GT drunk driving commercial

  • Thread starter Thread starter pasigiri
  • 54 comments
  • 4,114 views
It's a bit of a dramatization, but it's very true, and I think it's actually pretty decent. The full racing gear is pretty funny. I can't imagine what my wife would say if she walked in and I had a race suit and helmet on.

Coming from somebody who drinks regularly and plays GT sometimes while doing so, it absolutely affects lap times, crashing, restarting, and all of the above, even before being legally drunk.

I recall a seasonal from GT5 on the ring earlier this year (which I'm pretty good at). I was well over the legal driving limit and spun out at least a dozen times (and restarted each one). I was frustrated, but then laughed and said I'll gold it in the morning. Woke up the next day, sat down, and got gold on my first try, no spins, perfect lap. Night and day difference.

Driving while drunk in GT can be amusing, but driving while drunk on the road is not. That's what the guy did that hit and killed my younger brother and his best friend when they were just 16 years old. When they put "you can restart life" on the screen, it hit home for me. :(
 
It would be better if it showed a proper scientific comparison between driving sober and drunk, it was pretty obvious this person was driving like a turnip on purpose and not as a result of alcohol, the one hand on the steering wheel told me that. Of course I would never drive drunk.
 
That's actually pretty cool.




I could really use a glass of scotch right now though... :lol:
 
Last edited:
It's a bit of a dramatization, but it's very true, and I think it's actually pretty decent. The full racing gear is pretty funny. I can't imagine what my wife would say if she walked in and I had a race suit and helmet on.

Coming from somebody who drinks regularly and plays GT sometimes while doing so, it absolutely affects lap times, crashing, restarting, and all of the above, even before being legally drunk.

I recall a seasonal from GT5 on the ring earlier this year (which I'm pretty good at). I was well over the legal driving limit and spun out at least a dozen times (and restarted each one). I was frustrated, but then laughed and said I'll gold it in the morning. Woke up the next day, sat down, and got gold on my first try, no spins, perfect lap. Night and day difference.

Driving while drunk in GT can be amusing, but driving while drunk on the road is not. That's what the guy did that hit and killed my younger brother and his best friend when they were just 16 years old. When they put "you can restart life" on the screen, it hit home for me. :(
Sorry to hear of your loss mate:indiff:
It's just a shame though that all the drink driving ads that've been broadcasted still don't seem to have an impact as people are still being killed. Sad.
 
Amo!!!!! :D He's also a member of GTPlanet, but I forgot what his username was.

Edit: It's @amaury87 I think.
 
Last edited:
This is amazing, wow! Great campaign, not too serious so people will ignore it, but also not too ridiculous.
@e-racer Sorry about your loss, a tragic proof how horrible drunk driving is.
 
They should make this a mandatory part of driver's ed everywhere. 👍 👍

Not so heavy that it turns people off...
...but sure to snag the attention of the 35 and under crowd raised on video games.
 
[quote="JogoAsobi, post: 9122639, member: 178339"Not so heavy that it turns people off...
...but sure to snag the attention of the 35 and under crowd raised on video games.[/quote]

Damn... I'm 37 and played plenty of video games growing up. You may have to raise the bar for us old folk. ;)
 
I had a few too many mimosas this past Easter and decided to test my driving skills on Forza in the Viper GTS-R.
It was enlightening. I was aware of what i was doing and tried my best to keep the car on the track but much like the video, my reaction time was horrible and either went off track or rear ended quite a few cars.
What scared me most was I have no recollection of an entire lap of Le Mans.
 
Damn... I'm 37 and played plenty of video games growing up. You may have to raise the bar for us old folk. ;)

I am older than you. :lol:

First video game here was Pong, the original Atari version. :sly:

Closest thing to Video Games before that were Slot Cars...
 
Last edited:
I'm gonna have to try this. Tomorrow night. When I'm sitting at home by myself. On christmas eve. Good times.

...

...

Good times. :(
 
I like the effect of a British track looking like a Japanese one after he drank. I think we've all had those sorts of nights...

Seriously, don't drink and drive.
 
The guy was having trouble walking back to his racing cockpit and sitting down.

I don't think it's much of a surprise that someone who has trouble walking and sitting can't drive that well. Anyone who drives a real car in that state is a complete moron. Anyone willing to drive a car in that state isn't going to be turned off by a cute ad.

I think it would have been more interesting to see the difference if he'd just had a couple of drinks instead of getting wasted. That stage when you still feel more or less fine, but actually you're far more impaired than you think.
 
False advertising, crash sounds don't sound like that in the game.
 
Bravo Amo, that's one message that can never be repeated enough. Full support here.
 
Did the same thing once 4 years ago, it's very true, couldnt keep a straight line lol...
 
I think it's BS. Yeah it might slow you down a bit but I never had that many problems drinking and racing.

2/10 would not watch again.
 
I'm not condoning drunk driving at all, it never should be done... but GT after a night out is amazing... I don't really know how, but I put up some of my best times after quite a few lol...
 
This is quite possibly the best non-shockvertising road safety PSA I have ever watched. It was quite funny watching him stumble into his seat though:lol:
 
Back