GT Sport Requires an Internet Connection for Game Saves

Wait this means you must have only an internet connection not PS Plus right?
You will still need PS+ to be able to play on-line, however you will need to be connected to the internet and the servers on-line to be able to save.

Come on people it's not 1990 lol everyone has Internet...
Besides if for some reason you lost connection just suspend the game and put PS4 to rest mode...when you're back online hop in and save...
I play quite a few other titles, I have no intention of not playing simply because of a daft choice by PD.

I think this online save function stops people from editing their save datas with pc softwares to make cars faster or something like that. it's annoying that we can't play the game while servers are being under maintenance but it makes sense since GTS focuses on fair races. At least they must allow us to save livery datas offline though
They should use some kind of verification system instead, and if there are abnormalities found during save verification the PSN account are banned forever from entering sport and lobby mode

Currently having issues with this feature. I can connect to online lobbies just fine, but for some reason I can't connect to their server whenever I attempt a manual save. It looks like the online save files are in their own server, and said server is faulty.

This is a bad idea, they need a local save on the console else there will be headaches when local connections blip or go down and folks lose their hard earned progress. Not sure who came up with extending saving to only online when the bulk of the offline stuff has absolutely nothing to do with the ratings system in the least. If anything online should only be used to authenticate that the game save file was not accessed outside of the game/system environment, what's the point of having offline content if you can't save it when you're actually offline? I think some idiot at PD's security and online integrity group thought that everyone in the world would just take this as is. It's a bit of an over reach if you ask me, being able to use the game even when you internet isn't working should be a given. Perhaps they are assuming that they'd be safe from power outages which could cause data loss or just like during the online Beta they do something and mess up everyone's save data. They could potentially cause a massive headache if that happens months later when folks are playing and after doing some hard work PD server screws up and they lose some if not all their hard worked for data. Who is going to give them back their time? We need to complain to PD that they need to figure out something else to deal with cheaters but local save is a must for everyone. with or without internet the game still needs to be enjoyed.

Bloody hell, I have no driving games to play yet...this is horrible, it's like everyone is making good strides and then out comes the trip and fall. I cannot in good conscience buy this game. Thanks for playing, as years go on this hobby becomes worse and worse.

This is a bad idea, they need a local save on the console else there will be headaches when local connections blip or go down and folks lose their hard earned progress. Not sure who came up with extending saving to only online when the bulk of the offline stuff has absolutely nothing to do with the ratings system in the least. If anything online should only be used to authenticate that the game save file was not accessed outside of the game/system environment, what's the point of having offline content if you can't save it when you're actually offline? I think some idiot at PD's security and online integrity group thought that everyone in the world would just take this as is. It's a bit of an over reach if you ask me, being able to use the game even when you internet isn't working should be a given. Perhaps they are assuming that they'd be safe from power outages which could cause data loss or just like during the online Beta they do something and mess up everyone's save data. They could potentially cause a massive headache if that happens months later when folks are playing and after doing some hard work PD server screws up and they lose some if not all their hard worked for data. Who is going to give them back their time? We need to complain to PD that they need to figure out something else to deal with cheaters but local save is a must for everyone. with or without internet the game still needs to be enjoyed.

Bloody hell, I have no driving games to play yet...this is horrible, it's like everyone is making good strides and then out comes the trip and fall. I cannot in good conscience buy this game. Thanks for playing, as years go on this hobby becomes worse and worse.
I don't even have the console yet lol.

If you are playing offline, you will be able to use previously saved game progress data.
This implies the game does keep a local save game, but it's read-only. Probably to protect against cheaters in the official races. Most other games that have both offline and online gameplay have split saves though (so the offline part is local and the online part is in the cloud somewhere).

This implies the game does keep a local save game, but it's read-only. Probably to protect against cheaters in the official races. Most other games that have both offline and online gameplay have split saves though (so the offline part is local and the online part is in the cloud somewhere).
It does, you can back it up to the cloud.

It's frustrating that such an obvious solution wasn't considered for the demo, especially since it's apparently a standard approach!

Hopefully PD / Sony come to their senses for the full release.

Thing is how it's setup right now there is no way to save without the internet, so even if it has a local save without having connection to online to save in the cloud the offline save is useless as it seems the online save is what's looked at as being primary. So it works out to if you are online then your most recent save in GT Sport will be online but next time you use the game without a connection you will have access only to the last save prior to the last online save. Which is random as the game right now saves at nearly every shift through modes and in and out of your home. This is far too heavy handed an approach for keeping online integrity locked away from hacks. They should split the saves, I rather that than this absurd alternative which renders any Driving School and Track Experience data useless without internet since you cannot save or get your last updated save without internet. The guy who came up with this all or nothing approach should be FIRED!

Wasn't it discussed a while back that Gran Turismo Sport is 100% using the "Game As A Service" model?

It's a shame, though, that later down the road, the title is going to become similar to the likes of Destiny, M.A.G., and other online-only titles. A physical copy of the game will essentially become a relic, while a digital download will become wasted storage space. I hope that later in the title's life, the decision is changed to allow for offline saving, because Arcade and Campaign mode don't need online saving whatsoever (at least for earning Credits and progression; Mileage and Experience Points, however, are tied to a user's online profile/account).

Or, they could change the system. Progress made in any applicable modes offline would be saved in the system storage, in which will be uploaded to the game servers when the game connects online again. The biggest worry of mine when it comes to this is the concern for the ability to earn Credits regardless of a player's connectivity status to purchase any of the cars in the game. With Arcade Mode's Custom Race option, grinding for Credits can now be made much more interesting instead of repeating the same few races, but having to stay online in order to even earn Credits is concerning, especially if and when the title reaches its End-Of-Support status.

I'm part of the side on the player base who doesn't frequent playing online against others due to rather unfavorable networking conditions for online gaming. I'd still like to be able to acquire any car that is available for acquisition in the game regardless of online status and drive/race it as I please.

Yes I saw this as well, and although I am not really happy about everything being maintained online such that you can't even play the game if you don't have an Internet connection, or if the server goes down, it is definitely very annoying to say the least. There was a time while I was playing the demo that the server was down, and every feature of the game was locked out. So I really hope that with PD improving the server traffic or whatever it is that they need to do helps with this issue that we've seen. I know that overall server maintenance can't be helped, but let's not have server maintenance in the middle of the afternoon.

Thats it. This game just went from "I ll grab it from some sale shelf for 20 quid or so one day" to auto-no sale. Whoever came up with this atrocious design decision needs to be fired, even if it is Kaz himself.
I've gone the other way from no chance at all to yes if it is cheap and they update it to allow offline saving.

I've been with GT since the beginning and I loved all of them, but I just can't seem to get into all this online stuff. I just can't continue on with GT anymore. Forza, Assetto Corsa, and Project CARS are where I will go next. I hope you all enjoy this game if you're into what it has to offer. Goodbye, GT.

I've been with GT since the beginning and I loved all of them, but I just can't seem to get into all this online stuff. I just can't continue on with GT anymore. Forza, Assetto Corsa, and Project CARS are where I will go next. I hope you all enjoy this game if you're into what it has to offer. Goodbye, GT.
I am having second thoughts about this game as well, due to you can not save your progress offline.

NFS 2015, The Crew also uses online-only save and no one give a damn.

GTS, everyone loses their minds...lol

Unlike those games,
If the server goes a bit wonky at lease the stuff is saved.
Unlike me and a few others who had their data rolled back from this open beta (Which I do find odd that they called it a beta)

I will buy it. I am looking forward to playing it. But online saves only? If they can run a stable network, maybe it will be a non-issue. But if it's inconsistent, how many times will I tolerate losing progress? I have limited time for the game and will certainly drift away if it happens too often.

How much is too often, I don't really know. I'm hoping once every few months will be livable. Once every couple weeks...not cool. I got booted out of GT6 online lobbies a lot, with the resulting server re-connect, this will have to be several levels better.

I understand the reasoning on PD's end if it's for antihacking purposes, and if there is a better solution in the near future I hope they can implement it.

At this point, there is nothing I can do, it will either work or not. Lets hope they have the network sorted. I'll be running a wired connection on my end so I know who to blame when it doesn't work.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/gran-turismo-sport-is-extremely-limited-in-offline-mode/

I really think PD should reconsider this online save option for the offline content available in the game. If you use GT Sport mostly for online play than it is understable to store a savefile online but needing an internet connection to progress in offline gameplay elements should be prohibited. Or as I mentioned earlier, make it a 2-way sync.
If I'm understanding this correctly, this isn't an always online situation, as in the game is 100% reliant on a connection, it's just the next worst thing. 👎

Back