GRID Autosport First Impressions

• Thread starter Awong124
  • 557 comments
Bunch of bloody wankers the AI are :ouch: "Am I going to pass you inside? Outside? Insi- Oh! I spun you out! Kbai!"

At least in the early touring car series you can fight back and recover easily with the front wheel drive. When they do that or simply decide to miss their braking point by 100 feet in the endurance cars it is a bit more of a race-ruiner.

I got this for the PC through a Steam Sale over the weekend (for £6.70! Bargain or what?)

I think it is excellent fun and looks pretty good on the PC. I like that CM have held back on a lot of the unnecessary fluff they usually stick in between the actual game-play in their race games in a failed attempt to improve "immersion".

Grid:AS just concentrates on giving you competitive single player racing. Worth it for the AI and Custom Cup mode alone. Team goals, sponsor goals and rivals all add to the excitement & pressure without getting in the way.

PD could learn a lot from the racing in this game, they won't though, of course! :/

I got this for the PC through a Steam Sale over the weekend (for £6.70! Bargain or what?)

I think it is excellent fun and looks pretty good on the PC. I like that CM have held back on a lot of the unnecessary fluff they usually stick in between the actual game-play in their race games in a failed attempt to improve "immersion".

Grid:AS just concentrates on giving you competitive single player racing. Worth it for the AI and Custom Cup mode alone. Team goals, sponsor goals and rivals all add to the excitement & pressure without getting in the way.

PD could learn a lot from the racing in this game, they won't though, of course! :/

How are the engine sounds in the PC version? Engines still got that oomph and bark on off-throttle/deceleration?

How are the engine sounds in the PC version? Engines still got that oomph and bark on off-throttle/deceleration?

The sound is coming through my TV, which isn't the best for audio. The experience as a whole is so good though, I can't say I've noticed anything out of place while racing. Concentrating too hard :)

At least in the early touring car series you can fight back and recover easily with the front wheel drive. When they do that or simply decide to miss their braking point by 100 feet in the endurance cars it is a bit more of a race-ruiner.
I have found that it is mostly a problem in Street events, though that may be because I am concentrating on the street races at the moment. It's not so much of an issue in the Tier 1 events, but I had lots of problems - especially with one of the Ravenwest drivers - once I broke into the Performance and GT class races. Sometimes it got so bad that it felt like touching another car was enough to send me pitching into a spin. It was even worse in the third tier, where the circuits are so narrow and the cars are so powerful that the aggressive AI usually results in regular contact. Some of the races in San Francisco and Barcelona are particularly bad (though if you can survive the first lap in Barcelona, you're usually okay) to the point where it seems like the AI are driving through you, rather than around you the way they do in every other discipline. And to compound the problem, the two Ravenwest drivers in Tier 3 - Faisal Mahmoud and Tang Qiang - are pretty hopeless; I finished the final series in Tier 3 with Razer yesterday, and in fourteen races, they didn't finish on the podium once. Street is the only discipline where I have to set the difficulty to medium just to stand a chance of surviving (and to save my television from dying an untimely death from a controller thrown in frustration - yes, it's that bad sometimes).

I found that i have no chance even in medium so what i do is qualify under easy and even under easy setting, the AI seems like they have boosters on :lol:. Another thing i notice the AI will spin me out easily even in the Touring races. Going through the Endurance races and will spin me out when AI has the chance to do so. The XP 50% boost is helping alot to boost up my levels faster. I wouldn't have a chance playing in medium or higher levels. Even on easy it is a challenge for me and i use a controller. Only setting i have on is ABS so i get a 27% increase as well from that. Well worth the buy.

I am playing on medium at the moment, highest finish was 2nd, but I had to make a very aggressive pass to achieve it. However maybe it is just me, but I don't mind losing.

Out of a field of drivers only one can be the winner. What do you think in real life, motivates all the others to compete race after race with few or no victories? It is the racing itself.

I treat the game as if it is real. No flashbacks, no restarts, all aids off. If I DNF, I DNF ( it is so refreshing to see this available as a race result!!)

The race is always there to try again and next time I'll be a better driver.

I am playing on medium at the moment, highest finish was 2nd, but I had to make a very aggressive pass to achieve it. However maybe it is just me, but I don't mind losing.

Out of a field of drivers only one can be the winner. What do you think in real life, motivates all the others to compete race after race with few or no victories? It is the racing itself.

I treat the game as if it is real. No flashbacks, no restarts, all aids off. If I DNF, I DNF ( it is so refreshing to see this available as a race result!!)

The race is always there to try again and next time I'll be a better driver.

I'm with you, no aids, no flashbacks or re-dos and have done every series at least once, some of them twice. I have worked my way up to hard level where I can usually finish first over a series, but no every race. I guess I am ready to step up to the last level and see how it goes. I will probably be lucky to podium, but that is what makes this game so good, it will make you work for it 👍

I wouldn't have a chance playing in medium or higher levels. Even on easy it is a challenge for me and i use a controller.
Repeated play ensures success. I use a controller, too, and I regularly win on the hard setting with no aids, no flashbacks, forced cockpit camera and 5x race distance. The only exceptions to this are the Tuner discipline, as I think it's stupid, and the hypercar class of Street racing as I cannot handle the cars (and the AI for these races appears to have been written by British sitcom writers - try San Francisco and see what I mean).

@anim8r_uk Thank you for Grid Autosport, I appreciate the fact Codemasters listened to the community. Lot of features that make sense toghether for a great racing game, Career Mode is sooo enjoayble. Thank you.

Please think about a PS4 / Xbox One release. I will buy a new console tomorrow moring if you release this.

ALL I'm saying is: Thank goodness for this game or my ps3 would most likely be retired by now given I don't have internet to update ol boring gt.

BAM! I love this game! Starting my second season in TC, having an absolute blast. Thanks to CM, and to Matt at GameStop in Newport News for the recommendation. This game actually FEELS like my 17 lap run at RIR (in an actual DEI car, no less! [avatar...]) (PS3, G25, 58" Toshiba LED. Settings on Hard, manual, no assists, race length X5.)

Back