GT Sport Champion Igor Fraga Wins Twice in Monza to Take F3 Championship Podium

That's why I would not allow him racing in GT Sport E-sports venues. He's a professional car racer irl and it is absolutely unfair towards the other players who raced only in the virtual world IMHO.

That's why I would not allow him racing in GT Sport E-sports venues. He's a professional car racer irl and it is absolutely unfair towards the other players who raced only in the virtual world IMHO.
There's no rule saying gamers can't be professional racers. And by your logic people that have a driver's license have a vantage over those who don't and therefore shouldn't be allowed to compete.

A professional driver competing in GT Sport is great marketing for the game. I don't understand why this upsets people...

Last edited:
I agree, but I've tried talking it out with people here, even talked to @Tom about it at the NY Event. It's certainly a controversial topic, and unfortunately you won't get many that agree with you here.

They really don't need the extra marketing.

I don't see why it would be unfair. Watch some of his videos, he has been playing GT games since he was a child. Why not let him compete in a game that he loves and grew up with?

Igor is in f3. Its not like hes Lewis hamilton who is an f1 champion. Gt sport is lucky to have him racing for FREE. Real bull**** is that gt sport players get zero money for winning events. Unpaid labor is bull****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Igor is in f3. Its not like hes Lewis hamilton who is an f1 champion. Gt sport is lucky to have him racing for FREE. Real bull**** is that gt sport players get zero money for winning events. Unpaid labor is bull****.
Although I do see the e-sport side of the game growing in the future and bigger prizes being offered, I wouldn't call it a labor. At least, not yet. People play the game because they like it, and they know there aren't relevant money prizes. The sport aspect of the franchise is just beginning.

Lewis Hamilton sucks at sim racing. His brother beats him. I don't think you can say one translates directly to the other. It's the only e-sport with a very close real-life equivalent but it's still not the same thing. Close in many ways but not the same. In some ways sim racing is much harder, in other ways much easier and so being good in one does not mean you will be good in the other. Hence I seen zero issues with allowing him to compete in the virtual world also.

The internet never ceases to amaze me.

By this logic, Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, and Alex Albon should all be banned from competing in F1, since they were gamers first, and that gives them an unfair advantage over old farts like Kimi and Lewis.

The internet never ceases to amaze me.

By this logic, Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, and Alex Albon should all be banned from competing in F1, since they were gamers first, and that gives them an unfair advantage over old farts like Kimi and Lewis.
That analogy makes no sense. The sim racing that they do is not in competition like Fraga.

Although I do see the e-sport side of the game growing in the future and bigger prizes being offered, I wouldn't call it a labor. At least, not yet. People play the game because they like it, and they know there aren't relevant money prizes. The sport aspect of the franchise is just beginning.

Maybe kazunori the cameramen and broadcasters should all work for free since what they do is not labor to your standards. Thats called communism and the same reason college athletes are unpaid. Because its easy to exploit the labor of young broke people. Shame on kazunori and sony for not paying competitors

Maybe kazunori the cameramen and broadcasters should all work for free since what they do is not labor to your standards. Thats called communism and the same reason college athletes are unpaid. Because its easy to exploit the labor of young broke people. Shame on kazunori and sony for not paying competitors
That's a pretty bad comparison, really. Kaz is Sony's employee and cameramen and broadcasters are also employees. GT Sport's competitors are NOT employees, at least not yet. They play the game because they like it and they want to. No one is forcing any of us to participate in the events. We have a choice.

Like I said before, I do believe that the e-sport aspect of the game will get bigger in the future. And probably, prize moneys will be offered soon, but we're not at that stage yet. GT Sport isn't as big (in the competitive stage) as League of Legends or Overwatch yet. It's just a matter of time, you just need to be patient.

Last edited:
There is literally no advantage that a IRL racing driver has over a virtual racer when competing in a virtual environment. Igor just happens to be really good at Gran Turismo, which allows him to consistently do well in the GT live events.

Maybe kazunori the cameramen and broadcasters should all work for free since what they do is not labor to your standards. Thats called communism and the same reason college athletes are unpaid.
No, Communism is where government controls all the means of production and distributes wealth equally among the population in a police state. What you're trying to suggest is more akin to slavery - where people are forced to work for another person, without pay...

... but nobody's forcing anyone.

And it's a very weird thing to bring up in a thread congratulating one of our GT Sport community for an impressive achievement in real-world racing.

"Absolutely unfair" is going a bit far IMO. Unless there is some specific type of series restriction like an all-female league, or all one nationality, etc. I don't really see what is unfair about these competitions. It's a competition for the fastest Gran Turismo players on earth, correct? Well then anyone that can play the game should be eligible.

Btw, Igor was probably faster than virtually everyone online before he became a professional race car driver. He's a very talented driver and has been playing Gran Turismo with a wheel since he could walk.

Relax. The sport will get there. Keep in mind this is still very early days in eSports, especially in console racing. And in case you missed it, these guys don't go home empty handed. There are a lot of prizes and other perks for racing in these competitions. Relatively speaking, very few had even heard of most of these guys before the World Tour events. Now many of them, and not just the winners, are much more widely known in sim-racing circles. Btw, your analogy is completely absurd. What you describe has nothing to do with Communism. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No, because they are in F1 they should not be allowed in competitions. You guys have some weird backwards way of thinking about things lol

He lost the paris world tour to nico rubilar and made a pretty bad mistake in the pit stops not to mention that hizal was pretty close to fragas pace in new york(Hizal got so close the brake check drama happened).

Another reference point. David Perel is a professional Ferrari driver in the Blancpain GT series. He's a nice guy and also a sim Racer. He recently started back into iRacing and driving the Ferrari that he drives in real life he's not immediately dominating the races. I'm sure he will get better but he might not ever reach the highest ranks of Ferrari drivers on iRacing. That said, could easily be that the best iRacing Ferrari driver if given the chance and time might not ever be able to beat David (who is not actually the fastest GT driver to be honest). What this points out again, is that while similar, sim racing and real life racing are different and skill set is not 100% cross compatible.

Considering how he basically has the same overwhelming pace from last year, is him being a professional Racing driver this year THAT big of an advantage?

If that's the case, why isn't Nick McMillen on his level since he too is a racing driver? If we're applying your logic of simply banning someone due to them being race car drivers, then that means Nick would also have to be banned as well.

Considering how he basically has the same overwhelming pace from last year, is him being a professional Racing driver this year THAT big of an advantage?

If that's the case, why isn't Nick McMillen on his level since he too is a racing driver? If we're applying your logic of simply banning someone due to them being race car drivers, then that means Nick would also have to be banned as well.
When I first found out that Fraga was a racing driver I was annoyed. But to this point, banning racing drivers means banning any driver that came from GT Academy which seems ridiculous.

At the end of the day, real racing drivers getting in to esports will only help it grow and give it credibility.

When I first found out that Fraga was a racing driver I was annoyed. But to this point, banning racing drivers means banning any driver that came from GT Academy which seems ridiculous.

At the end of the day, real racing drivers getting in to esports will only help it grow and give it credibility.
Fraga is not a “race driver”. Up until a couple years ago, he’d never driven a real car. The first time he drove a racecar, he threw up all over himself.

He’s a sim racer who has transitioned to racing real cars. He was fast in a sim well before he ever drove a real car, and he’ll continue to be fast in a sim regardless of whether he continues to drive for real or not. The fact he’s started doing F3 doesn’t give him any kind of advantage over those who are strictly sim racers.

No, because they are in F1 they should not be allowed in competitions. You guys have some weird backwards way of thinking about things lol
Why though?

G-Forces aside, they have much more experience driving cars at their limit. That experience gives them an unfair advantage going in against anyone that has only played games their whole life. In my opinion.

G-Forces aside, they have much more experience driving cars at their limit. That experience gives them an unfair advantage going in against anyone that has only played games their whole life. In my opinion.
In the red corner: a professional racing driver who's literally just picked up this game!
In the blue corner: a gamer who's been playing this game 8hr a day for the last two years!

Place your bets ladies and gen... wait, the bout has been cancelled because the racing driver has an obvious unfair advantage. Sorry folks!

Soldiers have an unfair advantage at COD too, I guess?

Also I wouldn't tell Max and Lando they don't do serious sim-racing.

Fraga is not a “race driver”. Up until a couple years ago, he’d never driven a real car. The first time he drove a racecar, he threw up all over himself.

He’s a sim racer who has transitioned to racing real cars. He was fast in a sim well before he ever drove a real car, and he’ll continue to be fast in a sim regardless of whether he continues to drive for real or not. The fact he’s started doing F3 doesn’t give him any kind of advantage over those who are strictly sim racers.
So he drives in F3 but he's not a racing driver? Why is that the debate all of a sudden? And why can't a person be both?

And if you read the entire comment you'd see that I'm agreeing with you...

Yeah, imagine that: GT Sport "The Real Driving Simulator that doesn't allow real racers/drivers to play". What a wonderful motto that would be. Or maybe this one: GT Sport "Driving is NOT for everyone. Literally".

And what's next? Soldiers can't play Call of Duty? Football players can't play Fifa? LeBron can't play NBA 2k?

Last edited:
I’ll bet that the average sim racer has more laps done around Spa than Lewis, Kimi, and Seb combined. Who has the advantage?

If racing in real life gives a driver an advantage in games, then surely the converse is true, and racing in sims gives advantage to driving in real life. Since this is supposedly the case, and real driver who also races on a sim (Lando, Max, Alex, etc) would have an unfair advantage over those who don’t. Truth is, we know that’s not the case - sinking hours into a sim won’t guarantee that you’ll be quick in real life, and being a multiple F1 world champion in no way guarantees that you’ll be fast on a sim.

Edit:
While we're at it, better not inform Parker Kligermen or Darrell Wallace Jr about this.
Or Dale Earnhardt Jr (met his career long spotter through iRacing back in like 99/00), Jeff Gordon, Kelvin and Sheldon Vanderlinder (GT3 aces, one of them drives in DTM as well), Scott McLaughlin (current Aussie Supercars champ), to name a few more.

Edit 2:
Just as a general point, think back to when Formula E had that esport comp in Vegas last year. Felix Rosenqvist was the only real driver who could keep up with the sim guys. Aside from Felix, the “real” drivers got left in the virtual dust.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back