GT Sport Requires an Internet Connection for Game Saves

Worst decision in the game by far - worse than no career mode, low track count, low car count, basic physics, bad sounds/AI, etc. Honestly, I can understand if online progress is saved online, but there's no reason why your offline progress/cars/mileage etc can't be on your hard drive.

Whenever the next GT rolls around and the servers go down for good, your copy of GT Sport will be essentially worthless. Nothing will ever work again, ever. I mean you can maybe still play a few times, but if nothing ever saves again, what's the point?

👎 PD, I expected better than this. I really hope at GTS' end of life the final patch allows offline game saves.

I've mostly stayed out of the GT Sport discussion as there's not too much point commenting on something I haven't played, but this is a massive mistake in my eyes. I understand that GT Sport is heavily focused on online racing, but to not allow offline saves is simply baffling. But I guess this is what gaming is coming to nowadays...

How many outages? AFAIK there is only one big outage, caused by this:
View attachment 679549

Plus with this beta, they are on pre-production stage.
View attachment 679551

So we are not supposed to expect the beta server working with 100% uptime.

But well, we are gamers, demos and betas will always treated as fullgame, no? :D

Even Destiny 2 still have maintenances.
One? I played the demo 3 times. I had to turn it off 3 times because it lost connection to the server and couldn't save the progress anymore.

This is really bad news. Either way the save should work into 2 directions:
  • Online -> Offline
  • Offline -> Online
But letting the player no option to progress through the game when there is no internet connection is simply not possible and it shouldn't be allowed at all. It is terrible and I sincerely hope they reconsider this.

We should make us heard 👍 and make a lot of noise on socialmedia (in a polite a correct way).

Last edited:
There will never be another GT game as was posted while back by creator this is the last and will just continually be updated so have this to play for long while, he also stated there wont be long waits for updates either but that remains to be seen anyway when this out. I will wait till after xmas for this as be lot bugs no doubt and few updates as soon as so well worth wiat see what problems pop up with this now....

Worst decision in the game by far - worse than no career mode, low track count, low car count, basic physics, bad sounds/AI, etc. Honestly, I can understand if online progress is saved online, but there's no reason why your offline progress/cars/mileage etc can't be on your hard drive.

Whenever the next GT rolls around and the servers go down for good, your copy of GT Sport will be essentially worthless. Nothing will ever work again, ever. I mean you can maybe still play a few times, but if nothing ever saves again, what's the point?

👎 PD, I expected better than this. I really hope at GTS' end of life the final patch allows offline game saves.

Exactly, when I start GT5 to do a lap at TopGear testtrack. It shows: "Do you want to login at PSN?". If you are connected to PSN, it continues by showing: "online features are no longer available." Why do you show the login message anyway? But after GTsport it will show: "Do you want to login at PSN?" and then showing: "It is not longer possible to save your game progress." "Please buy GT7" :odd:

LOL... how does this game get less interesting as it's release date approaches? How, diehard a fan, am I?

'... The decision to make progress saving online-only is certainly controversial. Although the major focus of GT Sport is competitive online racing, there is still quite a chunk of offline gameplay in there too. Since saving is reliant on online connectivity, it practically locks all this content away in the event of an extended outage. If you can’t connect, don’t expect to make any steps forward in Campaign mode...'

Dang... what a way to explain away the dumbest decision ever made with this franchise. Just when you'd think 'Sony Corp. has learned a lesson'. They hamstring themselves by not allowing not-connected game play to be saved? Did I read this right? How BOLD is this disclaimer going to be on the box art?

Why do they want me to hate them so much. PD, again, is this no longer the cute puppy that shoots dueces throughout your crib. It's the ugly duckling that wakes you at Oh-dark-30 in the morning with a frog stuck in its' throat... AGAIN!!!

Edit.
I need an emogie to brow beat PD and/or dagger eye Kaz into a reasonable explaination.

Last edited:

IIRC, Simcity 2013 finally gotten the same kind of patch after Maxis received so much backlash (mostly regarding day one server issues and online-reliant gameplay). Maybe PDI should take note from this (better yet, incorporate them into a day one patch) :nervous:

I have great internet connection except for when I don't which can be frequent because - 1: I live in an area prone to typhoons causing internet outages and 2: Comcast drops the ball on service damn near a weekly basis.

Come on people it's not 1990 lol everyone has Internet...
Besides if for some reason you lost connection just suspend the game and put PS4 to rest mode...when you're back online hop in and save...

I haven't been able to compete in a single online race. At the end of every qualifying I get disconnected when it says 'waiting for a match'. EVERY TIME!

I've only been able to play the challenges, licences and 'arcade' which are boring as....

Besides if for some reason you lost connection just suspend the game and put PS4 to rest mode...when you're back online hop in and save...
Some people actually turn off electric devices for the night, you know. I actually sleep in the same room as I have the PS4 and I don't need the light show, so I turn off the surge protector and everything on it. This is not even acceptable as a workaround.

If it were that simple, I would not have lost about a day's worth of progression in the game itself. I lost credits, I lost my built up driver rating, I lost the missions that I had already done and have to do over again (which includes the 30 lap race) and all of that meant I lost all the achievements that go with it... the mileage, the hours played, etc., etc., etc.

I know this, because I did have my PS4 in "Rest" mode.

Edited for clarity

Cheers

Last edited:

And what after a long session on GT Sport you decide you want to play a different game but can't, because GT Sport won't save your current progress and you have no intention of losing it? What you suggested isn't the answer I'm afraid.

I called it. One of my many complaints since the 1st day of the demo. This is a terrible idea. It makes no sense so ever. Like seriously, how does PD justify this nonesense? I said it before and ill say it again, GTS is gonna crash and burn. Theres too much competition out there that does everything GT does but better.

This is pretty bad. It explains why the demo started completely from scratch each of the 3 times I started it. Imagine the pain and frustration that will come in the first week or two of the full game release with the heavy network traffic. Lots of hard-won progress will be lost...

Question: let's say I make a bunch of progress, and then once I'm ready to quit playing I get the "cannot save" message due to network being down or whatever. If I simply leave the game/console on until service comes back, will I be able to save all of my prior progress then?

Imagine gold'ing a batch of challenges and then getting that message!!!

And what after a long session on GT Sport you decide you want to play a different game but can't, because GT Sport won't save your current progress and you have no intention of losing it? What you suggested isn't the answer I'm afraid.
*edit* Ahhh, I wasn't even thinking about that. This is even more concerning now! Many times during the GTS beta, after the nightly races concluded, I would jump into Assetto Corsa to make sure I still knew how to drive an actual car.

Last edited:
Buy your game. Five years later, when the servers are shut down, put it in the trash bin.

Really nice, PD. Here I was thinking of getting a PS4 for GTS, but after so many disastrous decisions, thank you, I will just save a lot of money. Bye bye, GRAN TURISMO, it sure was fun while it lasted. But now, it's ruined.

It'll be better if online save data is a stand alone save data than offline ... if the server detected a difference between offline save data & online save data then you cannot play online - which is better to me rather than restarting everything everytime i lose connection.

Edit :
Also in case your offline save data is currupted or data lost it'll best to redownload your previous save data by PS plus, but there is a problem - copying manually by memory disks helps cheaters to mod the data then uploading it to PSN plus ... but hey! ... if it is not related to online save data since it's a stand alone data then that won't effect it :)
But there is another issue - what if your previous last time (clean - not cheated) save data in offline was uploaded on an older day than the online data ?
This will make it impossible to come back online ... so i think ... it's best to have a saperate online career & offline career.
Where online career save data is only accessible online :)

Last edited:
iunno... I played Ace Combat Infinity on PS3 and the game doesn't allow you to do anything without connection, so I don't worry much about the GTS.

iunno... I played Ace Combat Infinity on PS3 and the game doesn't allow you to do anything without connection, so I don't worry much about the GTS.
So, person A does something bad/wrong/criminal. But since person B did the same, everything is fine. LOGIC

I was on the fence about this game but was having enough fun with the demo to decide I will buy it but then this...
It's not that I worry about the "server happens to go down when I am playing" scenario, rather the end of GT Sport when the servers go completely down and the game will be stuck there forever. Not going to buy a game that I can't play after the developer has moved on. This is a plague on modern video games that I do not want to encourage. I'm out.

Buy your game. Five years later, when the servers are shut down, put it in the trash bin.

Really nice, PD. Here I was thinking of getting a PS4 for GTS, but after so many disastrous decisions, thank you, I will just save a lot of money. Bye bye, GRAN TURISMO, it sure was fun while it lasted. But now, it's ruined.

This!

I still have my old PS1 memory card with my GT progression inside since 1998. So it would be possible to me to play GT1 on Mars in 2050 with solar panels, but playing GTS on Earth tomorrow would be impossible because my internet connexion is bad? I don't get it.... :odd:

So, person A does something bad/wrong/criminal. But since person B did the same, everything is fine. LOGIC
um... I don't see anything criminal about this. I never lost anything in AC and I liked that game.
And... don't all online games save outside your system? You can delete all save files from your console and still your online progress will be saved.

Last edited:
I think this online save function stops people from editing their save datas with pc softwares to make cars faster or something like that. it's annoying that we can't play the game while servers are being under maintenance but it makes sense since GTS focuses on fair races. At least they must allow us to save livery datas offline though

Back