GT Sport Update 1.59 Arrives, Adds Mazda RX-Vision GT3

Check brand central.

Patrick Dempsey is gone.

gts-22.jpg

Gran Turismo is the last place i would expect to see Patrick Dempsey but here we are :lol:

Sunday Cup
Red Bull Ring x 2 laps
Monza x 2 laps

Clubman Cup
Spa x 3 laps
Mount Panorama x 3 laps

Nostalgic 1979
Laguna Seca x 6 laps
Catalunya x 6 laps

Gr.3 Endurance
Nordscheife x 60 mins - Fuel x 2 Tyres x 4

Yay for a 2nd Mount Panorama race.

About time Mount Panorama made another appearance in GT League. The new events are actually the only thing that interests me in this update. I'd have been all over it if there were two or three "normal" cars like the February update. We knew 2020 was going to modest in the DLC department, but I never imagined Brand Central would turn into tumbleweed heaven overnight. The Mazda concept car doesn't cut it for me, and I don't even consider myself picky.

Good little selection of events added.

I ran the new Bathurst Clubman Cup event in a lightly tuned (N200 Max) AE86 for an easy and enjoyable win, and both Nostalgia 1979 races in the Jag XJ13, also both easy wins.

Catalunya is surprisingly fun in the old beast but be prepared to brake veeeeery early for the hairpin at the start of S3. Laguna Seca was also surprisingly flowy - corkscrew took a couple of guesses though.

Ooh....they’ve lightened up my Vipers a bit.

But I’m tempted by the Gr.4 Corvette now. It wasn’t that bad before and now it’s lighter and more powerful.

But wait...RCZ needed more power? Really?

A family friend that has won multiple car shows, he said to me once, "If you see a car you don't like, don't comment. Just walk by. Some people spend all their time polishing their treasure, why let your last words to them, leave a mark?".

Telling someone at a car show that you don't like their car would be unnecessarily rude. Leaving negative feedback for a video game isn't as long as people keep it civilized.

Fake cars in my fake video game where I fake drive fake cars on fake tracks with my fake steering wheel. Wow, such a tragedy.
I do share your hatred for the virtual cars especially when they don’t have a cockpit view!!!! 🤬

But.... I have to say that there are a few this one included, that seem like they could be real cars, something like a Le Mans hypercar for the 2021 season . The grill and squinting eye headlights are an extreme and highly stylised version of what current Mazdas have. Even if it’s just a concept brought to life, it’s a window into the design houses and a hint what is to come design wise. It’s quite a unique project and even though I think most of the cars suck, I’m glad the VGT’s exist, we might not see how important these imaginary cars really are until the future... whoa !?!?!:eek:

I might just have talked myself round to say that VGT’s are a good thing? :confused:

Thought I'd blown the last lap in the Endurance race making a few mistakes, was over 20 secs behind and catch the dude going onto the big straight, like he was waiting for me, I was 1 minute down at one point, a good few spin outs, the 7 races added took my Gt campaign wins too 500.

Havent played a league in a while but yeah thats my experience too... some terrible rubber banding... I got 15 secs in front of the rabbit on lap 2 because they stuffed a corner and yet they gained back 10 secs in one lap... on Bathurst! HOW? There's not enough opportunity to pull that much time.

So sad to see TAG Heuer gone. I'm not a big watch aficionado but having the logo besides the timing screens in races really makes it look more classy and professional just like a real race. I thought the timer box looked a bit shorter than usual when driving but I can't quite figure out why until I saw this thread :lol:

Anyway, did some quickfire tests to compare the two Gr.3 Mazdas (all with BOP):

Laptime (Barcelona, 2 laps, 1x fuel & tyre)
Atenza 1.47.5 (speed trap 253 km/h, grid launch poor)
RXV 1.47.3 (speed trap 258 km/h, grid launch better but still not great)
Note Barcelona is probably one of Atenza's strongest tracks so the difference should be even bigger on more speed dependent tracks.

Top speed (Tokyo East main straight)
Atenza 269 km/h (one of the slowest cars along with RS01, Evo, WRX)
RXV 279 km/h (one of the fastest cars close to Supra, Ford GT)

Tyre wear (Bathurst, 1 lap, RSS, 50x tyre)
Atenza fronts down to 50%, rear similar
RXV fronts down to 60%, rear down 50% (!)

Fuel consumption (Bathurst, 1 lap, 50x fuel, rev to redline)
Atenza ran out on backstraight just after crest
RXV ran out earlier on backstraight in the dip before the crest (also note that unlike the Atenza, you can't really short shift due to the high powerband)

Handling
Atenza - the added weight with the new BOP really nerfed this car, feels quite ponderous now. Stable on entry but lack of weight over the rears and high power means it can get skittish on exit if you're not careful with throttle.
RXV - feels a lot lighter and lower centre of gravity, but has a funky corner entry oversteer like MR cars (probably due to 48:52 weight dist). Need front brake bias to compensate and careful trail braking. Corner exit is absolutely planted though.

Conclusion
With the added weight, the Atenza is seriously nerfed now. The RXV has better top speed, better handling (if you can manage the entry oversteer), and better front tyre wear. The only races where the Atenza might be beneficial are fuel saving races, and tracks with rear limited wear. I don't think the RXV is as OP as the likes of Supra/AMG/GT-R, but we'll see. Meanwhile, the Atenza Gr.4 is still woefully slow...

Last edited:
Just tested out the car at Fuji just to get a feel for it. Wow it was (at least for me) very tail happy, even on softer tires. Had to be very wary of how hard you stomp the gas/brake, or even dodge traffic and accidents with the car as well, or you yourself will become an accident. It does take a while to get the setup just right, but it is very rewarding tho when you get it right!

Last edited:

Took the new Mazda out on the ring for a bit of a try, quite like how the car drives. You have to be awake to drive this car, it's quite bitey on the limit and can get loose under braking if you're not careful. Was really hoping it might stack well against the other flavour of the month cars for sport mode but it falls far behind the dominant GTR/Atenza (at least for the upcoming nations cup).

Took the new Mazda out on the ring for a bit of a try, quite like how the car drives. You have to be awake to drive this car, it's quite bitey on the limit and can get loose under braking if you're not careful. Was really hoping it might stack well against the other flavour of the month cars for sport mode but it falls far behind the dominant GTR/Atenza (at least for the upcoming nations cup).

"It is forbidden to place cones in Nurburgring" :sly:

I beat GT-Rs and the Atenza in my Nations races this evening. Also goes good at Spa. 👍

Yay for a 2nd Mount Panorama race.
I think this is the 3rd Mount Panorama race. The track already appears in the Amateur League World Hatchback Championship and in the Gr.3 Endurance Series.
It's the track I find hardest of all, so maybe I should practice in the new Clubman Cup race to try to get to grips with it! :boggled:

I beat GT-Rs and the Atenza in my Nations races this evening. Also goes good at Spa. 👍

I might need to rethink my stance on the RX-Vision, one of the RX-Visions got podium in the early slot today.

Back