Grid Autosport (General Discussion)

Vote for the name of Team Gtplanet

• Total voters
There's no step up in terms of performance, but you get plenty of set-up options, more upgrades, and the team pays massive amounts of XP.

Also, level twelve is definitely more than three million XP. I have over three million in Open-Wheel and I'm still at level eleven.

Does Ravenwest team actually make a leap on performance compared to other teams!? I am level 9-10 on all categories but I did not compete with Ravenwest yet, thanks in advance.

If level 12 is 3 millions aprox I think I will not bother to get that far to be honest.

The cars are the same, but you get full upgrades and setup options as prisonermonkeys said. Unfortunately, due to the fact that upgrades are glitched in this game, they only makes you slower. So paradoxically Ravenwest cars are slower than the other teams. Just remember to take off the upgrades when racing for them.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that upgrades are glitched in this game, they only makes you slower. So paradoxically Ravenwest cars are slower than the other teams. Just remember to take off the upgrades when racing for them.
Really? I had no idea. But it might explain why I have to cut across the circuit at the start of some races, given that Ravenwest get phenomenal traction.

I just saw the most ridiculous moment of pro-Ravenwest bias in the game. I was running a Formula B race at Spa with them and qualified second behind my team-mate. I cut across the track at the start to try and get the best line into La Source, but misjudged it and put two wheels on the grass and lost control. I cannoned into the armco and my team-mate, retiring on the spot. The accident obliterated his rear wing and gave him a puncture.

According to the final standings, he won the four-lap race by fourteen seconds.

:lol:.

What is this team bias thing, by the way? Currently waiting for the game to be delivered and I think this team seems more relevent then I thought?

The cars are the same, but you get full upgrades and setup options as prisonermonkeys said. Unfortunately, due to the fact that upgrades are glitched in this game, they only makes you slower. So paradoxically Ravenwest cars are slower than the other teams. Just remember to take off the upgrades when racing for them.

Whoa didn't know that, as I still race with teams that only have one upgrade max, but many thanks for the tip.

:lol:.

What is this team bias thing, by the way? Currently waiting for the game to be delivered and I think this team seems more relevent then I thought?

Basically, since Codies was afraid to make it too much like a racing sim instead of a video game they set it up to make sure Ravenwest wins every single race you don't(which ruins proper championship competition). To be fair, they don't always win but they very nearly do. They are more aggressive than the others and always higher base performance. I'm not sure if they get more help from rubber banding or not. If one of them drops way out early they won't come back to the front but will gain far more than they really should and set some obscene lap times in the process, but I think that happens to any bot that falls way behind.

I've seen them perform much better than they should with blown tires(in 5X distance races), but never win - just midpack which is not really possible for you. Things overall just seem to get a little weird however when you retire from a race and it "quick-simulates" the final conclusion, which I'd guess is what happened in prisonermonkeys's race.

It's kind of a shame since the game feels much more fair and fun if you just ignore them and race the other teams(although the fastest people probably need them for a challenge). I wish it was like the first GRID where they didn't show up for every single race and didn't automatically win by a mile 99% of the races they did show up for, they were just always a threat to win. In my experience they have more advantage in Endurance than any other discipline where for some reason they are almost always 2-3 seconds faster than the whole rest of the field. In the other disciplines it's much closer, they're just a little better.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that upgrades are glitched in this game, they only makes you slower. So paradoxically Ravenwest cars are slower than the other teams. Just remember to take off the upgrades when racing for them.
Is this for both PS3/XB360? I couldn't find anyone talking about it in a Google search.

Really? I had no idea. But it might explain why I have to cut across the circuit at the start of some races, given that Ravenwest get phenomenal traction.

Yep, if you don't believe me, it's pretty simple to test it out yourself, as long as you're a pretty consistent driver (given that you play regularly on Very Hard, I think you'll be pretty good). Just go to time trials and set a lap time with all upgrades, then with no upgrades. All upgrades are usually 1-2 seconds slower a lap. The only exception is at Indy Oval, because all upgrades DOES increase top speed, but it slows down accel and makes handling worse.

Is this for both PS3/XB360? I couldn't find anyone talking about it in a Google search.

I'm on PS3, so I can't confirm about X360, but I imagine it's the same. If you look at the Racenet Challenge thread here and numerous threads in the official Codies forums there are a lot of people complaining about it. The top guys at the leaderboards always sets their times with no upgrades.

I don't really notice it. I don't chase lap times, and I'm usually on the thick of the racing, which makes it hard to set ultra-fast times.

And I only race on Very Hard in Open-Wheel, and in Category B and C Touring Cars.

Basically, since Codies was afraid to make it too much like a racing sim instead of a video game they set it up to make sure Ravenwest wins every single race you don't(which ruins proper championship competition). To be fair, they don't always win but they very nearly do. They are more aggressive than the others and always higher base performance. I'm not sure if they get more help from rubber banding or not. If one of them drops way out early they won't come back to the front but will gain far more than they really should and set some obscene lap times in the process, but I think that happens to any bot that falls way behind.

I've seen them perform much better than they should with blown tires(in 5X distance races), but never win - just midpack which is not really possible for you. Things overall just seem to get a little weird however when you retire from a race and it "quick-simulates" the final conclusion, which I'd guess is what happened in prisonermonkeys's race.

It's kind of a shame since the game feels much more fair and fun if you just ignore them and race the other teams(although the fastest people probably need them for a challenge). I wish it was like the first GRID where they didn't show up for every single race and didn't automatically win by a mile 99% of the races they did show up for, they were just always a threat to win. In my experience they have more advantage in Endurance than any other discipline where for some reason they are almost always 2-3 seconds faster than the whole rest of the field. In the other disciplines it's much closer, they're just a little better.
Kinda sounds like real F1 Mercedes.

I see, would Reverse Grid change that up a bit?

I see, would Reverse Grid change that up a bit?
It can sometimes. I just ran two reverse grid races, and they didn't even finish on the podium.

Perhaps the easiest way to put it is to say that Ravenwest have the most consistent drivers. Teams tend to fall into one of three categories - front-runners, the midpack and the back markers. Ravenwest is the only team to be a front-runner in each tier of each discipline. Everybody else tends to be good at some tiers in some disciplines, but not so great elsewhere. K&N is probably the only team that can consistently challenge them; everyone else is hit-and-miss. And strangely enough, Ravenwest are terrible at the top tier of street racing (but then again, everyone is).

I'd say the game's top drivers looks like this:
- Nathan McKane (Ravenwesr)
- Rick Scott (Ravenwest)
- Arron Westley (Ravenwest)
- Stefano Bruno (K&N)
- Luka Schmid (K&N)
- Felipe Santos (Forge)
- Leo Garnier (Ravenwest)
- Ryan Thompson, Jnr (Monster)
- Leo Turner (Kicker)
- Evan Kennedy (Kicker)
- Andrey Kokorev (Oakley)
- Kurt Wittenstein (Kicker)
- Rodrigo Gomes (K&N)
- Marko Nikolic (K&N)

Although it is hard to gauge because some compete in more series than others.

That name :ouch:, brings back the nightmares somewhere (and it isn't GRID 1 because I haven't played it).
It's the original TOCA Race Driver, the forerunner to the GRID series. It tried to incorporate narrative into the racing, with a character named Ryan McKane. I don't know if there was a Nathan McKane in there, but in GRID Autosport, he's probably the best - and certainly the cleanest - of the Ravenwest drivers. Rick Scott is also pretty good, but Arron Westley is the one you will grow to hate, as his usual tactic is to spin you. Faisal Mahmoud and Tang Qiang are also pretty horrible, though Qiang usually crashes before he can turn you around.

Ah I remember now :D, good childhood memories (TOCA 3 is my favourite car game) though I hated Ryans guts. Now I wished they incorporated TOCA 2 Shark Team drivers in the game :lol:

Anyway, this actually seems really good having drivers with there own Personalities and Driving. Even if some appear to be total 🤬 (though that's Motorsport).

I wouldn't call them personalities. There's about 250 drivers in all, and probably half of them have a bio, which amounts to two or three lines that appear when you choose your team. You tend to associate them with the team they race for, especially if they race in multiple series. The likes of McKane, Westley, Bruno and Schmid are all very easy to pick out; conversely, you wouldn't know Janssens, Lopez, Petit or Webb from Job because they only race in one tier of one discipline. And everyone has their own unique racing number.

Continuing off of Morgoth_666's post, I've about had it with Ravenwest. That nonsense is a black mark on what could have been a great followup to the original Grid. Getting knocked out by the AI three feet short of the finish line in Mario Kart 8 is more fair and balanced than racing those stinking grey-and-black cheaters. The MK8 AI earned that item by collecting it and winning a virtual die roll. Ravenwest just blatantly cheat, as Morgoth explained (more than I had even noticed yet).

It doesn't help that I've been playing exclusively to win so I can unlock better team offers. I know first place isn't strictly necessary, but a game with Codemasters physics doesn't work as a longterm hangout for me, so I'm burning through the career mode instead of savoring it. Maybe I just suck at Codemasters games, but because Ravenwest is so fast, I can either notch up the difficulty and have an engaging race with no hope of ever catching Ravenwest, or I can notch the difficulty back down and fend off Ravenwest -- varying from effortless to a photo finish, depending on the car/track -- while the three of us dominate everyone else. Blah.

The game is still a good opportunity to learn some of these unfamiliar tracks before tackling them in Project CARS, and Custom Cups could be its redeeming feature (I've only tried one so far). I just wish the physics weren't so high-strung and wobbly.

Having played F1 2011 again, I can confirm it feels almost exactly the same as GA. Not a horrible thing of itself, mind, but couple that with the AI as Wolfe mentioned, and it becomes a grind either way. I'm actually more inclined to pick up GA again now due to the....atmosphere...of F1 2011. Read the next lines in an high-society British tone....

Run without assist? You? Ha ha, too funny my less fortunate friend. Be competitive above Rookie level? Good joke. We didn't tell you the weather would change at any time in the race? You aren't clairvoyant either? What good are you! Why don't you go play in the DiRT with the other peasants and let us socialize and burn money.

*normal tone again* And I reply," With pleasure and haste!".

Have I ever mentioned I hate the "race engineers"?

BACK ON TOPIC: I don't know if I said it before, but having last played GRID 1 again, I jumped into GA thinking I'd be able to win from go. I wasn't. OK no biggie, just drop the difficulty down and see what that gets me. Let me say that on the hardest setting I was generally able to keep mid-field in the standings, but dropping down to lower difficulties can show how jarring the differences are. This can also apply to the F1 games, but it feels like the AI was programmed to match lap times, cannot tell you how many times I was left in the dust because they didn't have to brake around that hairpin, instead of programmed to emulate skill. GRID 1 did well on that, not perfect, and even the thing called GRID 2 had a hint of it, but GA just feels literally like racing autonomous bots, programming faults included and not fixed.

The game is still a good opportunity to learn some of these unfamiliar tracks before tackling them in Project CARS, and Custom Cups could be its redeeming feature (I've only tried one so far). I just wish the physics weren't so high-strung and wobbly.

I find stiffening the suspension to maximum front and rear helps, along with dropping the ride height all the way to minimum. The car looks ridiculous riding on its floor, but it helps negate that floaty Codemasters feeling. The problem with GAS physics is it's basically Grid 2 with added rear grip. So drifting around corners is still the fastest way, but the optimal slip angle is even narrower than Grid 2 AND the car always wants to right itself. When pushing hard you're always fighting both the front and rear of the car because they want to go different ways :yuck:

As evidenced in the Cat B Merc and the Classic Touring Sierra, both are very tail happy but managable, to be honest I don't play single player as much as I do Online where the AI isn't much of an issue (just people who don't want you to pass...ever) but there are clean racers out there who do give the room needed, an example is going from Forest Elbow up to Reid Park side by side in the Minis without contact (playlist)

has thee been any updates that ae actually worth while in this game? :banghead:

Besides the update that fixes corrupt gamesave bug, none. The Drag Pack DLC is awesome, but besides that there's nothing that adds anything new that we haven't already seen in previous Grid games...

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that there are no Japanese drivers in SuperGT, no Brazilians in Stock Car Brasil (Cat-A), no Australians in Super Utes or Super Tourers, and no Americans in IndyCar? In fact, there are two Icelandic drivers in IndyCar despite the fact that no Icelandic national has ever competed in any equivalent level of motorsport - the only Icelandic driver that I can find in real life is Kristján Einar Kristjánsson, who (insofar as I know) has not raced since a pointless season of Formula 3 back in 2009.

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that there are no Japanese drivers in SuperGT, no Brazilians in Stock Car Brasil (Cat-A), no Australians in Super Utes or Super Tourers, and no Americans in IndyCar? In fact, there are two Icelandic drivers in IndyCar despite the fact that no Icelandic national has ever competed in any equivalent level of motorsport - the only Icelandic driver that I can find in real life is Kristján Einar Kristjánsson, who (insofar as I know) has not raced since a pointless season of Formula 3 back in 2009.

Maybe it's a licensing issue? Since they changed the name of the series in game, maybe they are also not allowed to use the names of the official drivers. It's like those old bootleg F1 games where they changed all the names of the drivers to similar but gibberish names :lol:

Maybe it's a licensing issue? Since they changed the name of the series in game, maybe they are also not allowed to use the names of the official drivers. It's like those old bootleg F1 games where they changed all the names of the drivers to similar but gibberish names :lol:
I can't see licencing restrictions being so draconian that they couldn't have fictional Brazilians racing Brazilian cars, or fictional Australians racing Australian cars. My post was more a commentary on the weird mix of nationalities that pop up sometimes - in addition to three Icelandic drivers, there's a Bulgarian, a Saudi and two Greeks.

But perhaps the weirdest can be found in Formula C: a Brazilian named Freddie Walker.

I can't see licencing restrictions being so draconian that they couldn't have fictional Brazilians racing Brazilian cars, or fictional Australians racing Australian cars. My post was more a commentary on the weird mix of nationalities that pop up sometimes - in addition to three Icelandic drivers, there's a Bulgarian, a Saudi and two Greeks.

But perhaps the weirdest can be found in Formula C: a Brazilian named Freddie Walker.

I guess so. But Codies have a history of putting random countries in their driver roster. Even in Dirt there's a Saudi Arabian rally driver IIRC :lol: Makes for a nice distraction when you're looking at the results screen in between races :P

To be fair, most series use multiple classes of cars, it would be awkward to see drivers switch with-in a championship.

I got the game. I'm really enjoying :). Been experimenting Custom Cup mode which is a great joy. The Physics are really fun and easy to access.

Continuing off of Morgoth_666's post, I've about had it with Ravenwest. That nonsense is a black mark on what could have been a great followup to the original Grid. Getting knocked out by the AI three feet short of the finish line in Mario Kart 8 is more fair and balanced than racing those stinking grey-and-black cheaters. The MK8 AI earned that item by collecting it and winning a virtual die roll. Ravenwest just blatantly cheat, as Morgoth explained (more than I had even noticed yet).

It doesn't help that I've been playing exclusively to win so I can unlock better team offers. I know first place isn't strictly necessary, but a game with Codemasters physics doesn't work as a longterm hangout for me, so I'm burning through the career mode instead of savoring it. Maybe I just suck at Codemasters games, but because Ravenwest is so fast, I can either notch up the difficulty and have an engaging race with no hope of ever catching Ravenwest, or I can notch the difficulty back down and fend off Ravenwest -- varying from effortless to a photo finish, depending on the car/track -- while the three of us dominate everyone else. Blah.

MK8s rival system is the same as the rubber banding Ravenwest. If one of your 3 rivals is considered too behind, it'll cheatingly catch up and from my early experience Ravenwest is the same. So when you get shot they can pounce on you even though they shouldn't really do it.

I found that Ravenwest aren't as OP in Touring and Street. I did a Super Tourer and the Ravenwest were fighting my teamate and Forge Motorsport.

@RESHIRAM5 -- Of course there's rubberbanding at work in MK8. For Ravenwest I'm not talking about the rubberbanding so much as the fact that they'll take virtually every opportunity they get to crash you out (with the unfair advantage of having extra stability in a collision, because AI), and occasionally find a significant power advantage and casually stroll off to a distant 1-2 finish no matter what you do (not rubberbanding). They cheat. MK8 just has an orchestrated set of checks and balances.

Having had more time with the game, though, I'm getting better at the Dallara and having an easier time with other wacky hard-to-drive cars. 👍

Back