GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GT Sport Time Trial of the Week #6 - Mountain of Panoramas

1200px-Mount_Panorama_street_racing_circuit_in_Australia.svg.png

This week is a time trial on the famous Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit, located in Australia. This picturesque track features a view of the town from the top of the hill, and fully 3D-rendered kangaroos. Feel free to hunt for them while putting down some lap times. Luckily, since you're driving 4WD cars, you shouldn't struggle too much to put the power down in the slow corners coming downhill. Good luck on this longer track and be careful to avoid understeer near the walls.

Mission Panorameters

Tags: gtsduel, dotw006
Tuning: Nu-uh.
Tire Compound: Racing Medium
Due Date: May 21st, 2018 please.

Have fun, watch the wall, don't get your time invalidated and I'll see you next week with another duel!​

My initial testing on this track tells me the Veyron is the more agile and capable of the two. I vote Veyron.

I might be able to put some laps down before I go away today so we’ll see, I can imagine the agenda would be quicker getting onto the straight but the Veyron should cross the line first. Interesting one this week.

Here's the summary

LAPTIMES (9 LAPS)

Mazda Atenza Gr.4: 2:13.864
Bugatti Veyron Gr.4: 2:13.788

DRIVER'S COMMENTS

The Mazda feels good through the corners due to the lighter weight of the car compared to the Bugatti. Despite having less power, the Atenza achieves similar top speeds with the Veyron, due to similar Power/Weight ratio of both cars.

On the other hand, the Veyron accelerates faster than the Atenza thanks to having one extra gear allowing it to have shorter ratios while achieving a slightly higher top speed from the exit of Forrest's Elbow to the 100m marker board at The Chase (162 MPH VS The Atenza's 160 MPH). While the Veyron has it's own understeer issues because of the weight of the car (mind you that this car weighs 3638 lbs VS the Atenza's 3042 lbs weight), you can tap the brakes so that the weight shifts slightly more towards the front, allowing the car to slide to the corners mainly for better turn-in. The car can exhibit oversteer as well due to mainly the classified torque distribution that is made to send more power to the rear wheels.

VERDICT
Overall, while the Veyron is faster through the track, the Atenza is a better all-rounder, especially with BoP turned on, which the car gets a 5% power boost (the Veyron, IIRC, also has a 5% power boost without any weight changes as well for it's BoP)

THE VOTE GOES TO:
Mazda Atenza Gr.4

I have to say this sounds as so much fun. You present it in a really cool way. And your effort put into it should be valued so I would like to thank you for it !

Too bad I have not participated yet. I trully feel you deserve more than only 5 competitors. So I will be joining as from this week. In the beginning I did not know exactly what it was, but now reading all and having missed some great challenges I am joining you !

As Rinsky I do like the N-class a lot so I hope you have some nice surprises left. Maybe will also try the other weeks you have created. Although I am aware that they dont count anymore.

@MrWaflz55
I understand the tags #gtsduel and #dotw006. In the description do I need to add my GTplanet nick and the tyre compound and track as well ? Or did I misunderstood that ?

One more question. My tires are written in Dutch. Dont know exactly what medium is:

Race hard
Race normal (=medium?)
Race soft
Race supersoft
Race intermediate
Race raintire

Last edited:
Don't have a lot of time to do a detailed thing, so anyway, it's really ridiculous that these two are in the same class with each other. Much like what would happen if the two base models of these cars were pit together, the results are more or less the same, just not as pronounced.

Mount Panorama Trial:
Veyron Gr.4 - 2:16.139
Atenza Gr.4 - 2:17.272

Veyron wins it.

Anybody care to answer my questions so I can start the duel ?

In the description of the post, be sure to include the time of your lap, your GTPlanet name and the tire compound of the week.
Found this already so all clear just the tires.

Last edited:
Thanks. I just saw your post so no time left to drive again. So I have only done the timing from last week (luckily with the medium tires). Because I dont know the track that well I still have time to improve. So i did not save the replay last week because I thought would be driving more this week. Since I already am slower than RZQSPEED for this week I just made a screenshot. Next week the replay will be there.

Atenza Gr 4: 2:15,332
Veyron Gr 4: 2:15,937

When I drove them both there was not that big of a difference. You can easily see how the Veyron is much heavier but the brakes are so wonderful you dont miss those extra kilo’s. The turn in is quite impressive but thats probably because of the weight distribution. Top speed is a little higher on the straight. I do not like the digital dashcamera, it is pretty annoying actually. Disturbs my view.

Overall I like the Atenza much more. It feels easier on the wheel and corrections seem to be more communicative than the Veyron. Also I felt it was easier to drive fast instantly. The fast time was pretty easy to do whilst with the Veyron I needed to learn a little more about the car before setting that time.

I do think when I would have had more time the times would be better for the Veyron. It needs more time to get used to that turn in so surely I can win some extra time. Also with the Atenza I can set a better time but not as much as the Veyron. But this duel was not about the timing right ?

So for me the winner is the Atenza !

XXpFwGhZ.jpeg

Last edited:
I have my replays saved and will load them up in the morning but I couldn't match @RZQSPEED this week and it should be a very close battle between me and @Macboyilija
I just don't remember the exact times right now and Im at work.

I think @MrWaflz55 is a little bit busy. Can I assume that the due date is a little bit later and I am allowed only this week to add my replays tomorrow with better times ? Anyone has anything against that ?

It ends whenever he makes his "okay folks, time to tally everything up" post. The "week" thing tends to be an artifact word in the title of this thread because a lot of us tend to get busy.

It ends whenever he makes his "okay folks, time to tally everything up" post. The "week" thing tends to be an artifact word in the title of this thread because a lot of us tend to get busy.

I’ll second this by mentioning that I’m extremely busy right now. These last three days at the start of the week have almost been hell on earth for me in terms of priorities. Sorry for keeping you guys in the dark. I’d totally update this stuff right now but it’s impossible to multi-quote on a mobile device so it’ll have to wait for tonight.

I must have skipped over your tiny post because it was at the start of the week and it was so small. I don’t exactly know what to do now since it’s a tie. I can’t exactly test this stuff right now. Anyways, it’s also impossible to edit posts with quotes on mobile too.

Looks like we’re waiting even longer.

Last edited:
Maybe @Obelisk can write a review why he chose the Veyron and what his times were ?

I think the winner when tied should be the car with the fastest times ? So not necessary to pick the car that was faster, but with a tie, the winner goes to the car with the fastest times. So for RZQSPEED and Rinsky who chose the Atenza, but in fact the Veyron was quicker, so the Veyron wins.

Is that an idea or am I just being over-enthusiastic about these duels :)

Last edited:
Maybe @Obelisk can write a review why he chose the Veyron and what his times were ?

I think the winner when tied should be the car with the fastest times ? So not necessary to pick the car that was faster, but with a tie, the winner goes to the car with the fastest times. So for RZQSPEED and Rinsky who chose the Atenza, but in fact the Veyron was quicker, so the Veyron wins.

Is that an idea or am I just being over-enthusiastic about these duels :)

My reason for choosing the Atenza over the Veyron was that it handled better and for overall racing the Atenza would be the better option in a race league.
Clearly the Veyron was the dominant car for this week's challenge & this track.
In a tie breaker the car with the best overall time seems to be a fair way to pick a winner if you want another option on this.

I apparently had some tech difficulties getting my vote in. I was about a half second faster with the Veryon, but I enjoyed driving the Atenza more. I think the Atenza has more potential with tuning than the Veryon. For this track, and car choices, and no tuning, the Veryon wins for me.

For me, the Veyron has always been the much more appealing car. Not only is it crazy weird, it's also not too shabby either. I must prefer the engine in the back because I don't think it handles that bad at all! It's also faster than the Atenza in a straight line. While the cornering speeds aren't up to par with the Mazda it's still decent for a Gr.4 car to be competitive. For these reasons I vote for the Veyron.

I vote Veyron.

THE VOTE GOES TO:
Mazda Atenza Gr.4

Veyron wins it

So for me the winner is the Atenza

My reason for choosing the Atenza over the Veyron was that it handled better and for overall racing the Atenza would be the better option in a race league.

I was about a half second faster with the Veryon, but I enjoyed driving the Atenza more. I think the Atenza has more potential with tuning than the Veryon. For this track, and car choices, and no tuning, the Veryon wins for me.

Alright, let's count up the votes a second time, remember I voted for the Veyron previously.

Atenza: 3
Veyron: 4

That means the winner of last week was the...

5908793151275927056_0.jpg

...Bugatti Veyron Gr.4!

Now we can finally get the ball rolling with week 7, it's going to be a good one!​

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week #6 - Results from Bathurst

AUS%20Bathurst%20alt.gif

This week featured two cars with some pretty strange differences, yet brought together to duel because of their classification. Can the family sedan beat the hypercar, or the other way around? Let's find out in the time trial results...

atenza_gr4.jpg

Mazda Atenza Gr.4

@RZQSPEED - 2:13.864
@Rinsky - 2:14.352
@Macboyilija - 2:15.301
@ThrasherDBS - 2:17.272

RZQSPEED posts our fastest time in the family sedan, let's see how people did with the Hypercar Veyron!

gts_car_090.jpg

Bugatti Veyron Gr.4

@RZQSPEED - 2:13.788
@Macboyilija - 2:15.464
@Rinsky - 2:15.560
@ThrasherDBS - 2:16.139

RZQSPEED Takes our pole position with the Veyron as well. Since they're 4WD they must handle pretty similarly. Also note that Macboy and Rinsky were pretty close, both posting a 2:15.​

GT Sport Duel of the Week #7 - Ya Boi Broke

Not everyone has the money to buy their way into high-level GT racing. Some people are stuck at the grassroots with nothing but their ~200HP sports car that came from the 90s. Speaking of which, we've had a pretty popular one in this game ever since a recent update. These two cars are both from Toyota and were popular in their respective eras as an entry-level sports car. They aren't quite on the level of Porsches or Nissan Z-cars, but they have loyal followings none-the-less. Introducing the...

8079462129634148380_0.jpg

...Toyota MR2 GT-S!

against the

8070464834505803284_0.jpg

...Toyota GT-86!

I wonder if the new-school has what it takes to beat the old mentor. Let's see what Toyota has learned about building sports cars in the past 25 years! If there's one thing that's for sure, it's that this week'll be a legendary sibling rivalry!​

GT Sport Duel of the Week #7 - Ya Boi Broke

Not everyone has the money to buy their way into high-level GT racing. Some people are stuck at the grassroots with nothing but their ~200HP sports car that came from the 90s. Speaking of which, we've had a pretty popular one in this game ever since a recent update. These two cars are both from Toyota and were popular in their respective eras as an entry-level sports car. They aren't quite on the level of Porsches or Nissan Z-cars, but they have loyal followings none-the-less. Introducing the...

View attachment 739040

...Toyota MR2 GT-S!

against the

View attachment 739039

...Toyota GT-86!

I wonder if the new-school has what it takes to beat the old mentor. Let's see what Toyota has learned about building sports cars in the past 25 years! If there's one thing that's for sure, it's that this week'll be a legendary sibling rivalry!​
Ohoho nice choices! Might participate in this one :D

I'll add a personal challenge and set my times with a shifter! That means some heel-and-toe stuff as well :)

Toyota MR2 GT-S
243 hp
224 ft-lbs
2,800 lbs (1,270 kg)

Toyota 86 GT
198 hp
151 ft-lbs
2,712 lbs (1,230 kg)

At Tsukuba on Sport Hard tires:

1:07.708 - Toyota MR2 GT-S
1:09.865 - Toyota 86 GT

Difference of 2.157 seconds in the MR's favor.

At Suzuka East on Sport Hard tires:

1:00.774 - Toyota MR2 GT-S
1:02.383 - Toyota 86 GT

Less of a difference here, but a still significant 1.609 second split.

I'd put the SW20 MR2 in my garage over the 86 any day of the week. There's a JDM one for sale in Virginia at my favorite importer of 25+ year old cars, Japanese Classics. Check out this beauty: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-toyota-mr2-gt-sw20/

This duel is great wooow ! When will the track be announced ? I hope it will be Tsukuba or Maggiore center.

Have some bad news: kidneystones (is that correct English) so sitting in the PlaySeat is not easy. Hope they will vanish soon.......

So hope @MrWaflz55 will be busy this week as well so I can recover ;)

Back