GT Sport Undocumented Changes Thread (1.06)

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 127 comments
You can't speed up while drifting since our tires are past the threshold of grip, at best you can maintain your speed.

That makes zero sense from a real world physics perspective. You're telling me that a car doing a wheel spin will not accelerate AT ALL but maintain a speed? Narp. This is bogus.

If it is actually like this in GT Sport then there's a physics issue which needs addressing.

Its not a glitch, PD made all the tracks have little/no props during time trials . There will be a handful of spectators and a few photographers . Some tracks have entire tents/cars/helicopters/grandstands disappear during the Time trials. It makes sense.
It's a nice touch. This little feature was on my wish list...

I still find the fact it goes back to the start of the page your on a little annoying, would be nice if once you have looked at or chosen the liveries you want it brings you back out to the one you were looking at rather than going all the way back to the top of the page!

Even Amazon on Lightning Deals etc does that....the pages are constantly updating so its difficult to do I would think.
This has been fixed I discovered last night, much nicer to be looking through decals or liveries now.
They just need to make it so it returns you to the start/middle/end of the page you were on and she’s laughin’ :P.

You can't speed up while drifting since our tires are past the threshold of grip, at best you can maintain your speed.
If you pass the threshold of grip you lose control the car, by definition. Drifting balances the car on the threshold of grip, constantly balancing between lateral and longitudinal grip.

That's the point, what I mean is actually I cant speed up to the speed that I need to maintain to keep drifting, before this update I can, after this update it becomes tougher and weird.

That's the point, what I mean is actually I cant speed up to the speed that I need to maintain to keep drifting, before this update I can, after this update it becomes tougher and weird.

Update 1.06 did tweak the TCS, so if you were using drift mode's default setting of 1, perhaps this is what you're experiencing? With TCS at 0 (which is probably more likely) maybe it just comes down to the physics model having more grip, as others have noted.

Nope. In GTS, as long as the tyre is in contact with the road it will have the ability to propel the car forward unless going completely sideways. In GTS the points go up at a very slight angle counting as a drift.

IRL the threshold of grip isn't surpassed in a drift, that's why the car is still able to be controlled. It's on the limit of grip or close to it.
That's why certain car manufacturers do "on the limit testing" (McLarens words not mine). They drift the car like crazy and it's awsome to watch.

Also rally.

Is it so that when people in front of me crash each other in a corner amd i past them under yellow i get a panalty and bad rating? I had numrous times that i get 5 or 10 seconds and orange rating and i did nothing wrong only passing some people that where crashed!?

Nope. In GTS, as long as the tyre is in contact with the road it will have the ability to propel the car forward unless going completely sideways. In GTS the points go up at a very slight angle counting as a drift.

IRL the threshold of grip isn't surpassed in a drift, that's why the car is still able to be controlled. It's on the limit of grip or close to it.
That's why certain car manufacturers do "on the limit testing" (McLarens words not mine). They drift the car like crazy and it's awsome to watch.

Also rally.

If the tires are freely spinning the threshold of grip has been passed, all that smoke is rubber being peeled away. Watch a slow-mo video of a dragster launching, the tires aren't freely spinning.

The screen when a car is randomly selected as your prize has been changed. The background is black now, not red.

I noticed that cars "dig in" when sliding on sports tyres, similar to how it felt in GT6. This is probably related to the extra grip available. Comforts, by comparison, feel a lot more supple, and grip will shift from each axle, effectively "walking" you through a corner.

I've not heard the threshold of grip described as the limit of control before. To me it's just the knee in the slip / grip curve. Obviously if a wheel stops rotating, you're in trouble, but otherwise things are perfectly controllable if you adjust to it - hence drifting.

That's just wrong. One can certainly gain velocity with tires spinning. Physics is real.

Duh, if the tires have grip, if its a free spin then no. Drifting is done by modulating the state of grip from 98% grip to -105% grip ( the grip threshold is 100% past that point the friction is eating away at the tire, not propelling your car forward ) and inducing a state of oversteer. simply put, in most of a drift you are past the cars threshold of grip. It is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to speed up when your tires have no more grip. If your tires have grip then it's not really drifting now is it? Telling me its "possible" is violating the laws of thermodynamics. When screeching and burning past the threshold of grip all that energy is being turned into heat/sound, NOT propulsion. Thus the threshold of grip has been passed, the reason you can control a car in a drift is that your front tires DO have grip AND the rear tires fall underneath the threshold periodically. Thats why drifters have 800 HP machines , so when the grip threshold is reached it sustains the speed. If you do speed up then your tires are probably within the threshold of grip and thus are no longer drifting.

Last edited:
Duh, if the tires have grip, if its a free spin then no.
Nope.

Even in a free spin, say a car standing still doing a burnout, there is a forward thrust vector from the friction of the tires spinning.
If you release the brakes on level ground, the still car will begin to move forward.
All the heat and smoke you mentioned are coming from somewhere. Friction.
Friction is grip, and unopposed, will accelerate the car.

There are two types of friction. 'Static friction', and 'Kinetic friction'.
Friction does not go away when an object is sliding, it is just reduced.

Nope.

Even in a free spin, say a car standing still doing a burnout, there is a forward thrust vector from the friction of the tires spinning.
If you release the brakes on level ground, the still car will begin to move forward.
All the heat and smoke you mentioned are coming from somewhere. Friction.
Friction is grip, and unopposed, will accelerate the car.

There are two types of friction. 'Static friction', and 'Kinetic friction'.
Friction does not go away when an object is sliding, it is just reduced.
The forward vector results from the grip threshold being met ;) IF so saws and rotary tools wouldn't cut through objects if there was " always grip" hence the term " it sliced through it like butter" Friction will always exist but it doesn't equate into a thrust vector. IF a saw spins fast enough it WILL cut right through an object without moving it.

Edit this video explains quite well why you can't accelerate ( and thus gain speed , only maintain it ) past that threshold of grip

Last edited:
The forward vector results from the grip threshold being met ;) IF so saws and rotary tools wouldn't cut through objects if there was " always grip" hence the term " it sliced through it like butter" Friction will always exist but it doesn't equate into a thrust vector. IF a saw spins fast enough it WILL cut right through an object without moving it
There were ten sentences in your previous post, and every single one of them is provably incorrect.
This post is confused, as well.

I know my basic physics, ... ask a friend who actually studied physics at university, and they will explain spinning tires and grip to you.
And as for this post, on a table saw, by trade, I can go through a cut list and a bunk of sheet goods faster and more accurately than most.
You're just confused.

There were ten sentences in your previous post, and every single one of them is provably incorrect.
This post is confused, as well.

I know my basic physics, ... ask a friend who actually studied physics at university, and they will explain spinning tires and grip to you.
And as for this post, on a table saw, by trade, I can go through a cut list and a bunk of sheet goods faster and more accurately than most.
You're just confused.
Drifting is an induced oversteer, oversteer by definition is the LOSS OF GRIP in the rear tires you no longer have VERTICAL ACCELERATION thus you can't gain speed. I don't know any other way to put it, the video I linked explains it very clearly too.

Then please explain to me how drifters get slower for a tight corner and then speed up and strech out the drift to the next, not so tight corner?

... I don't know any other way to put it, the video I linked explains it very clearly too.
It's not personal, man. I'm not trying to come down on you, but it's true, you "don't know how to put it."
I just watched the video, and almost everything he said is correct, but he never said anything near to what you seem to have taken away from it.

By 'loss of grip' he means the tire has broken away from the tarmac, instead of rolling on it. That's all he means. He never says grip goes to zero.
'Loss of grip' is not complete ... ever. There is no such thing on this planet.
A cleanly rolling tire has static friction, maximum grip.
A sliding sideways, or spinning tire has kinetic friction, reduced grip. It still has some grip, and forward driving force if under power.

Then please explain to me how drifters get slower for a tight corner and then speed up and strech out the drift to the next, not so tight corner?
Drifters can speed up because spinning, sliding tires have traction.

if you do a burnout, the car still produces some forward velocity. If you are sliding sideways with the wheels spinning, they will still providing forwards velocity in the direction the car is pointing.

It's not personal, man. I'm not trying to come down on you, but it's true, you "don't know how to put it."
I just watched the video, and almost everything he said is correct, but he never said anything near to what you seem to have taken away from it.

By 'loss of grip' he means the tire has broken away from the tarmac, instead of rolling on it. That's all he means. He never says grip goes to zero.
'Loss of grip' is not complete ... ever. There is no such thing on this planet.
A cleanly rolling tire has static friction, maximum grip.
A sliding sideways, or spinning tire has kinetic friction, reduced grip. It still has some grip, and forward driving force if under power.

Drifters can speed up because spinning, sliding tires have traction.

If you can find any part of the video where he states " gain" or increase" with acceleration velocity or speed attached to it please link it. all i hear is MAINTAIN and decrease. Also you can't provide velocity, you can only provide acceleration. you cant gain speed in a drift unless the cars going downhill.
also the tires are always in contact with the tarmac hence skidmarks

DRambo, ... > forwards acceleration ... but, yeah.
Going forward is not accelerating soo... A car going 60 mph for 3 hours was going forward and never accelerated in those 3 hours. It maintained its speed.

ac·cel·er·a·tion
akˌseləˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. a vehicle's capacity to gain speed within a short time.
    "a Formula One car is superior to an Indy car in its acceleration"
    • increase in the rate or speed of something.
If you gain speed in a turn you are not drifting

Nice video, mixed with first hand technical information to not so right (or half true) physics explanations. Can't be taken one to one as fact on physics, going under the fence on many parts.

Going forward is not accelerating soo... A car going 60 mph for 3 hours was going forward and never accelerated in those 3 hours. It maintained its speed.

ac·cel·er·a·tion
akˌseləˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. a vehicle's capacity to gain speed within a short time.
    "a Formula One car is superior to an Indy car in its acceleration"
    • increase in the rate or speed of something.
If you gain speed in a turn you are not drifting

Put simply, you are wrong. A tyre spinning still has friction, just less than one not spinning. Acceleration is achieved.

As said earlier, if a car is doing a burnout it will still accelerate - if you don't believe me, try it in a real car - or watch this from 0:30.

Not the best video in the world, but if you watch and listen you will see/ hear that the car's rear tyres 'spin freely' (your term, not mine) and yet the car still accelerates.

- When using cockpit view, the movement of the driver's hands react much slower to steering input.

Just to elaborate on this, the 'spot' above the rev counter moves at the same slower speed. I wonder if this is actually a part of the physics change and the wheels not moving as quickly. I haven't investigated, but as said the little red dot that moves back and forth mirrors the movement speed of the hands on the wheel.

Just to elaborate on this, the 'spot' above the rev counter moves at the same slower speed. I wonder if this is actually a part of the physics change and the wheels not moving as quickly. I haven't investigated, but as said the little red dot that moves back and forth mirrors the movement speed of the hands on the wheel.
That red dot has not been representative of the actual steering angle (at the wheels) since launch. I was trying to diagnose the countersteer issues on the DS4 and quickly learned it was useless, as it seemed filtered in some way :D

Back