GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GT Sport Duel of the Week 12 - Bond Chase! Jag Vs. Aston
Aston Martin has long been the hero car of Bond films, and if the Aston Martin has ever had a consistent rival, it'd have to be the Jags. This week, we have...

Gran-Turismo-Sport-Jaguar-F-Type-01-800x450.png

The 2014 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

and then the newest Bond car itself...

Wheelsandmore-Aston-Martin-DB11-3.jpg

The 2016 Aston Martin DB11

We'll see where our roads take us this week.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week 12 - Tokyo Chase (East Outer Loop)

latest

Duel Settings:
Tags:

gtsduel, dotw012, gtplanet

Tire Compound: Sports Hard
Tuning: Spy cars may have added bells and whistles, but the cars you're driving better not. Keep it stock
Due Date: Ehh... maybe July 29th or 30th?
Doesn't it seem appropriate that a city course would be a proper venue for two spy-car sports cars to duke it out to see which one is faster? Plenty of space to make it unwind, but enough curves to really test out how they'll behave.

I'm aware that some might not like this course because of the cheaters who wallride on this track in regular lobbies. Therefore, I am reinforcing the "show video proof" rule in this particular duel. We all are playing this on PS4s. We can all livestream. We can all record gameplay footage, so we should be able to show proof of our times. No games. No trickery. And hopefully as a result, no bloody complaining. Let's keep this civilized, yeah? Just don't use an exploit. The whole point of time trials is to just provide another metric to judge the cars on. Reminder that you don't win anything in game for being the "fastest" of us, so just have fun, alright?​

Where does @Alpha Cipher stack up?
I shall serve as the bridge between the aliens and the people, for I am...

The French bridge that PD has teased a while ago!!!
GT Sport Duel of the Week 12 - Bond Chase! Jag Vs. Aston
Aston Martin has long been the hero car of Bond films, and if the Aston Martin has ever had a consistent rival, it'd have to be the Jags. This week, we have...

Gran-Turismo-Sport-Jaguar-F-Type-01-800x450.png

The 2014 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

and then the newest Bond car itself...

Wheelsandmore-Aston-Martin-DB11-3.jpg

The 2016 Aston Martin DB11

We'll see where our roads take us this week.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week 12 - Tokyo Chase (East Outer Loop)

latest

Doesn't it seem appropriate that a city course would be a proper venue for two spy-car sports cars to duke it out to see which one is faster? Plenty of space to make it unwind, but enough curves to really test out how they'll behave.

I'm aware that some might not like this course because of the cheaters who wallride on this track in regular lobbies. Therefore, I am reinforcing the "show video proof" rule in this particular duel. We all are playing this on PS4s. We can all livestream. We can all record gameplay footage, so we should be able to show proof of our times. No games. No trickery. And hopefully as a result, no bloody complaining. Let's keep this civilized, yeah? Just don't use an exploit. The whole point of time trials is to just provide another metric to judge the cars on. Reminder that you don't win anything in game for being the "fastest" of us, so just have fun, alright?​
Ooooh another interesting selection! Gonna run this instead of the FiA races :)

Incidentally, @terrordog1490 and I have been using the reverse layout (Inner) for a lot of class-building for a sort of street racing class in-game. It's quite a fun track. I've gotta grind for the DB11 first but I should have some stuff later tonight or tomorrow.

I’m going on holiday tomorrow so I won’t be able to try the cars for a while. However I would still like to partecipate by voting, and this week my vote goes to the Jag mainly because I’m not really a fan of the Aston’s looks, especially the back. It looks a bit too German (more Top Gear references come to mind). Oh, and from what I can remember the Jag is a blast to throw around high speed corners.

Here are the results for this mission.

LAP TIMES (25 mins)

Deckard Shaw: 2:15.492
James Bond: 2:13.688

DRIVER'S COMMENTS
Our selection for this week's duel consists of spy cars in their stock forms. This Time Trial is set at night on Tokyo Expressway East Outer Loop. Both cars have six usable gears with 7th and 8th being Eco gears meant for cruising only.

The Jaguar is a pretty nice car to be consistent with. It appears that the car is pretty stable and predictable, and its V8 purrs nicely with some roar. However, like several N class cars, it can be a little bit fishy, especially during the high speed flowing section of the East Loop. The lack of power can hamper its straight line speed, though. You should be able to get 2:15s to 2:14s on this track.

Hopping into the DB11 though and it has a much better straightline speed, but its handling can be a bit sketchy with Sports Hard tires and stock settings. Its turbocharged V12 engine will sing and spool around the East Loop in a commanding fashion, alongside its beautiful lines and curves (even its Aeroblade spoiler preserves the lines pretty well!) Lap times can range from 2:13s to 2:12s.

VERDICT
It's a really hard decision, as both of the cars are bought just for this week's duel, but I would say that my heart goes to the DB11 with its beatiful lines and curves and a singing V12 with spools added for extra instrumentation, even if it's a rather sketchy car to push hard with.

And my vote for this week's mission comes to:
Aston Martin DB11 '16

I am Bond, James Bond

TEST NOTES: Laps are done in the nighttime setting without wallriding, penalties are set to "Weak", TCS OFF, BBal at 0, no CSA, Sports Hard tires and stock settings.

Last edited:
How'd you get a 2:15 and a 2:13? What parts of the track are you finding that time on? I can't get past a 17 and a 15 and I'd like to improve the laps before the duel concludes.

I'm in the same situation. Most of mine is due to using automatic transmission. I lose a lot of time to the people who use a manual when we are on SH tires but not when we run SS tires.
Even on SH I can almost always say around a second from the leaders so I'm losing time elsewhere too.

How'd you get a 2:15 and a 2:13? What parts of the track are you finding that time on? I can't get past a 17 and a 15 and I'd like to improve the laps before the duel concludes.
You need to hook up the flowing sections at a high rate of speed without resorting to use walls, and be mindful of the oversteer!

Then there is the final hairpin leading onto the massive straight to where a late apex can give you better speed into said straight.

Rinsky's post should reveal other problems. (though he's using an Automatic transmission, just like my early days with GT SPORT)

Then there is the final hairpin leading onto the massive straight to where a late apex can give you better speed into said straight.
Probably that hairpin. On a good run, I'm linking the sweepers at 130, 125, 100 (for exit speed at the S chicane) 110, 110 in the DB11.

...If you know what i'm babbling about.

Ok, well my times are no where near these times - but I do use controller and automatic tranny, and limit myself to 10 laps per vehicle. So, considering all these excuses - my vote goes to the Jag.

Jag - 2:21.020
Aston - 2:21.487

I actually wanted the Aston to be the better car - but I could control the Jag much better (all aids off except ABS-Default). Each car had a loose back end, but the Jag got back inline with a little release of the accelerator, the Aston took a little more wrestling to stay away from the walls.

Got some time to do this weeks Challenge. Seemed a nice one with the two English Bond cars. I agree mostly with @dnlnnhs with his remarks. I have put them on paper more deeply. Off course as always with wheel and no aids except ABS. It was a bit difficult for me to get serious cause the Jag is such a fun car to play around with.

Eventually I managed to do some laps. I dont know the track that good but noticed quite early if you want to have competitive times you need to stay close to the inner walls to come out the corners fast. So you need to “steer in” the long corners way before your brain tells you to start turning.

The Jag is a pretty heavy car which you notice mostly with braking. You feel the heavy weight but it doesnt brake as terrible as I would expected. The car handles amazing and I love playing and drifting the car around this track. Especially high speed drifting is pretty easy as you can controle the car alsmost only with the gas pedal. Topspeed around 308km/h before braking.

I dont think the Aston can be such a joy to drive as the Jaguar.

I pretty easy got a 2:16,503.

So lets step into the Aston. Did not have the car so needed to spend some hard earned money on it. Was it worth it ? Oh yes ! Loading the track you can see that British Racing Green color along with the beautiful brown leather and stitches. What a car and what a combo. When the engine started, my god what a sound ! That engine just sounds like perfection. Very racy yet still very gentleman styled. The car easily wins on its beauty.

But how does it drive ? Is it as good as the Jag and more important, is it as good as it looks itself ? You wont win on the looks. Pretty much distracted when driving the laps because of its beautiful brown leather interior and dashboard, cant stop looking at it. Focus !

And gents, it does hold up to its beauty. As it seems in the beginning. The car instantly feels at least as good as the Jag. The steering feels way lighter and more direct. Braking also seems a tad bit easier. When drifting you would not expect this to be good. But come on this is some real drift angle !

You can drift the car almost as good as the Jag, but its a little less playfull and better suited for a quicker laptime. You can notice that at the straight right away where it easily pulls a 315km/h top speed where as the Jag could not go faster than 307km/h. But then you notice that braking from high speed its not better than the Jag. Later on I found out this is due to the tyres. The sport hard tyres have more problems with the Aston than the Jag. So its not the brakes that are the problem, but the combo with the tyres and mostly at high speed.

Then when entering the bigger corners you notice that the car is also less controlable than you initially thought. This has to do with the fact that these corners because of the input steering along the walls requires perfect gas controle. I told you I can controle the Jaguar only with the gaspedal. The Aston requires a bit more care because when you step on the gas the power output is a lot bigger and therefore the car is a bit harder to balance. Balancing the Jag is quite easy. With the Aston you need more concentration and throttle controle. Another problem is when hotlapping you can do round after round after round in the Jag. The Aston has much more difficulties keeping grip with the sport hard tyres.

So even when it seemed better the first meters, in the end its not as easy to drive and have fun with as the Jag. Even though its quicker it means its much harder to get a proper time.

I pulled off a 2:15,309

Jaguar F-type: 2:16,503
Aston DB11: 2:15,309

So in the end, as much as I like the Aston, the Jag is the true winner for me.

GOYS6EmI.jpeg

Last edited:
I will not be able to submit my laptimes this week, unfortunately. Going away on a trip unti Tuesday.

I'm deep into the whole moving thing, so I'll keep it short.

Tokyo Expressway Trial:
Jaguar F-Type R Coupe '14 - 2:21.851
Aston Martin DB11 '16 - 2:18.934

Did my actual runs about a week ago, and haven't gotten around to doing a writeup so basically DB11 wins because it feels a lot more planted.

Things are going to be dark for me in the next week or so (we're transferring internet to the new place and that takes about a week with our ISP), so I won't be around for the next duel I think. Then again, with our schedule, I might be able to. I'm sure.

Tsukuba, Sport Hard tires.

1:02.903 - Aston Martin DB11
1:03.448 - Jaguar F-type R Coupe

The DB11 is only a half second quicker. It has a 205cc bigger engine, good for 57 more horsepower and 16 more ft-lbs of torque than the Jag. It's also 264 lbs heavier, which explains why some people find it to be more planted/stable. I just plain like Aston more than Jaguar, so the DB11 gets my vote.

Hey guys, welcome back to the thread. That was a pretty crazy update we just got and I've been very busy thrashing the Ford GT LM around "Saint Crocks" for a couple hours now. Fear not, the Ford GT will feature soon on this thread, but in the meantime we should wrap up this last duel.

The Aston Martin DB11 is quite the striking car to look at. The lines on it are more modern than the Jag, and I prefer that to be honest. The Jaguar is a good looking car for sure, but the DB11 just has a silhouette that puts it onto a tier above the Jaguar. I'd be much more impressed by one on the street in person, that's for sure. The F-Type might be a nimbler car, but the exhaust note and power advantage of the DB11 gave it the lead here in terms of raw speed as well.

The old adage holds true: "You get what you payed for."

So if you couldn't tell, that's already one vote for the DB11, let's see where it goes from here:

this week my vote goes to the Jag

And my vote for this week's mission comes to:
Aston Martin DB11 '16

my vote goes to the Jag.

the Jag is the true winner for me.

so basically DB11 wins because it feels a lot more planted.

I just plain like Aston more than Jaguar, so the DB11 gets my vote.

Jaguar: 3
Aston Martin: 4

Therefore, the winner of this week's super spy showdown is the...

4836874869122532356_0.jpg

Aston Martin DB11!

Now that James Bond has returned home to MI6 and the baddy in the Jaguar has been dispatched in his evil layer, let's take a look and see how fast you guys were in our time trials.

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week #12: Results from Tokyo

Tokyo_Expressway_East_Inner_Loop.jpg

On Bond's latest mission, he was dispatched to Tokyo to track down a famous Yakuza mob boss. Unfortunately he was spotted and the villain gave chase in his Jaguar F-Type. Bond in his new Aston Martin DB11 attempted to loose the pursuer by escaping to the Tokyo Expressway. Let's see if he was able to gain distance from the Yakuza crime lord he was escaping from by comparing the time it took both cars to pass the same building twice.

db11_Model.png

Aston Martin DB11

@RZQSPEED - 2:13.688
@Macboyilija - 2:15.309

@ThrasherDBS - 2:18.934
@dnlnnhs - 2:21.487
image_gray.png
Jaguar F-Type

@RZQSPEED - 2:15.492
@Macboyilija - 2:16.503

@dnlnnhs - 2:21.020
@ThrasherDBS - 2:21.851

It seems like in 3 out of 4 alternate universes, James Bond was able to escape the clutches of the Yakuza, with RZQSPEED's version of James Bond being the fastest out of the bunch. (Not to mention his Yakuza boss would eat some of the alternate Bonds for breakfast on a race track). That was a fun duel last week, so let's get on to the next one already!​

GT Sport Duel of the Week #13: Mercedes Showdown!

By the state of the forum and the game right now, you might have been expecting a duel featuring the new W08 EQ Power+. I mean, what would it race against, the version with different colours? No. This week features two other Mercedes that are actually capable of pulling off a compelling duel. One is the successor to the other and they're both more than capable of tearing up any race track around the world. This week we return to Gr.3 from the road cars of last week to examine the...

4684385811092768284_0.jpg

…Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 '11

and the

7358903783590495252_0.jpg

...Mercedes-AMG GT3 HTP Motorsports '16

A battle of the stablemates is always a fun time, so let's see who's got it this week. I wonder if the SLS can keep up with the more modern AMG GT3, or will the earlier model be victorious with a surprise victory? They may share the same heart, but these two were born to compete against one another.​

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week #13: Germans in France!

Circuit_de_Sainte-Croix_-_B.jpg

Another fantastic home run of a circuit from Polyphony here, the latest track added in the 1.23 update, Saint Croix, is a masterpiece of flowing high-speed corners. The layout presented here is Saint Croix - B, the shortest variant of the track. This version is ideal for GT racing and is just the right length at around 2+ minutes to lap. Here's the criteria for this week's duel:

Tire Compound: Racing Hard
Tags: gtsduel, dotw013
Tuning: Prohibited
Due Date: Next Monday

I might have to take a crack at the time trial this week, it's an amazing track that I hope gets a lot of use in the future, we have three different variations to try after all. So let's see if the slightly older Mercedes can match the slightly newer Mercedes with the same engine. Only time will tell!

(the serious) SLS AMG GT3: 2:13.636
AMG GT3: 2:10.991

Kind of a landslide for the AMG for me. I really like the SLS' handling, but it's a bit...lacking.

Vertical rock votes AMG GT3.

Side note: I didn't see the specific AMG GT3 Waflz posted, so I assumed it meant the standard one.

Got all moved into the new house. I'm alive still thankfully, and when I got internet back, I was treated to a brand new update! Very nice to see. This new track looks pretty intricate.

And we're pitting two racing Mercedes against each other in a pretty awesome matchup on one of the new courses. I loved the SLS GT3 in GT6 and the AMG GT3 sounds like it made a fair dinkum successor to it. Let's see if Mercedes made an upgrade or need to go back to the drawing board.

St. Croix B Trial:
SLS GT3 - 2:16.283
AMG GT3 - 2:14.291

Welp, survey says, yes they made the upgrade! The SLS felt just a little bit squirrelly but it held pretty tightly for the most part, just like I liked it in GT6. Then the AMG came along and demolished the SLS's time by a good two seconds, feeling a lot more snappy as a result. The Mercedes GT3 cars are my favorite "real" GT3 cars in the game, and it shows how much they've stepped up their game in five years.

The AMG GT3 wins it.

Here are this week's results!

Music!

Embedded version below

LAP TIMES (20 Laps)

Mercedes-AMG GT GT3: 2:08.364
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3: 2:10.098

DRIVER'S COMMENTS
This is the first Duel of the Week with the new tire simulation model and featuring the new Sainte-Croix fictional track, here in its B Forwards configuration. Our cars for this week are two of Mercedes's Gr.3 cars, both being real-life GT3 machines with tons of success behind them, with the specific AMG GT3 we have being the winner of the 2016 Nürburgring 24 Hours, the same race as when Kazunori Yamauchi drove the Walkenhorst M6 there. And both cars are, as with practically every DotW since either GT5 or 6, running completely stock, even down to their original liveries and default setups, although for GTS DotWs you can use any livery you want, so for this week you could go for a Miku or an LH44 livery, it's up to you.

The AMG out of the box comes with 613 HP, which is useful going into a straight. The car corners very well, although the V8's torque can be fiddly to deal with. With enough practice through le Croix B, a low 2:08 is possible. Its BoP can be an issue bringing this car on the C layout of this week's location into a fight full of Ford GT LM Spec IIs, Mustang Gr.3s, Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3s, Lambo Huracán GT3s (take advantage of its twitchiness!), Peugeot VGT Gr.3s and VW GTI VGT Gr.3s.

The SLS is slower than its successor due to less power and slightly more weight. When BoP is in effect however, it is actually faster overall than the AMG GT, at least with the old tire simulation model from 1.22 and earlier. This car has a lot of potential, but sadly I bottled a few fast lap runs, as this car can actually reach 2:09s around Sainte-Croix B if done perfectly. Said BoP for this car would still not be useful for beating those cars mentioned in the AMG GT part of this week's review around Sainte-Croix C, but it can hang around them closer compared to the AMG GT.

VERDICT
Mercedes-Benz is one of the choices for beginners when it comes to choosing a manufacturer for the Manufacturer Series. But if I went for them (I'm with Toyota currently for the 2018 Series, and I'm planning to race with BMW for the 2019 Series until the PS+ subscription expires, as I need to kindly ask my parents to renew my subscription, which currently lasts from the end of Days of Play promo to August 2019), I would pick the SLS, despite the understeer warnings from some other people. To be honest, the AMG GT GT3 is a hard sell currently until PD buffed up its power back again or putting it to a diet.

And so, my vote goes to!:
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 '11

Umm, how about bringing in @force ewerby here into the DotW to show people like myself how to drive a Merc GT3 without BoP?

TEST NOTES: Lap Times are set with stock settings, Racing Hard tires, ABS Default, TC OFF, BBal in the center and the track is set in a Cloudy day.

In a stroke of impeccable timing, I've actually just left to go on holiday to Croatia for a week. But yeah kind of kicking myself for picking the AMG over the SLS when signing my contract, as are I imagine Kie and the other top #blessed bois.

Here are this week's results!

Music!

Embedded version below

LAP TIMES (20 Laps)

Mercedes-AMG GT GT3: 2:08.364
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3: 2:10.098

DRIVER'S COMMENTS
This is the first Duel of the Week with the new tire simulation model and featuring the new Sainte-Croix fictional track, here in its B Forwards configuration. Our cars for this week are two of Mercedes's Gr.3 cars, both being real-life GT3 machines with tons of success behind them, with the specific AMG GT3 we have being the winner of the 2016 Nürburgring 24 Hours, the same race as when Kazunori Yamauchi drove the Walkenhorst M6 there. And both cars are, as with practically every DotW since either GT5 or 6, running completely stock, even down to their original liveries and default setups, although for GTS DotWs you can use any livery you want, so for this week you could go for a Miku or an LH44 livery, it's up to you.

The AMG out of the box comes with 613 HP, which is useful going into a straight. The car corners very well, although the V8's torque can be fiddly to deal with. With enough practice through le Croix B, a low 2:08 is possible. Its BoP can be an issue bringing this car on the C layout of this week's location into a fight full of Ford GT LM Spec IIs, Mustang Gr.3s, Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3s, Lambo Huracán GT3s (take advantage of its twitchiness!), Peugeot VGT Gr.3s and VW GTI VGT Gr.3s.

The SLS is slower than its successor due to less power and slightly more weight. When BoP is in effect however, it is actually faster overall than the AMG GT, at least with the old tire simulation model from 1.22 and earlier. This car has a lot of potential, but sadly I bottled a few fast lap runs, as this car can actually reach 2:09s around Sainte-Croix B if done perfectly. Said BoP for this car would still not be useful for beating those cars mentioned in the AMG GT part of this week's review around Sainte-Croix C, but it can hang around them closer compared to the AMG GT.

VERDICT
Mercedes-Benz is one of the choices for beginners when it comes to choosing a manufacturer for the Manufacturer Series. But if I went for them (I'm with Toyota currently for the 2018 Series, and I'm planning to race with BMW for the 2019 Series until the PS+ subscription expires, as I need to kindly ask my parents to renew my subscription, which currently lasts from the end of Days of Play promo to August 2019), I would pick the SLS, despite the understeer warnings from some other people. To be honest, the AMG GT GT3 is a hard sell currently until PD buffed up its power back again or putting it to a diet.

And so, my vote goes to!:
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 '11

Umm, how about bringing in @force ewerby here into the DotW to show people like myself how to drive a Merc GT3 without BoP?

TEST NOTES: Lap Times are set with stock settings, Racing Hard tires, ABS Default, TC OFF, BBal in the center and the track is set in a Cloudy day.

Impressive lap times.

And for once I'm not too far off one of the faster guys here!

Hey there, I’m sure it’s been a while but if you’re wondering why there’s hasn’t been a duel since early August or why I haven’t been posting much lately, it’s because I sort of got burnt out on GT Sport.

I was playing it so much I got to the point that I was driving +100km each day at least. I was kind of feeling bored of it by mid August so I took an extended break from the game, only touching it for a bit. I beat Dark Souls 3 again twice and bought 2 to find something else to do.

Now I’m feeling the spark again, especially before the potential update coming this week. So prepare for a duel coming up really soon in the next day or two!

Back