GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here are the results of this week's duel!

Background Music! (PC Link)

For mobile users:

LAPTIMES (15 Laps)

Audi TTS Coupé '14: 2:22.176
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track '13: 2:24.196

DRIVER'S COMMENTS
Ahh yes, Germany VS South Korea... Unfortunately for Die Mannschaft, they were defeated in shame by the Ginger Popstars in the Group G matches, ending the former's road to World Cup victory. But for this week, we are comparing a small German coupe against South Korea's answer to Germany's sports coupes.

The Audi's quattro All Wheel Drive system (in reality a rebadged VW Group Haldex system due to the car's front transverse engine layout) is its weapon when it comes to standing starts and corner exits, as well as finding grip once the car breaks into a slide. Another advantage of using this car is its DSG paddle shift gearbox, which is useful for N class races with no tuning allowed. Unfortunately however, the car has a fair share of understeer due to said front transverse setup, making the car nose heavy, despite being lighter on paper than the Genesis. This car can potentially do high 2:21s to high 2:20s with the right driver around Maggiore Reverse, but for now, I've settled with a low 2:22.

The Genesis on the other hand is using the classic sports car formula; Front Engined, Rear Wheel Drive. It has more power than the TTS (343 HP VS 305 HP), but it's 390 lbs. heavier than said Audi. Plus, it has a Naturally Aspirated 3.8 litre V6, while the Audi uses a Turbocharged 2 litre Inline 4 (presumably a Volkswagen EA series unit). Being rear wheel drive, it will slide more as you expect it to be, although when you send it into a powerslide but then you lift off (or reduce the throttle input) mid-slide, it will understeer itself to safety. Ironically, despite being heavier on paper, the steering is actually lighter than the TTS thanks to it being not so nose heavy. Its H-gater Manual transmission is its weak point however if you decide to use this car into N class races with no tuning allowed. Other than that, it's a great all-round package. It can potentially do high 2:23s to high 2:22s with the right driver.

VERDICT
The TTS is a great car (and it's used to be the go-to car for N300 daily races back in the closed beta!) with its quattro AWD system helping you to find traction out of corners and standing starts. However, it is easy to push yourself way too hard to the point where you suddenly start to feel the understeer of this car. Fun fact, it's my starter car (in black, lap times are done in the red duplicate) when I first boot my full copy of GT SPORT!

The Genesis on the other hand is also a great car, but not to the scale of the TTS. While not really good for stock N class racing, its all round package of light steering feel and satisfying experience of being able to beat those Automatic AWD plebians with your H-gater RWD weekend machine makes it a surprise victory for the Genesis. Another fun fact is that when I first played the Closed Beta Test Version, the Gr.4 version of this car is one of my starter cars, with the others being a Lancer Evolution FE for N300 and a Corvette Gr.3 for, well you guessed it, Gr.3 races.

And so, my vote surprisingly goes to:
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track '13!

Before the Group matches
Germany: YOU CANNOT BEAT US.
After Germany beats Sweden
Germany: YOU CANNOT DEFEAT US!! WE ARE DIE MANNSCHAFT!
Germany gets beaten by Mexico and South Korea
Germany: NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!

TEST NOTES: Lap times are done using a DS4, Penalties set to Weak, Stock settings, Sports Softs, Default ABS, Brake Balance set to 0, and Traction Control is OFF.

EDIT NOTES: Lap times are now updated with ones during the same 15 lap Time Trial session, but with penalties set to Weak (shortcut and wall collisions), so the old lap times are invalid. Plus, music is added for a more enjoyable read.

Last edited:
And so, my vote surprisingly goes to: Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track '13!
I am expecting a full win from the Genesis this week. It will be (much) slower than the Audi TT, but it will win based on fun to drive. At least, that was my expectation. Damn F5 again.

Audi TTS Coupe '14
305 hp
281 ft-lbs
3,053 lbs (1,385 kg)

Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track '13
343 hp
292 ft-lbs
3,443 lbs (1,562 kg)

Audi is down by 38 horses and 11 ft-lbs of torque, but weighs 390 lbs less, or 177 kg. Rarely is a 4WD car so lightweight. The Genesis is extremely overweight for what it is. It's no wonder the Audi leaves the Hyundai in its dust.

At Tsukuba, the Audi finishes 2nd fastest out of all 19 N300 cars. The Hyundai? 13th.

1:04.835 - Audi TTS Coupe
1:06.985 - Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

Cars within 0.500 seconds of the Audi:

Chevrolet Camaro SS
Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Lexus RC F
Ferrari 512 BB
Lexus LC500
Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition

Cars within 0.500 seconds of the Hyundai:

Honda Civic Type R (FK2)
Toyota Supra RZ

I'm voting for the Audi on this. It's 4WD, light as hell, easy and fun to drive. The Genesis is overweight and slow by comparison. It's a modern Toyota Supra, while the Audi is...well, it's just better.

Last edited:
I will be abstaining from the time trial this week. I just don't agree with the track limit abuse that's already been made apparent here.

For the record, I usually find myself within 2-3 seconds of the fastest laps here. This time, I'm six seconds off the fastest driver so far. And someone has already said that a 2:20 is possible, which does not sit well with me. The only reason for the massive disparity in time is because I use the track limits - the white lines at the ends of the asphalt - as they should be used. The only exception I make to this is the bus stop at Dragon Trail because basically every single driver uses it and I have no other choice.

Just because the penalty system doesn't punish you for it doesn't mean that it's okay. After all, the penalty system is a program. It's fast, but it's stupid.

Anyways - getting to the cars themselves.

I didn't like the Genesis too much. It's good at medium and high speeds, but trying to round corners at low speeds is like trying to drive a poorly tuned Porsche. It was okay once I got the hang of it, but it was kind of a mess.

The Audi, on the other hand, was more composed and precise. It did what I asked it to do, and it did it well. It also accelerated and shifted better.

Obelisk votes for the Audi TT.

If you are 2/3 seconds off on a 1-1,5 minute track, it seems logical that you are 4/6 seconds off on a 2-2,5 min track. So I dont think that is a reason not to participate ?

And can you tell me more about the track limit abuse at Alsace ? I have not heard from it. I agree with you that the track limits are sometimes stupid in the game. Just always 2 wheels on track. Plain and simple.

What's happening with your F5 button??
I am refreshing this page way to often. Its an internet meme. F5 button is the refresh button. Something like the popcorn meme when a thread is going in the wrong direction.

If you are 2/3 seconds off on a 1-1,5 minute track, it seems logical that you are 4/6 seconds off on a 2-2,5 min track.
No, it's been pretty consistently 2-3 seconds off FL for me (at least from my time in the Forza COTW thread and in here IIRC). Last week, I was just about 3 seconds off, and Dragon Trail is a pretty long track. (3.2 miles). This week's TT track is 3.6 miles long. The lap time difference is down to the average speed of the pairs of cars (Gr. 3 cars vs road-legal cars). Theoretically, I should be closer in laptime with the slower cars since the gap wouldn't be as pronounced from car to car.

And can you tell me more about the track limit abuse at Alsace?
I think you have the wrong track. I was talking about Maggiore Reverse. Haven't heard about Alsace, though.

Oh sorry I was confused then. Dont know why I thought we were driving in Alsace. I know about the track abuse in Maggiore. Unbelievable how that corner is allowed to be cut with no penalty.

But @MrWaflz55 is the boss here. He can ask us not to cut the corners in any way. That is also the reason why the replays need to be uploaded. So he can check the track abuse. If @RZQSPEED was cutting that corner, his time will not be valid. Simple as that. So again, no reason for you not to participate !

Here is the rule he set out himself:
Absolutely positively no exploits or foul play during the time trials. If you are caught, you will be barred from doing any in the future.

Although I think he meant banned instead of barred. Putting someone in prison seems a bit too harsh.

I would really hate it you make that decision based on wrong information. Lets wait what @MrWaflz55 will say.

I will respect your decision of course. Just trying to convince you to come and join us this week.

We are driving Maggiore Reverse this week. A lap completed on that track without a penalty that is incurred is considered valid.
But then, the default setting for penalties are OFF after an update (before that, it's set to "Time Penalty (Weak),") although you can enable it in the Race Settings menu on the top bar during the pre-race screen.

But then, the default setting for penalties are OFF after an update (before that, it's set to "Time Penalty (Weak),") although you can enable it in the Race Settings menu on the top bar during the pre-race screen.

Oh, I was basically just rephrasing what I wrote in the OP. Since that's now outdated it seems, let's reiterate:

All laptimes must be set with time penalties on WEAK to be considered valid.

When I suggested we do Time Trials way back when in GT6, I figured it would be used as another fun thing for people to compare and contrast and help use in their own posts to decide which one deserves to win the vote. It kinda saddens me that we've gotten so competitive that we've stressed over what is valid and what isn't valid, and people straight up abstaining because people are "cheating".

Let's keep things civilized, alright? This is the second week in a row this sort of stuff has happened. I don't want people to throw a fit just because we revisited Lago Maggiore and there's one stupid corner that people lose their cookies over.

When I suggested we do Time Trials way back when in GT6, I figured it would be used as another fun thing for people to compare and contrast and help use in their own posts to decide which one deserves to win the vote. It kinda saddens me that we've gotten so competitive that we've stressed over what is valid and what isn't valid, and people straight up abstaining because people are "cheating".

Let's keep things civilized, alright? This is the second week in a row this sort of stuff has happened. I don't want people to throw a fit just because we revisited Lago Maggiore and there's one stupid corner that people lose their cookies over.
Yeah... we went too far with the competitiveness. After all, this game is called GT SPORT you know? :lol:

I will be abstaining from the time trial this week. I just don't agree with the track limit abuse that's already been made apparent here.

I wouldn't skip this because of track limitations.
I'm all for keeping two tires on the tarmac at all times even though the game allows you to get away with much more here.

It's all in fun that I do this so I agree to keep the two tire rule for this challenge this week if that will help.

I think friendly competition is just a part of this thread, but I don't like it that some people get upset because of this competition

I remember last time we had Maggiore, RINSKY I think proposed a gentleman's agreement to not cut the corner of each track and it worked out pretty well. Anyone up for this agreement? :)

Anyway, onto the actual review. I'm very unfamiliar with Maggiore reverse, and I find the corners very awkward to deal with so pardon me for my pedestrian time :lol:

TT-S: 2:23.719
Genesis: 2:26.606

Short answer: Who knew changing tire compounds would also change my answer?! Surprisingly, my pick for this week is the TT-S :D

Okay onto the Genesis first, save the best for last. The Genesis is a fun car. It's sporty and gives you quite some leeway for fun. Manual H-pattern shifters added into the mix and it really feels like a modern interpretation of the 90s. Ahhh yes, the 90s. The decade in which I will archetype as the golden age of sports cars because the divide between car classes, whether it be the hot hatch, the Grand Tourer, or a purebred sports car, is still muddy. Why am I telling you this? Setting aside the fact that rewatching Regular Car Reviews has influenced my own reviews, Because the Genesis doesn't know its center, and I love the car for that. It's sporty, it's fun, but you can also feel the body roll inherent in some cars that want to give you a luxurious ride. The H-pattern- yes, it's fun, but you can tell by the gear ratios that this car focuses more on mid-range power, the rev range you want to be sitting at on long road trips. The car tries to be as many things as possible, yet still fun. I love the car for that, because it gives me hope that I might experience what I thought I will never experience, since the 90s is the golden age in which I wasn't born early enough to witness in its full glory. If Hyundai, a car company not known for making sports cars, can make a car feel like this in a world with ever restrictive emissions and safety tests, then what does this imply for the future that lie ahead of us?

rip I think I've outdid myself in the Genesis review. Going into the TT-S, let's just say I have less than ideal expectations for this car. When I did the first test in SH tires, it felt heavy, imprecise, lairy. Not understeery, but lairy. There's a difference because with understeer, at least you know that you're pushing the limit of the car and that it can't keep itself together any longer. But by being lairy, it almost feels as if the car is discouraging me from going any faster, even if it can. But boy oh boy, I have no idea how turning the dial up by 2 in the tire department completely transforms this car. The heavy and imprecise nature of the car is gone, and is replaced with a never-ending neutral pull not unlike the Gr. 4 AWD cars. It's like the gift that never stops giving. No, it is the gift that never stops giving. You know how most automotive journalists would review hot hatches on the road and say "endless grip" and "neutral steering", despite the fact that they're driving at legal speeds and not even pushing the car near its limits? Yeah, the TT-S has endless grip and neutral steering. That's how good this car is, it makes you feel like you're in control of everything despite how hard you push
it. I admit, the TT-S is very tame compared to the relatively fun Genesis, and that it's very uncharacteristic of me to choose a tamer car over a diva, but c'mon, who can't say no to a gift that keeps on giving?

Last edited:
I remember last time we had Maggiore, RINSKY I think proposed a gentleman's agreement to not cut the corner of each track and it worked out pretty well. Anyone up for this agreement? :)

Anyway, onto the actual review. I'm very unfamiliar with Maggiore reverse, and I find the corners very awkward to deal with so pardon me for my pedestrian time :lol:

You absolutely know I'm down for the gentleman's agreement 👍 :)

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to this track in reverse. It is awkward and doesn't really have a good flow over all.

As I understand now with penalty set to “weak” we cannot cut the corner ? I would be more than happy with the simple rule that despite the penalty system 2 tyres always need to be on track. As it always should have been in this game (as in real life). So I am pretty much up with Rinsky’s suggestion here to agree this amongst the players.

Still I like this challenge not because of the time trial but because of all the reviews and the players winners choice. So based on that it doesnt really matter. Its about fun !

Personally I also hate Maggiore reverse. So am very curious how the cars will handle. I am surprised about the Audi TT doing so well. I have zero experience with the Audi so pretty anxious to see what I think.

To me, the numbers seemed to be in the Hyundai's favor. It's more powerful, it's a lot more free and unrestricted, at least that's what I thought. That would be the standard "moderately powerful FR sports car". The Audi TT always seemed to me like a typical numb FF car. Except this Audi happens to be 4WD, so there's still potential for numbness, but typically those are less restrictive than FF cars, but more grounded than FR cars. Let's see what happens.

Lago Maggiore II Trial:
Genesis - 2:30.015
TTS - 2:27.879

It's strangely amazing I think. The Genesis was a little more planted than I thought it'd be, but oh my god, the TT turns exactly when you want it to. I don't quite feel so bad that GT Sport has dumped like 5 million of them on me in the daily workout now. It was a little numb, like I said, but still, it finds a good balance between stability and responsiveness.

Audi wins it.

Latest Posts

Back