 652 points. Usually I practiced more this season, especially on race days, but today I just went with the flow, and still did the minimum goal I gave myself (140 points or more).

What a wonderful week, salary increase and my first own apartment soon, and even GT7 TGR GT Cup went so well, wow. I guess you could say that if you work hard enough in life and don't give up, you can get rewarded. As a survivor of school bullying, women relationships gone bad and all other negative things, they never slowed me down. I do not know what giving up means, I work hard, until I cannot do any better. All the bad things made me a winner in life, from the bottom of the well, there is only one way out, up. Work hard little by little, and things ought to turn out to the good. 🤝 Iron Maiden - Wasted Years was the song that turned my life around years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_173106225_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230827_173106225_HDR.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230827_173207667_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230827_173207667_HDR.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230827_173143636_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230827_173143636_HDR.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230827_175649480_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230827_175649480_HDR.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 5
Just went again and got a podium behind another British driver (who's obviously not a DR B!), just snatching second from a Turkish driver who had an absolute nightmare on the final chicane - allowing both of us past - after a German driver who'd led most of the race binned it for a third time at Turn 5.

Still can't do Turn 1 - I was passed three times there! - but got a clean race with no penalties and started in I think 7th so yay. Got double the points of my first attempt, so might make top 50 UK with just three results instead of four :lol:

My wifi broke down and I used my mobile data for another race which was a bad idea.

The race started and all the cars were on the grid but none of them moved and I just moved through them. Ended up doing the entire 12 laps alone but by the end of the race my position dropped from 1st to 5th. It was like a live time trial lol

I don't know how I looked like in the other players screen but I really, really hope I didn't crash into them the whole time. My safety rating didn't drop to A+ though so maybe it was fine though I imagine people would think I'm hacking or something.

Here is the race replay, it was tough and inconsistent at times due to lack of practice, but I survived my mistakes and drove good enough, all things considered.

And I have to say, I don't know if the songs chosen (broadcast mode on) were random. I assume they are? But in any case, words like "there's no way out" stuck in P9, and then song changes, and I move to P8. And then on lap 10 or 11 the song goes "catch me if you can". 😁 Pretty poetic I'd say 😎.

Last edited:
Decided to take part in this to obtain the free Corolla, GR010, and ranking bonuses as a one-off. Never competed in a GR Cup race before, so went in without any expectations and just wanted a fun, clean race. I competed in the 5pm slot, an all B/S lobby, running board #10.

Qualified 3rd on a 1:35.461, a tenth off pole, with an identical time to a French guy in 2nd. However, I set the time first and the timing table had me in 2nd until the session was over so I was left a bit miffed but whatever.

It wouldn't matter in the end, as I stormed into the lead before we even reached T1 with an excellent launch, then led for the rest of the race and won with an almost ten-second buffer. I was hit by a reckless late braker at the end of the straight on the first lap, but recovered just in time to prevent a pass by an innocent bystander. I opened a big gap out front until later on, when I made life harder for myself by cutting the chicane on two consecutive laps losing about five seconds from penalties and the subsequent speed loss on the straight. But my closest challengers tussled in the closing claps enabling me to open the gap back up to what it had been and take a comfortable victory in a rather lonely race.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20230827173218.jpg

The race could've benefited from some tyre/fuel management, but had I been in amongst the pack I guess I could've had myself a nice little sprint race. I bag 98 points for what it's worth, and look forward to receiving the participation bonuses. :cool:

Last edited:
Just realised we could do with the car on the GTP pool account so went for a run in the US server.

I don't know whether it's that or the fact the pool account is at DR D, but it may as well be a totally different car. Absolutely planted, waaaaay more confidence in every corner, braking 50m later for T1, and nearly a second a lap faster than in my own account...

I'm incredibly pleased with my result today and only had to go once!

GT3 - DR/SR B/S vs mostly B and some A drivers

Sporting the #6 door

During practice my best time was 1:34.685 which as of this post is ranked #1486. Before the race today, I would practice a grid start to give me any advantage into T1.

Qualifying went well for me. Even though I feel I didn't put down that great of a lap. My lap of 1:35.929 was holding provisional pole until the time expired and a friend of mine in the lobby set a 1:35.583 ... not bad. I decided I wouldn't fight too hard during the race, just keep it clean and try to keep it within track limits.

As for the race, I'm glad I practiced the start to T1. I went a bit on the outside while P1 took the inside line. I had a slight drift going but I managed to keep everything in control.

18a380fecc196-screenshotUrl.jpg

That's me in the grey car, just a little loose through there. But luckily not as loose as some cars behind.

Lap 1 was pretty clean and P1 and I took off from the rest of the field. I was plenty satisfied staying P2 behind my friend, but if he opened themselves up, I'm not one to hesitate for the overtake.

So I just kept it clean, slowly inching closer every lap. Until the end of Lap 7, P1 over steered on the left turn off the chicane and I took an inside line on the right hander, neck and neck going up the hill for the final turn. With the inside line, I knew I had it done. Start of Lap 8, P1!

18a381004e030-screenshotUrl.jpg

From here on out, it was just try to keep it clean to the end. My lead was building but one mistake or penalty could spoil my victory.

Things were looking good, then on Lap 11 I'd set the fastest lap with a 1:35.390 ... just one more lap to bring it all home.

18a380f9bfa3-screenshotUrl.jpg

Great race and this should place me top 5 overall in my region depending on how the two above me perform.

Back