GT Sport physics thread

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 381 comments
Brainhulk
I have the pre order steelbook looking at me right now. Haven't had a chance to play yet due to work. But I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the physics model (compared to RL, past GT titles, and other driving sims) of the game so I can read it at work...

From the 20+ hours I put into the demo, and the other 8 I've put in the release, I think the game feels fantastic. Forza 7 in comparison feels very snappy and it's very easy to spin out. GT sport has a nice grippy feel, along with a very cool multi level on-the-fly tcs. You can definitely feel the difference between tire types, like racing hard vs racing soft.. hitting the dirt at high speed or bumping the Apex the wrong way will send you into a spin.. bumps in the track will lift your tires off the pavement.. I really think it feels top notch compared to the others.. almost like project cars on that ONE lap where your tires are warmed up but not worn out.

Forza 6 apex felt simple and easy to control and fun. Assetto corsa with controler felt broken and you can loose car on slow speed in straight line in seconds . gts from demo and now from full game feels just amazing rly. At least with normal road cars they drive just perfect you wanna better grip you take soft tires and no sliding in corners , you wanna more fun and harder start you take hard tired and you find yourself catching Genesis just in time . thats feels just perfect rly.
So for now thats best racing game yet. For controller at least.

You take front wheel car and you learn hoe to enter corner and how to exit and each car so diff. You take 4wd impreza or lancer evo and you find yourself even using hanbrake for fun and you feel all that power just takes you forward no matter what.
Its just amazing to test that all and feel cars. No matter how good assetto corsa is as sim its not good with controller and its broken with slower cars.
Forza was more fun and simplier to handle but lesss deepness to cars. Just take car and drive slide and drift.
Gts its just rly makes you understand what cars do and what you do to make them go better faster .still can have fun too , slide from corner if you want to

Last edited:
Overall, it's OK, but it feels very bland compared to PCars2 or iRacing.

- Tires generally seem to have too little grip. This affects all sorts of stuff:
-- Try accelerating from a stand-still with the N200 MX-5 without TCS and your wheels will spin like crazy, even in 2nd gear. IRL, a car with this little power won't have so much wheel spin.
-- Braking seems to take quite long, in particular getting down from 30 km/h to 0 km/h.
-- Very sudden over-steer when pushing hard in corners with RWD cars. Even the MX-5, which is supposedly very easy to drive IRL, snap-over-steers like crazy without TCS.

- Force-feedback is poor. There's hardly any feel for what the tires are doing, both with RWD and FWD cars. In PCars2 I feel exactly what's going on through the wheel; on GTS there's very little information. This makes countering snap-over-steer very hard.

- Suspensions and roll-bars are ultra-soft. All cars, even the Group 4 and 3 race-spec cars, are very soft. They also drive over curbs at high speeds without any fuss, whereas IRL cars would lose balance and spin out, or even lift off into the air.

In PCars2, I can drive fairly well without TCS, because when I get close to losing traction, I feel it and can react in time. In GTS, I don't know what's going on and I need TCS to drive consistently. :(

Update: I'm using a T150 wheel. Maybe PD implemented much better support for other wheels?

Last edited:
Overall, it's OK, but it feels very bland compared to PCars2 or iRacing.

- Tires generally seem to have too little grip. This affects all sorts of stuff:
-- Try accelerating from a stand-still with the N200 MX-5 without TCS and your wheels will spin like crazy, even in 2nd gear. IRL, a car with this little power won't have so much wheel spin.
- Braking seems to take quite long, in particular getting down from 30 km/h to 0 km/h.
-- Very sudden over-steer when pushing hard in corners with RWD cars. Even the MX-5, which is supposedly very easy to drive IRL, snap-over-steers like crazy without TCS.

- Force-feedback is poor. There's hardly any feel for what the tires are doing, both with RWD and FWD cars. In PCars2 I feel exactly what's going on through the wheel; on GTS there's very little information. This makes countering snap-over-steer very hard.

- Suspensions and roll-bars are ultra-soft. All cars, even the Group 4 and 3 race-spec cars, are very soft. They also drive over curbs at high speeds without any fuss, whereas IRL cars would lose balance and spin out, or even lift off into the air.

In PCars2, I can drive fairly well without TCS, because when I get close to losing traction, I feel it and can react in time. In GTS, I don't know what's going on and I need TCS to drive consistently. :(

With wheel i presume?

The physics are good. It's not on the same level as iRacing, PC2, AC or rfactor for example but what it tries to do it does well. I feel the ffb has improved quite a bit since the beta as well. The tracks surfaces are still too smooth so you get very little road feel through the wheel which at times makes it feel like you are driving on a cushion of air but that is the track models fault as kerbs and off track are transmitted well. The one big problem I have is the braking. There is just no feel for what is happening when you brake and the game doesn't give you enough feedback when braking.

Its very simple . take same ds4 controller and try play some assetto corsa with it eith default settings with some bmw m3 m4. And see how you will do . even after hrs of tweaking that controller it was terrible feeling of car rly. Yes i can drive car there and make ok lap but i must adapt to style that car csnt slide ever or you cant make mistakes because game just kills you and its not fun.
In forza or gts its all fun rly . in GTS i played with that genesis rear wheel drive and i could catch car when i needed.
Its simple as that rly. Its how you feel car. Not gt3 car , road car

Saw Gordon Freeman crushing a daily race during Simpit's stream, so it must be a pretty in-depth physics simulation. We're talking subatomic level stuff, quantum mechanics... maybe even string theory and whatnot. :P

Its very simple . take same ds4 controller and try play some assetto corsa with it eith default settings with some bmw m3 m4. And see how you will do . even after hrs of tweaking that controller it was terrible feeling of car rly. Yes i can drive car there and make ok lap but i must adapt to style that car csnt slide ever or you cant make mistakes because game just kills you and its not fun.
In forza or gts its all fun rly . in GTS i played with that genesis rear wheel drive and i could catch car when i needed.
Its simple as that rly. Its how you feel car. Not gt3 car , road car

I spent most of my time with AC on controller (sometimes when family permits g29 on wheelstand) in the past (with the exception of the beta periodes), and i feel what you are saying. After a while i found out for myself that i had to find car's in AC that i didn't have to fight (E30, mx5 club, tt-cup,elise, 4c, 190tc, 155tc and so on) with these car's and no assists (ok, factory) i had to find a groove and after a while i was able to run clean and satisfying (hot-)laps on Nordschleife...

So after coming back from the beta's i had to reset my "groove" and find fun again.

It is nice to see that AC changed my habit, so i am tail-braking more, find the spot where mechanical grip takes over and so on...

I agree with most, but I think they have adjusted FFB from the demo to production. Its not good, but I have driven a Peugeot around the different tracks yesterday and felt a difference in my T300rs every time the front wheels lost traction. It felt completely different (worse) in the demo.

I spent most of my time with AC on controller (sometimes when family permits g29 on wheelstand) in the past (with the exception of the beta periodes), and i feel what you are saying. After a while i found out for myself that i had to find car's in AC that i didn't have to fight (E30, mx5 club, tt-cup,elise, 4c, 190tc, 155tc and so on) with these car's and no assists (ok, factory) i had to find a groove and after a while i was able to run clean and satisfying (hot-)laps on Nordschleife...

So after coming back from the beta's i had to reset my "groove" and find fun again.

It is nice to see that AC changed my habit, so i am tail-braking more, find the spot where mechanical grip takes over and so on...

Same as me . i felt that fun feeling and enjoyment first time i tryed mx5 in demo. It was like: wow i can do this with car and that . amazing

I find the physics to be fun for an arcade racing game. I’m actually enjoying driving the Nordschleife with the DualShock in motion steering mode. Never thought that could be possible. This is coming from a person who uses an OSW direct drive wheel in iRacing.

I'm enjoying them ATM. I'm trying to use the motion controls of the DS4, and it works very well. I love that either using stick or motion controls, you almost never max out the steering angle in a corner. Total opposite in FM7, there I just mash the stick and adjust my line with accel or decel. This feels great, car look good on replays, have good weight to them. Would only improve the vibration to relay more of what the car is doing, may be limited by the DS4 though.

Feels good on wheel, not the best of course, but it feels right, everything makes sense, you feel the car leaning on the tyres, but the FFB does feel a little vague on some cars.

It's definitely not bad. The wheel rotation angles and the weight felt through the wheel in GTS is accurate, which is something Forza completely and utterly fails at. Forza feels very realistic when you play it with a controller, but the wheel implementation is terrible. But there isn't much feedback as in PCars2.

I think braking is the think I struggle the most with GT:S. Too easy to lock and you can't really push the car hard on the inside line. If feels like you are disconnected from the road when it comes to braking. It's hard to describe. I never had that feeling in PCars2 or Forza 7. I have a load cell pedal set. I know how to apply 80-90% brake. I can also see visually how much brake I am apply. It's like I am missing the weight the car shifting on the front wheel. I cannot use pumping the brake as a technique. I have to have a very long and slow braking approach to each turn.

I was watching ISR review and I think their nailed it. GT:S feels great when you are pushing the car at around 90% of it's capacity. It's the last 10% that feel disconnected. It's when you are on the edge of car traction that things seems to go wrong.

The lack of FFB is the ONLY reason I haven't bought GT Sport.

As others have said, there is literally no feel for braking. As such it's pretty much impossible to tell when the fronts lock until you get more tyre squeal than normal or you start going straight on, in both cases this is too late.

Also while the low powered cars, say < 300hp, the rear wheel tyre slip and weight of the car was pretty good, but as soon as you go higher than this it seems to evaporate completely. Strange that. E.g the Mx5 in my very first go on the demo was great, but the SLS GT3 car I tried next was soulless and empty.

FFB is so completely critical for pushing hard and it has become the standard for "sims". GT Sport feels very old by design in this.

One thing that confuses me is there is a vid of Lewis Hamilton playing the same GT3 SLS in the demo I tried. In this vid at 1:29 he seems to fight the wheel for oversteer. Impossible to say if that is FFB but I certainly didn't get any. What wheel is that anyway? A T500?

The lack of FFB is the ONLY reason I haven't bought GT Sport.

As others have said, there is literally no feel for braking. As such it's pretty much impossible to tell when the fronts lock until you get more tyre squeal than normal or you start going straight on, in both cases this is too late.

Also while the low powered cars, say < 300hp, the rear wheel tyre slip and weight of the car was pretty good, but as soon as you go higher than this it seems to evaporate completely. Strange that. E.g the Mx5 in my very first go on the demo was great, but the SLS GT3 car I tried next was soulless and empty.

FFB is so completely critical for pushing hard and it has become the standard for "sims". GT Sport feels very old by design in this.

One thing that confuses me is there is a vid of Lewis Hamilton playing the same GT3 SLS in the demo I tried. In this vid at 1:29 he seems to fight the wheel for oversteer. Impossible to say if that is FFB but I certainly didn't get any. What wheel is that anyway? A T500?

There's so much editing of the video it's impossible to tell what caused the oversteer and how it translated to FFB.

It's definitely not bad. The wheel rotation angles and the weight felt through the wheel in GTS is accurate, which is something Forza completely and utterly fails at. Forza feels very realistic when you play it with a controller, but the wheel implementation is terrible. But there isn't much feedback as in PCars2.

PCars 2 is very very vague with it's feel

My main gripe with Gran Turismo's physics is there always seems to be a gap between what the car is doing and what I feel in wheel from what the car is doing. This is probably the best one yet, and by no means is it bad, the cars behave like the cars should by and large.

Positives -
Cars have a good sense of their weight and how that applies to their vehicle dynamics
Grip levels once at racing speed are pretty good and produce fairly realistic results in terms of lap time etc
Suspension recognises kerbs etc but also allows cars to use them. I'd say that maybe they are a tad too easy to use in some cases.
Cars behave differently depending on their configuration.
A positive for the FFB - its certainly not weak and the lack of a deadzone that plagues so many other titles is great.

Negatives
What happens in-game and what gets translated into FFB is not as good as other games. You get rumble when you go over kerbs and the steering goes loose when you get the back end out, but that's about it. Its not bad but when you compare to the other latest title in PCars2 its definitely lacking.
I've never liked how they implement TC and ABS. In GT they are just things that cut in and limit your braking and throttle inputs, rather than the more complex and more accurate ways it has been implemented elsewhere. With ABS off I find braking to be nigh on impossible.
The lack of a complex tyre model is beginning to show PD up a little bit. At low speeds tyres struggle with forward grip, and in medium speed and on corner exit they can struggle with lateral grip. There is no tyre flex and in high speed corners you don't have that feeling of the outside tyres working hard like in PC2.

For hardcore guys who want to feel everything their virtual car is doing, GT will not do that for you. What it does and does really well is provide enough information and realism for a wide range of drivers to be able to play it, regardless of how well they can drive. You don't have to worry about building tyre temps for example, which for some is a way of having an advantage over others, but in this would probably put off a lot of people who would otherwise be pretty competent.

PCars 2 is very very vague with it's feel

You think PC2 is 'vague'? That's crazy, how much information do you want in a gaming peripheral? I personally think we've been spoilt by just how good PC2's FFB is. It transmits downforce building up and bleeding off, tyres slipping, gripping and flexing, kerbs, bumps, understeer and oversteer, with a distinct clarity that you recognise each thing and can take steps to address it.

That's why I say above that I don't think GT's FFB is bad, its just not as good as what SMS have come up with.

G29 User Here

The demo felt a lot like GT6 to me. like the "invisible hand of god" was always there keeping you going in the right direction.
The production version feels great, with all assists off, but the road car classes on those slippery tyres need the ABS assistance until I get used to it.

I'm much slower in the same cars, on the same tracks I know like the back of my hand. and I put that down to the cars feeling "on the edge" sooner for the same type of tyre.
Which was a big complaint in GT6, the tyres were too grippy.
now you have the feeling of a few inches off the racing line at 220kmh, you end up off the track, like reality.

FFB needs some work still, but out of the box it's adequate to feel what the car is doing.
I feel it's major flaw is brake lock-ups,
Having been playing F12017 and Dirt RAlly for a while, I feel Codies have excellent FFB for brake lock-ups

But that's just my opinion.
I've really only ever bothered with GT and Codies franchises.
Pcars 1 annoys me and just handles bad, I don;t have 10 hours to play with individual FFB and steering settings per car.

What format are you on? There are people having serious issues still with FFB in PC2.

Don't worry about some strange people who think PC2 is faultless, they clearly haven't see the bug thread which is 29 pages long. It's the most bugged release I've ever seen.
Can you point out the people that said PC2 was faultless?

The physics feel like an evolution on GT6. The biggest gripe I have is that there's no gradual loss of traction. Much like in GT4, car's either have traction or they don't. This is probably the biggest area of concern in GT's physics. Not to mention, many cars feel like the clutch is half on when there's traction loss. Very strange.

Back