Greatest racing cars of all time

  • Thread starter Thread starter nitrorocks
  • 138 comments
  • 19,655 views
I would expect to see KERS in road cars in just a few years.

I think Audi already have some kind of similar system derived from the Le Mans competitor.
 
The greatest racing car of all time......hmm....

In terms of the sheer quantity out there and the sheer number of different drivers who have won in them.

It's a toss up between a Porsche 911 (any variant) or a Miata (MX5).

Obviously neither are the fastest or most technologically advanced.....but both are prolific in the world of Motorsport.

But that's only based on the numbers.

Based on passion.....a toss up between Porsche 917K and Porsche/Audi 917/30K for pure brutality in a lightweight package.

Or the original Ford GT40 purely for the purpose behind it.
 
The greatest racing car of all time......hmm....

In terms of the sheer quantity out there and the sheer number of different drivers who have won in them.

It's a toss up between a Porsche 911 (any variant) or a Miata (MX5).

Not saying you're wrong, but I've never understood the MX-5's association with motorsport, I've never seen it race anywhere other than club level, or one make series.

Much as don't care for Porsches the 911 is pretty well written into the history books of motorsport also.
 
My favorite racing cars are all of the viper race cars!
 
Not saying you're wrong, but I've never understood the MX-5's association with motorsport, I've never seen it race anywhere other than club level, or one make series.

Much as don't care for Porsches the 911 is pretty well written into the history books of motorsport also.

You're right, the MX5 does tend to be a club car for sure.

Actually with that in mind maybe we should add a Van Diemen Formula Ford to the list also.......there are tons of them around too!
 
The Gillet Vertigo GT car that campaigned the 2004 FIA GT World Championships
 
If the definition of 'greatest racing cars of all time' is dominance in their era, then we can't miss out this li'l baby:

7996652-san-marino-italy--october-9-2010-lancia-delta-hf-integrale-at-rally-legend.jpg
 
2004 F1 cars mainly Renault and Ferrari
 
nitrorocks
2004 F1 cars mainly Renault and Ferrari

When it comes to being extreme, definitely. But I'd say game changers like the Ford GT MKIV really hold the spot of being the greatest.
 
When it comes to being extreme, definitely. But I'd say game changers like the Ford GT MKIV really hold the spot of being the greatest.

^ Agreed. But then again, this might want that 'game changing' title:

Cooper_indy_1961.jpg


The Cooper Climax. Final proof that super light and MR was the way to go.

:D
 
I do believe we have missed an obvious one; the 1894/1895 Peugeot that won the 'first motor race' ever held. That has to be a game changer :)
 
Hmmm, can't let a Peugeot win this one srly. ;)
 
gt racing gotta be Corvette C6-R
 
Can't forget the Chaparals! 2D, 2J, and the others
 
Dont forget brutus with its 46 liter v12
Brutus_1908_4.jpg
46 liter v12
 
I didn't think the goal of this thread was to show race cars that were game changers but rather our idea of the greatest race cars of all time. Some cars don't have to change rules to be epic, but just dominate in the hands of any driver that takes the reigns.
 
I didn't think the goal of this thread was to show race cars that were game changers but rather our idea of the greatest race cars of all time. Some cars don't have to change rules to be epic, but just dominate in the hands of any driver that takes the reigns.

I think your username gives away your favourite car.:)
 
I think your username gives away your favourite car.:)

I thought my post did that, but to be honest it's not my favorite overall. That would be impossible to decide I have a top 10 at the least but...not overall sadly.
 
Cough Cough...

csl1286055454.jpg


:D I believe the CSL needs a mention.

07-01.jpg


As does the Maserati MC12...

And the first Diesel to take Le Mans.

R10-TDI3.jpg


:bowdown:
 
Can't believe we've missed this one either:

1929_Bentley_front_34_right.jpg
 
The Porsche 956/962 has to be up there. It was so dominant for so long, and unlike the Audi R8 it was dominant in a time when there was some serious 'factory' competition. It was also a widely used customer car, not just a closely guarded 2 or 3 car works team, so it was successful the world over.

 
The Porsche 956/962 has to be up there. It was so dominant for so long, and unlike the Audi R8 it was dominant in a time when there was some serious 'factory' competition. It was also a widely used customer car, not just a closely guarded 2 or 3 car works team, so it was successful the world over.


And sexy, don't forget it was sexy.

Can't believe we've missed this one either:

1929_Bentley_front_34_right.jpg

For some reason it reminds me of a futuristic car that won Le Mans...what could it have been 💡

2003%20Bentley%20Speed%208.jpg
 
07-01.jpg


As does the Maserati MC12.
Such a good-looking car. And such a good car in general. I still think Maserati's decision to withdraw from GT racing was a mistake.
 
Wasnt their decision...Hegersport left so they couldn't run 4 cars so they were forced out by the rule even though they could have just done a Corvette this year...
 
prisonermonkeys
Such a good-looking car. And such a good car in general. I still think Maserati's decision to withdraw from GT racing was a mistake.

I agree.

Glamour.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Such a good-looking car. And such a good car in general. I still think Maserati's decision to withdraw from GT racing was a mistake.

Well, they did dominate the series by winning every year except 2004! They had a good run. But it had to end eventually.
 
Ferrari 166MM

Phlog_Ferrari_166_MM.jpg


Winner of three prestigious endurance races: The Targa Florio, the Le Mans 24 Hours, and the Mille Miglia, hence its initials, the MM. 2 Litre V12 of awesomeness.​
 
You can never leave this thing alone...

stcc_2010_goransson_002.jpg


This has been such a great one and has won, if I remember correctly more than 50 races until WTCC Macau 2010. And that doesn't count those from BTCC and STCC!
 
Back