GT SPORT GEEZER CLUB

• Thread starter geezer1791
  • 4,879 comments
I 100% agree, the lead car has priority. In the case of side by side,, IMO the car who has the obvious 'line' has priority. Some would say there can be more than one line thru a corner,, stock cars prove it every oval or tri oval race - but we're talk'n road racing.
You guys are not considering that the white car is outside and have not cleared the other car and that was a dispute of position and the inside car has the right to defend as the overtake was not done yet, the white car was ahead but did not clear the other car. In real life that incident would end both races. If the situation would be the other way, the inside car passing the outside car I would agree. Racing etiquete rule number one says that the car making the pass is fully responsible for the safety of the movement. The white turned early into the other car making the movement insecure. As he was taking the risc he could follow his line and try to make the corner and not ever share the risc with the other car.

Last edited:
I also should have noted that the white car was on the driving line.
Well having the line does not mean that everybody else has to move away. That was a position dispute the inside car has the supreme right of self defense. The car that is overtaking has to find a safe line to do the pass, not just hit everyone out of his line. Races would be wreckfest.

Last edited:
This video was done by Iracing and everyone shoul see it. There are 3 videos 7a, 7b and 7c, each one has about 7 minutes. Racing etiquete.

Excellent videos. Yes, I learned something. Whether or not I will be able to utilize the lesson(s) learned,,, we'll see :)

The Rules: SCCA
A. Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact between cars on the race track.
B. Each competitor has a right to racing room, which is generally defined as sufficient space on the marked racing surface that under racing conditions, a driver can maintain control of his car in close quarters.
C. Drivers must respect the right of other competitors to racing room. Abrupt changes in direction that impede or affect the path of another car attempting to overtake or pass may be interpreted as an effort to deprive a fellow competitor of the right to racing room.
D. The overtaking driver is responsible for the decision to pass another car and to accomplish it safely. The overtaken driver is responsible to be aware that he is being passed and not to impede or block the overtaking car. A driver who does not use his rear view mirror or who appears to be blocking another car attempting to pass may be black flagged and/or penalized, as specified in Section 7.

NASA: These are unwritten rules.
2. Cars side-by-side at corner entry
Not every straight is long enough that passes, when done cleanly, are completed by the time cars reach the next corner. In fact, this is probably the most common type of passing situation in lower-powered classes. The result is that you have two cars side-by-side coming up to corner entry and at corner entry. This leads to unwritten corollaries to the standard rulebook statements:

. At corner entry, if the overtaking car does not have its front axle past the leading car’s cockpit (A pillar on production cars, driver on formula cars and sports racers for easy visual reference), the overtaking car should adjust its speed to tuck in behind the leading car with minimal interruption to the leading car’s line.
And:
. At corner entry, when the overtaking car has its front axle past the cockpit of the leading car but its rear axle is behind the cockpit, the cars are considered side-by-side. Both cars should adjust their lines to avoid contact and provide room on the racing surface for the other car.
And:
. At corner entry, when the overtaken car has its front axle behind the cockpit of the overtaking car, the overtaken car should adjust his speed and tuck in behind the overtaking car.

In short, when the passer isn’t ahead, he gives up the corner. When you’re side by side, continue racing until one car is clearly ahead (often at a subsequent corner). When the passer is ahead on corner entry, the formerly leading car accepts the pass.

4. The Kink:
You may come out of a corner side-by-side and find that the next corner is a kink (a gentle bend in the middle of a longish straight). Or you may catch a car on a straight before a kink occurs. For some cars, the kink may not involve cornering at the limit and these kinks are generally not problematic. But if a near-the-limit corner is involved for one or more of the cars, it can create problems. This is especially true if the straight on the run-up to the kink is long enough that competitors are traveling at high speed.
If our cars are similar or are in the same class, the common situation is that we’re running into the kink side-by-side with little relative velocity.

I expect the inside car to enter and track out in a way that leaves a lane of room on the racetrack for the outside car. If you punt me, I’m going to protest because high-speed offs are dangerous and you have to be a moron not to know that kinks involve high speed. Bumping may be “just a racing incident”, but I don’t like it. I especially don’t like it because almost no one has car control skills that allow them to consistently bump but not punt. On top of that, if your car control skills are so good, then you wouldn’t bump me in the first place.

Last edited:
A. Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact between cars on the race track.
B. Each competitor has a right to racing room, which is generally defined as sufficient space on the marked racing surface that under racing conditions, a driver can maintain control of his car in close quarters.
C. Drivers must respect the right of other competitors to racing room. Abrupt changes in direction that impede or affect the path of another car attempting to overtake or pass may be interpreted as an effort to deprive a fellow competitor of the right to racing room.
D. The overtaking driver is responsible for the decision to pass another car and to accomplish it safely. The overtaken driver is responsible to be aware that he is being passed and not to impede or block the overtaking car. A driver who does not use his rear view mirror or who appears to be blocking another car attempting to pass may be black flagged and/or penalized, as specified in Section 7.

Not every straight is long enough that passes, when done cleanly, are completed by the time cars reach the next corner. In fact, this is probably the most common type of passing situation in lower-powered classes. The result is that you have two cars side-by-side coming up to corner entry and at corner entry. This leads to unwritten corollaries to the standard rulebook statements:

. At corner entry, if the overtaking car does not have its front axle past the leading car’s cockpit (A pillar on production cars, driver on formula cars and sports racers for easy visual reference), the overtaking car should adjust its speed to tuck in behind the leading car with minimal interruption to the leading car’s line.
And:
. At corner entry, when the overtaking car has its front axle past the cockpit of the leading car but its rear axle is behind the cockpit, the cars are considered side-by-side. Both cars should adjust their lines to avoid contact and provide room on the racing surface for the other car.
And:
. At corner entry, when the overtaken car has its front axle behind the cockpit of the overtaking car, the overtaken car should adjust his speed and tuck in behind the overtaking car.

In short, when the passer isn’t ahead, he gives up the corner. When you’re side by side, continue racing until one car is clearly ahead (often at a subsequent corner). When the passer is ahead on corner entry, the formerly leading car accepts the pass.

4. The Kink:
You may come out of a corner side-by-side and find that the next corner is a kink (a gentle bend in the middle of a longish straight). Or you may catch a car on a straight before a kink occurs. For some cars, the kink may not involve cornering at the limit and these kinks are generally not problematic. But if a near-the-limit corner is involved for one or more of the cars, it can create problems. This is especially true if the straight on the run-up to the kink is long enough that competitors are traveling at high speed.
If our cars are similar or are in the same class, the common situation is that we’re running into the kink side-by-side with little relative velocity.

I expect the inside car to enter and track out in a way that leaves a lane of room on the racetrack for the outside car. If you punt me, I’m going to protest because high-speed offs are dangerous and you have to be a moron not to know that kinks involve high speed. Bumping may be “just a racing incident”, but I don’t like it. I especially don’t like it because almost no one has car control skills that allow them to consistently bump but not punt. On top of that, if your car control skills are so good, then you wouldn’t bump me in the first place.
Excelent Pete. Tks

Thanks for the SCCA rules, Pete. We used to have a list of resources like those on the PlayStation Community, but those disappeared tears ago and I looked for the FIA info first. The info dealt with overlap and I couldn't remember the specifics.

Some large groups even used to have scrutineers watching on-line races or replays, but, to avoid disputes, small groups should also agree to a set of rules before racing in competitions.

Thanks for the SCCA rules, Pete. We used to have a list of resources like those on the PlayStation Community, but those disappeared tears ago and I looked for the FIA info first. The info dealt with overlap and I couldn't remember the specifics.

Some large groups even used to have scrutineers watching on-line races or replays, but, to avoid disputes, small groups should also agree to a set of rules before racing in competitions.
The SCCA site has some good diagrams showing how both cars must take into account their visibility to the other driver. What I gather is once position has been achieved, it is the responsibility of the trailing car to make sure contact is not made. The leading driver can no longer see the car that was passed. There is a write up about dive bombing also.

Wednesday night racing 7:30 PM ET
N500 Mileage exchange car untuned. Please at least have the car that is available now.
N100 - N300 tuned or untuned
Group X
Group 2 BOP or One make
Group 4 BOP or One make

4th place chooses car & track

And:
And:

4. The Kink:

There's one part of this I'm a tad unclear, perhaps even may not 100% agree with, "I expect the inside car to enter and track out in a way that leaves a lane of room on the racetrack for the outside car." [using the quote automatically italicized the text - I can't figure out how to turn it off for my thoughts,,,]

eg; both cars are approaching 'the kink' at speed. The overtaking car had benefit of the draft on the straight and knows the car he/she is overtaking will likely enter the turn low and exit high, shall he/she EXPECT the car being overtaken knows he/he MUST slow to a speed that will allow the outside lane be unobstructed? Is it a 'fair statement' the overtaking car CAN SAFELY ASSUME the lane will be open? Hmmmm,,,,see where I'm going with this scenario? Yep,, my spin on that is: I WOULD NOT ASSUME THAT LANE IS GOING TO BE MINE. I DON'T WANT TO BE 'PUSHED' OFF THE TRACK. IMHO in that scenario it is NOT a safe pass unless I know for certain the other car will give up the lane. Let's visit on this one tonite or this weekend. Although this scenario doesn't happen all that often we do see these high speed kinks at a few tracks,

There's one part of this I'm a tad unclear, perhaps even may not 100% agree with, "I expect the inside car to enter and track out in a way that leaves a lane of room on the racetrack for the outside car." [using the quote automatically italicized the text - I can't figure out how to turn it off for my thoughts,,,]

eg; both cars are approaching 'the kink' at speed. The overtaking car had benefit of the draft on the straight and knows the car he/she is overtaking will likely enter the turn low and exit high, shall he/she EXPECT the car being overtaken knows he/he MUST slow to a speed that will allow the outside lane be unobstructed? Is it a 'fair statement' the overtaking car CAN SAFELY ASSUME the lane will be open? Hmmmm,,,,see where I'm going with this scenario? Yep,, my spin on that is: I WOULD NOT ASSUME THAT LANE IS GOING TO BE MINE. I DON'T WANT TO BE 'PUSHED' OFF THE TRACK. IMHO in that scenario it is NOT a safe pass unless I know for certain the other car will give up the lane. Let's visit on this one tonite or this weekend. Although this scenario doesn't happen all that often we do see these high speed kinks at a few tracks,
Of course you never know what someone else will do, but that is the expectation based on how you would expect the corner to be run. If the position is not given up you get what happened. There is no financial or personal risk that enters into our decisions because this is a video game.

Last edited:
So, both I and Pepper were on the right path. The sense of cold is both generated and enhanced by menthol in the same way heat sensors get stimulated by capsaicin from peppers. A TRPM8 protein permits sodium and calcium ions to transfer across a channel and enter nerve cells. These stimulants trick our brains into sensing hot and cold when temperatures haven't actually changed.

I didn't have a list of ingredients to see if menthol or some other ingredient was included.

Another aside, the funny Professor that I mentioned is Irving Finkel. A good YouTube example is his lecture about "The Ark Before Noah: A Great Adventure".

Last edited:
Saturday Geezer Races NOTE - This week Luiz will be at his persimmon ranch, partying and raising he*l with family and friends while we wile away a few hours playing without him :( I volunteered to host so we'll have to make do......

Lobby opens @ 8:30 AM ET

Cars:
Gr.3 - One Make or BoP - (100x100) - Tires: RM - No Tune
Gr.4 - One Make or BoP - (100x100) - Tires: RH - No Tune
Gr.X - One Make (100x100) - Tires: (depend on the car)
N400 - One Make or BoP - (100x100) - Tires: SS/SM - Tune or Not
N200 - One Make or BoP - (100x100) - Tires: SS/SM - Tune or Not

Race and Track conditions:
Weather: Sunny and Clear Day
Laps: 5 to 9 depending on track length
Grid: Stand start
Tire: consumption during race will be set @ 4x for all cars
Fuel: consumption during race will be set at 60 liters and 5x for all cars
Qualify: fastest first for every race
Penalty System: on
Boost: ON Strong
Slipstream: ON Real

First Race/Qualify

N400 'ONE MAKE' - BMW M4 Coupe' 2014 @ Suzuka (SS/NT) (no cars from other classes)

4th place chose next combo (car n track)

See ya there!

PS - Lobby is friends only, if you are a Geezer (+60 yrs) and would like to participate, send a FR to PSN: Daduce1947

Last edited:
Starting....
20220225_082752.jpg

Last edited:
Back