GT Sport Impressions

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 376 comments
I haven't driven the demo, but thank you to all uploaders, that gave excellent content preview, I notice these things of vast improvement:

a) Kerb detail , absolutely fantastic, and noticeable
b) the sense of speed seems improved
c) the elevation changes are extremely noticeable, ie. Lake Maggiore track, toward end of fast straight, I thought I was strapped in to a rollercoaster on that last dip,
d) the photorealism (to be expected with hardware gen change), nailed it!

these nuances and more warrant buying this game to sink some time into,

can't wait! thx PD!

+ FFB feels solid enough if a bit 'weighty' (T300RS - btw had to adjust strength all the way down, I'm wondering if this is due to the 100% setting made on the PC side).

I have the same wheel and reduced all the FFB and weight to 0 on the PC settings. Then plugged into PS4 and reduced FFB game settings to 1 and I can still barely turn the wheel. It is the only thing ruining this game for me.

Scapes look nice but I feel they are a poor replacement for photo tour. You are fairly limited in framing and vehicle positioning meaning photos will start to look samey after a short time. The only saving grace is that there are so many of them but my point still stands. Being able to move around in the tour locations added a lot more depth to the mode than scapes.

Photo travel is indeed much better. Scapes are novel but very limiting, once you've seen a couple that's it really but they're good to showcase your own livery creations quickly and maybe get some printed. Wonder if they have some more photo travel planned?

I find the rally to be really strange, like driving a bar of soap down a water slide and any bump to the rear sends the front into the barrier. I'll stick to Dirt Rally, RBR and WRC 2017 for any rally fix or even Colin McCrae on PS1 for that matter.

It was a brave decision from Sony and PD to release such a comprehensive demo so close to release. Then again they knew what they had so I can now understand their confidence.

There was undoubtedly plenty of scepticism over GT Sport, and I'm sure some reviewers will mark down certain aspects. But it's been super beneficial getting the title out into the hands of consumers. I've read so many comments outright surprised how enjoyable they're finding the demo - and just as many putting in a pre-order - when previously they had no interest. Large sites like Neogaf are a good barometer, as a collective it's been super down on GT Sport, so it's really great to see overwhelmingly positive reports.

There's a lesson for all devs, if you're confident in your title, give us an (almost) fully featured demo, and you could see a nice sales boost.

Last edited:
Well after two days of playing the demo I'm just not feeling it. It looks terrific, although it hides its faults well, the lighting is still what makes it, without the lighting I think it would be nothing special. And I love the presentation, very slick and well put together, it oozes quality. Whilst I don't get quite as excited as some when it comes to scapes I appreciate that its pretty damn cool.

But for me the driving is just dull, it doesn't feel exciting, the cars don't feel alive, ffb is average, the track surface just doesn't show itself. And for me the driving is the most important bit, it's why I play racing games. I'm still looking forward to getting my collectors edition and racing with people from all over the world. Yet I'm still waiting for the game that will do it all.

My feelings as well, i thought about posting a huge text nitpicking everything, but maybe some other time.

After driving other games and getting rid of many bad driving habits, specially when braking and or moving directions, it´s really disappointing to come back to GT and find out that you have to use those bad habits to go really fast in this game.

One of the things i don´t get is why they keep doing their own version of a rally mode.

It has always been the weak point of the series and now they introduced cars that don´t exist in real life as if they were running rallys anywhere in the world.

Mud and gravel have no difference and you get the same grip in the grass. There´s no deformation, and it feels like skating on ice.

Tonight reminded me just why I love GT.

Came home from work, and thought I'd try on line. 30 mins to the start of race I wanted to try, so went to arcade to get 'the feel'.

Started in the M4 at dragons tail, and an hour later I'd completely forgotten about on line.

I'd had a good go in the in the M4, another in the Alfa 4C and another in the Lancer rally car. All were wonderful.

The way this game models weight transfer is just utterly gorgeous. You can use brakes, steering or throttle to adjust your line so beautifully. On another level to any driving game I've ever played. All 3 cars felt so natural to drive.

Realism? Simulator? To be honest, I don't care how anyone classifies it. It's just joyous to play. And for me, everything else is irrelevant.

Bring no on the full game, with more tracks, more cars, and more customisation for set up and controls.

Played the demo a bit - Scapes mode is awesome,can really get some stunning photos with a bit of manipulation. Some backgrounds dont really work though as the car just looks 'stuck' on whatever you do. Depends on the lighting of the invidiual photo.

Graphics in-game look really good,a step up from Pcars & AC - the lighting and skies look really realistic.

Driving wise it still 'feels' like Gran Turismo has always done - a floaty feeling on the road and the same bouncy collisions. You dont really feel in contact with the road,and cant feel the physics of the car. Just not on the same level as Pcars & AC. I thought at least this aspect wouldve been brought more to their level after all these years of development - it really needs it or it feels just so behind and dated.

The way this game models weight transfer is just utterly gorgeous. You can use brakes, steering or throttle to adjust your line so beautifully. On another level to any driving game I've ever played. All 3 cars felt so natural to drive.

That´s an interesting take. Ever since GT5 they´ve always simulated weight transfer in some way, but giving you a floaty feeling like Magdelayna just mentioned, but none of this had much impact performance wise, so i´m curious to know if you have tried games like AC or Pcars, who also simulate this but with huge consequences on the driving itself.

All of the cars i´ve tried yesterday felt about the same - understeer, you can slam the brakes any way you want, you can machine gun downshift without consequences and you have to apply the same principles you did in GT5-6 to go fast.

I´ve read a bunch of good impressions regarding the handling of the cars, some even saying that it felt better than AC or Pcars, but i genuinely don´t understand what people are seeing in this game that i´m not seeing, in terms of complex and intricate driving physics.

I played it for a hour then went back to Project Cars 2, I think that about sums it up.

Menus are nice though.

PC2 is soo buddy, the game isn't ready for primetime, I had to uninstall that thing, they learned nothing from PC1 and I won't waste my time with SMS anymore. To each his own I guess.

I did the 30 lap enduro last night and the tire wear feels good, causing me to turn in more to counter understeering. However I did think it happened a bit too quickly, or it could've been the 911 I was driving. I think I will do some practice laps and emulate more tire wear with RM and RS tires too. While I didn't have to change tires during the pit stop I chose to do so cause I was afraid to do more laps as it was my first real race with pit stops.

Jerome

That´s an interesting take. Ever since GT5 they´ve always simulated weight transfer in some way, but giving you a floaty feeling like Magdelayna just mentioned, but none of this had much impact performance wise, so i´m curious to know if you have tried games like AC or Pcars, who also simulate this but with huge consequences on the driving itself.

All of the cars i´ve tried yesterday felt about the same - understeer, you can slam the brakes any way you want, you can machine gun downshift without consequences and you have to apply the same principles you did in GT5-6 to go fast.

I´ve read a bunch of good impressions regarding the handling of the cars, some even saying that it felt better than AC or Pcars, but i genuinely don´t understand what people are seeing in this game that i´m not seeing, in terms of complex and intricate driving physics.

As someone who's had hundreds of hours playing the PC version of Assetto Corsa from day one, GT Sport may not be at that level, but it definitely feels closer than ever before. The cars definitely feel different from each other and very different from GT6. I am playing with a wheel though.

My personal opinion is very positive, the cars are a joy to drive. GT3 cars feel excellent, even the slight oversteer with a touch of countersteer feels fantastic. The GT86 has that lovely oversteer but balanced feel.

I'm very impressed. Will it surpass the likes of AC, iRacing, Raceroom etc in the handling department? Probably not but I'm having a blast driving these cars and it feels great.

I never quite felt as connected on pCars2, but so many will say the opposite and that's ok. Everybody will have different opinions on what feels good to them.

Looking forward to the 18th for the full game.

XXI
Well, it's here ladies and gentlemen.
What's your thoughts, initial impressions?

I'm on a regular PS4 using the T150.

FFB is ultra smooth, wheel weight has a balanced, very impressive feel. I've had no clipping.

The UI is seamless, very user friendly and load times are quick.
Everything looks very tidy and polished, the menu music is nice and relaxing.

My first race was N100, Miata.
It felt like an improvement over GT6, still very GT in the physics department.
That's not a bad thing, the Miata was very responsive with mild lift off oversteer and limited understeer. It still feels a bit like the car is "floating" on track.

We can adjust TC on the fly, very nice. We can adjust FOV in the options, but not on track, not so nice. But the adjustment is there thankfully.

And my god it is something to look at. I've not seen any jagged edges, screen tear, coughs or burps of any kind.

I'll not make any in depth physics or comparision comments here, I think at this point we know what GT is and what to expect.

My very early and initial impression is it's going to be fantastic as they continue to add content, it's an incredibly smooth and polished piece of software we have here, well done.
Absolutely
what is your psn id? i would like to add you. I'm from Greece too ;)
Love it so far, I hope a classic tracks dlc pack comes, trial mountain, deep Forest ect
XXI

FFB is ultra smooth, wheel weight has a balanced, very impressive feel. I've had no clipping.

That's not a bad thing, the Miata was very responsive with mild lift off oversteer and limited understeer. It still feels a bit like the car is "floating" on track.

We can adjust TC on the fly, very nice. We can adjust FOV in the options, but not on track, not so nice. But the adjustment is there thankfully.

And my god it is something to look at. I've not seen any jagged edges, screen tear, coughs or burps of any kind.

I'll not make any in depth physics or comparision comments here, I think at this point we know what GT is and what to expect.

My very early and initial impression is it's going to be fantastic as they continue to add content, it's an incredibly smooth and polished piece of software we have here, well done.

XXI

I think i screwed display settings bcoz the car interiors look really dreadful to me.

Also when i scroll the scapes they look OMG but as soon as i enter into any scape the whole shine,gloss,depth is gone and i have a SD image to play with.

Driveclub,Fifa,UC,etc all look awesome but GTS seems pretty dull don't know why.

I must say that the game has exceeded my expectations. It might be only the demo, but the difference between GT Sport and GT6 is astronomical. I am also adamant at this point that PD's decision to take quality over quantity was the right decision to make.

It feels like a very down to earth game. No inconsistencies. Everything looks and plays in a very high quality fashion. I could go on about how amazing the game looks, plays and sounds, but I wanted to focus specifically on playing the single player parts of the game, since that's where my main concerns are.

Firstly, the campaign mode. I was expecting this to be very underwhelming when people started crying out that single player in GT was dead. For sure, the campaign is shorter compared to past GT games, but it sure as hell isn't underwhelming from a gameplay perspective. I love the diversity of the activities! Time rallies followed by endurance races with pit stops with a sprinkling of gymkhana style technical challenges? I don't think any single player Gran Turismo race has provided me as much excitement as just one of these challenges! The fact that they are allowing us to use our own cars for certain events is also a great bonus. We get to try out new cars, as well as test our own. A win win if you ask me. I think what makes the single player challenges more fun is the improved AI. I can't be the only one whose finding it difficult keeping up surely? I'm actually having to put maximum attack into these races, something that very rarely, if ever happened in GT6 for example. For sure, that would be partly due to the fact we'd spend most of the time overpowering the competition in overkill tuned cars, but what I'm trying to say is, the way that GT Sports single player has been structured makes the game a lot more satisfying to play from a driving perspective. I just hope that the excitement doesn't end too soon once the full game is out.... Also, I wonder if PD will add to the campaign mode in future updates. That is something I would love to see....

Now, custom races. PD, I praise you for adding this! Again, I'm not saying it's a worthy replacement of the traditional GT single player, but a very welcome addition to GT Sport is certainly is. I was fearing that the campaign missions would be the only way to make credits without playing against other people. The fact that GT Sport allows you to make quite respectable amounts of credits by doing races to your parameters is very generous, not to mention super fun! Finally I can participate in races with grid starts!

I must also talk about how overwhelmingly humble the menu's and user interface is (when there's no server maintenance of course). The museum pieces are an amazing addition. The game lets out a very laid-back, cultural vibe, which is quite unlike any other game I've played, to the point where I will just happily leave my PS4 on and let the game do its thing. As a designer, it's a great form of inspiration.

The thing is, when I'm out on the dirt course, sideways into each corner in the Evo 10 rally car, there is no other game I'd rather be playing. GT Sport has a 'fizz' which you just can't put your finger on. When I'm in the zone, nothing else matters. Gran Turismo is the Lancia of racing games. It has many faults, but you can't help but love it anyway. Agree or disagree with me, I really couldn't care less. It entertains me, and that's an end of it.

Those are just some of my thoughts so far. Gran Turismo Sport might not be a big game, but it certainly has a big heart. Maybe when the game comes out, the spark the game has will die out very fast, but it certainly won't be going out without putting a show on.

I played the demo for about 8 hours now and I feel ready to write something. Before I start, I would like to say that I've been very sceptical of the game since the PGW reveal and especially so since the Copper Box event.

Let's start with the controversial offline modes. The campaign is not anything like the career modes of old GT games, but I'm honestly not totally against it. Sure, it was great to have 200 hours of pre-made content, but did anyone actually have that much fun entering an overpowered car and racing against completely braindead AI? I enjoyed the little preview of the campaign mode in GTS. There's good variety, which is something I dearly missed in games like Forza. I like seeing longer races in stage 6, especially the 30 lap enduro at Lake Maggiore, which was the highlight of the demo and the best offline racing experience I've ever had in a GT game. The AI is fantastic, they battle with each other and the player, make mistakes and adapt their lines to the situation around them, like covering the inside line when the player is close behind. I also enjoyed the Arcade mode, especially the fact that it counts towards the overall progress with credits and stuff.

Overall, I'm positively surprised with the offline modes. Don't listen to the people saying it's an online-only game. It's not.

The game looks and sounds incredible. I'd say the graphics are the best of any racing game and the sounds are better than Forza. Especially the lighting is just tremendous.

The damage is singnificantly improved and matches games like Forza, although lags behind Project CARS. Finally the cars don't melt like candles.

I had a good experience with online so far. The measures PD put in to stop dirty drivers from interfering seem to be starting to work as everyone progresses their ratings positively or negatively. The penalty system also works well. I wish there were more daily races, though. Maybe 6, one every 10 minutes? As it stands, you really can't choose and have to rely on the 3 being to your liking.

The presentation, wow, the presentation. The menus are gorgeous and I love the museum stuff that pops up every now and then, I usually couldn't be bothered to go to that section in GT5 or 6, but now that I get it in bitesized chunks, I love it. The music is great. Good variety and I much prefer it over the pompous stuff in Forza.

Now, the handling. I'm playing on the Dualshock 4 and It's all incredible until you start losing grip. Then it's pretty much over 90% of the time and you go face first into the wall. The problem is that when going from lock to lock, the input will stick for about a second to each side, it's almost like a giant input lag and makes drifting and generally pushing the limits not very fun. This is pretty much my only major gripe with the game. The stuff I mentioned earlier on doesn't really matter that much.

Overall, I'm almost in love with the game. It's the Gran Turismo I wanted, with more focus on quality than quantity. Would I like more than 170 cars and 17 locations? Yes, but I'd rather have that many finished in exquisite detail than 80% of it looking like from 10 years ago. I won't pre-order it, though. I need to find out if the controller issues are just in the demo or if they remain in the final version. Then I'm all in.

Last edited:
Overall, I'm positively surprised with the offline modes. Don't listen to the people saying it's an online-only game. It's not.
But don't you need to be online to access the offline modes as well? Every time I get disconnected from the server, every single mode is locked, online and offline.

That's because it's in the beta. Once you have the paid version, they have already confirmed that you can play offline and Save.

I'll tell you what people's, this game is so freaking fun! I finally got my driver rating up to B and my sportsmanship rating to B and in all the races this afternoon I've only had one cheap shot on ne out of about 16 races....

moving from the C driver rating to the B driver rating I was in the top three a few times in the last few races and I need to take a break because my heart is pumping way too hard. Would have loved a campaign and being able to modify up 80s Japanese cars, but this will do for now and justifies my sim Racing Equipment purchases :-) that class B race today is super fun as well

That's because it's in the beta. Once you have the paid version, they have already confirmed that you can play offline and Save.

I'll tell you what people's, this game is so freaking fun! I finally got my driver rating up to B and my sportsmanship rating to B and in all the races this afternoon I've only had one cheap shot on ne out of about 16 races....

moving from the C driver rating to the B driver rating I was in the top three a few times in the last few races and I need to take a break because my heart is pumping way too hard. Would have loved a campaign and being able to modify up 80s Japanese cars, but this will do for now and justifies my sim Racing Equipment purchases :-) that class B race today is super fun as well
So we will be able to play offline and save when we get the full game?

I wish I could enjoy the Sport mode... I haven't been able to do anything today. The server issues I talked about yesterday have certainly not got any better.

So we will be able to play offline and save when we get the full game?

I wish I could enjoy the Sport mode... I haven't been able to do anything today. The server issues I talked about yesterday have certainly not got any better.

Are you on the European server? The America servers seem to be working flawlessly for me throughout the entire beta

This game was one of the main reasons for me to buy the PS4 Pro and LG OLED 4K HDR TV. And boy is it worth it!
This is how 4K HDR gaming is meant to be!

Graphics are insane. Sound is great. Loading times are snappy and fast! I friggin' love this game!

I'm right there with you with a Sony 930D, Bowers and Wilkins CM9 speakers and a new PS4 Pro. I want to experience and enjoy this game, above all others, Career mode may change over time, but I expect this to be the best looking title I've ever seen on a console.

So I've played quite a bit. I'm very impressed. Not one bad thing to say about it. One style of racing I found to be a little on the weaker side is definitely the rally portion I honestly struggle to get the feel For it. But sport mode... Love it. I've raced 3 times. Took 2 wins and a poll position. Then ran out of gas on one race lol. But I honestly feel the pressure I expect when racing other people online. It will be even better when the sportsmanship comes into play. The livery editor and helmet suit editor will only get better with full version and I already loved it. The scapes is a solid way to show off your cars in a unique way. Im looking forward to the full version. Should be a great few years ahead. The game is solid it feels good. Looks good. Tons of competition. Good people and it really gets the heart pump during a good race. Can't wait for the 17th.

Also. If you are serious about the sport mode. Want to share tuning tips and get a race team going. Add me up. Notes2828 on PSN.

I.

the fact that my clutch and shifter don't work. Come on PD sort these out, not supporting the clutch and shifter is just plain silly.

You have the same wheel (base) and shifter as me and mine work. I have the shifter plugged into a USB hub NOT the wheel. I keep forgetting on rolling starts to take the shifter out of first gear. Doh!

I now have about 8 hours into the demo, and a few thoughts to share.

I'm purposely switching back and forth between AC, PC2, and GTS.
I'll start with the driving sight line in cockpit.

Am I alone in thinking it's rather hard to see a clear field of view in cockpit?
I've adjusted my seat a bit closer, one click higher both of which doesn't do much.

It's also incredibly dark, to the point I've adjusted my TV off my superb Corsa settings to brighten it without washing it out.

The hood and roof views feel like I'm driving a semi/lorrie.
I'm also feeling a bit disconnected with my competition. They're on track with me, but feel like I'm surrounded by ghosts.

I fire up PC2, everything is easily visible and the racing is in your face. When I pass someone it feels like we just got into a backlot fight, not like GTS where it seems we shook hands.

I just don't know, the racing feels disconnected.

I first jumped in seconds after the demo went live, so it was really buggy for a while, but it's cleaned up a bit since (and the closed beta was much smoother, so I trust PD to sort it out).

I'm not really a vehicle dynamics expert, but I was pleasantly surprised how much the physics changed since the closed beta. Back then it felt like natural evolution from GT6, with everything having a bit more depth, and the DS4 allowing for more detailed input and feedback. It still seemed to have the same kind of steady breakaway algorithm for wheelspin/tire grip, and that's completely different now. I actually can't get gold in the basic acceleration tests in driving school without traction control on, it feels like I'm controlling a physical object rather than figuring out the best ways to get results out of an algorithm. There's a lot of un-learning and re-learning I'll have to do in terms of car control, but it was a really cool to feel all these changes.

AI. HOT DAMN, AI. The lack of competitiveness was my biggest gripe I had with the franchise, and there's been huge improvement here, at least in the custom race mode. I'll need to better familiarize myself with the physics before I'll know how significant the improvement is, but the fact that I was overtaken and struggled to keep up at times is a huge plus.

The livery editor is great, and the import tool is going to make it huge. The only thing I don't like about it is that there isn't specific grid/coordinate input for decal placement, and the color selector isn't as detailed as I'd like.

I haven't yet done any missions, but I'm pleased to hear that there's a fair amount of actual racing in this part of the career mode, so the campaign won't be as dry as I'd thought it was going to be.

The presentation of everything on the game is excellent so far, but one thing I find somewhat "clunky" is trying to find certain cars - I don't think there's a car search function yet. Before I realized the purchase function was deactivated for the demo I was trying to find an N300 car that wasn't available in the closed beta, and I had to go back and forth through a bunch of brand menus only to find cars in N200 and 400. There are times when I want to look at what's available from a certain brand, but there's also times where I'm just looking for a specific drivetrain or performance level and I can't easily do that.

I'm now beginning to feel a bit confined by the small track list, but we'll see how much that worsens or improves at launch. Even with the limitations in the closed beta I was focusing much more on the competition in sport mode than I was on trying new tracks and cars. I was really trying to lock down my skills with specific car/track combos.

Adding to above, the car list really isn't too bad. Some performance groups feel a bit thin and I'm missing a few cars, (918, Aventador, Ford GT, P1...) but it really isn't too bad of a list. I don't mind the PD-designed race cars, in fact I think they're really cool and adds to the diversity of the racing classes, and I've always appreciated the VGT project even with it's wild cards. Even though it is a lot smaller than past games it does a better job with diversity. And I don't know what it is, maybe it's the livery editor, maybe it's sport mode, but I don't feel the need to buy every car I see like I did in past games. I do want to build a garage, but I feel like getting little more personal with the stuff I put in it, making sure know how to drive competitively with it.

In the closed beta Sport mode had a few minor matching issues, but overall it was pretty great. I knew it would be rough (and my first race absolutely was) when everyone's placement got reset for the demo/launch, but like it did in beta it'll slowly iron out and people will be placed/matched properly, I'm sure. There may be more balancing to do with algorithm down the line, but I'm incredibly hopeful here.

I was expecting a lot of disappointments to come with this game, I still went forward with a preorder because I knew sport mode worked and was a good time in the beta, and with the livery editor and photomode there would probably be enough game there for me to enjoy for a while, but I really wasn't sure. I was worried buying at launch would end up not being worth my money. But after what I've seen in the demo I'm absolutely ready for the 17th. There's still some letdowns, but a huge amount of things I was expecting to be disappointed by ended up not being too bad, or in fact weren't even disappointments at all. There were even a few hidden gems like the mileage point economy system. This game really isn't looking too bad in my eyes and I'm actually really excited to see what sort of post-launch support it gets.

Last edited:
How do you switch it to the 4k mode? I have a samsung ks8000 and a ps4 pro, my resolution is set to 4k in the ps4 display options menu. But when I go to the display options in the GT Sport menu the only option available is the "2k output mode for PlayStation 4 pro console". "Prioritize framerate". It wont let me choose another option. Weird.... Anybody else having problems with this?

After trying the demo, I’ll wait to give my impressions once the full game I actually paid for is released. Can’t make an accurate assessment otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it so far. PD have really made an effort with the PIT maneuver physics for the AI.

They have amazing PIT skills.

Back