GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@MidFieldMaven: do you always do the time trial at different track ?
He is essentially doing most of his Time Trials around Suzuka East and Tsukuba, so he is obviously out of contention for the actual Time Trials, which currently is in Maggiore GP Reverse. But, if we visit those particular layouts, he is in as long as he has the replays or video footage to prove his lap time.

@MidFieldMaven: do you always do the time trial at different track ?

He does this for every car in the game at certain tracks in GTS. All the cars are completely stock and he puts down some fast lap times. @MidFieldMaven has his own thread and it's worth checking out.

He has been doing this for as long as I've known him in the game back on GT6. The Track then was Midfield Raceway.
He will post those times and findings in his review of the cars.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tsukuba-lap-times-for-83-n-category-cars.376925/

Lets see what this week will bring us. Because of the first posted times I noticed that the Hyundai was a lot slower so wanted to start with the slower car. When I praised the Hyundai I must say I have not driven the Audi.

This morning I tried one race A in sportmode with the Lamborghini and it was really afwull. They car has no steer input it seems. You just steer and nothing happens. Terrible. Never liked the Lambo. Getting behind the wheel of the Hyundai immediately put a big smile on my face since the car actually steers and does what you want when turning the wheel. Impressive ! Already beating a Lambo after 10 seconds of driving. Also the sound is pretty cool for a Hyundai.

The car is just fun to handle. It is a really easy car to drift. The backside just wants to play and with the gas you can precisely dose the drift angle. I can understand if people drive with TCS or other aids and dont like a weak rear end they will not know how good this car is. Just a brilliant car which easily could have been labeled a BMW. Also the brakes are perfect. For me still a winner. Mind you, have not tried the Audi yet.

Laptimes ? Terrible. I only have half an hour for this weeks report. Have never driven Maggio reverse so had absolutely no idea where the corners were going so spinning of all the time. Took some rounds to get a bit in controle and get under 2:30.

Was able to press out a terrible 2:27,364.

Now going to the Audi. Oh my god. You all should be ashamed. Maybe you are not driving with a wheel like me ? But how can anybody consider the Audi having more driving-fun is beyond me. Especially Alpha Cipher has disappointed me there. Very dull 4WD driving. Hate everything about it. Whilst the Hyundai is fun to drive, I fell asleep in my 3 laps with the Audi. Yes it is a little bit faster but my lord it is the King of dullness compared to the tailhappy fun to drive and precise to steer Hyundai. Trying to wake up again I luckily set a terrible time.

I was able to stay awake for 2:27,825.

But to me these pictures say it all. Both in their natural habitat, where they fit the most.

JUWe7rqW.jpeg

tKEwDgSb.jpeg

The clear winner of driving-fun is the Hyundai Genesis.

Last edited:
So, here I am back with this week's vote.

Setting used for the timed laps: G29 Wheel, SS tires, no aids (No CSA this time @Macboyilija) except for Default ABS. Brake balance on +2 for the Genesis and +3 for the TT

The times (Lap replays uploaded immediately this time as well):
Audi TTS: 2:21:774
Hyundai Genesis: 2:24:059 (with H-shifter and manual clutch)

Very surprised by the Audi lap myself considering I didn't spend that much time on track this week with the cars, nothing compared to last week surely. I probably only had 8/10 laps in each car.

Still, I gotta say I didn't really enjoy either of the two. I really didn't like the track, probably the worst reverse layout I've tried, and trust me, DT Seaside and Kyoto Yamagiwa aren't fun in reverse either, but this one is really bad. Shame, because the regular Maggiore is fantastic.
But still, returning to the cars, the TT is surely stable as hell, a bit understeery (but I've seen worse) but it really has nothing particular going for it. It does get boring quickly, would definitely suggest it for a newbie driver.
On the other hand the Hyundai may be a little bit more fun due to being RWD, but 2 things in particular made me hate it: the first one being the gearbox: why the hell does a supposedly track ready car have such a slow gearbox? Is it really that slow IRL? It reminded me of this:

(0:43 to 1:14).
The second one was the fact that the car felt so heavy; I know it is already 1.5 tonnes which is a lot but it seriously felt like throwing the weight of a lorry around corners, and it has such a strange/heavy weight transfer dynamic as well, the suspension feels too soft.

So, after all of this, if I have to choose my winner, it's gonna be the Audi TTS because it was faster around the track and because it has a pop up spoiler (which, everyone knows, is the most important part of a modern sports car).

EDIT: returned on track with my h-shifter as @Macboyilija suggested and the Genesis’ gearbox is indeed a lot better. I gained 1.5 seconds on the straights just by using it. Still not the best gearbox in the world, but at least acceptable for a “Track edition” manual.
Got a better lap with the TT as well thanks to the experience.

Last edited:
@Rinsky @RZQSPEED @MidFieldMaven: thanks for explanation about the hotlaps ! Nice thread indeed.

why the hell does a supposedly track ready car have such a slow gearbox?
Well, the point is to use a shifter ! With my manual shifter it is fast shifting so its all programming by PD. Good to see they did not kill all cars with manual gears (see thread about this subject).

I really didn't like the track, probably the worst reverse layout I've tried, and trust me, DT Seaside and Kyoto Yamagiwa aren't fun in reverse either, but this one is really bad. Shame, because the regular Maggiore is fantastic.
Cannot agree more. The normal one is a 9/10. The reverse is a 2/10 for me.

No CSA this time @Macboyilija
Like a boss ! I really need to start experimenting with brake balance. Never tried it !

I've had my times trials done now for a few day but everytime I log on the damn server is down and I can't upload them. I will try again today when I get out if work.
But I can and will post my review before then.

Hopefully I will get to this today. Isn't adjusting the brake balance considered tuning? When I read "no tuning" I considered that to mean no adjustments other than the specified tires if needed. Doesn't really matter to me, I participate here just for fun, I don't have the time to worry about whether I am faster than the rest of you.

The easiest way to do this is to just go to every category in the car settings menu and hit "default" on every one. If you watch my videos when I do these duels, I quickly run through the setting sheet for each car before I run them, and hit default on everything except traction control. That's what I consider to be running stock.

Let's start off with the Hyundai Genesis track Edition.

First impression is this car should not have the words Track Edition anywhere near it. What a underwhelming slow piece of poo this car is. I actually believe a golf cart would be faster than this thing.
On paper it looks good and has you believing that it should perform well but looks are deceiving in this case.

This week we are on SS tires and with that extra grip you would think this car would handle great.. wrong again.. The car feels like your driving around in a 4500lbs steel box. Absolutely nothing about this car is worth putting it on the track.
Probably the most irritating thing I've found about this car is its take off power from slow starts or corners. Its so slow and struggles to get any momentum going, it sounds just as slow as it is and yet it lights up those rear tires like you just feed the motor a whole bottle of NOS. I really believe you could walk faster than this thing.

So why Hyundai attach the words Track Edition to this car is quite baffling as it should never be used for anything other than grocery runs.

Genesis Time
2:27.567

Audi TT

On paper this car looks underwhelming compared to the Hyundai but on the track this thing outperforms it's competition this week in every single way imaginable.

Better acceleration, better handling, better performance, better sound, Oh yeah it's just better.
The Audi stays planted to to tarmac do to its AWD system. It's easy to flick around corners and has enough acceleration to get going again quickly. Like most AWD cars it has that annoying understeer but it didn't become a problem in this challenge because it's competition was so horrible.

Audi Time
2:25.159

In my time trials the Audi only beat the Hyundai by 2 seconds but that had more to do with the reverse layout than it did with the cars themselves. The reverse layout just didn't have a good flow for my driving style.
Doing the same track but the forward layout I was able to gap the Hyundai buy even more. 4sec

This week the Audi easily takes the win in every category and gets my Votes.

Well, the point is to use a shifter ! With my manual shifter it is fast shifting so its all programming by PD. Good to see they did not kill all cars with manual gears (see thread about this subject).

Didn’t even cross my mind to try the shifter, I even saw that thread... If I can find my shifter I might put it on and try again

Hopefully I will get to this today. Isn't adjusting the brake balance considered tuning? When I read "no tuning" I considered that to mean no adjustments other than the specified tires if needed. Doesn't really matter to me, I participate here just for fun, I don't have the time to worry about whether I am faster than the rest of you.

First, the reverse layout of this track is not familiar to me at all - literally had to think about it in reverse when anticipating turns, braking,, etc. My results were:
TTS Coupe - 2:29.237
Genesis - 2:31.216

I did the TTS first - 10 laps. It was more predictable than the Genesis, and I probably should have gone back after the Genesis with ten more laps of experience, I'm sure I could do better. I ran the TTS with no traction control.

The Genesis seemed better at acceleration, but drifted very easily, which was fun, but wasted time. I went back for a few laps with TC at 1 and shaved .600 off the track record. Still drifted a bit, setting tc = 2 would probably be more crippling than helpful.

My vote goes to the Audi - faster lap time, more predictable, I'm sure I could get at least another second off my time with more familiarity with the track.

First, the reverse layout of this track is not familiar to me at all - literally had to think about it in reverse when anticipating turns, braking,, etc
I think this valids for many of us. Exactly how I experienced it. But even thinking in reverse did not help much. Really had trouble getting under that 2:30.

should have gone back after the Genesis with ten more laps of experience, I'm sure I could do better.
I would like to see how you do. Just out of curiosity.

The Genesis seemed better at acceleration, but drifted very easily, which was fun, but wasted time.
There is a time trial here. But the main goal of the weeklys was comparing the cars in whatever you think is important. Speaking of driving fun, you agree that the Hyundai is pretty much fun to drive and drift. Drifting is always useless.

I was curious if more people would find the Hyundai surprisingly fun to drive so thats why I proposed this weekly. Nice to see that it did ! I do think these differences in opinions may also be connected whether people are driving with wheels or with controler.

This weekly is exactly the reason why I started to love these challenges. The more people the more opinions. This week some opinions could not be set further apart. Which is nice to read !

Always same opinions and winners are boring. Based on all your positive words I will give the Audi TT a new chance and try to find out why its so good. But I could not set that big of a time difference between them.

Maybe I was mentally to biased ? So curious if @dnlnnhs could set a closer time for the Genesis to that of the Audi.

What was your old time exactly ?

2:25:9 if I recall correctly, you can still find it in game with the tags.
I said I gained 1.5 secs as I scraped half a sec off the TT laptime as well so I think the genesis one also would have been better anyway, just not that much obviously

Will ask again if it would be possible to change the weekly into 2-weekly ? I can understand if the people who organise this have no time. We all have busy scheduals of course.

But the point is there is a time trial in here as well. I did not know the track. First time. Was the weekend away, so only had time until friday. So spend bit less than an hour doing the full competition.

If I knew the competition would last a couple of days longer, I would make some more laps yesterday or today.

Based on that, maybe it would be a better idea to change it in a way that we all can be sure how long the competition really is ?

Again, not being negative here. I am sure we can all relate to not having the time for this game or forum as expected. But some basic structure would be welcome.

Last edited:
How much time do you actually need in the cars though? I do 10 laps in each, that’s enough to get a feel for the car, I’ll do more if I feel I’m missing a lot of time somewhere but I won’t record that time as my result.

That’s 20-25 minutes each car. These competitions often run over, just look at the PMC, people are busy! If you want more time trials post a weekly challenge for other GTP members to try and beat you.

How much time do you actually need in the cars though? I do 10 laps in each, that’s enough to get a feel for the car, I’ll do more if I feel I’m missing a lot of time somewhere but I won’t record that time as my result.

That’s 20-25 minutes each car. These competitions often run over, just look at the PMC, people are busy! If you want more time trials post a weekly challenge for other GTP members to try and beat you.
For me I just keep restarting until I'm satisfied :lol::lol::lol:

Each session takes around 10-15 minutes until I'm satisfied, except for the Ferrari GT3. That took me an hour :lol:

I am not that good ThePhantomAli. One hour is mostly what I need for driving and reporting and some pictures. When I dont know the track completely of course a bit more time is needed.

I dont see what this has to do with the schedual tbh. Was just pointing out an example.

I have no interest in time trials really. I did not realise it was about the time trials as well untill someone mentioned it later. I thought it was only about the weekly and picking a winner. Thats what I’m here for and reading why one prefers one car over the other. I dont think this competition is really considered as a real timetrial.

But I love reading the reports and also the conclusions of mrWafflz.

First, the reverse layout of this track is not familiar to me at all - literally had to think about it in reverse when anticipating turns, braking,, etc. My results were:
TTS Coupe - 2:29.237
Genesis - 2:31.216

I did the TTS first - 10 laps. It was more predictable than the Genesis, and I probably should have gone back after the Genesis with ten more laps of experience, I'm sure I could do better. I ran the TTS with no traction control.

The Genesis seemed better at acceleration, but drifted very easily, which was fun, but wasted time. I went back for a few laps with TC at 1 and shaved .600 off the track record. Still drifted a bit, setting tc = 2 would probably be more crippling than helpful.

My vote goes to the Audi - faster lap time, more predictable, I'm sure I could get at least another second off my time with more familiarity with the track.

Re-ran with the TTS. Turned 2:26.487 wiih it this time. Expected to shave a second or so. Pleased with the nearly 3 second improvement.

Our Fearless Leader has come down with the flu, which means his relief is gonna have to step in to show off which one wins it for this week.
And so, my vote surprisingly goes to:
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track '13!​

I'm voting for the Audi on this.

Obelisk votes for the Audi TT.

Surprisingly, my pick for this week is the TT-S :D

The clear winner of driving-fun is the Hyundai Genesis.

So, after all of this, if I have to choose my winner, it's gonna be the Audi TTS because it was faster around the track and because it has a pop up spoiler (which, everyone knows, is the most important part of a modern sports car).

This week the Audi easily takes the win in every category and gets my Votes.

ThrasherDBS
Audi wins it.
Genesis: 2
TTS: 7

THIS WEEK'S WINNER IS:
3210478-8750729941-Nw94d.png

Audi TTS Coupe '14!
What a landslide! I thought people would gravitate more towards the Hyundai but I guess not!​

All controversy over times aside, how did everyone else fare?​

Last edited:
GT Sport Time Trial of the Week 12 - Results from Lago Maggiore II

latest

One lovely corner makes everyone flip their... well, technically the word violates the AUP but you get the idea. Let's just see how everyone made out.

2013_hyundai_genesis_cpe_01-711x400-740x480.jpg

Hyundai Genesis
1st. @AlexLion - 2:24.059
2nd. @RZQSPEED - 2:24.196
3rd. @Alpha Cipher - 2:26.606
4th. @Macboyilija - 2:27.364
5th. @Rinsky - 2:27.567
6th. Me - 2:30.015
7th. @dnlnnhs - 2:31.216

AlexLion wins it for the Hyundai, does he repeat it for the Audi?

620x349

Audi TTS
1st. @AlexLion - 2:21.774
2nd. @RZQSPEED - 2:22.176
3rd. @Alpha Cipher - 2:23.719
4th. @Rinsky - 2:25.159
5th. @dnlnnhs - 2:26.487
6th. @Macboyilija - 2:27.825
7th. Me - 2:27.879

Survey says... yup he sure did.

Let's get next week started, shall we?​

Last edited: