GT Sport Impressions

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 376 comments
well I discovered how to turn off TC... so now it feels a bit better than when I first tried it this morning. If anyone figures out how to use the TH8A and clutch please make this well known :) ! I still feel my t300 is too heavy and I set the torque at 1
I got my TH8A to work by plugging the USB adapter into the PS4 instead of using the one that goes to the back of the wheel! 👍

Anyone get the thrustmaster th8a shifter to work?

You have to pretend that your ps4 is a ps3 and you are playing gt5/6. In those days you had connect the shifter into the other USB port for it to work.

Don't rely on pd to take advantage like others do of the plug on the t300rs that the shifter plugs into therefore freeing up a USB port and lowering the hassle of playing with the shifter.

Maybe they will take advantage soon

It is the best video game ive ever played. With huge potential to get better. im a GT1 Veteran and ive enjoyed all the titles. The sound was my biggest issue in past versions and I believe it no longer stands out as an issue. Watching beta footage etc i had a few minor concerns which are now no longer, being the shadow darkness in cockpit view and the overuse of the new lighting effects in dusk and dawn settings.

What a clean example of a pretty dialled in video game. IMO alot of modern day AAA developers simply dont take the pride in delivering a pretty good version of the game day one i dont expect perfection straight up but it needs to be pretty solid and playable from the get go.

My only reservation about the full game is the nature of GT seems to be changing - there are very few ordinary road cars in the game, and these are primarily the most enjoyable for me. I won't drive race cars much, and then the Vision cars are a complete waste of time. Where are the classic GT cars like the NSX-R from the 90's?
I HATE and I really mean ** I HATE** the cartoon made up cars, Visions, Vettels etc If they are going to be a big part of this game it will be a huge disappointment. Even the Stealth cars and cars like the Tommy Kiara were pushing the limits for me.

Anyone else having issues with brakes? I feel like I have to stomp on the brakes to slow at all and it is on/off. No modulation.

I drove with the default ABS setting yesterday and it definitely feels overly cautious - it's the complete opposite to PCars2's ABS algorithm, which allows noticeable wheel lock-up before stepping in. After work, I'll try the "weak" ABS setting and see if I can stop more effectively with that, even if I may end up locking the wheels a bit now and then.

I HATE and I really mean ** I HATE** the cartoon made up cars, Visions, Vettels etc If they are going to be a big part of this game it will be a huge disappointment. Even the Stealth cars and cars like the Tommy Kiara were pushing the limits for me.

Let's hope that PD will look at the statistics of which car groups people enjoy playing and then focus on adding more content only to those. I bet Group B and Group X will be very unpopular.

Impressions:
-Graphics are great, always been a strong suit; photomode, scapes and replays are really impressive.
-The game runs very smooth and seems bug-free.
-Seeing an animated working pit crew is cool and adds to the immersion.
-Find it strange that they're re-using songs in the soundtrack from previous GT Games. We've all heard them hundreds of times by now. The rest of the soundtrack that is new, is really diverse and cool to listen to.
-Sound effects have come a long way, a step in the right direction. But it'd be nice to be able to adjust more individual volumes of the sound in the settings though, like you can in other games like PCars2 & AC to get the blend of wind/tyre/engine/opponents/music volume right and/or how you like it.
-Livery editor is great, no complaints.
-The fact tyre temperatures and pressures don't come into play sucks - if they're going for realism they’re an important part of racing which adds an extra interesting variable. They only seem to model tyre wear?
-The game might not have a lot of variety to keep it interesting for a long period of time though (small number of tracks without dynamic time and weather, and not a huge amount of vehicles).
-Visual damage is still not as impressive as other games.
-The physics seem pretty good, but your vehicle doesn't seem to accelerate fast enough/gain enough forward momentum while your wheels are spinning. Particularly noticeable launching from a standstill and on Mission Challenge Stage 6:1. Trying to powerslide around the sharp corners, as soon as the wheels were spinning the car would just slide way to the outside of the corner every time in the AWD Group B focus rally car. Just didn’t feel right.
-Cockpits are really dark sometimes, but I appreciate they give us the adjustable exposure settings to help.
-History lesson in the main menu is..quirky.
-Rally physics aren't good.
-The 'reset to track' thing is arcadey, not a fan.
-Not really a massive fan of hypothetical/conceptual cars, more interested in driving cars that exist in real life, as others have said.
-Playing with a controller, I really dislike how difficult it is to modulate the throttle between 50-100%, whereas it's super easy to modulate between 0-50%, which makes managing wheelspin more difficult than it should be. Right trigger is not linear like the left brake trigger is. It's been that way since GT5P (something I've mentioned a few times in other threads anyway).
-Steering feels a bit laggy near full-lock, even set to highest (7) sensitivity. [EDIT: After spending a few hours trying it, I’m really liking the motion control steering with the DS4. So much so that it might sway me on buying the game..]

At this point, I've got the feeling it won't be enough to pull me away from PCars2. At least until I get sick of that or price of GT Sport comes down after a while. Or if the large amount of bugs PCars2 has currently don't get fixed soon.

Last edited:
Didn't think I'd be here writing impressions but here we go... (good to see fellow GT5P nostalgics here @Stotty ;) ).

Most of this is based on GT86/Miata driving (+ a couple of GT3-spec cars)

+ base physics seem far better than I imagined - for sure not up to the better PC titles such as AC/AMS/rF2 but a big step up and competitive in the console space, and should provide enough basis for the esports aspect. Weight transfer and modulation feels sensible and relatively controllable, both understeer and oversteer are quite well communicated (although the latter is a bit more snappy than I would expect in some cars)
+ for the first time in GT (with the exception of maybe the GT Academy 2010 demo), sports/racing tyres don't feel ridiculously forgiving. Tyres also provide a distinct rubbery feel
+ FFB feels solid enough if a bit 'weighty' (T300RS - btw had to adjust strength all the way down, I'm wondering if this is due to the 100% setting made on the PC side). FFB also seems to be ok out of the box for most cars.
+ livery editor seems flexible and robust enough
+ Incredibly stylish presentation aspects and the (distinctly Japanese) feel of a racing game

+/- AI is more competitive but still hitches in places. Have yet to see how it races in an endurance aspect
+/- sounds much improved over anything in GT, actually at times rather good with headphones. Some environmental sounds are a plus. Still not close to industry-leading (although I do like the fact that they don't overdo the sounds in some of the more modest vehicles)
+/- ABS 'weak' setting feels okay-ish but doesn't really seem to convey the characteristic intermittent ABS behavior like some other titles. Will have to look at this a bit more closely
+/- quite excited about some of the racing / endurance aspects, (e.g. fuel maps, indicators, hazard lights, windscreen wipers, flag rules). The only question is: are these going to be properly used/enforced? (I'm sure someone can answer this already to some extent).
+/- I think I prefer the distinctly aligned content (i.e. a lot of Gr3/Gr4 cars) over more sporadic entries (e.g. AC has been quite guilty of this), and as anyone with an iRacing subscription knows, the virtual world is (sadly) full of empty classic car races. However the focus on the Vision cars should be either increased to the point where real, functional concepts exist (such as with the Citroen GT) or binned entirely. Like some others here, I would definitely prefer some classic (or 80s/90s) cars over the VGT content.

- if they devoted 10% of the time spent on e.g. the dynamic showroom aspects on the 'sim' attributes of the title...
- very limited control settings - for example, is it possible at all to set up a clutch without a separate shifter? Also had to modify brake mod due to the lack of a separate calibration setting
- does the (full) damage model matter enough to make a difference in 'serious' races?
- setup work seem more or less unchanged and I'm yet to see if the setup changes make sense (this stuff was completely atrocious in GT5/6). The assumption of an 'optimal' cold tyre pressure for each car is OK (saying this, there are racing titles offering countless adjustment options and frankly ridiculous car behavior) but of course detracts from the sim aspect a bit
- ovals and gravel seem like a total afterthought (who was surprised?) and should be omitted from the title. The driving on the loose surface isn't even all that bad - just wish they would make proper use of it

This game was one of the main reasons for me to buy the PS4 Pro and LG OLED 4K HDR TV. And boy is it worth it!
This is how 4K HDR gaming is meant to be!

Graphics are insane. Sound is great. Loading times are snappy and fast! I friggin' love this game!
Amen to that, did exactly the same thing!

Really liking GTS after a day of playing. Cars handle great, requiring good throttle control to keep on track, and the game looks amazing (I'd argue it almost looks as good as DRIVECLUB).

The livery editor is fantastic and is right up there with Forza's, although it could be improved by allowing for more finesse movements when placing shapes, and X & Y axis resizing of shapes.

Endurances look to be done better than any other racing game as the few I did in mission races required careful use of fuel mapping, requiring a decision between having more power or staying on track for an extra few laps, with the performace difference being quite noticeable.

I also really like the atmosphere of the game, with the stylistic menu design and music choice being even better than past GT's. I also love the few subtle nostalgic throwbacks in the game such as the GT3-esque daily car reward screen and the use of classic GT songs in the licence tests (especially for Bronze & Failure).

My main issue with it though is the lack of content. I know it's been well known this would have no career from the start but not even 2 days in and I'm running out of stuff to do, so I do think replayability will really suffer, although maybe having all the cars and tracks unlocked in the full game could alleviate this somewhat.

Overall, what's in the game is done incredibly well done, I just hope there is enough content in the final game to keep me interested in the long run.

Just did the Circuit Experience > Dragon Trail > Lap Challenge in that Jaguar F type. What a car, what a ride. At least I can control these high powered cars a bit better than in Pcars

Now pre-ordered!

I like the little challenges and trails in this, at least you earn something for completing them. I can see the loot drop-style challenges at the end becoming very addictive.

Just did the Circuit Experience > Dragon Trail > Lap Challenge in that Jaguar F type. What a car, what a ride. At least I can control these high powered cars a bit better than in Pcars

Now pre-ordered!

I like the little challenges and trails in this, at least you earn something for completing them. I can see the loot drop-style challenges at the end becoming very addictive.
Yeah, that Circuit Experience with the F-Type GT car was awesome. The sound of the Jag is very nice. The burbles it makes are very genuine.

After getting to lvl 13 and receiving some free cars I have to say generally I'm disappointed.

The online races seem to be off, being rammed into walls etc and you are the one that recieves a time penalty is annoying. It at times felt like a need for speed game.

The main sp content seems to be lacking in depth as well.

Apart from a few custom races there seems little point in owning your own cars as you are given one to do the race/challenge with.

It is a truly beautiful game to look at but in its current state I will look again in 6 months time to see if any improvements have been made

Pretty disappointed so far.

Car selection is strange- I was in a Miata race last night with 20+ drivers and only the top three or four of us were able to keep the things on track. These are entry level vehicles and most players can't seem to handle them so why is the roster filled with 500-800 horsepower beasts? I could understand that if this were a traditional GT title where people just want to collect exotics but this one is focused on online racing.

Force feedback for me (T500RS) feels absolutely terrible. It's serviceable but it feels like the forces are tied to the rear tires instead of the fronts- the only time anything is communicated to me through the wheel is when the back end breaks loose. Just feels really dull to drive but I'm not sure if that's the feedback or the physics in general. I've seen some strange things with the handling model that have me questioning just what this is simulating...

Scapes look nice but I feel they are a poor replacement for photo tour. You are fairly limited in framing and vehicle positioning meaning photos will start to look samey after a short time. The only saving grace is that there are so many of them but my point still stands. Being able to move around in the tour locations added a lot more depth to the mode than scapes.

The graphics look good though...

I drove with the default ABS setting yesterday and it definitely feels overly cautious - it's the complete opposite to PCars2's ABS algorithm, which allows noticeable wheel lock-up before stepping in. After work, I'll try the "weak" ABS setting and see if I can stop more effectively with that, even if I may end up locking the wheels a bit now and then.

I was using "weak" and that did not help much. Going to try turning ABS completely off tonight. Most recently been playing Forza, so I'm used to being able to adjust the brake sensitivity in game. I may just need to get used to how brakes feel in GT.

Played the demo for 3hours and i must say i like this game! The controls, the sounds and the graphics are awesome. On my ps4 pro with 4K tv it looks great! I hope that they will fix the server problems soon. If you want to race with me you always can add me psn: mrkvnn

Endurances look to be done better than any other racing game as the few I did in mission races required careful use of fuel mapping, requiring a decision between having more power or staying on track for an extra few laps, with the performace difference being quite noticeable.

Sorry but no, not even close to the best. It doesnt even have multiclass or dynamic weather/time of day, which is both key to realistic endurance racing. The damage model is rudimentary at best, so you dont have to be as careful as in more sophisticated sims.

Also I disagree about tire and fuel usage being more realistic than other sims, but your mileage may vary (see what I did there? :D ) on that, at least regarding the tires.

Well after two days of playing the demo I'm just not feeling it. It looks terrific, although it hides its faults well, the lighting is still what makes it, without the lighting I think it would be nothing special. And I love the presentation, very slick and well put together, it oozes quality. Whilst I don't get quite as excited as some when it comes to scapes I appreciate that its pretty damn cool.

But for me the driving is just dull, it doesn't feel exciting, the cars don't feel alive, ffb is average, the track surface just doesn't show itself. And for me the driving is the most important bit, it's why I play racing games. I'm still looking forward to getting my collectors edition and racing with people from all over the world. Yet I'm still waiting for the game that will do it all.

Yesterday it felt a bit better to me than today. I initially thought that the sense of speed is close to prefect but now I think it is just rather average. Online matchmaking is well made and the fairness/ranking element really seems to be an integral part of it rather than some marketing statement PD bragged about. It is fun to take part in competetive races as It felt like Top 10 of the pack honestly cared about driving clean. You can have a rather quick plug&play experience although I haven't seen a qualifying countdown below 5 minutes so it always takes a while to race start-everything above 10 minutes feels long especially on short tracks.
Besides that I don't like the idea of so many modes being locked behind the online wall. Everyone in his/her right mind knows driving school and little missions or what they now call campaign(sorry lol) should be playable offline...Handling felt good to me so far using the Dualshock4 with Traction=0 and Driving assists OFF. Wouldn't be surprised if I duelled with wheel users but of course we can't speak for the physics all cars yet.

Does the actual racing feel like a evolution? sorry but not at all!At least i don't think so
Did I have fun with it? Yes, In some instances but it is held back by things that remove the immersion such as collisions with others and collisions in general. You can't tell for certain when a car will ghost in front of you. It would be cool if there is an option to turn off ghosting for some raw racing. You people ask for a simulator so no one should cry over mechanical damage because you got caught up in one or the other crash, thats racing.

It is not a must buy for me but I know I could have some fun with it. I've not made a decision yet let alone pre-ordered anything.

Only played a few arcade races to get a feel for the driving. Feels distinctly Gran Turismo but as any game, gradually updated. Still intend to get more play time logged before the release date, but lately Assassin's Creed: Black Flag has been occupying my PS4 time after picking it up for 9 bucks on the PS Store. The menus are very nice and the "Brand Central" reminds me of the GT2 layout for manufacturers which I had always found the best of any GT. Visuals I think are beautiful, even on a 32" 720p Vizio and original PS4, so can't wait to see them on a better system.

By far and away my biggest hang up on the game is the car list. One of the most common complaints of the old GT5/6 games was the fluff cars that were the same car under different names, Miata's, GTRs, etc. Is this really that different? The groups are different, the cars are newer, but there's not really much variety between them. Just different race versions of the same cars. That being said, of the 164 in game cars, my Mazda 6 made it into the game, which is satisfying in its own way!:PAlso, there's WAY too much focus on VGT cars. I liked them back in GT6 as a sort of side project, but that's what they should remain, it feels like VGT cars are becoming more central to the series.

I love the series and I'm optimistic about the future, if Kaz actually delivers on his supposed "500 cars" statement then it could be a really great game, but not if we're only going to be getting more VGT and race spec variations of cars. Simply put, more road cars are going to be critical to the games success IMO. I get the whole "rebooting the series" mantra, I think it's good that the focus is being put on developing a better racing game rather than a car collecting game, but why can't it be both? The racing aspect of this game seems great, but why can't we have a great racing game and a great car encyclopedia as well?

Still torn about preordering it though. I preorder GT5 and GT6 and in the end, I'll probably preorder this one (payday is 4 days before the release;)) but there's a bunch of series I've gotten into over the past few years waiting for GT to arrive to PS4 (my PS3 bit the dust about 2-3 months after GT6 was released and didn't see the point in buying a new PS3 when I had a PS4) that have releases coming up. As stated above, my first experience with Assassins Creed has been amazing, I got hooked on the Middle-Earth Series after playing Shadow of Mordor on xBox of all things:confused:, my PS4 came with Farcry 4 which was a visually beautiful game and loads of fun, and now only about a month out from Battlefront 2 which looks VERY promising and the first installment brought me way more feelings of nostalgic joy than this GTS demo has. All of these series have upcoming releases, Shadow of War I think was released today and Assassins Origins looks insane. So maybe I'll skip GTS for the time being and enjoy my newfound love for genres other than racing....

....who am I kidding, PDI will still get my money October 17th:bowdown::gtpflag:

Back