GT Sport GR Supra Cup Returns for 2020

Man, I was kinda bumming because home life took me away from entry and I really enjoy the car...but after the reports...

@Pigems that sucks man :( you were fast there!
That irritates me the most when you know at high A and beyond 100 percent they know better and can control the car!
Damn arcade mental midgets!

Man, I was kinda bumming because home life took me away from entry and I really enjoy the car...but after the reports...

@Pigems that sucks man :( you were fast there!
That irritates me the most when you know at high A and beyond 100 percent they know better and can control the car!
Damn arcade mental midgets!

It’s all good, I know better than to spend my time on it now. It’s pretty sad that this sort of stuff still happens in A+ rooms though.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200426185013.jpg Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200426195939.jpg

Well that was an utter joke of an A/S lobby at Fuji. 2 divebombs into turn 1 resulted in 2 - 3 second penalties for me, and nothing of course for either perpetrator who both finished with blue S's.. Finished DFL, with a red S. Lost 1300 DR and 9 SR.

Painful, and not fun in the least.

What a waste of time that was, practiced all day and qualified P3 only to get taken out on the first lap in an all A+ room. With only one slot, I won’t be doing any more of these.
Dude, don’t be like that, if the horse throws you off, get back on again.
It does suck that a miscalculation by someone can totally ruin some one else’s race but that is the nature of racing, it’s a one shot thing, no retakes. Just remember what happened the Liuzi at Monza 2011:

I don’t think that’s the way he planned to start that race.

And it also sucks that this championship has only one slot, it deserves and needs more like the nations and manufacturers races.
Don’t quit, just go back and do better.

It does suck that a miscalculation by someone can totally ruin some one else’s race but that is the nature of racing, it’s a one shot thing, no retakes. Just remember what happened the Liuzi at Monza 2011:

And it also sucks that this championship has only one slot, it deserves and needs more like the nations and manufacturers races.

I get what your saying, and I don’t necessarily disagree. But, with only one time slot, I really don’t have much interest in spending a day practicing just to have something like this happen with no chance for a retry. At least in Nations and Manu I can try again and I haven’t wasted a whole day.

I got hit behind T1 which resulted in my hitting the guy in front, i think it sent him off idk what happened to him.
But the guy that hit me i think got a hefty 5s.
Otherwise it was pretty clean .
Really struggled the last 3 laps with tire wear, Fuji is difficult place with no tire left.

What a waste of time that was, practiced all day and qualified P3 only to get taken out on the first lap in an all A+ room. With only one slot, I won’t be doing any more of these.
Were you in my lobby? If not, then round 1 was truly stacked...

And super meme-y, holy heck.
Quali got messy, as people looked for the slipstream. I mess up my own quali lol.

Race starts. T1, someone boops a car, which hits me, and I get a 2 second penalty.
Throughout the race, people punt each other more, some fly off at the speed of light at the hairpins, and on lap 10, I get punted so hard, it scared me. :lol:

So I started 13th.. fell to 18th.. and finished 13th. If the unnecessary penalties and toxic driving (and post race-chat, that got nasty) continues, this series should be renamed to GR Supra Meme Cup.

E: 38th in NA, that's not TOO bad of a start...ish.

Last edited:
It’s all good, I know better than to spend my time on it now. It’s pretty sad that this sort of stuff still happens in A+ rooms though.

Well, law of averages, you’ve had so many excellent results lately...
I prolly woulda been in the same boat if not for life getting in the way earlier, I wasn’t able to enter up however I would not have excercised as much self control as you showed...
Law of averages...

Had a surprisingly easy and, quite frankly, boring, race. I missed out on the top group because the last Manufacturer's race last night butchered my DR, so I was top ranked in the room I was in. Botched my qualifying on the first lap because the car I was drafting off of was too slow, but was able to qualify 2nd on a no-draft second lap.

Pole sitter overshot T1 all on his own, I pulled out a good enough lead at the start that no one could draft me, and just held it for the whole race. The pole sitter eventually got back to 2nd and was faster than me, but he only managed to halve the gap to me over the race distance. No stop, just consistent laps. Like I said, boring. :lol:

I thought this was actually pretty fun. It was predictably a clown show at the back of a B/S lobby, but I had myself to blame for a poor qualifying effort where I blew my first lap by braking at my Gr3 mark!! This after a good hour of practice during the day. Had to drive a conservative second lap just to make sure I wasn’t gridded last. Then I crept forward by mistake before the standing start to earn a penalty, But after being patient for and staying clean the rest of the race, rallied from 17th to finish 7th. I’m looking forward to the rest of the races. I think a lot of people went at this one like it was a daily, when it’s a series. The weeds will clear and the racing will be fun, I’m hopeful. Car is a handful, on street tires I didn’t feel guilty with TCS at 1, but allows for smart driving to pay off. Anyone else enjoy it?

upload_2020-4-26_22-12-17.png

Last edited:
I got hit behind T1 which resulted in my hitting the guy in front, i think it sent him off idk what happened to him.
But the guy that hit me i think got a hefty 5s.
Otherwise it was pretty clean .
Really struggled the last 3 laps with tire wear, Fuji is difficult place with no tire left.
Yeah those tires fall off hard after the 8th lap. I thought it was gonna be no factor, half way through, then- bam! Nothing. The tire truck is gonna be busy after this one! (The body shop is gonna be busy too!)

Qualified 8th, got a great start to 4th, got put back to 9th by a T1 bowling ball and a 1s penalty for... I think existing, didn't get a penalty for taking someone out at Dunlop (I moved right early to block the inside and spot my brake marker; he moved right in the braking zone around another car), passed a few cars to get back up to... I think 5th in the end.

Reasonable race, too many people not knowing how sport hard tyres work.

Edit: Apparently my SR fell from 99 to 80 :lol: Absolutely no idea how - two SR downs in the entire ten-lap race...
I’ve gone down 24 SR points with just two bogus SR orange marks and another bogus 2s penalty when someone slidejob hit my front fender while I was on the exit curb holding my line, in a 4 lap Daily race. It’s weird that sometimes the damage to the rating is so much worse.

I suspect lots of the rammers will get turned off by the first race, so the next ones should be a lot cleaner. Don't lose hope yet people 👍

I literally said before the race, "long race, be smart in T1". 30 seconds later (predictably) *SMASH* :lol: :banghead: Luckily I expected it and had braked early and kept my brake on to overslow the car so I just about managed to keep in on track. Hit the car in front but he didn't go off either. Thought I definitely had got a penalty but got away scott free. In fact I can't remember seeing contact penalty the whole race despite most drivers treating it like Wreckfest :odd: Most people ran out of tyres near the end and managed to drag myself from midfield to 5th. Love the single shot race. Whatever happens, that's it. Really separates those who play it smart vs those who just divebombs every corner. I miss the strategic fuel saving aspect of last year but racing flaout is fun too.

I kinda prefer the older car tho. N400 is a bit too much for the chassis I feel. Also the 2020 car understeers a lot more at high speeds. Might go with the 2019 car next round to compare, we'll see.

Also, I saw someone weave 6 TIMES down the straight to break the tow. Yep, slipstream is still OP folks :lol:

That's how I see these races. It's more real to me that it's the one slot. Sure, some real series have two to three races per weekend, but I like this. It's like a support/celebrity race for the weekend.

There's the multiple slot Nations(warm up) & Manufacturers(Main event), Supra Cup(like an IROC event).

Last year's Supra Cup, I did a few and then sat out the rest. I'm all for people that tried it and say no more. I'm also for people that stick it out. It gets like that, from time to time.

I had a bunch of fun at Fuji! Qualified 8th (B/S rank), was on course to finish 3rd, then overcooked my braking into the Dunlop chicane on the last lap by a hair, allowing 4th to catch up. Battled through behind him from T11-14. He went wide on T15, I took the chance. Into Panasonic, we were both side by side, but in the heat of the moment, I forgot to drop to 3rd gear and he got me on the exit. I was on his bumper all the way to the finish, taking 4th behind him by 0.2 secs.....but man, that was fun. Even got 1000 DR for the trouble. I don't usually do this well...must be the awesome livery I had that was worth a few extra hp.

20200426223412.jpg
…I see what you did there! Awesome. (It is of course, a M-powered car!)

After the :censored:show of the EMEA race, I opted for even more caution in North America. Oh what a difference that didn't make! I stuck right on the apex of Turn 1, having made up a few places, only for the P10 starter to come right in and do this:

And he goes on to finish P2.:banghead: Meanwhile I remain cautious and get punted about, including by the appropriately-named 'punting_You' who was proud of is actions afterwards:rolleyes:. Gained 131 DR, lost 4 SR, despite no penalties. Finished P9 for 38 pts. At least I have a new Canadian fan in 'Gr8Toss'. Compliments on my username and livery. He was much more patient and even apologised for the smallest of taps he gave me. I couldn't complain when he passed me on the last lap. We shot the breeze before and after the race, complaining about 'punting_You'.

I may just go into the next round with no qualifying and see if I can pick a few places rather than lose all the places I worked hard to get before the race. Or I may just save myself the frustration and forget about the less-than-supra races.

Got punted on turn 1 and the hair pin a few times. People would dive bomb into my car, I got a 1 second penality twice and a 2 second penalty once. People who hit me got no penalty. I dont get it.

Went from SR S down to SR B. I really like Fuji but people dont know how to drive clean. Finished 10th or 11th.

Supra Cup - Rd.1

Did not have too many expectations about this race, as I was not particularly fast in the Supra or on this track. In practice I put a 1.55.8 so I was aiming just to not lose DR and have a bit of fun.

Qualifying was mediocre, I prepared my first flying lap about 3s behind a Supra. However he messed up in the last sector and got a 1.5s penalty which put me right behind him at the end of the straight. First flying lap was a mess, only enough for 16th but I managed to improve the 2nd one and started 11th.

The start was ok, I even won a position till T1, but I was caught in the pileup at T1 and lost 5 positions. Fortunately I was not hit, just squeezed between spinning cars and I could continue without a big timeloss. I followed closely the group in front trying to set up a decent pace and then I noticed that there was fighting every corner. In the chicane there was another accident - I was not caught up in it. I decided to switch tactics, I will follow up closely the group in front, not try to move or gain any position - just be there when they mess up and take their place. This tactic got me in P7 in the 9th lap - me being second in a group of three. The car behind tried a dive on the braking zone of the chicane, but he missed his braking and went wide so I was able to keep the position and put a distance. In the last lap, I also went for a move in T2 as I noticed the driver in front was always braking a bit early in that corner. We traded some paint when he cut in front of me and I swerved left on the grass to avoid ruining his race. I managed to keep my cool and get back to tarmac and then followed him closely till the end straight. My mistake brought the behind cars close and I had to sweat a little to the finish line as I was losing time on the straight but managed to get it home on P7 for 86 points...

Got also 600DR so I can say this race was a success.

I knew I was lucky in my race after watching the replay and seeing I escaped all of the carnage, but after reading everyone's accounts on here, I didn't realize just how lucky I was, sorry to everyone who had a race ruined.

I was in a high B/S DR/SR lobby and I got lucky in qualifying, my last lap was in clean air and I even got a bit of a tow at the very beginning from a slower car and I managed to put a banger lap in to secure pole position. I got off the line cleanly and escaped all of the T1 mayhem, as well as P2 and P3, only to completely bottle it at T3 (my weakest corner to consistently get right with this car) by getting on the power too early. Luckily I only fell into P4 and i got incredibly lucky escaping another wreck-fest at T6. P3 completely outbraked themselves on T1 on lap 2, and after that it was smooth sailing, catching back up to and passing P2 and not being able to close the gap to P1. I'm not sure if I could've kept P1 had I not made the mistake because the winner was incredibly consistent and good on their tires, but I'm still happy with P2, especially because it gave me a sizable boost in DR.

But watching that replay... yikes. It was like a bowling alley at every corner, no wonder why P4 was an additional 13 seconds behind us. I think I'm going to skip the Nurburgring race because if this race is representative of this cup then I know the 24H layout is going to be playing Russian Roulette with 5/6 of the chamber loaded with my DR and SR.

This is how I felt. I'll give Nurburgring a go though because it's a long lap so it should be easy enough to find clean air in qualifying and it's a rolling start, which will reduce the chance for collisions into T1.

If it goes the same way as yesterday though then it's curtains for me!

Some crazy stories of Fuji! I had a relatively quiet race, I got taken out in qualification by a a guy who after apologised about "getting the wrong guy" :rolleyes: I had seen him fighting with another, they both went off and as I went by he thought I was his fighting buddy and rammed me off sideways just before sector 3 so I qualified 19th. In the race I just avoided all idiots and let anyone who was gonna dive go and managed to get 10th from my 19th for 150 odd points.

I love Nurb24Hr so will definitely be on it but one possible problem with this competition is lack of entries meaning I saw some racers lower skill and some higher than I would normally see in FIA races, so maybe the bigger range of skill contributed to some of the issues with much faster racers who had a bad qualification behind and trying to push against slightly slower and possibly less race craft skilled racers. I love big grids and the more the better as far as I'm concerned but I can't help wondering if maybe only a field of 12-14 might have limited this issue.

On another note I prefer the car to 2019 version, not quite sure why it just seems better to drive.

Just a note for the amateur and pro-am drivers among us. I went back and did some more practice at Fuji today. I turned the TCS up full and was very surprised that it didn't really slow me down. I am not quick anyway, but I actually ran my first ever sub 2 minute lap! It didn't really improve my average times much but it made them a lot more consistent, even when the tyres started going off. The TCS caught the car as the tyres started spinning up, so that in circumstances where I would normally spin out (possibly taking other cars with me), I could recover.
Wish I had more practice now. 2 or 3 days practice = you're going to have a bad time. 2 to 3 weeks = :)

This is a really great case study to show all those people that think FIA needs to go back to only 1 slot. It promotes very aggressive driving. I'd like to see those who want it convince the people in here that got completely wiped out that it's better this way.

I do agree with this, driving was very aggressive in my race (you can see it in my race video earlier) so having less races means people do
take more risks, whilst I didn't get 'wiped out' that first corner did have me holding my breath a little.

I can see both sides of the issues there that some probably feel having one race would be better but from experience that's definitely not the case

Back