Grease monkey engineering!! - The Last Hurrah!!

• Thread starter mafia_boy
  • 208 comments
500 Words or Less.

The SP badge will always be a little bit special to me because, 1. It's turbocharged and 2. I'm 90% sure that the Aussies had a hand in it's creation. The SP as stated is a turbocharged version of whatever Mazda attach a turbo to, minus the 3 and 6 MPS models. It started with a RX-7 and more recently an SP has be made from an RX-8 for Targa Tasmania.

Right, so this GME tune has around the 158kw gained from a small turbine, sports exhaust and some new to help it round the twisties.

Starting off with an issue that first struck me with a Duetto comparison earlier. Driving around Motegi the car never feels directly connected to the chassis but rather it feels like your driving a chassis which then drives another chassis connected to the road. It's hard to explain but both the MX-5 and the Duetto suffer from it so I'm suspecting it's the open roof. I as a driver prefer stiffer dampers and springs, so it maybe a conflict of interests between me and the car.

I wasn't at Motegi thought, I was at Laguna Seca, owned or at least sponsored by Mazda so it seemed appropriate. Driving the SP felt quite detached and numb. It was also rather conservatively tuned with a bias, a fairly heavy bias, toward understeer. For the most part it's controllable with the throttle. In fact the car reacts very well to throttle steer so I won't make it a sacrificial pig, not yet anyway.

Flying down the straight is an obvious use of the wrong type of imagery. It feels rather slow down the curvy straight. On the plus side the car pulls strongly up the back hill and as no problems coming down the other side of the corkscrew.

I was lucky to partake in some exhibition races with the fastest machinery on the planet, namely a V8 Development Supercar and a BMW Williams Formula 1 car so I feel the paltry 158 kw can be excused.

This should go down well with boi racers. The turbo in reality does pack a potent punch when you can mention it in the same sentence as S15 Silvia. I'm sure this would give the S15 a run for it's money in a straight line and will smash it in the bends.

So really then we have a conclusion. The MX-5 is a fun, semi-functional car. The SP takes it up a notch and gives it some proper go compared to it's other Japanese rivals in the turbo 4 segment to turn a hairdresser into a hair dryer.

Camryfan, thanks for the review of the MX-5 SP and I'd like to see how you'd do in it's bigger brother, the RS-R around Laguna Seca, the extra 100Kw makes a huge difference. 👍

As for your introduction, the factory car was 100% Aussie designed by Allan Horsley as I said in it's introduction, often without Hiroshima's permission. Only after he does it and it's results start speaking for themselves do they listen. The RX-7 SP is the perfect example of Allan not listening to them. What do Mazda back at Hiroshima do in respect of his achievements?? Name their own model the Bathurst R. ;) Mazda came out with the MX-5 SE, which was a watery turbo version, and Mr.Horsley improved on it by making the SP. ;)

Now, onto other matters.

PF - I've taken Hakosuka out to Las Vegas. With it's current settings and using R5's + 100hp NOS shot, it's pulled the following numbers on it's best run:
0-100km/h: 3.94sec
0-160km/h: 7.02sec
1/4 Mile: 11.429@219km/h

Now, with some small adjustments (drag suspension setup, ballast, LSD, downforce & TCS), I could probably hit the 10's without much trouble, and that's without resorting to any weight reduction overall. 👍 It was mainly the lack of TCS that was holding me back from running faster times at the moment. :yuck:

As for big batch #2, three tunes are already complete, with another two or three near completion. Of the near complete cars, they will be some of GME's most powerful cars yet but still adhering to the factory division policy. And the piece de resistance if it's contained, will be to venture into the quad digit zone, something only MFT has been crazy enough to do so far.

Wait and see what the monkey's have cooking for you. :cool:

Last edited:
All good Camryfan and sorry if I sounded boring then. :P I'm like you, I'm a passionate fan of the SP's. Seeing them whip the Porsche 911 evolutions for 4yrs straight, including the 911 RSCS all across Eastern Creek in 1995 was the best thing to see as a teenager loving small engined cars. :D

Thanks for letting me know about the '70 Skyline. I'm moving house atm and have lost the printout, but will let you know how it travels once all is organised.

Join the club PF, I'm relocating aswell.....many kilometres from where I currently am. :cool: So I feel your pain. But yeah, from what I can gather, I'd expect nothing less than a mid to high-10 from the Hakosuka. 10.499 would be a good target to go for.

It's a lovely base model. I was playing with a 1970 Galant (in that vomitous orange co,lour) trying to win another 70 Skyline, and the GT-R smashes most of the other cars in the Japan 70s series. There's a lot of fun to be had with this car, methinks

Try it with my Fuji tune mate and you can't go wrong. 👍 I tried to minimise wheelspin on takeoff, at the expense of bogging it a bit which cost it a little in 1/4 times but apart from that, I'm pleased as punch with that car...after the move I'm using it for the 1000 miles and hunting for a Jag & Cobra lineup. :D

Ok mate, I have a request:
Can you do me a '70 Galant (as mentioned before) that can get 50-80 Aspec in the Japanese 70s race? Take your time with it, cause there's lots of other stuff for me to do atm...

Just finalising testing of it PF and you should have the settings in a couple of minutes. :cool: 1st race at Fuji was a win against BOTH GT-R's (KPGC10 & KPGC110) getting me 69pts.!! I'm trying the other tracks now over some late lunch. ;)

I know you said take your time, but I wanted an excuse to do something different. :)

Just finalising testing of it PF and you should have the settings in a couple of minutes. :cool: 1st race at Fuji was a win against BOTH GT-R's (KPGC10 & KPGC110) getting me 69pts.!! I'm trying the other tracks now over some late lunch. ;)

I know you said take your time, but I wanted an excuse to do something different. :)

Bewdy mate, that's awesome.

My wife had the computer....so I had to wait. :grumpy::lol:

QUICK TUNE - '70 Galant GTO, 0.0km version for PF

Only 145hp produced after mods.

Parts to get
Oil Change
Racing Chip
Port & Polish
Engine Balancing
FC Gearbox
Triple Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
N2 Tyres

Settings
Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.8/6.0
Height: 110/110
Damper Bound: 4/3
Damper Rebound: 7/6
Camber: 1.5/1.2
Toe Angle: 1/-1
Stabilisers: 5/5

Gearbox
Leave auto settings at default (autoset 5 @ 4.222) and set ratios as follows:
1st: 2.875
2nd: 2.050
3rd: 1.550
4th: 1.225
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.850
Final: 4.222

LSD
Initial: 18
Acceleration: 22
Deceleration: 26

This got me the following scores:
Fuji 80's - 69pts.
Autumn Ring Mini - 57pts.
Tsukuba - 48pts.
Motorland Reverse - 50pts. (done on 2nd attempt....damn hakosuka!)
Trial Mountain - 39pts. (weak as line-up).

Just remember, this is only a quick tune up just to get you what you wanted PF. It will get some sharper teeth (and the usual tune layout) if I tag it to receive a full fledged GME tune. 👍

Now, onto the next task. :cool:

Last edited:
My wife had the computer....so I had to wait. :grumpy::lol:

Quick tune-up of '70 Galant GTO, 0.0km version. Only 145hp produced after mods.

Just remember, this is only a quick tune up just to get you what you wanted PF. It will get some sharper teeth (and the usual tune layout) if I tag it to receive a full fledged GME tune. 👍

Now, onto the next task. :cool:

Bloody ripper mate. Thanks very much, will let you know how it goes...

Hey mafia boy, someone told me that ur good with FF cars so I'm here requesting for help. Can u help me improve the times of my '95 Integra DC2 on 400m, 1000m, and also get higher speed in max speed race? cause I did an experiment with 5 FF cars and those 3 races. At the end, I looked at the results and I'm surprise the Integra came in last in all 3, even though it's 2nd lightest car among 5, and it's not the car with lowest hp

Last edited:
I saw this same question in Pimped Out and was puzzled why you didn't come here first. But I'll ask some questions first and find out what your problem is.

1. How many miles on the odometer?? Less k's equals more power.
2. What are your current sprint times (400m, 1000m) and top speed??
3. What modifications have you done and what are those settings at??

From that I can work out what you need to change to get a faster car overall. 👍

I saw this same question in Pimped Out and was puzzled why you didn't come here first. But I'll ask some questions first and find out what your problem is.

1. How many miles on the odometer?? Less k's equals more power.
2. What are your current sprint times (400m, 1000m) and top speed??
3. What modifications have you done and what are those settings at??

From that I can work out what you need to change to get a faster car overall. 👍

'95 Integra Type R DC2

1. It has 37,284.9 miles

2. 400m - '13.875
1000m - '23.797
Max speed - 183.58 mph

3. The car is fully modded and running on medium racing tires

Suspension:
spring rate 9/5
ride height 96 (front & back)
shock bound 8
........rebound 8
camber 2/1
toe angle 0
stabilizer 4

Transmission:
auto 20
final 4.400

1 - 2.737
2 - 1.779
3 - 1.271
4 - .955
5 - .755
6 - .627

Brake balance 3/9
Driving aids 5/10/5
Weight ballast 100
Initial torque 25
Limit....accelerator 40
..........decelerator 20

Is that time with nitrous?? :confused: If not, then I'll see what I can do because it seems like a 1/2 decent time, if you're only running R3's and no nitrous is involved.

Well, I'll delve into it later today (as you can tell we're discussing TCv5 stuff right now) so don't worry, check the thread by this time tomorrow and I should have something that runs in the mid 12's for you with some room to take it even further.

Well, I'll delve into it later today (as you can tell we're discussing TCv5 stuff right now) so don't worry, check the thread by this time tomorrow and I should have something that runs in the mid 12's for you with some room to take it even further.

Cool. Thanks

I've been held up by a few things here today so I'll be a little late delivering the car to you gt3_racer05 but don't worry, I have you as first priority to do once I get back from doing what needs to be done offline. Give us an extra 24hrs tops and it will be all completed.

Also, while I am still technically in R&D mode for big batch #2, I might put out a mini-batch of cars for you to drive around just because I have a few tunes sitting here that I'm itching to put out and between TCv5, GT4TC, 1/4 mile records, on-the-spot tunes like this DC2R, tutorials & relocating, I'm barely getting time to tune my GME circuit rides. :scared::lol:

Cool. Thanks

Here's that quick tune delivering on what I promised, a car that would do mid-12's on the 1/4. Here's the fun bit.....the times are done on R3's so plenty of room for improvement by using R5's and some ballast. He's got it in his PM box but I figured I'd put it up for anyone else who may have the same troubles. Okay, here's the stats:

QUICK TUNE - 60,000km DC2R Drag Spec for gt3racer_05

Power: 279Kw
Torque:328.59Nm
Weight:932Kg
0-100km/h: 5.24sec
1/4 Mile: 12.590@218km/h (Nitrous assisted)
Top Speed: 340.38km/h or 211.51mph (Nitrous assisted)

Parts to buy
Racing Exhaust
Racing Chip
Port & Polish
Engine Balancing
Oil Change
Nitrous (set to 100hp)
Stage 5 Turbocharger (I used HKS)
Fully Customisable Gearbox
Triple Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension
R3 Tyres
Body Restoration Plan
Stage 3 Weight Reduction

Settings
Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.5/13.0
Height: 86/156
Damper Bound: 2/10
Damper Rebound: 10/10
Camber: 0.0/0.0
Toe Angle: 0/0
Stabilisers: 5/5

Gearbox
First set final ratio to 5.500, then Autoset 10, then the following ratios.
1st: 2.350
2nd: 1.625
3rd: 1.250
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.825
6th: 0.675
Final: 4.400

LSD
Initial: 40
Acceleration: 60
Deceleration: 5

Downforce: 30/0
Ballast: 0/0

ASM: 0/0
TCS: 7

Last edited:
Hey Mafia Boy!!! Your White Lightning is not too much faster than my 95 Integra,

235mph-240mph

SVX
Hey Mafia Boy!!! Your White Lightning is not too much faster than my 95 Integra,

235mph-240mph

Show me a pic of you getting 240mph (386km/h) in that car and I'll believe it. ;) Session record please and no cheats. :P

To tell you the truth though, there are a quite a few FF's that easily get to the 380km/h club, it's the last 20km/h that's the hard part. There's only three so far that have made it to 400km/h (DC5R Touring Car, DC5R Road Car, SRT-4) and only the DC5R Touring has gone over 250mph.

Well don't say 235-240 if you can ONLY do 235. ;)

And what part of "I want a picture of you at 240mph before I believe you" don't you understand?? Since you said you can only get 235mph, I even want to see a pic of that speed little dude. ;) Session record screen as previously requested.

I was meaning my car's top speed and your top speed My top speed-Your top speed

It can go to 236 but only for a second.

But like I said, 235mph is easy. 250mph might be only 15mph more, but near impossible to get near, that's my point.

Back