Gran Turismo Unpopular Opinions Thread

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 791 comments
I suppose I should quantify that by saying I like it for a lot of the reasons I see criticism of it on here. I like the track list, the cars, the way it looks, handles and sounds, and I can say with some certainty that I get more enjoyment and satisfaction from the game than any previous Gran Turismo. I'll also quite comfortably have put more time into Sport than 3 or 4 by the time it's finished, if I haven't already.

I also think Sport mode has made me a much better racer, and that a vast majority of complaints people have about dirty driving could be avoided if they had better racecraft.

Yup, very much agreed and same here.

a vast majority of complaints people have about dirty driving could be avoided if they had better racecraft.

Totally agree. If you are constantly feeling victimized by dirty driving then you are part of the problem. It’s relatively easy to maintain a high SR rating.

Last edited:
I think it's the exact opposite, the DS4 has "magic" in it compared to a wheel. I used my DS4 about a week ago for the first time in 6 months, first lap was just as fast as my Fanatec and the car was much harder to spin the rear tires and the car also seemed to have much shorter braking distances.
The game is bias towards the ds4. It has to be. Ppl wouldn't buy the game,if they had to spend 100's on a wheel n rig, before they became competitive. I understand why the game was built around the ds4.
I use a wheel n rig, in Gt5, it was an advantage to have a wheel. It's not any more. But I do get a more immersed game play experience. I am jyst as fast with my DS4 as I am on my wheel set up.
That is weird.

If I recall. That's when we got the nascar cars and many many bugs were fixed. It was a great time.

GT5 had NASCAR at launch. 2.0 just brought the 2011 models.

I would like to add 2.0 also brought the Garage Editor / save file editing which basically ruined online lobbies.

GT5 had NASCAR at launch. 2.0 just brought the 2011 models.

I would like to add 2.0 also brought the Garage Editor / save file editing which basically ruined online lobbies.

Never ruined online lobbies for me as I stuck to Shuffle racing & 1 make racing, so, there was no way to cheat with hybrids.

If I may explain:

Version 2.00 didn't "add" the Garage Editor and save file editing. The tools, which required a computer to use, were released to the public sometime after the release of Spec 2.0, which was the real problem; since their public release, people abused them, which meant that every single update after Version 2.11 (apart from fixing DLC access issues) attempted to prevent the usage of modifications in-game. For the most part, they were successful, but some others found workarounds which didn't give them as much freedom than compared to before.

There were still some annoyances though that never got fixed, such as players corrupting a car's data that, when loaded in an online lobby, would cause all consoles connected to the session to soft-lock; quite an inconvenience to online lobbies indeed. In addition, even though the tools were released after the release of Spec 2.0, they still worked on older versions of the game, even the base version. It was because the tools were released publicly and were basically advertised all over the Internet that caused the experiences for some players to be dramatically affected.

Tools were also made for GT6, in which were made very early within the game's active life, I might add. Yet, the authors of these tools didn't release them to the public this time, and the only few tools released (post-2016) require a modified console to even take advantage of their features. PoDi was also super-quick to detect any would-be players using modifications online, as the game performs a multitude of checks when you're connected and signed-in.

If I recall. That's when we got the nascar cars and many many bugs were fixed. It was a great time.
You forget the most important thing: Much, much faster loading time and ability to forward and rewind replays.

(I know there are alot of other things like standard car cockpit view and DLC but those two are the most important)

I can count on my hands how many times I used rain in GT6 of my own volition and honestly couldn't care less if it was in Sport or not, and really I'd prefer it not to be.

Why do you prefer it not being there? Rain would be optional on a per race basis, no?

Seeing people wearing gloves while playing with a wheel seems a bit over the top and gives me a chuckle.

To be fair, I get sweaty palms during an intense race when there’s a lot on the line or I’m being pushed to my limit, and that’s just my lazy ass on a couch with my DS4. I’d imagine the last thing you’d want in a world finals race, which is much more intense, is your hands to be slipping from the wheel. So maybe the gloves have more of a purpose than you think?

If I may explain:

Version 2.00 didn't "add" the Garage Editor and save file editing. The tools, which required a computer to use, were released to the public sometime after the release of Spec 2.0, which was the real problem; since their public release, people abused them, which meant that every single update after Version 2.11 (apart from fixing DLC access issues) attempted to prevent the usage of modifications in-game. For the most part, they were successful, but some others found workarounds which didn't give them as much freedom than compared to before.

There were still some annoyances though that never got fixed, such as players corrupting a car's data that, when loaded in an online lobby, would cause all consoles connected to the session to soft-lock; quite an inconvenience to online lobbies indeed. In addition, even though the tools were released after the release of Spec 2.0, they still worked on older versions of the game, even the base version. It was because the tools were released publicly and were basically advertised all over the Internet that caused the experiences for some players to be dramatically affected.

Tools were also made for GT6, in which were made very early within the game's active life, I might add. Yet, the authors of these tools didn't release them to the public this time, and the only few tools released (post-2016) require a modified console to even take advantage of their features. PoDi was also super-quick to detect any would-be players using modifications online, as the game performs a multitude of checks when you're connected and signed-in.

What did these tools allow people to do? I don’t remember hearing about any of this back then.

What did these tools allow people to do? I don’t remember hearing about any of this back then.

Pretty harmless at first. Started with the 100,000 horsepower Civic Type R everyone was trading around. Mod your save file for cash, paints, cars. Paint non-paintable cars. Typical stuff.

But eventually cheaters worked out how to mod a car to be PP restricted (like 500PP, for example) yet still have 6-figure horsepower. They could skirt HP/weight restrictions, too.

Naturally by the end there was no way to know who was legit or not. No way to know if that guy was just faster than you, or had modded his car to have +20 horsepower more than yours at the same PP level.

Luckily I moved on to GTA and GT6 before the worst of the modding took over. But in that short period of time it ruined PP racing and Drag racing.

The only thing I care about in the March 28 update is the competition version of the X2014 and maybe the Countach. Otherwise I couldn't care less about the update short of them springing a surprise Grand Valley Speedway on us.

Back