GT Sport Livery Editor Thread

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 3,669 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found another custom liveried car this time a detailed pic of chrome GT-R GT3 and the Men's Health Alfa 4C with orange colored headlight. Both were posted earlier in this thread but this time we have more clear image and different angle :

I was wondering if we could change the group 4 and 3 liveries.
Seems that it is possible.:)

I have read somewhere that we are able to upload own pictures via a GT app or the GT website!

I have read somewhere that we are able to upload own pictures via a GT app or the GT website!
Hey guys, I was able to ask a journalist a few questions about the livery editor. He was one of the journalists joining the PD-press event last week.

1. Is there a way to import new own decals into the livery editor?
- Yes, there will be a way to do this - you'll need to use an official website or mobile app

2. How rich is the livery editor, like which color types (matte, gloss, chrome...etc) can you choose?
- It's actuallly very rich, you can choose between multiple colors, finishes (matte, gloss etc. as you've said), alu rims etc. The color palette is almost infinite

ok, so the second question was almost clear but the first one is the confirmation that we can put our own decals into the game!!!! :cheers: :bowdown:

Yep!

Hey guys, I was able to ask a journalist a few questions about the livery editor. He was one of the journalists joining the PD-press event last week.

1. Is there a way to import new own decals into the livery editor?
- Yes, there will be a way to do this - you'll need to use an official website or mobile app

2. How rich is the livery editor, like which color types (matte, gloss, chrome...etc) can you choose?
- It's actuallly very rich, you can choose between multiple colors, finishes (matte, gloss etc. as you've said), alu rims etc. The color palette is almost infinite

ok, so the second question was almost clear but the first one is the confirmation that we can put our own decals into the game!!!! :cheers: :bowdown:
Awesome! So it works similar to how importing images in WWE 2K Series i believe. Both require the use of their Website or downloading a mobile app.

For once, PDI have done something better than Turn 10 with their GT Sport.

I'm just going to put this out there and see who gets triggered by this, but with the amount of choice in paint, the selection of wheels (and tyre branding) and a livery editor that not only allows you to (semi-)directly import whatever decal you want but is also smart enough to correctly display a decal on both sides on its own..

If, by whatever miracles necessary, that's all true for the final version, even the classic templates-in-Photoshop approach should feel threatened, nevermind whatever anyone else has got. All we're missing is the ability to put stuff on the windows and, and I can hardly believe I'm saying this:

GT will have the most complete livery creation tool available.

Alright, so we can have up to 300 layers per car. That sounds extremely promising, but will it be enough for the more intricate designs? How many layers do you have access to in the latest Forza games?

Dan
Alright, so we can have up to 300 layers per car. That sounds extremely promising, but will it be enough for the more intricate designs? How many layers do you have access to in the latest Forza games?
I think this is more than enough, since you can just draw the whole thing in Photoshop and import it as one decal

Dan

Forza has 1000 to 3000 layers. However the vinyl and decal quality isn't as high as GTS, hence the higher vinyl layer count.

Dan

3,000. But Forza doesn't have a huge library of decals to choose from like GT Sport. They have to be made from scratch.

Dan
will it be enough for the more intricate designs?

For starters, talented people can work wonders with just two digits, and I have no reason to doubt any of the more fiddly/this-requires-a-whole-lot-of-stuff stuff can be done outside the game and thus imported as a single layer. And there's the already-impressive amount of fairly complex would-require-many-layers stuff already available as one. And it would seem that stuff that goes on both sides actually only occupy one layer.

I'll be quite surprised if anyone hits that 300 layer limit without going out of their way to do so. In fact, that person deserves a medal.

We tried to keep our expectations low and PD made the best livery editor on the market.

I just said it in @TS050's profile post, but I'll repeat here:

It has a lot of really good features, but it's still missing two essential things IMO:
-co-ordinates (an absolute must for consistent resizing/placement)
-some level of artist rights (ie. if I share something, can people download it and reshare as their own work?)

I'd also like to see the custom importing in action before I praise it. If it's an app, well, look at how the track editor turned out (at least until the GTPlanet community figured out a ton of workarounds!). I'm wondering what file formats will be supported as well. Will I be able to use vectors, like the logos already in the game?

That all said, I'm quite impressed with what Polyphony's put together. It looks thorough, and best of all, approachable. I've spent dozens of hours creating liveries in Forza over the years (a lot of them, ironically, classic GT Race Mods), and it really does give you a whole new feel of car ownership in game. Far more than some strange 300-mile-lifespan oil does. With GT Sport's class-based structure, grids will actually look like race lineups. The possibilities are endless — if you haven't experienced a good livery editor before, you'll soon understand why so many people are positive about them in other games now.

I think this is more than enough, since you can just draw the whole thing in Photoshop and import it as one decal

Forza has 1000 to 3000 layers. However the vinyl and decal quality isn't as high as GTS, hence the higher vinyl layer count.

3,000. But Forza doesn't have a huge library of decals to choose from like GT Sport. They have to be made from scratch.

For starters, talented people can work wonders with just two digits, and I have no reason to doubt any of the more fiddly/this-requires-a-whole-lot-of-stuff stuff can be done outside the game and thus imported as a single layer. And there's the already-impressive amount of fairly complex would-require-many-layers stuff already available as one. And it would seem that stuff that goes on both sides actually only occupy one layer.

I'll be quite surprised if anyone hits that 300 layer limit without going out of their way to do so. In fact, that person deserves a medal.

Ok, four quotes later. :lol:

Thanks for reassuring me, everyone. 👍

I think the small amount of layers will be outshined by the importing feature, depending on what the cap is on that on both file limit size per car, as well as size of the image you're allowed to upload. If I can upload just a single image to the front, back, left and right sides, and the roof, then the 300 limit will be easy to avoid. After that you can use that 300 for small sponsor decals and whatnot.

What I'm mostly wondering about, from what I mentioned, is what kinda of cap and restriction are we going to get on this feature.

Last edited:
So you can manually set RGB values? (Look at the box next to the pointer). I would like to see a library of all the paintchips with their official names in GTSport. Midnight purple. What is the point of the white rectangle?
IMG_0246.PNG

I'd say 300 layers should be pretty sufficient. The only time you can't really do the whole thing in a graphics editior and just import it is when you want to make certain elements of the design in different finishes. But even still 300 should be plenty.

I think it would be even better if we could make some elements/pieces in layers and then merge them in the editor into one layer or shape that we can also save. Then you could just flatten or group bits of the same colour or finish and free up some more layers again.

All in all so far this is looking great, the colour accuracy via RGB values, options for finishes, library of shapes and logos, mirroring, some form of importing graphics, sharing, rim selection and so on... this is going to make online grids look very interesting and varied indeed. 👍

This is looking pretty cool.

On the option of creating your own images, do you think they would provide a car template? I saw an image which had all the panels of a car spread out (might have been from Forza), would that have been created by a player? It looked very useful for designing in Illustrator or Photoshop.

The livery editor is looking amazing. I hope they can avoid the issue Forza has with theirs, where on track the custom paintjobs look like pixelated messes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back