GT: HD Concept Impressions

What do you mean "looking on the PS3?" My PS3 is not yet connected to anything, were you saying that you go thru the PS3 to get the Demo? I have a sick feeling they took it down...crap!! The only disc ever in my PS 2 is Gran Turismo and I only bought the PS3 to get the GTHD demo!!!

I haven't checked lately to see if it's not there, but as said before, but i don't know how long it might take, PD said they would be releasing other versions of GTHD demo's over the next year or so before GT5 comes out. Sorry for your luck though if it really isn't there anymore.

Well, I completely understand that, but that said, it's not something that directly effects the way the game plays.

I, for one, can completely understand the desire for skid marks.

But I am absolutely perplexed as to why everyone makes such a fuss about reverse lights. Sure, it's stupid they aren't in there, but really, when are you EVER going in reverse? Maybe it's just because I think only "noobs" play in 3rd person camera, and I just see absolutely no reason to be upset about it.

I understand your point, but it is a point of realism and market competition for Gran Turismo (if others games have it, GT should as well). I could really care less about damage, but everyone is in an uproar about crashing cars. I always thought car damage was a bad thing when you're trying to drive.

I know reverse lights are a silly item to talk about, but if they are so silly, then why don't the cars have them.

My PS3 is not yet connected to anything, were you saying that you go thru the PS3 to get the Demo?

Then how did you expect to download the demo?

I could really care less about damage, but everyone is in an uproar about crashing cars. I always thought car damage was a bad thing when you're trying to drive.

I hope that's the way they impliment it, in fact. People are yelling and screaming for damage in GT5, but I bet after ten minutes of playing they're going to want to turn it off. They'll go off the track somewhere on lap one, and the race will be over, car destroyed. And *gasp* it won't be automatically repaired if you stop in the pits for ten seconds!!

I just hope they do it that way. Pretty much every other game that features "damage" does so in a very poor fashion, I think. It's mostly cosmetic, and causes various "levels" of performance loss in parts of the car, but nothing in particular to the wreck. The fact that you can run head-on into a wall at 180mph and then continue racing says it all.

Thats josh barnett slamming yuki kondo :P
yeah this weekend is completely freaking insane :D IFL already happened yesterday, in 3 hours UFC, and then PRIDE and K1. :D

there's lots of racing techniques that people will use in gt5 that were never needed in gt4. things like controlling the pace of cars behind you. all the little mindgames that only work with living breathing people :P

The pic reminded me of Kevin Randleman slamming the hell out of Fedor, and then subsequently tapping out a minute or less later because Fedor is a beast. Did Liddel beat the hell out of Tito again?

I'm hoping you can mess with the other drivers super realistically...like if you pass them in a drift, they will get super aggravated and drive erratically. Gah I can't wait.

What do you mean "looking on the PS3?" My PS3 is not yet connected to anything, were you saying that you go thru the PS3 to get the Demo? I have a sick feeling they took it down...crap!! The only disc ever in my PS 2 is Gran Turismo and I only bought the PS3 to get the GTHD demo!!!

The only way to get GTHD is to download it thru the Playststion store on the PS3.
I just checked & it is still availible for download so hook up your PS3 & go get it!!

Then how did you expect to download the demo?

I hope that's the way they impliment it, in fact. People are yelling and screaming for damage in GT5, but I bet after ten minutes of playing they're going to want to turn it off. They'll go off the track somewhere on lap one, and the race will be over, car destroyed. And *gasp* it won't be automatically repaired if you stop in the pits for ten seconds!!

I just hope they do it that way. Pretty much every other game that features "damage" does so in a very poor fashion, I think. It's mostly cosmetic, and causes various "levels" of performance loss in parts of the car, but nothing in particular to the wreck. The fact that you can run head-on into a wall at 180mph and then continue racing says it all.

If the damage and assists come in any form like F1: CE then fans will be more than happy. You should try the demo if you hvaen' already, it perfectly illustrates how to make an accessible game, and a hardcore racer.

it is pretty hard to manji the straight...in real life there is a lot of clutch involved though, for most people at least.
yeah, i don't use any clutch except to initiate maybe. usually i'm coming out of the previous turn and am just trying to link to the next turn.

What's the deal with the records? They seem to get reset every few days. Is that intentional or are their servers crashing? And it is supremely frustrating when I set new records and get network errors when it goes to upload them... I hope they get all this sorted out soon.

Oh, and GT5 should definitely have skid marks. They should have had them from GT1 on.

What's the deal with the records? They seem to get reset every few days. Is that intentional or are their servers crashing? And it is supremely frustrating when I set new records and get network errors when it goes to upload them... I hope they get all this sorted out soon.

Oh, and GT5 should definitely have skid marks. They should have had them from GT1 on.

A lot of the times are bogus. There's a glitch. If you score a legitimate time, it stays up there, but not for long. People keep knocking the times off by racing faster.

So does the PS3 network/online have some issues to resolve before GT5? Have'nt got my hands on one yet. I know Live always gets updates to keep it running good, so maybe thats all the PS3 will need.

So does the PS3 network/online have some issues to resolve before GT5? Have'nt got my hands on one yet. I know Live always gets updates to keep it running good, so maybe thats all the PS3 will need.

There are no issues with the PSN and playing online, the GT: HD issue is with Polyphony screwing up their code and n00blets being children on the internet because they suck hard.

Seems like the JPN servers are a little more competitive.

Usually, on the US servers, I can stay on the top 100 without breaking a sweat any day of the week.

On the JPN servers (which have presumably fewer users than US PS3 owners) I can't even break into the top 100, and I'm only mid way in the top 200 (250ish).

I think I'll be racing on the JPN servers for a while to get better and then hop over to the US servers to move up quickly :)

Its relatively easy to get into the top 50 or even 30 in the US market. When my buddy first got the download it only took about 20 - 30 minutes, and I live in Canada. I was told afterwards that it was only available in Japan or something. Anyway, its pretty good fun, but tire marks and smoke would make for a better experience.

The smoke really isn't as bad as people say it is. It's relatively good, as it doesn't look fake and super thick. I mean, how much can you really ask? I'm thinking the reason for these issues are to make room for damage (hopefully).

If there's no damage, I completely agree.

The front wheel camber also looks pretty off-beat on the FF... but that'll be corrected for sure...
IMHO dynamic camber would also slowly become an issue for a sim of this magnitude.

Attachments

• GTcompahonda.jpg
    GTcompahonda.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 86
The front wheel camber also looks pretty off-beat on the FF... but that'll be corrected for sure...
IMHO dynamic camber would also slowly become an issue for a sim of this magnitude.

I never noticed that, but whole-heartedly agree

The thing that shocked me most about the demo was that the drivers have seatbelts that actually move with the driver's movement. Lifelike

You an only see that if you have a widescreen TV I think. with the camera that looks like it is one of the side mirrors. widescreen lets you look in the cockpit a little bit

The thing that shocked me most about the demo was that the drivers have seatbelts that actually move with the driver's movement.
They do? Not bad! 👍

SileightyCyrus
I never noticed that, but whole-heartedly agree
I'm pretty sure this will be fixed. If you just look at the wheels... the tire detail is quite nice too... you can actually tell which tire is mounted on the rim.
:D

The smoke really isn't as bad as people say it is. It's relatively good, as it doesn't look fake and super thick. I mean, how much can you really ask? I'm thinking the reason for these issues are to make room for damage (hopefully).

If there's no damage, I completely agree.

Its only bad if you have seen drifting IRL. The smoke they produce is so thick you can't see through it until 5 or 10ft behind the car, and it lingers in the air for a minute instead of disapearing in 2 sec. The trail of smoke can be thru the entire corner you are drifting not just 10 ft behind your car. It really is bad when compared to teh smoke effects in PGR3, and TDU. Even though they are arcadey they have some great sound and smoke effects, with tire marks.

Its only bad if you have seen drifting IRL. The smoke they produce is so thick you can't see through it until 5 or 10ft behind the car, and it lingers in the air for a minute instead of disapearing in 2 sec. The trail of smoke can be thru the entire corner you are drifting not just 10 ft behind your car. It really is bad when compared to teh smoke effects in PGR3, and TDU. Even though they are arcadey they have some great sound and smoke effects, with tire marks.

Yet the physics are less demanding.

It's like this. There's a tradeoff. We can get really good visuals and (hopefully) good damage, with good simulation (decent at least). Or we can get really good smoke, rubber band physics, and really good sound.

It's all just a trade off for processing power. You can't have it all, and GT has certainly been known to set the bar visually, and to yeild a lower standard would definately be a big blow, though certainly not as big as their apparent lack of concern when it comes to force feedback.

GO SONY! :grumpy: :grumpy:

PS. I'm talking about wheel force feedback, I could care less about rumble.

I would love for PD to compromise with a slight hit in graphics( the PS3 would still wow us with the improvment over GT4) if they were able to make the sound on par with other racing games. And also if they could get the smoke to not look like a flag your pulling thru the corner. GT HD looks better than any FM2 screen or vid I have seen, but even a slight hit in graphics would still keep them on top here. Maybe we will have to wait until GT6 to get more stuff we want, but I would take a hit in graphics for better sound and misc stuff like good low speed physics, tire marks, and better smoke.

It's like this. There's a tradeoff. We can get really good visuals and (hopefully) good damage, with good simulation (decent at least). Or we can get really good smoke, rubber band physics, and really good sound.
Hmm ...
Phil Harrison has taken another opportunity to talk-up the PS3's technical capabilities, saying that no-one will ever be able to tap 100% of the capabilities of Sony's cell-powered PlayStation 3.
Well I don't see why should there be any comprise :sly:
Sarcasm off

GranTurismo was and IS a simulation. And it should stay that way. In the end, that's why fans all over the world are buying it. I don't care about the smoke (in real life, tyre burning also makes really dense smoke) and damage. I want to get a realistic physics. Graphics and sound is just a bonus which we get. Well if I'm honest the sound should be better than GT4.

Why does better sound samples equate to more demand on the system? I don't see it that way at all. How about better samples? I see no reason to compromise graphics in this regard. On to Cell processing, I thought the beauty of that technology is that individual cells perform individual tasks. Given that, I don't see how relieving graphical loads on the system would allow for more resources to be used on physics and sounds. I think what we see in the demo is a unfinished product. It gives us a taste of what to expect. There are details that are in GT3 that are missing in this demo, I just don't see them releasing a final product with these short comings.

Usually creating better sounds in a game of this nature will mean recording more sounds.. Different sounds for different mechanical components ect, that means more sounds playing at the same time. The other aspect is the quality of the sounds, you can encode sounds in different ways and the better the quality of the sound the more processing power it will take to run it and the more memory it will take up.

Usually creating better sounds in a game of this nature will mean recording more sounds.. Different sounds for different mechanical components ect, that means more sounds playing at the same time. The other aspect is the quality of the sounds, you can encode sounds in different ways and the better the quality of the sound the more processing power it will take to run it and the more memory it will take up.

You could make the Skyline sound more like a Skyline and less like a Bi-Plane with a better recorded sample. I thought GT3 has way better sound then what this demo reflects. In regards to using higher sample rates, see my point on multi-cell processing.

I think what we see in the demo is a unfinished product. It gives us a taste of what to expect.
I totally agree.

About the sound. If you have played NFS on PS2 you get very differend sounds. Although the game sux, the sound are way nicer than the GT. I don't know if they are more real, but they do sound nicer :)

Back