GT Sport GR Supra Cup Returns for 2020

No, the Italian who finished 5th was the one who ****ed me. Bumped me into the first corner so I nudged a German who went off. Bumped me through the Corkscrew so I cut it and got a penalty, and bumped me again at the next left which put me off the track. Fantastic.
I don't recall how he got past me actually. I had a lot of trouble with a Hungarian driver who, post-Corkscrew on lap one, drove into me four times before the penultimate corner, and the Austrian guy who quite clearly lost his tyres on lap 9 and was just sliding all over the place and collecting people. He fell back quite hard later one.
Loved your perspective of the Corkscrew on the first lap though, that was hilarious.
I nearly made it through too, but there was a grey car stopped almost dead who spoiled my otherwise nicely threaded needle :lol:

I don't recall how he got past me actually. I had a lot of trouble with a Hungarian driver who, post-Corkscrew on lap one, drove into me four times before the penultimate corner, and the Austrian guy who quite clearly lost his tyres on lap 9 and was just sliding all over the place and collecting people. He fell back quite hard later one.

I nearly made it through too, but there was a grey car stopped almost dead who spoiled my otherwise nicely threaded needle :lol:
I'm pretty sure the Austrian was off-track facing the wrong way when I went past him. Your fight with the Hungarian guy was funny, no spatial awareness at all. Surely if you drive into someone at one point you, even if your view doesn't show any cars and you don't have radar on, would not keep trying to occupy that space?

For those of you who've raced already, does there seem to be a more popular strategy between the one stop and the no-stop? My times during the last 3 laps in practice become around 4 seconds longer per lap compared to the times I set before lap 6, which means in theory it should be pretty close between the two.

For those of you who've raced already, does there seem to be a more popular strategy between the one stop and the no-stop? My times during the last 3 laps in practice become around 4 seconds longer per lap compared to the times I set before lap 6, which means in theory it should be pretty close between the two.

I started 4th in mid B rank and tried the no-stop. I ended up really struggling with tyre wear and getting mugged by a few cars that did pit. I finished 9th after running off at the final corner. The choice between no-stop and one-stop should be decided on how good you are with tyres.

I passed on a BBQ to celebrate my birthday to take part in this/these races tonight. I can only hope a few certain A/S 'drivers' either are skipping the Supra Cup or get disconnected during matchmaking.

I'll be going with the one-stopper as, like fuel saving, I can't save my tires to save my life.

I started 4th in mid B rank and tried the no-stop. I ended up really struggling with tyre wear and getting mugged by a few cars that did pit. I finished 9th after running off at the final corner. The choice between no-stop and one-stop should be decided on how good you are with tyres.
What kind of qualifying and lap times were the norm in a mid-B lobby? I'm having a hard time gauging whether I'm a total waste in these or whether I'll even sniff decent finishes. Running 1:39's if I don't mess up in FP, best was a high 1:38, but there are a lot of mess ups.

Only one person in my A/S lobby pitted, got a bad qualifying lap and man was it a mess in the back, we all lost so much time fighting each other. Managed to claw my way up to 9th from 14th but I'm definitely going again, the fastest lap (low 1:38) was about as fast as mine in practice lobbies so I know I'm competitive.

I should have gone to the barbeque. :boggled:

Good A/S, B/S lobby, though. A few GTP racers in there, so there's that. :gtpflag:

I had no pace, and pit after lap 6. Turned my TC from 0 to 1 and made up the 2 or 3 positions I lost in the pits. But still finished 17th...will try again, and try not to think about the delicious flame broiled burgers I missed for this. :lol:

Lost 1,200 DR for my effort, down to ~32.2K

I should have gone to the barbeque. :boggled:

Good A/S, B/S lobby, though. A few GTP racers in there, so there's that. :gtpflag:

I had no pace, and pit after lap 6. Turned my TC from 0 to 1 and made up the 2 or 3 positions I lost in the pits. But still finished 17th...will try again, and try not to think about the delicious flame broiled burgers I missed for this. :lol:

Lost 1,200 DR for my effort, down to ~32.2K
I don't know... I think I'm done with this series. Been a DR suck all season. Cars are fun, but between the willingness of people to be physical in the turns and the crap penalty system, seems like I always struggle for a decent result.

Qualified 11th, the top B driver in a A/B//S room and before the end of the third lap was down to 15th or 16th. Qualifying looked pretty sorted and in line with the DR rankings, so I figured just finish where I start and should be a handful of DR.

But after a clean start, was shoved aside while held up behind a foursome of guys who seemed intent on crashing, after serving a bogus 2 second (!) penalty when pinballed. So total waste of over 600 DR. The penalty was a joke as no one left the track and I gained no advantage from it, just was bounced between the chain reaction and was handed the only penalty, despite not initiating any of the contact.

@afc5150 pitted from my bumper at the midway point, and I finished some ways ahead of him, so I think the no-stop was best for me. I thought he was inside of me on the last turn, so stayed wide, only to see he was gone when I checked on exit.

But overall, not worth the negative impact on my DR, and I'll never be fast enough to win any of these. I've been 3.5-3.9% off the top times at each race, worse than my Gr3 and Gr4 gaps by a ton.

Last edited:
I decided to give tis one a go. I had 7 on the door but qualified 17th.
There really is not that much to write about. I kept it on the track and passed people that didn't.
I pitted on 7 because I knew I wouldn't survive those tires for 12 laps.
In the end, I came home 10th so I consider that a success!
ap_8A9430DA-B93F-4FEC-AFBF-DDD2DDA7B81C.JPG
ap_0F1682DE-9235-4DE3-AE17-99EF56AEF6D4.JPG

I ended up having a mediocre qualifying session, putting me in 13th place. I mostly focused on doing my own thing, just trying not to do anything silly until an opportunity to pass presented itself. Things only got interesting towards the last 25% of the race, when our tires were basically dead.

Speaking of dead tires:

Screenshot (90).png

Someone above me DC'ed while we were waiting for everyone to cross the finish line, putting me at 10th. Got the 200 points I wanted, so I'm happy I don't have to go again.

You can say that this was a tire-ing race. :dopey:

I decided to give tis one a go. I had 7 on the door but qualified 17th.
There really is not that much to write about. I kept it on the track and passed people that didn't.
I pitted on 7 because I knew I wouldn't survive those tires for 12 laps.
In the end, I came home 10th so I consider that a success!
View attachment 932997 View attachment 932998

I started 2nd and finished 4th in this race. I pitted since I did not want to struggle the whole race with worn out tires. I wasn't able to catch up to the lead cars after pitting.

2nd attempt at Laguna bore a little more fruit. I pulled out all the stops for this one, with nothing to lose, and put TC to 2 and switched to A/T.

Another poor qualy saw me start 14th right behind my arch nemesis, Mr. Le Sarthe himself..... he's obviously farmed enough DR and SR since his latest reset 3 days ago.

Lap 2 sees me try to pass him only to be spun out of course, and I get a 3 second penalty for the privilege. I rejoin in last place and just hunker down hoping to catch him and say thank you. :D

I was about to catch him at the end of lap 6 when he pit in front of me and I just kept going. The TC and AT combo worked for me as I just kept the same pace and eventually finished 8th for 111 points which displaces 105 points from an earlier round.

He finished 14th with a blue S. I gained 300 DR and lost 3 SR with a red S.

Round 4, Time Slot 1

I'm grateful there's a rolling start this time around because playing the game of "will I make it alive out of T1?" was getting tiring in the last rounds. I felt I had good pace around here, and while I'm not the best at saving tires, I'm certainly better than most other people.

Qualifying was a disaster though. My first flying lap I went pretty slowly, and on my second flying lap I caught up to a slower person who was lagging everywhere, eventually appearing right in front of me in a braking zone which caused me to punt him, ruining my lap. So, I started 14th when I knew I could be a lot higher up.

Come race start a small gap opens up because I have to go around the final turn. I and the people ahead eventually catch up and we form a train from 10th-14th, and boy does it get messy. Everyone is fighting everyone, and I move up into 13th when someone messes up the Corkscrew. I almost make a double pass into T1/T2 on Lap 3, but get the bad line for T3 and end up getting double passed. I get pushed wide at the Corkscrew and lose another position, followed by another as my exit is compromised, putting me in 15th, but everyone up ahead is still fighting super hard- it almost ends up 4-wide into T5. The chaos continues until next lap, where someone runs wide and the battles become more individual as people begin pulling away. I gain P12 in T9 on Lap 7, and I make a rather strong move for P11 on Lap 8. I then gain P10 as someone ahead serves a penalty, and after some catching up and battling I get P9 coming out of the final corner on Lap 10. I do get punted into T1 as the person I passed goes too late on the brakes, and I take P8 coming into T1 of Lap 11, only to lose it almost immediately to a quick-moving person making their way up.

The rest of the race was pretty calm and I finish in P9 with 143 points. I knew I could do better, if only I qualified better and didn't waste so much time fighting the back of the pack. So, I went again. Little did I know about how the matchmaking was going to be though....

Round 4, Time lot 2

I guess most people bailed after the first race though because I find myself in a room with people around my DR and those who are 30,000 DR higher than me (Turismo-Lester was in my race again). The points for a victory went from 215 in the first slot to 265 in this slot. So, I was feeling nervous because I felt that I was going to end up getting a worse result.

This time I managed two qualifying laps in clean air, but I bottle my 2nd flying lap which would've been in the mid-1:37s. However, that ended up not mattering though, as 13th place was in the 1:37s, and everyone ahead was faster by a significant margin. So, I ended up qualifying 14th, again. The race was much calmer than last time, however, probably because of the differing paces of everyone.

The person starting behind me is quick, but I got a little reprieve when someone ahead messed up the Corkscrew and happened to rejoin just in front of them, which ended up bunching up the people behind me, giving me some breathing room to attack the person ahead. I was forcing them to be defensive, but I couldn't get a pass done. On lap 3, two people ahead of us wiped each other out, meaning I inherited 11th position. I kept following the person ahead, still unable to make a move, while the people behind kept fighting. However, on Lap 5, the faster people in the group broke out and began catching up. The first person gained almost a second on me in one lap, so I didn't bother defending because I knew I would lose time and wear my tires more than I needed to. The next lap the person who was originally behind me also broke out and was closing. They ended up passing me on Lap 9 with a dive down my inside, resulting in a small punt. I gain 11th back though when someone up ahead is moving slowly due to excessive tire wear.

I end up coming out of T6 poorly and go too deep into the Corkscrew defending, however, which spins me around and drops me to 16th. Luckily (for me), I gain back two spots when the people ahead wipe each other out in the final turn on Lap 10, and I get back up to 13th when the person ahead runs super wide into T1. I then gain back 12th position from the same person who was struggling with tire wear. However, I'm unable to catch 11th position, and I finish 12th for 142 points. I could've finished 11th for 153 points had I not defended so aggressively into the Corkscrew and overcooked it, but at least I only lost 1 point compared to the previous race. I'm really not liking this matchmaking, however, when not many people are playing, as it makes a victory nigh impossible and a decent result very hard to come by.

Whoopsie! Forget about this race! :banghead:

Have to try and remember about the remaining races!

Would it help to reduce tyrewear if I used the 2019 Supra? It has 26 HP less than the 2020 one after the BOP is applied and also weighs 10 kg less. Is that big enough of a difference to have a noticable effect?

edit: Never mind, I'm so slow with the worn tyres that the two guys who did a pit stop caught up and left me behind. Qualified 5th, finished 7th. Definitely pitting in the next one.

I had a galaxy brain moment and used the 2019 car. It doesn't make a lot of difference tbh. I've seen people with 2020 cars have worse and better tyre wear. Your driving style matters a lot more. In fact, the 2019 car is a bit slower on pure pace so you probably have to drive slightly faster (and use up more tyres) than the 2020.

It's a shame because the 2019 car handles a lot better than the 2020 car personally. The more open diff makes it more keen to turn in and less power oversteery on exit.

Is anyone bothering with this today?

I’m running it today but I don’t know if I could handle it with a no stop. I haven’t practiced enough to know if it’s viable.

I’m just going to wing it and see what happens.

Gotta take the good with the bad. How many others on the PSN could say that their 2020 Supra has over 3000km on the clock? Mostly practice

Is anyone bothering with this today?

I'm probably going to give the first slot a go, even though Interlagos is one of my weaker tracks I figured I might as well try to get some more points on the board. Gonna go for the no-stop and see what happens.

It's a no-stop, but Slot 1 was an absolute warzone...
I recommend keeping TCS to below 2 as you will lose a lot of speed in the slow turns otherwise. BB +3 works best for me tire-wise.

Today was a complete waste of time and DR. I was never expecting to do well at this track, but the Interlagos director really likes to give me stupid penalties. Race 1 had a car that went off unghost right in front of me and give me a 3 second penalty. Race 2 was looking decent in 11th, but a mistake on the penultimate lap resulted in the pack catching up to me on the last lap and shoving past me in the corners. 3 cars can shove past me without penalty, but I get 3 seconds when I respond and get argy-bargy with them. Moral of the story: Interlagos director hates my guts.

Ran both North American slots tonight, both mixed A/S, B/S lobbies.

Race 1 - Qualified 3rd with a 1:48:6 and was running a comfortable 3rd on lap 5 when I was sent into oblivion in turn 1 by the eventual race winner who was behind me. He didn't get a penalty, but hey, he apologized after the race. I decided to pit for tires and finished an eventual 11th.

Race 2 - Qualified on pole with a 1:48:3 and had a pretty fierce but fair battle for the top 3, sometimes 4 positions. I had to start nursing my tires around lap 7 because I am truly terrible at conserving tires, and was passed for the lead for good. Continued on my merry way trouble free to finish 6 seconds off the lead and 5 seconds ahead of 3rd.

Good points for the championship, and redemption of sorts for the fiasco that was St. Croix in the F1500-T last night in Nations Cup.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200705213632.jpg

Well, that wasn’t too bad. I start with 2 on the door. I qualify 10th. I was originally going to try to no stopper but felt I could gain ground if I did. I enter the pits 10th at the end of lap 6 and come out 15th. My fresh tires allow me to move to P11 by the last lap. I was gaining on P10 but he put up a valiant defense and I couldn’t get past. The bright side was that his slipstream helped me get the fastest lap of the race.
I’ll try again in 2 weeks!
589776EE-093D-452F-A93C-81D4FF116818.jpeg

Well, this was a waste of time. I guess not many people were playing, because I got door #18 but was in a room with some of the top drivers in North America. It was neat being in the same race as @Mistah_MCA though, even though I never got to see him since he's so much faster :lol: But with the lobby being that stacked, it meant I wasn't going to come away with any decent points. In fact, it turned into a race of not-being-last, since in qualifying I could only muster 18th place.

Thanks to this being an essentially top-split room, the start was mostly clean. I made a rather opportunistic move into T1 which saw me go up to 17th briefly, but a squabble behind me meant that I got bumped wide and rejoined in 20th. I was able to catch back up to the pack, but I couldn't make any moves on 19th. On lap 3 though, a person ahead went too hot into T1 and bumped someone, giving them penalties and slowing them down, allowing me to slot up into 18th at T4. However, the driver behind me was much quicker, and re-overtook me before the lap ended. The next lap, the person behind overcooked T1 again. I saw just too late and luckily avoided a full-blown punt. I've raced this person before several times and know they're a clean driver, so I knew that it was an accident rather than malicious. Still though, we ended up getting knocked a bit back from the tail end of the pack, and I wouldn't catch up to 18th until lap 5. They were slower than me through Sector 2, but I couldn't get a pass done because they were faster than me through Sectors 1 and 3, which are the primary overtaking spots on the track. My opportunity came on Lap 7 when they went too wide and got a penalty, which let me pass them coming into T4. However, on Lap 8, I went too wide into T4, which let them back past. I was able to keep up with them, but ended up following them to the line, gaining me 75 points and a DR loss of around 1000 for coming 2nd-to-last.

Just finished a race. Still had a blue S post race. 2nd to 4th, with a stop to replace tyres I slid around with. "Hit wall, collect 1.5 seconds".

A pretty meh 11th to 9th for 124 points. It's all well and good giving us the fuel and tyre wear multipliers to race this thing with, putting it on a track like Tokyo isn't very helpful though.

Ed - I also lost 10 SR points somewhere

Back