Gravel: New Off-Road Racer Coming to PS4, XB1 & PC Early 2018

Have you thought maybe they designed it to kinda compare FH3 so that they can kinda experience it on PS?
I have.

I wasn't asking a question to represent everyone to be fair, it was more that I already have a game that does everything Gravel has to offer, and am wondering why I would need a second if I'm still actively playing the first.

I have.

I wasn't asking a question to represent everyone to be fair, it was more that I already have a game that does everything Gravel has to offer, and am wondering why I would need a second if I'm still actively playing the first.

Exactly. And why take the risk on, apologizes to Milestone, a game which probably has some good ideas, but are so half-baked that you shouldn't bother?

That is pretty much every Milestone game nowadays. Good ideas, tapping into unseen markets in racing, but their enthusiasm for racing is oftentimes not enough to mask their pretty obvious talent deficiency.

I have.

It's easy, don't want it, don't buy it.
Others could choose to have both or not.

I have a PS4 so I can't play FH3 so this game could be something I could enjoy.

It's easy, don't want it, don't buy it.
Done.

I was just expressing my opinion, and pointing out that this game is going to have a lot of competition. There's already 1 established competitor + a few more games coming along.

Hopefully the game is good enough to hold its own, more solid racing titles is a good thing :)

...That is pretty much every Milestone game nowadays. Good ideas, tapping into unseen markets in racing, but their enthusiasm for racing is oftentimes not enough to mask their pretty obvious talent deficiency.
I still feel that it's more a lack of cash than of talent. We'll see for sure now that they are working with UE4 rather than the pale software engine they had until now.

Regardless of coding skill levels, I'll very likely still enjoy the game in the same way that I enjoy small studio indie games with weird premises...they're enjoyable to have alongside the other, bigger studio titles.

I still feel that it's more a lack of cash than of talent. We'll see for sure now that they are working with UE4 rather than the pale software engine they had until now.

Regardless of coding skill levels, I'll very likely still enjoy the game in the same way that I enjoy small studio indie games with weird premises...they're enjoyable to have alongside the other, bigger studio titles.

It's probably both. But I'm not exactly willing to see what it is, because my patience is running thin with Milestone. Even playing SLR Evo, you can see that they have done some things really right (Mainly, good locations and a car list that spanks DiRT Rally 9/10) but other times, it is painfully obvious that their output, especially in regards to graphics and framerate, is woefully inadequate.

Can't really figure out if it is game or rl but this image shows on their preorder page:

game-features.png

Screens:
http://cdnext.gravelvideogame.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/

I am on my phone so not sure if there is new stuff.

Looks to be real life @doblocruiser - as good as Unreal Engine 4 can be, it isn't that good. I think they're probably giving a nod to real world sport that will be in the game. I'm interested in the lower right picture of the rocks: will there be any mountain climbs, I wonder?

Looks to be real life @doblocruiser - as good as Unreal Engine 4 can be, it isn't that good. I think they're probably giving a nod to real world sport that will be in the game. I'm interested in the lower right picture of the rocks: will there be any mountain climbs, I wonder?

With a bigger screen I see as well that it is not in game. Thought my eyes were fooling me for a second. Title is definitely on my radar and the stuff they have shown with the UE4 in MXGP3 gives serious good hopes for this one.

With a bigger screen I see as well that it is not in game. Thought my eyes were fooling me for a second. Title is definitely on my radar and the stuff they have shown with the UE4 in MXGP3 gives serious good hopes for this one.
No worries. UE4 could quite possibly be made to look almost as real, I'm sure, but as with Driveclub's team they'd need some top end coding talent on the team.

We're now in the Summer 2017 release window (initially when this game was expected to be released) and barely anything has been mentioned about this title since the unveiling. I can only assume Milestone are tactically waiting for the hype surrounding DiRT 4 to cool down before discussing further details. :P

Also a number of retailers where you can pre-order Gravel from have August 31st as a placeholder date. Still not far off.

EDIT: Found this image on the Steam page, I've never come across it before. Seems to be a rallycross race in a stadium?

ss_24554a07aa5d187767a97b71cccc7efd1da6e5e0.jpg

Nevermind, the stadium was also included in the unveiling footage.

Last edited:
@FT-1 Very true, there is not much news they are busy working away on it :sly: I also read 31 August on quite a few places (initially it was going to be July Summer17). From what I have played/seen in MXGP3 (PS4 Pro) the Unreal engine is a big step up in graphics and replays/lighting and i am looking forward to playing this one!
http://gravelvideogame.com/
16_Screen_Gravel.jpg

This is from their official website and looks like there will be some 'open' driving over Cross Country :D

02_Screen_Gravel.jpg

"Gravel will offer an experience unique to its kind: Milestone’s pedigree in simulation is valued here with physics grounded in reality, but fun will be the main focus, among wild drifting on the different terrains, crazy jumps and impossible maneuvers.

The variety of powerful vehicles, from trophy trucks to rally legends, will offer many different approaches to the driving experience, and the wide offer of environments will have you strapped in for an unforgettable world tour.

Among deserts, jungles and snowy mountains you will have to shine in each and every discipline, whether it’s the wide open maps of the Cross Country or the narrow tracks of the Speed Cross. Become the ultimate Master or take part in some wild competition in the online game modes: Gravel will always have some fun ready for you!"

01_Screen_Gravel.jpg

FEATURES
Wild rush game mode
The wildest locations around the world make for a perfect theater to host the Offroad Masters show. Tracks made to show yourself and crush your opponents, without holding anything back.
Cross country game mode
Wide, open maps perfect to race with opponents in checkpoint competitions or to explore freely. Drive without boundaries, and steal the show!
Speed cross game mode
Take the fight into real tracks, and show your true skills as an offroad driver!
Stadium circuit game mode
Arenas filled with spectacular jumps: feel the roar of the crowd and launch your vehicle in extreme acrobatics!
Gravel channel
Everything you do in Gravel is for the show: Offroad Masters, hosted by Gravel Channel, is the wildest offroad show on earth, and you are entitled to beat the Masters and take the top spot in the competition. Will you be up to the task?

http://milestone.it/game_post/gravel/?lang=en

This is a nice little report on the unreal engine /Milestone Gravel 👍
blogAssets%2F2017%2FJUNE+2017%2FMIU+-+Gravel%2FFEATURE_MIU_Gravel-1920x960-5b484a74bc00dd938c5c738fc9601fac9251540e.jpg

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...-of-motorsports-experience-off-road-in-gravel

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Last edited:
https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/gravel-milestone-interview
How many different vehicles will there be in the game? What about tracks/levels?

Gravel features more than 50 of the best offroad vehicles ever created. We basically have the finest selection of cars from the '70s to 2017, including Group B rally cars, American trophy trucks, cross-country vehicles, rallycross cars, Group S prototypes, some brand-new vehicles such as the 2017 Abarth 124 and legendary brands such as Ford, Lancia, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Renault, Chevrolet, BMW and many more. "And let me show off a little bit; we also got Porsche! When they said “yes” after reading the game design documents, it felt like Christmas day."

^^ I originally missed this interview, and just came across it again and it looks like they have Porsche confirmed for off road. How will this work with Porsche off road? :sly:

uzhtuily9yf0wa2uadql.jpg

porsche-911-safari-is-the-offroad-sportscar-zuffenhausen-should-make-for-halloween-101566_1.jpg

2016-06-03-09-img-020a-Rich-Minga-504-1989RM.jpg

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/gravel-milestone-interview
How many different vehicles will there be in the game? What about tracks/levels?

Gravel features more than 50 of the best offroad vehicles ever created. We basically have the finest selection of cars from the '70s to 2017, including Group B rally cars, American trophy trucks, cross-country vehicles, rallycross cars, Group S prototypes, some brand-new vehicles such as the 2017 Abarth 124 and legendary brands such as Ford, Lancia, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Renault, Chevrolet, BMW and many more. "And let me show off a little bit; we also got Porsche! When they said “yes” after reading the game design documents, it felt like Christmas day."

^^ I originally missed this interview, and just came across it again and it looks like they have Porsche confirmed for off road. How will this work with Porsche off road? :sly:

uzhtuily9yf0wa2uadql.jpg

porsche-911-safari-is-the-offroad-sportscar-zuffenhausen-should-make-for-halloween-101566_1.jpg

2016-06-03-09-img-020a-Rich-Minga-504-1989RM.jpg
Don't forget this

b48e04cb4379328c4df65228ba8229f9.jpg

:)

...From what I have played/seen in MXGP3 (PS4 Pro) the Unreal engine is a big step up in graphics and replays/lighting and i am looking forward to playing this one!

This is from their official website and looks like there will be some 'open' driving over Cross Country :D

02_Screen_Gravel.jpg

01_Screen_Gravel.jpg

Durn, those two pictures are looking more and more like FUEL, except current-gen. I'm guessing these are for the Wild Rush mode. That was always lots of fun in FUEL with make you own route to the finish point. Maybe it'll revive another feature from that game and allow us to create Point to Point races of our own for online.

We're now in the Summer 2017 release window (initially when this game was expected to be released) and barely anything has been mentioned about this title since the unveiling...
They are getting better with hyping but classically they've announced games, then say nothing until the week they launch. Now that they are a wider-market developer, maybe that'll change - but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Durn, those two pictures are looking more and more like FUEL, except current-gen. I'm guessing these are for the Wild Rush mode. That was always lots of fun in FUEL with make you own route to the finish point. Maybe it'll revive another feature from that game and allow us to create Point to Point races of our own for online.

They are getting better with hyping but classically they've announced games, then say nothing until the week they launch. Now that they are a wider-market developer, maybe that'll change - but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

August 31st has come up in a few retail places lately (Amazon etc),I guess it could be a placeholder but I hope we hear some more new soon, I am really looking forward to this game. I think I am going to enjoy this one!..👍

August 31st has come up in a few retail places lately (Amazon etc),I guess it could be a placeholder but I hope we hear some more new soon, I am really looking forward to this game. I think I am going to enjoy this one!..👍
indeed, it's my thought that likely it is a placeholder as online retailers tend to do that when nothing has yet been announced. Got to see how things go, but I'm hoping to get this one when it arrives as I enjoy the Raid and Trophy truck style off-road more than the Rally-Cross discipline in the DiRT games. People complained about Gymkhana, for me it was the Rally-Cross.

I asked on Twitter if they had news to share and I got a very convincing bird image nodding NO!

I wonder if we are still set for a summer release. It is very silent on their front.

I mean, I'm still interested, but Milestone games are often times good showings of their ideas, but woefully lack in the gameplay department, and especially graphically.

So I'm going to wait and maybe take a flier out on the game later.

I mean, I'm still interested, but Milestone games are often times good showings of their ideas, but woefully lack in the gameplay department, and especially graphically...
Bear in mind that this time it's the Unreal 4 game engine they're using, already a huge difference for MXGP3 over the first two.

Personally, I liked their WRC titles, sure the gamepley was limited to what Rallying entails but I think the gameplay in Gravel will be a big step up as it's essentially has fantasy elements like Motorstorm and FUEL had. Like I say though, that's me :)

I can understand the delay given how crowded the racing game market will be at the end of the year, but then again it will still face competition from The Crew 2, which offers a similar style of offroad racing and so much more.

I really hope there is going to be a splitscreen. Game is looking very promising for me, fun arcade offroad racing, with some Motorstorm vibe. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Back