GRID 2019

For Online Racing.. and majory to Public Lobbies, we need to have a Setup Stage prior to racing (we would need some minutes. not many..) there we should have... mainly for setting up the car (as some tracks demand for some minor change on the Car setup..) mainly... there should also have a way to change FOV in all racing vues, and to have more info on about times per lap and time difference between racers during race...

For Online Racing.. and majory to Public Lobbies, we need to have a Setup Stage prior to racing (we would need some minutes. not many..) there we should have... mainly for setting up the car (as some tracks demand for some minor change on the Car setup..) mainly... there should also have a way to change FOV in all racing vues, and to have more info on about times per lap and time difference between racers during race...

I second this. Out of all the arcade racing games I currently play, this has the weakest sense of speed. I went back to GRID 2 on PC and even that provides a much better level of immersion, but that's mainly due to the high level of camera shake. It's not for everyone, but I prefer the added visual drama.

Alongside FOV adjustments, perhaps camera shake could be added as an option.

I downloaded the demo earlier and soldiered through the tutorial races and the unbearable announcer.

I’m surprised how well the game ran and looked considering what I’ve been reading from others on the official forums. The patches probably ironed those issues out.

The racing itself seemed fun enough but I just cannot ignore the barebones career mode and the seriously lacking track list. The novelty would’ve worn off in no time.

This game only makes me seek out a copy of the original GRID.

MXH
I downloaded the demo earlier and soldiered through the tutorial races and the unbearable announcer.

I’m surprised how well the game ran and looked considering what I’ve been reading from others on the official forums. The patches probably ironed those issues out.

The racing itself seemed fun enough but I just cannot ignore the barebones career mode and the seriously lacking track list. The novelty would’ve worn off in no time.

This game only makes me seek out a copy of the original GRID.

I'm playing Grid Autosport on Xbox BC at the moment, having a great time plenty of tracks and cars. The good old days not this imposter.

I'm playing Grid Autosport on Xbox BC at the moment, having a great time plenty of tracks and cars. The good old days not this imposter.
I have Autosport both on the PS3 and the XBOX360 - the latter just for the sake of BC. I fire it up once in a while on the XB1S. One of my favourite racing games from last-gen.

MXH
I have Autosport both on the PS3 and the XBOX360 - the latter just for the sake of BC. I fire it up once in a while on the XB1S. One of my favourite racing games from last-gen.

I think GAS is seriously underrated and being a late last gen game very much under played. I started again from scratch on backwards compatibility on my X, playing on very hard difficulty and double race length, I'm having so much fun. The cars and tracks are so varied, it looks good/sounds great and AI is top notch. I'm not sure what's not to like.

I think GAS is seriously underrated and being a late last gen game very much under played. I started again from scratch on backwards compatibility on my X, playing on very hard difficulty and double race length, I'm having so much fun. The cars and tracks are so varied, it looks good/sounds great and AI is top notch. I'm not sure what's not to like.

I personally think that new grid is actually better. It only lacks content. Driving model is better i think, and AI etc is on the same level. Codies should just give us all tracks from Autosport and it would be ideal.

Is this game worth it? I'm mostly coming from the likes of AC, PCARS, FM7, etc.

Is it too arcadey and non-serious? Curious to know direct impressions from you gamers. I've seen only videos and the suspension modelling seems the same as the Dirt games: little bodyroll or chassis movement, car pivoting around at the centre, etc.

It is a solid arcaderacer to jump in from time to time. The racing itself is very action packed. Controls on controller are pretty tight although I did some tweaking to the sensitivity.

I recently bought a steering wheel and found the handling a bit dull but that was after playing Assetto Corsa so maybe not an ideal situation.

It is more off a couchgame to have fun with if you you are not in the mood for something serious like AC, maybe drink a couple of beers with it.

I played the demo and enjoyed it but the career mode and content of this game are garbage at best.

Not to mention locking endurance mode on the stadia.

A lot of people were expecting Race Driver Grid from 2008 especially for it to be better what they got was crumbs. I can see why people feel pissed off.

Last edited:
I don't see the point. Why would yo want the career mode to be longer? You can create your own championships when you finish it. And it's not that the career mode is unbelievable fun. They better focus their time on other things.

Of course, this is a very personal opinion.

I read that often that race game career modes are not fun... And i will never understand that... If you don´t have fun driving tons of dream cars at nice locations then race games are not for you maybe..?

I think some career modes can be overwhelming when you start, eg milestone games seem very long, but it is the meat of the game so therefore if you enjoy the driving model of a particular game is hard to understand some people's comments of 'it's not fun', or those that just skip any career mode entirely of any game, personally I find that difficult to understand, perhaps they don't have the time or inclination to commit to a lengthy career ? Personally it's the first thing I play, I like the feeling of satisfaction when it's all done. I'm not digging at you at all @SlimCharles :), or anyone for that matter.

Brabham BT62

B6T.jpg

I like that they are adding more "competition" focus cars. Not typical road cars. I wonder what other 3 cars would be. I guess we will see at least one Ferrari.

I read that often that race game career modes are not fun... And i will never understand that... If you don´t have fun driving tons of dream cars at nice locations then race games are not for you maybe..?

Didn't say all games. For me there is not much fun on driving alone, and the racing in Grid's career mode is not very good due to various reasons (I explain them answering MrCrynox).

I think some career modes can be overwhelming when you start, eg milestone games seem very long, but it is the meat of the game so therefore if you enjoy the driving model of a particular game is hard to understand some people's comments of 'it's not fun'

It's a matter of finding the way to enjoy it (I did do that with SLRE).

I personally don't see much fun on completing a career mode just for completing it. And the racing in GRID is boring, sad because the game has the potential to offer magnificient wheel to wheel battles against the AI. It's behaviour is top notch, but it's very slow in many tracks. And there isn't practice mode and no way to see which tracks has every championship unless you get into it.

All of this means that, you get into the championship directly and find that you win easily first try. Or, you get into it, find the AI is properly fast, get out, go to practice mode, improve yourself and then get into the championship. Not very harmonious, Isn't it? Autosport had a much clever career mode. Thankfully I can find the kind of fun Im looking for manually: custom championship with practice mode and choosing those tracks where the AI is fast.

@SlimCharles Thanks for your explanation, the new GRID doesn't sound fun at all :) I was going to ask you what you thought of Autosport.. I'm playing it again at the moment and I love it, practice, qualifying & adjustable race length modes along with devilish AI that really push you to your limit yet also make their own mistakes, its a class game imo. Thanks for your thoughts on GRID, along with others you've helped me make up my mind that I probably don't want to get it, it sounds inferior to Autosport to me.

@SlimCharles Thanks for your explanation, the new GRID doesn't sound fun at all :) I was going to ask you what you thought of Autosport.. I'm playing it again at the moment and I love it, practice, qualifying & adjustable race length modes along with devilish AI that really push you to your limit yet also make their own mistakes, its a class game imo. Thanks for your thoughts on GRID, along with others you've helped me make up my mind that I probably don't want to get it, it sounds inferior to Autosport to me.

Yeah, if you have Autosport, there isn't much sense on getting this one. It's like a remaster. Some stuff is better, some worse, but they both are very similar at the end.

Although I would try it before taking any final decision. I think there is a demo.

I've played almost every racing game under the sun in the past 20 years, so I might be a bit jaded in my opinion. For me a good career mode gives you a sense of progression and has a good effort/reward balance. Just like a good movie or a good book, it makes you want to jump to the next race because you're excited to see something new every time. Doing a series of 100 races just because the game told you to, doesn't make it a compelling experience. If I want to drive dream cars at nice locations I can just do time trial or single race. Career mode should offer something more than just a series of "races".

Case in point, the best part of Gran Turismo career mode is always before you make your first million Cr. You're scraping through with crapboxes, trying to balance tuning your car against saving money, and using slower cars to beat faster cars. Once you can buy the top cars, the AI ceases to be challenge and everything is rinse repeat. Been like that for GT1-Sport.

Arcade racers like NFS and Driveclub makes career mode compelling by adding stories or unlocking cars behind level caps. IMO this needs to be balanced properly so the gap between rewards are not too long, but also not too easy to get the top level cars. If you remember the grind to level 40 in GT5 to unlock the RB X2010, it was a total slog. Conversely Burnout Paradise and Driveclub has consistent rewards and you never feel like you're grinding because there are so much variety of stuff to do, by the time you've seen everything the game has to offer, you've just unlocked the last uber car. That to me is perfect progression.

GRID 1 has an amazing career mode where you go from a weekend racer with a beat up Mustang, to building a worldwide multiclass championship team. Along the way you race in multiple categories across many countries, buy cars, hire drivers, manage sponsors, in addition to the white knuckle racing experience itself (not to mention rivalry with Ravenwest). The end of every season is capped by Le Mans. GRID 2 was similar but a lot shorter, but sadly the driving physics was rubbish. GAS is basically GRID 2 with understeer patch, but this time they called it a day with career mode and made it into a boring slog of meaningless races. Now I haven't played GRID 4, but from what I've seen it's basically similar to GAS. You just go from one event to the next, rinse repeat.

Of course, not every racing game needs a career mode. I've spent 100+ hours on AC and I never even touched a single race. Most of my time is testing out mod cars/tracks. If your game is inherently good in its gameplay (i.e. physics for racing games) and offers a sandbox world, then career mode is unnecessary at this point. Your imagination is the limit really. On the other hand of the spectrum, in iRacing almost everything you do is your "career". It's basically just like having a real life racing career, except it's virtual.

I hope that makes sense. When I was 10, every new game feels "wow amazing this is the greatest thing evar!!!11one1!!". But as I got older and seen a lot more games you start looking for more than just flashy stuff. Most people and most gaming reviews never play a game more than a few hours, which is the period after which the flashy stuff disappears and you start seeing the real problems with the game. Most new games are just variations of a previous game, nothing special in that. But every once in a while something comes along that just blows you away. GRID 1 did that for me back at PS3's launch. GRID 4, even without playing it, I know from experience that it won't. I will still buy it, because I think it still has value, but not at full price at launch.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back