GT Sport, Forza 7, Project CARS 2, and DiRT 4 All Nominated for D.I.C.E. Racing Game of the Year

I think project cars 2 deserves it honestly. Forza is ok but too many things have gone backwards, missing and bugged . GTS is ok too but lack of content and some features make it miss the mark.

IDK man. There are a LOT of issues with PC2. Its stable now, but very hard to run leagues with due to set up bugs and livetrack sync issues.

GTS has a very stable network and has redefined the online experience with sport mode

I cannot speak about FM7 or DiRT 4.

I could make an argument for any of the nominees if I felt so inclined. Well, DiRT would probably be the hardest, if only because WRC 7 existed in the same year. There's a lot more common ground there than there is between the Big Three, IMO.

GT Sport:
+ A high-quality, curated experience. Sport Mode, when it works, is fantastic.
- Little content, online saving.

Forza 7
+ A smorgasboard of car culture. Absolutely astounding car list.
- Plenty of little glitches detract from the overall experience.

PCARS2
+ The best simulation of the world of motorsports. Living, breathing tracks.
- Bigger glitches. Narrower appeal.

D4:
+ Variety of off-road experiences. Track generator.
- Track generator isn't quite as varied as some hoped. Didn't feel like a clear step forward from Rally.

MK8D:
+ The anti-PCARS2 in terms of appeal.
- Will get the panties of those who believe this category should only be about UBER REALISM in a twist.

...wait. That last one is a positive, isn't it? :P

I think project cars 2 deserves it honestly. Forza is ok but too many things have gone backwards, missing and bugged . GTS is ok too but lack of content and some features make it miss the mark.
PCars 2's servers are just as bad as they were in 1. Also Gran Turismo Sport is adding content for free every month.

I own GT sport and project cars 2. Enjoy both but I would rate GT Sport higher just because of the excellent online mode.
Absolutely shocked F12017 isn't there probably my favorite racing game of the year.

My vote goes to Pcars 2.

.......If only they would iron out the laggy server issues, disconnects and such that would be great though.

Project Cars 2 is the best racing car offline game, the online has some bugs but the ranking system works much better than GT Sport, it also has much more content. As for Forza 7 and Dirt 4 they are good games but they don´t have nothing special.
For me the winner is very clear.

I want pCARS 2 to win because of its incredible car and track selection, but I think Forza will take it again.

Wouldn't be surprised if FM7 picks up this award, since it is the best "game" out of all the nominations. GT Sport does a good job of being a console iRacing but even after a few updates it still has a serious lack of content, PCARS 2 seems like a great sim but it's awful controller optimisation and narrow focus mean it's not likely to win any awards and DiRT 4 is an excellent rally game let down slightly by the repetitive course generator.

Forza 7 may be far from perfect but it is easily the best out of the options here IMO with it's hugely varied car and track list, superior career mode out of any game out this year and it's accessible but still realistic handling. Of course it is let down considerably by the poor handling of the specialty dealer & Forzathon, locking half the car list behind an effective wait timer and the drip feeding of online lobbies.

Personally, I feel Need For Speed Payback should definitely be on this list as that is the racing game that I think really deserves the award. It's got a pretty good car list for an arcade racer, all of which have a wide variety of customization options, with a good livery editor, a decent enough story and handling physics that are actually rather fun. Give Ghost a few updates to add online free roam and free roam cops and this could actually be one of the best NFS games in a long while.

Can't comment on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as I've never played it.

I'd personally have put WRC 7 ahead of DiRT 4 this time around. Since it was a massive step forward for the franchise.

Last edited:
I've not picked up D4 in a long time. WRC 7 has gone under the radar, but I guess being just rally cars it's only going to appeal to a smaller audience.

They're all fine in one way or another, but if I were the one in power my winner would be F1 2017.

"the most shocking thing about the list is DiRT 4’s inclusion over a certain other Codemasters title: F1 2017"

Weird, as the game has actually won some game of the year honors from other publications/websites.

A lot of titles do this, except the content they add has a price tag. We have yet to see that here.
No, they have conditioned gamers to accept this. The game received less than stellar reviews because of lack of content. They should have released it with the game on day one. Give us $60.00 worth when we spend $60.00. Not down the road. Then if they want to add DLC later, then they can.

Forza 7 received rave reviews because of all the content. GT Sport received poor reviews because of so little content. Had GT released with all the content at the start, there is no doubt in my mind it would have scored better than Forza.

"a lot of titles do this" isn't acceptable. The DLC we are getting isn't free, we paid for it, and they are just getting around to giving it to us.

That said, I am enjoying the game immensely, and I am glad they are at least consistently getting out new content.

^ I agree, just because MK8 is a 2014 game. :P

Frankly, though, while the AI in PCARS2 is pretty good (if not always) and Dirt 4 offers hardcore thrills, to me MK8 offers the best racing, a superb balance (Hard 200cc w/ Frantic items). I have not played FM7 or the finished product of GTS (or MK8DX), but GTS's handling and analog stick steering was crap in the public beta, and I have enough experience with Forza to believe FM7 would most likely not impress me with its physics or Drivatar-powered AI.

And hey, MK8DX deserves the recognition the Wii U couldn't allow for MK8. 👍

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a ridiculously polished, well made and perfectly executed kart racer.

Amazing coup for Nintendo.

Also...as always, bear in mind this is a mainstream awards ceremony. Not a sim racing enthusiast gathering.

Last edited:
Mainstream? This is an industry award, voted on by industry peers. I get why MK8 is popular (it nearly got me to buy a WiiU and a Switch), but I would not have voted for a ported kart racer from a previous generation console that previously won this award regardless of how fun it is over any of the far more technically impressive sims in the category. It's been awhile since I've been on a peer panel...perhaps I should get myself on the ra Back to GT Sport...

Last edited:
Mainstream? This is an industry award, voted on by industry peers. I get why MK8 is popular (it nearly got me to buy a WiiU and a Switch), but I would not have voted for a ported kart racer from a previous generation console that previously won this award regardless of how fun it is over any of the far more technically impressive sims in the category. Back to GT Sport...
An event that is covered and subsequently hosted by mainstream games media still counts as such in my book. 👍

I think people don't have a problem with a kart racer taking an award but the fact that this release is just a DLC pack in with battle mode and a few quality of life improvements. It's a very fun game but I don't think things like say Gran Turismo 5 XL or Project Cars Game of the Year Edition can be treated as new, eligible games.

Back