GRID 2019

2. WHY on earth do the track announcers refer to every single Non Grid World Series race as if it was part of the event? ( Take a shot every time they mention the Grid World Series tbh )

I don't pay attention to what the announcers are saying most of the time, but one neat little detail I picked up on is that when you skip the cutscenes to the beginning of the race, whoever is speaking will cut short what they are saying to announce the race is seconds away from starting. Probably such a minor detail for most, but I appreciate how smooth the transition is. :cool:

One gripe I have is the free play, you can only rent one car? Can’t try out the others in the class before buying them? What’s the deal with that?

I’m just trying to slog through career to get enough money to buy all the GT cars. I just really want o set up custom GT races.

Track list is real thin already.

First impression after 3 hours on the ps4 pro is
meh/10.

Kinda disappointed. The racing seems fine, Al drives like maniacs sometimes. Cockpit view is just ok, it’s too tame, very little movement or jostling compared to Grid 1, but I’m actually enjoying the dash view in this game.

Edit- not trying to complain too much, I think as stated above that the expectations were high on my end too. There are some things this title does really well.
And I know I’ll get some enjoyment out of it as I do the other ps4 offerings.

Last edited:
I don't pay attention to what the announcers are saying most of the time, but one neat little detail I picked up on is that when you skip the cutscenes to the beginning of the race, whoever is speaking will cut short what they are saying to announce the race is seconds away from starting. Probably such a minor detail for most, but I appreciate how smooth the transition is. :cool:

I actually find it hilarious

"What can you tell us about the track Kristine?"

"Well its a v-"

"Actually nevermind ill need you to shut up the race is starting"

Can someone confirm the supposedly ’massive’ graphical downgrade and 30fps with drops on the base PS4 (according to some users on the official forums).

Have yet to see footage from the base consoles.

I'm sure I saw a vid before release where they spoke about being able to move the seat position on the internal views but haven't found the option in game. Any one found it?

I'm sure I saw a vid before release where they spoke about being able to move the seat position on the internal views but haven't found the option in game. Any one found it?
Field of view, right under gameplay. A slider from 55 to 95. Only for cockpit though, dash cam is static.

3. People like Silver Arrows who think that every video game is a massive cashgrab regardless of how much DLC/Microtransactions are actually in it

If you're going to call me an idiot, at least have the decency to tag me.

And you know what? Since you insinuated it, lets go through the post-launch/DLC structures of notable racing games released in the past few years and see whether we can find out why people are criticizing Codemasters.

GT Sport: Everything delivered in post launch updates, for free. Cars and tracks. One can debate until the cows come home the point in adding mostly road cars to a game ostensibly about online GT spec racing, but whatever, neither here nor there. Some content from GT6, but brought up to an incredibly high quality. Fans are happy as they can be!

Forza Motorsport: Car Pass with monthly car packs, you know that it will last the next six to eight months if you've played any Forza game in recent history. Wide range of vehicles to choose from. After the end of the Car Pass, vehicles get added to Monthly Spotlights for free. You know what you're getting, and it's more or less a fair system in terms of paid DLC.

Forza Horizon: Again, Car Pass, this time changed to two cars weekly for about four to six months. Cars are revealed in monthly streams, so you know what you're getting. There's some re-done vehicles, but these mostly come from FM4/FH1 that haven't made the jump to the current generation, so it's fine to an extent. After the Car Pass is finished, the focus turns to Forzathon, where new and returning vehicles are offered for free in exchange for doing tasks. Again, one can debate how good of a system it is, but for the most part, it's a fair system. Couple that with two expansions featuring 7-10 new vehicles, and yeah, you get the sense of what you're getting.

Project CARS 2: Four completely unique DLC packs mostly focusing on either disciplines (Fun Pack, mostly dealing with rallycross vehicles and track layouts alongside some more oddball vehicle choices) manufacturers (Ferrari, Porsche, adding in Fiorano and Leipzig for both in terms of tracks) or fleshing out a discipline (Le Mans) No season pass.

DiRT Rally 2.0: Announce two seasons of DLC before launch. Most of the stage rally content has been 'remasters' of locations you can already play in the previous game. Most of the new content in terms of locations is in rallycross - and not only have you been reselling mostly DR1 vehicles and locations for stage rallies, but now you are announcing two more seasons of DLC that are not covered by those who bought the previous season's pass, or who bought the Deluxe Edition. Not even a discount.

GRID 2019: Again, announce four seasons of DLC, each with a different theme. Cut content from the base game to the point where reviewers (including the review for this very site) criticize the game for feeling lacking in terms of base game content. Connect dots as you see fit.

In every other case, you know what else? There's been very few complaints about the lack of content in the base game, even without DLC. GT Sport is a weird case, but when you design a game from the ground up and focus it around online racing, it can be excused to an extent. All the other games mentioned barring the two Codemasters titles? You can buy the base game and feel like your money has gone far in terms of content. Not so with the two Codies games!

DLC is fine when done right. They should be additions to a game, and not cut up from the base game so that it makes it feel lacking at launch, and to the point where people who buy the base game feel like they are being skimped out and have to buck up to make the game feel somewhat sizeable in terms of content. You know what pisses people off? Selling content from the previous game, making the only new content tracks that most people don't care for, and then twisting the knife a bit deeper by forcing people to buy an extra season pass and not even giving Deluxe Edition owners the decency of being guaranteed for that extra two seasons, or even a discount, and then turning around and cutting your next game to the bone where DLC is needed to make it feel somewhat fulfilling.

But yeah, I'm definitely a troll who hates video games for being a cash grab, not criticizing a developer for flagrantly anti-consumer practices that, if done by anyone else in the industry, would be lambasted, but instead gets defended.

Couldn't have said it better @Silver Arrows 👍

You can add Driveclub which added cars for free and in payed form with tracks and career expansion. Even gave a whole set of tracks for free and added a great bike expansion.

Back to GRID, the forums also don't seem to be that happy, do they :odd:

Codies definitely has the talent to pull of a great complete game but there seems to be a big problem upperhand which prevent to deliver something good, complète, well polished and with a reasonable DLC policy.

MXH
Can someone confirm the supposedly ’massive’ graphical downgrade and 30fps with drops on the base PS4 (according to some users on the official forums).

Have yet to see footage from the base consoles.

I have an Xbox One S, so I'll reply with what I wrote in another thread...

It's pretty horrible. Not "omg it's PS1 graphics" or anything like that, but that kind of fuzzy look you get when your cell phone doesn't have good reception and you're trying to watch YouTube. I keep waiting for it to get sharp and it never happens.

It this point I'm thinking of taking my glasses off the next time I play.

Edit: I think I was a bit harsh in the beginning. It's a little better now that I'm paying at night and I've turned down the gamma setting. Still, other games this gen are definitely more crisp.

Last edited:
For those of you not arguing about the game.
Is it better to qualify first or just start from the back in XP sense. I've noticed it's super easy to lose any xp you've built up through out the race, but if you start in first, your relying on racing line and drifting.

Is it better to qualify first or just start from the back in XP sense. I've noticed it's super easy to lose any xp you've built up through out the race, but if you start in first, your relying on racing line and drifting.

I find that I finish better by qualifying, but I think you're onto something with the XP from starting in the back.

I was putting together a post of my thoughts on this game but I just can't post it because it's a complete rambling mess.

There's so many little annoyances and apparent design choices in this one that detracts from the whole. Not to say it's bad, because it isn't, but it's completely unremarkable and all three previous games do almost everything this one does to a better standard.

there’s certainly more opportunities to earn bravery XP and points for the various types of overtaking.

Got the game on Friday, and was playing it all weekend. I have to say, the graphics, despite being on a base PS4, don't bother me that much, apart from the low-res decals and unreadable nameplates (maybe I have my brightness too high?) in the pre-race cutscenes. Aside from that, the game actually doesn't look too bad in the rain, and looks especially great at night. One of the things that Codies did right was the driving model. Both pad and wheel gameplay feels incredibly satisfying, and the progression system is what I was yearning for. Now I actually have incentive to buy and own every car, as opposed to having everything unlocked at the start.

One thing that I find absolutely terrible, and something that Codies games are notorious for, is its risible multiplayer. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to implement a totally random event selector, with only one selectable event? Why not just go with a hopper system then?

Got the game on Friday, and was playing it all weekend. I have to say, the graphics, despite being on a base PS4, don't bother me that much, apart from the low-res decals and unreadable nameplates (maybe I have my brightness too high?) in the pre-race cutscenes. Aside from that, the game actually doesn't look too bad in the rain, and looks especially great at night. One of the things that Codies did right was the driving model. Both pad and wheel gameplay feels incredibly satisfying, and the progression system is what I was yearning for. Now I actually have incentive to buy and own every car, as opposed to having everything unlocked at the start.

One thing that I find absolutely terrible, and something that Codies games are notorious for, is its risible multiplayer. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to implement a totally random event selector, with only one selectable event? Why not just go with a hopper system then?

Yeah. I was disappointed when i launched first race, but after playing some time i stopped noticing ale the graphics problem. Even those low FPS mirrors (i would prefer simpler graphics on those but with higher FPS).
The game looks ok in midday, night and rain so it is nice. The worst moment in my opinion is Dawn with huge orange saturation and bliding sun it hits textures quality or something. It doesn't look good especially on Havana tracks. With this orange color saturation I thought for a second I am playing first grid.

I've only played the game twice since buying it, and for an "arcade" game it's actually not bad. I'm sick of Project Cars and sim racing games because all too often they are BOORING - they won't always guarantee action but this game will. The physics are strange to say the least but after completing a few events, I was able to figure it out. That seems to be the case with most games though when I first play them. My favourite car I've driven so far is the Plymouth AAR Cuda strangely enough. I instantly felt comfortable with it, unlike the Holden Commodore Supercar. That car is a pain to handle. The events are quite short, and you have to qualify to get up the front on the Very Hard difficulty. A few extra laps would dramatically increase the longevity of the career mode, as there aren't a huge amount of events. The AI are savages and they aren't afraid to hit you, but sometimes they hit a bit too hard and ruin your race. That's annoying but it is Grid so what do I expect... Overall the game is solid and provides a good load of enjoyment, because it isn't a full on sim racer. Occasionally, I want to screw around, enjoy the thrills of racing and have fun.

After playing it throughout the week, I dont think the game is bad. Definitely not as bad as the reviews are putting it to be, it's just not necessarily rememberable. Once I start playing it I'll have fun with it, but I find myself more drawn to Dirt or GT despite Grid being the new game.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or feature, but after using a car several times, is it supposed to start every race covered in dust and scratches? That probably shows your car ageing, but not having an option to start in a pristine car anymore is a little irritating.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or feature, but after using a car several times, is it supposed to start every race covered in dust and scratches? That probably shows your car ageing, but not having an option to start in a pristine car anymore is a little irritating.

Oh no. This probably means Carwash and Paint shop micro transactions are coming.

Oh no. This probably means Carwash and Paint shop micro transactions are coming.

Well they already said no microtransactions so...

I think there is just carwash function missing. There was similar in first GRID.

I was putting together a post of my thoughts on this game but I just can't post it because it's a complete rambling mess.

There's so many little annoyances and apparent design choices in this one that detracts from the whole. Not to say it's bad, because it isn't, but it's completely unremarkable and all three previous games do almost everything this one does to a better standard.
Pretty damn excited to talk about this one on the latest Time Extend, to be honest.

Let me just say that the Hammerhead Silvia invitational event nearly made me broke my damn controller, holy **** that event was utter hell

Back