GT Sport Mode need a Penalty fix asap, please Polyphony Digital...

Should the penalty system Get a fix

• Yes

Votes: 180 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 12.2%

• Total voters
Canada
montreal,quebec,canada
Yes polyphony digital if you’re on this form please fix the penalty system in GT sport mode it is ridiculous tonight in the FIA manufactures cup race every car finished with a penalty, we got penalties for no reason, we don’t even touch and we rub the wall it 2sec ???? , The whole room was B and S drivers after the race we all drop down to B/A drivers that is ridiculous,Can we go back to before update 1.15

Couldn't agree more, I did a sport mode race earlier in the day which I would have won had it not been for an absolute and utter 🤬 ramming me off the track and making me receive a penalty for the privilege which I had zero chance to get rid of, As of 1.16 the penalties are worse than day one.

The kicker, actually getting forced off the road, ie squeezing off at corner exit, and the penalty system does nothing...It only looks at contact, not behavior. Lose lose situation, avoid someone and drive yourself off and get a shortcut penalty, or get SR Down and a penalty for contact.

The finish line is fun though, every race is now who can cross the finish line the slowest! I think PD needs to replace the finish flag with a stop sign :)

The kicker, actually getting forced off the road, ie squeezing off at corner exit, and the penalty system does nothing...It only looks at contact, not behavior. Lose lose situation, avoid someone and drive yourself off and get a shortcut penalty, or get SR Down and a penalty for contact.

The finish line is fun though, every race is now who can cross the finish line the slowest! I think PD needs to replace the finish flag with a stop sign :)

Maybe a yellow traffic light would be more suitable than a stop sign.

Disclaimer, I haven't run a sport mode race in quite a while so I can't speak first hand for the state of the penalty system but I have been reading and keeping up the the general consensus.

20pfsv.jpg

PD and their Penalty System. Working as intended...

Edit: who tf voted for NO? Are there any PD employees on here? :odd:

As I'm fairly new to the game I don't really know how the system used to work but I can say with hand on heart that the current penalty system is a potential Sport Mode breaker, let alone a game breaker, for me anyway.

Inexperienced as I am I went for Race A yesterday (R33 at Tokyo). Did a few qualifying laps and started 4th and 5th respectively.
In both races someone at the back of the field didn't brake for T1 and I don't mean they were late on the brakes, they didn't brake at all. Both times cars were flying all over the place and surely enough; both times I received a penalty, 4 and 10 seconds respectively, and lost SR points. I drop down to the back end of the field where I fin myself surrounded by people braking for flat turns and consequently drifting through the corners, wildly out of control, resulting in me having to slow down to avoid hitting them and getting rammed from the back. Here, have another 10 seconds of penalty. 11 seconds, 12 seconds, 13seconds...

On to Big Willow and Gr.4. I'm in the 4C. Started 6th and made my way up to 3rd due to people running off. I pit on lap 7 and notice that the Italian behind me in the GT86 has more fuel than me and despite coming in 2-3 seconds behind me he get out right in front of me. It becomes clear that I have the pace on him and despite his best efforts to defend I manage to overtake him cleanly and get back to 3rd. He didn't like that and on lap 11 of 12 he dives down the inside on the final turn and bumps me off, resulting in me pitting a second time. I cancel tires and fuel and rejoin 5th where I finish. He gets penalized for his move but still finish 3rd.
I get no penalty, except the stop and go penalty from the Italian.

I've held an SR rating of S/99 since day 2 of playing but ever since 1.15 I've dropped like a stone. It seems every time I manage to claw my way back to SR A I get matched with the worst of the worst. It's a vicious circle.
It's the same scenario in every race I enter now; qualify 5th or 6th, get caught up in the typical T1 chaos negating any clean racing or good sportsmanship I conduct, leaving me with a sense of futility towards getting back to SR S/99. I guess I have to sacrifice some DR points or learn which races to avoid like the veterans seem to do.

It's all very demotivating.

Last edited:
Tokyo is high risk for SR... as the track is quite tight and there is no run off, there is a high chance of time penalties (as you get them for hitting walls, of which there are many). This in turn leads to people serving time penalties on track, who become obstacles to others. After you have dropped from 99, you will be grouped with lower SR players and there might encounter some less sportsmanlike behaviour.

They must fix things like this

PD can't 'fix' this because this is the sort of behavior they are encouraging with the whole "slow down/stop" in the middle of a race to scrub penalty time. I wish I had an answer on how to fix this but it drives me nuts that the penalty system encourages crazy things like that. I mean really, slamming your brakes seconds before the finish line to scrub penalties.. it's nuts!

Oh my Gosh, interested what SR is it.
It seems to me that such cases can not be correctly judged in automatic mode
It has detected contact between the guy and the other car who then leaves the track, which is a 10 second penalty.

I would vote "Yes" but the thing is, I don't know exactly how hard it is to program a perfect penalty system or if it's possible at all, but I would rather have an overly strict penalty system like we have now than a lenient one like we had at the start of the game, where you could receive no penalty for punting someone off or easing them wide in a corner. So I didn't vote.

However I think one thing that should definitely be removed is receiving a penalty for spinning off the track, or hitting a wall as you crash. Makes absolutely no sense.

It has detected contact between the guy and the other car who then leaves the track, which is a 10 second penalty.
Yes, in this case a lot of mistakes in the judging system.
Inadequacy of the driver is the main problem.
What is this patch? In 1.16 does not show the assigned penalty to another player.

Yes, in this case a lot of mistakes in the judging system.
Inadequacy of the driver is the main problem.
What is this patch? In 1.16 does not show the assigned penalty to another player.

Of course it is a mistake, but I was just saying what the system sees... I don't know how it could judge better though?

For me, other player's penalties are still displayed.

As I'm fairly new to the game I don't really know how the system used to work but I can say with hand on heart that the current penalty system is a potential Sport Mode breaker, let alone a game breaker, for me anyway.

Inexperienced as I am I went for Race A yesterday (R33 at Tokyo). Did a few qualifying laps and started 4th and 5th respectively.
In both races someone at the back of the field didn't brake for T1 and I don't mean they were late on the brakes, they didn't brake at all. Both times cars were flying all over the place and surely enough; both times I received a penalty, 4 and 10 seconds respectively, and lost SR points. I drop down to the back end of the field where I fin myself surrounded by people braking for flat turns and consequently drifting through the corners, wildly out of control, resulting in me having to slow down to avoid hitting them and getting rammed from the back. Here, have another 10 seconds of penalty. 11 seconds, 12 seconds, 13seconds...

On to Big Willow and Gr.4. I'm in the 4C. Started 6th and made my way up to 3rd due to people running off. I pit on lap 7 and notice that the Italian behind me in the GT86 has more fuel than me and despite coming in 2-3 seconds behind me he get out right in front of me. It becomes clear that I have the pace on him and despite his best efforts to defend I manage to overtake him cleanly and get back to 3rd. He didn't like that and on lap 11 of 12 he dives down the inside on the final turn and bumps me off, resulting in me pitting a second time. I cancel tires and fuel and rejoin 5th where I finish. He gets penalized for his move but still finish 3rd.
I get no penalty, except the stop and go penalty from the Italian.

I've held an SR rating of S/99 since day 2 of playing but ever since 1.15 I've dropped like a stone. It seems every time I manage to claw my way back to SR A I get matched with the worst of the worst. It's a vicious circle.
It's the same scenario in every race I enter now; qualify 5th or 6th, get caught up in the typical T1 chaos negating any clean racing or good sportsmanship I conduct, leaving me with a sense of futility towards getting back to SR S/99. I guess I have to sacrifice some DR points or learn which races to avoid like the veterans seem to do.

It's all very demotivating.

this 100% what i am saying look at my profile here from befor and now after 1.15 http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1522623

we need a patch asap

Of course it is a mistake, but I was just saying what the system sees... I don't know how it could judge better though?

For me, other player's penalties are still displayed.

I think this video is from the patch before 1.15. Because after 1.15 the driver who took off the track had to become transparent upon return, and this would solve the problem.

I personally voted for no.

I like the thinking of this recent penalty system. The amount of times I'm braking into a corner and somebody punts me from behind knocking me off whilst he coasts on by without punishment. This new update (from my experience), bumper gets 10sec penalty and I get 1sec penalty.

1sec penalty is of course frustrating since I did nothing wrong however in the grand scheme of things it isnt so bad. IIRC pre 1.15 in race A and B (sprints) sometimes just one incident alone can negatively impact your SR. Now I've had 2-3 of those incidents in a race and kept my SR rating which I think is a lot better. pre-1.15 I think the most SR you could gain in the sprints would be 4 or 5 whereas you could lose a LOT more than that.

I've had races last night whereby I was rubbing and neither of us got penalties. It seems to be when the contact is more direct if that makes sense. Once again, usually a 2sec penalty either way.

All it is doing is encouraging clean racing with the most minimal of contact, which is ultimately what we're all looking for anyway?

EDIT: One thing I forgot to add, PD MUST bring back the penalty extension if penalties over 5secs are not served! The amount of scumbags I see holding out and serving their penalties on the last corner apex is just outrageous.

Last edited:
I was in 4th place yesterday and watched the 3rd place racer deliberately ram the piss out of the 2nd place driver so hard he literally flew into the air across the track. Then in the lobby he laughed about it and told the other guy he "left himself open". I reported him but I doubt anything will happen. This is the kind of stuff I can't stand. They (PD) should review these reports and watch the playback and after a few times, these people should have their access to Sport mode cut off permanently.

I was in 4th place yesterday and watched the 3rd place racer deliberately ram the piss out of the 2nd place driver so hard he literally flew into the air across the track. Then in the lobby he laughed about it and told the other guy he "left himself open". I reported him but I doubt anything will happen. This is the kind of stuff I can't stand. They (PD) should review these reports and watch the playback and after a few times, these people should have their access to Sport mode cut off permanently.

But I bet his SR tanked that chances are you probably won't see him again. Let him have his 5mins of laughter, you'll be moving on to better races with better competition.

I personally voted for no.

I like the thinking of this recent penalty system. The amount of times I'm braking into a corner and somebody punts me from behind knocking me off whilst he coasts on by without punishment. This new update (from my experience), bumper gets 10sec penalty and I get 1sec penalty.

1sec penalty is of course frustrating since I did nothing wrong however in the grand scheme of things it isnt so bad. IIRC pre 1.15 in race A and B (sprints) sometimes just one incident alone can negatively impact your SR. Now I've had 2-3 of those incidents in a race and kept my SR rating which I think is a lot better. pre-1.15 I think the most SR you could gain in the sprints would be 4 or 5 whereas you could lose a LOT more than that.

I've had races last night whereby I was rubbing and neither of us got penalties. It seems to be when the contact is more direct if that makes sense. Once again, usually a 2sec penalty either way.

All it is doing is encouraging clean racing with the most minimal of contact, which is ultimately what we're all looking for anyway?

EDIT: One thing I forgot to add, PD MUST bring back the penalty extension if penalties over 5secs are not served! The amount of scumbags I see holding out and serving their penalties on the last corner apex is just outrageous.

Good post mate. I agree as well. Previously you would get 1 or 2 seconds apiece for contact, or for hitting someone from behind 5-10 seconds (regardless of if they had crashed and respawned, were serving a penalty or brake-checked). Now, the system seems to be judging fault much better, handing out 4 or 5 seconds to the culprit and just 1 second to the other party. The new algorithm supposedly waits to see the result of a collision before deciding a penalty, and this seems to be doing the trick now :)

Yeah, that is annoying re: the time penalty increase... the notes said the severity of the increase had been relaxed, but it seems to have been cancelled altogether.

Or, for any penalty over 5sec should be served as a drive-thru?
Anything less than 5sec would be automatically doubled at the finish line? So no sense to wait till the race ends?

That would make the problem of people serving penalties on the finish line even worse....
Are you sure?
I mean if you know you'll be losing twice the time, you better serve your penalty during the race, won't you? Still better option than losing more positions due to doubled penalty.

Latest Posts

Back