GT: HD Concept Impressions

Polyphony listens to a degree, and I believe they listened when people said no microtransactions the way GT:HD was going to.

True, but that doesn't mean that we should be happy about the outcome my friend!
What I am trying to say here, is that we have the means to make our wishes heard to Polyphony and it's producers!!!

I do not know in what extend they do listen.....We want online features in the future games!!!!!! And that includes GT-HD and GT5, and so on...and so on....

I also agree with the off topic situation. It is boring and tiresome to all. I apologise for doing the same mistake of answering....:ill:

True, but that doesn't mean that we should be happy about the outcome my friend!
What I am trying to say here, is that we have the means to make our wishes heard to Polyphony and it's producers!!!

I do not know in what extend they do listen.....We want online features in the future games!!!!!! And that includes GT-HD and GT5, and so on...and so on....

I also agree with the off topic situation. It is boring and tiresome to all. I apologise for doing the same mistake of answering....:ill:
You technically do. It's called online leaderboards already. Take it as a good sign.

Ok!!! I will keep my spirits up!!!!👍

After all, I find the Gran Turismo series the best racing sim ever!!!! Yes, I admit I'm a hardcore fan!!!!:) :) :)

Now, about the HD....

Can a car flip?????

Will, Polyphony, at some point consider to add physical damage to the cars??? (not something like GT2, which was only bad handling after a collision....:( )

I want to see brocken axles, stock brakes that go down on you after 2 laps in [SIZE=-1]Nürburgring.....broken glass, flat tires, mechanical failures, engine blows!

I also would like to fit in ANY car, ANY kind of aspiration I choose. Either that is N/A, either Turbo, either supercharger.....

Custom paintjob, wind tinting. And finnaly, I find rather anoying that I cannot choose the "original suspension" mod for every car of my choice!!!!
And don't tell me that a Vitz RS (Yaris, Echo) doesn't have a Cup suspension!!!! I own one in the real world and I know...trust me!!!! ;)

Sorry about the long post....I just felt like I needed to say a few things, being such a huge fan of the game for so many years!!!! It was the first videogame that I 've bought....:) :) :) :)
[/SIZE]

Kazunori has expressed his concern on modding and damage, and says they're both a major factor they're working on.

There's no difference in total resolution between 1080i and 1080p, both use 1920x1080 pixels. To get the full picture quality, you'll need to buy a full HD TV set, and it won't matter if GT5 will be in 1080i or 1080p.

Regards
the Interceptor

There is a different, hence the "i" and "p".

Sure, both display 1920x1080, but on an interlaced signal, you're seeing half of that every half a second, so effectively it's only "30" frames per second. This is why things look significantly more "jagged" on interlaced resolutions in comparison to progressive signals. There is also the jitters issue, which often occurs with interlaced signals (see: GT4).

But, if you don't have a TV large enough (50" minimum) then it really won't matter much to you to get 1080p, since most sets will so some level of deinterlacing.

There's no difference in total resolution between 1080i and 1080p, both use 1920x1080 pixels. To get the full picture quality, you'll need to buy a full HD TV set, and it won't matter if GT5 will be in 1080i or 1080p.

Regards
the Interceptor
There is a different, hence the "i" and "p".

Sure, both display 1920x1080, but on an interlaced signal, you're seeing half of that every half a second, so effectively it's only "30" frames per second. This is why things look significantly more "jagged" on interlaced resolutions in comparison to progressive signals. There is also the jitters issue, which often occurs with interlaced signals (see: GT4).

But, if you don't have a TV large enough (50" minimum) then it really won't matter much to you to get 1080p, since most sets will so some level of deinterlacing.
I know there's a difference between "i" and "p", which is why I said that there's no difference in total resolution between 1080i and 1080p. Both standards use 1920x1080 pixels. To display the picture 1:1, you need a panel with 1920x1080 native pixels. And for that, it doesn't matter if the source provides 1080i or 1080p.

Regards
the Interceptor

I know there's a difference between "i" and "p", which is why I said that there's no difference in total resolution between 1080i and 1080p. Both standards use 1920x1080 pixels. To display the picture 1:1, you need a panel with 1920x1080 native pixels. And for that, it doesn't matter if the source provides 1080i or 1080p.

Regards
the Interceptor

Then explain the jag-fest that is GT4 in 1080i on my 1080p TV. 720p Xbox games look worlds better.

On progressive displays, a 1080i signal is broken down into it's separate fields, and one field is discarded entirely. The TV can't "merge" the fields into frames the way it can for a movie, not on 60i game signals. So you end up with a 1920x540 signal running at 30fps. Hardly much improvement over 480p, and that's from eyes-on experience, since I picked up component cables for my PS2 today.

No but the total resolution is still the same, the display is still 1920x1080 native pixels even is the actual method of scanning is only using half of them at any one time. Like he said, there is a difference, but it's not the total resolution, they are both called 1080 because of the resolution.

OK, while we're on about these different resolutions...

If the GTHD supports 1080p and 720p, what shall I do as I'm probably going to get a TV with a resolution of 1366x768? Am I just screwed for good?

- R -

OK, while we're on about these different resolutions...

If the GTHD supports 1080p and 720p, what shall I do as I'm probably going to get a TV with a resolution of 1366x768? Am I just screwed for good?

- R -

You would use 720p. You'll never notice the slight upscaling that the TV is doing to get it to 768.

What's the conclusion?

Should I buy LCD or Plasma?

The 1080p "full HD" is a must have?

Mention an ideal candidate example: like the sony bravia lcd 40" full hd...

What's the conclusion?

I didn't realize we were supposed to be finding one...

Wildchildpr
Should I buy LCD or Plasma?

Which looks better to you?

Wildchildpr
The 1080p "full HD" is a must have?

Yes.

Wildchildpr
Mention an ideal candidate example: like the sony bravia lcd 40" full hd...

No. The last thing you need, especially given your lack of knowledge on the subject, is someone else choosing your TV for you. Go to the store. Look around. Find one that looks best TO YOU. Find the one that YOU want. The has the features that YOU want. This is a decision that only YOU can make, not us. It's your money, not ours. It's your house, not ours.

I recommend you spend a bit of time digging around Google or Wikipedia, to educate yourself on some of this stuff, before jumping headlong into buying something that might not work out that well. I spent well over a year researching every kind of television technology known to mankind, researching hundreds of individual televisions, before finally making a decision. As a result, it's a decision that I'm quite confident in, and quite happy with. Without that knowledge base, you'll never know what you're buying. And "some guy on the internet said it was good" is NO way to be educated.

Thanks for the recomendation; I'm working on it

I'm used to research a lot before the final desition; that's why I'm comunicating here, Someone brings the topic and I just ask a simple question.

But why if you has all that year long research, trips, experiences, ect..
Don't simply share a clear, direct responsose.

what a recomendation! google, wikepidia.

If someone needs something that I can share or educate, I would do my best to help.

Which looks better to you?
I think that is not so trustly because the unit must be properly setup or adjust.

I ask for an example model or unit, so I can focus in similar specs.
I don't even know if plasma or LCD to start with. There are many contradition about those 2 technologys; that I'm confused: blacks, speed -ms, burning, ect...

Any way I will keep trying to learn, this are my firsts days of the year long learning journey.

Then explain the jag-fest that is GT4 in 1080i on my 1080p TV. 720p Xbox games look worlds better.
That's because GT4 does not provide real 1080i. They cheated by letting the PS2 render 640x480i, so the total image equals 640x960 lines. The result was then upscaled to 1920x1080i. Knowing that, there's no doubt that even the presumably lower quality 720p of the Xbox looks much better, because the picture is rendered with 720 real lines. Scaling low resolution graphics up with limited capabilities can not keep up with that.

The 1080i of GT4 is in no way comparable with the 1080i of GTHD on a 1080 native lines display.

Regards
the Interceptor

You would use 720p. You'll never notice the slight upscaling that the TV is doing to get it to 768.
Actually, I notice the difference quite a bit.

Upscaling to 1080i on our TV of the same resolution (1366x768), everything is sharper, less fuzzy, especially text.

It's just a shame I won't be able to afford an 1080p TV for the full-on experience of GT: HD...

Hi Everyone,

I need some helpfull advise please, I have the chance to buy a PS3 tonight and I'm 99% sure I am going to do it, I just have one concearn!

I am in the UK, and the PS3 is from Hong Kong.

Will I be able to download patches and demos without any problems. In particular I want to be able to download the GTHD demo.

Thanks for any helpfull advise anyone is able to offer!

That's because GT4 does not provide real 1080i. They cheated by letting the PS2 render 640x480i, so the total image equals 640x960 lines.

What the hell does that even mean? That makes precisely zero sense.

On the flip side, I actually know how deinterlacers work, and believe me, what I described is exactly what's happening. The television is discarding one field of the interlaced image. That's what it's SUPPOSED to do in situations like that, it's the only thing it CAN do.

That's because GT4 does not provide real 1080i. They cheated by letting the PS2 render 640x480i, so the total image equals 640x960 lines.
What the hell does that even mean? That makes precisely zero sense.
It does make sense. We know that the PS2 already struggles to put out 720x480p, that's pretty much the max it can do (I was wrong with 640x480, it actually is 720x480). There is no way the PS2 can render 1920x1080 pixels at the same time. Therefor, PD used a trick to get there.

As stated before, one 1920x1080i frame actually consists of half the number of lines (540) due to the interlaced format. When generating an image, it theoretically would be enough to compute 1920x540 pixels to get one displayable picture. PD had to go one step further though. In GT4s 1080i mode, the console renders pictures with a resolution of 720x480 pixels, which equals the load of rendering in 480p. The 480 lines are not a full picture however, they are the odd or even lines of a picture with twice the height (960 lines). This means that with the same load of generating 60 full frames with 720x480 pixels a second (=480p), the PS2 generates 60 odd or even frames with 720x960 pixels a second. Afterwards, the picture is being streched to a 1920x1080 pattern, to be able to display the picture in 1080i.
If you look at a comparison shot between GT4s 480p (60 full frames with 720x480 pixels) and 1080i (60 half frames with 720x960 pixels, upscaled), you will notice that only the vertical resolution is much higher (compare the lower end of the rear windows) in 1080i, while the horizontal resolution (compare the shape of the cars on the left side) is the same.

This leads to the conclusion that 1080i in GT4 does not consist of images actually rendered with 1920x1080 pixels, rather than a cleverly made original picture (720x480) with a doubled vertical resolution through intelligent use of the interlaced video format (720x960), which is then upscaled to 1920x1080 pixels and sold as 1080i.

Regards
the Interceptor

To say that 1080p is the holy grail is going to far IMO. It all depends on the size of the TV and your viewing distance. 1080 is probably a must when you hit screen sizes of 40 inches plus, but at 32 inches or less a 720p TV (generally 1368x768) at sensible viewing distances of about 6-8 feet will be just fine.

I have a Toshiba WLT66 1368x768 and I get superb quality at around 6ft. A move to 1080p just wouldn't be worth the extra cash and screen size at this distance. This TV also excepts 1080i sources which are down-scaled to 768 giving a slightly better picture than a 720p source IMO.

To illustrate this, just think of how clear GT4 is on a good little 14 CRT and how much worse it looks on a larger screen.

I can't wait to give you all a run for your money on the leaderboards once Playasia sends out my PS3. Then I just need to get a HDTV...

Does anyone else think it's weird that the two main headlines on the front page are "Gran Turismo HD Cancelled" then five days later "Gran Turismo HD Is Here!" ??? Just throwing that out there...

This Drift Trial is the worst addition to GT ever, in my opinion. Not only is it near impossible to drive this way with the DFP, but only half of the cars in the game are rear-wheel. The Miata seems under powered and the G35 seems too large for the track.

I am really enjoying the music. It all sounds truly great. However, I do miss the Acura/Honda theme from GT1, I wish it could be duplicated again.

No, the only magazine that would be able to do it (Official Playstation Magazine) is now defunct. It's not like you don't have an Internet connection, go download it. 630MB won't take that long.

No, the only magazine that would be able to do it (Official Playstation Magazine) is now defunct. It's not like you don't have an Internet connection, go download it. 630MB won't take that long.

Actually - that was one of the biggest pains in my butt this week - taking my brother in law's PS3 to another TV near the internet connection to DL GT:HD. It took an hour of tinkering with the PS3, TV, Wireless Router, etc. in order to get it done, and that doesn't count the 1 hr download.

This Drift Trial is the worst addition to GT ever, in my opinion. Not only is it near impossible to drive this way with the DFP, but only half of the cars in the game are rear-wheel. The Miata seems under powered and the G35 seems too large for the track.

I am really enjoying the music. It all sounds truly great. However, I do miss the Acura/Honda theme from GT1, I wish it could be duplicated again.

There are many people drifting with the DFP.

The Miata is correctly underpowered.

The G35 is a bit large, but I've seen real drifting of a Chaser, which is similar size, on the Gunsai Touge in drift videos. That size to track ratio is much more ridiculous. The top drifters in Japan started out with the same size to track size. Search: Nobuteru Taniguchi touge on youtube.

AWD drifts incredibly well if you know what you're doing. Rally cross drivers don't grip the roads on the tarmac sections.

FF cars can be drifted in many ways. The very first Japanese sactioned American drift competition was won by a Honda Civic.

Back