GT Sport vs Other Games: Comparison Video Thread

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 2,529 comments
I hear a lot of distaste for how loud the whine is of the straight cut transmission, but if you look up video of in cockpit view of gt3 cars with a dog box you'll understand just how authentic the volume level of GTS' gear box whine actually sounds.

Kinda. But there's a couple of things wrong with that.

Firstly, in real life you'd have a helmet and ear protection dampening the most unpleasant high pitched end of the noise, so no real driver actually races listening to the cars like they sound in a video.

Secondly, it's a game and it's supposed to be fun. As much as I hate to say it, if the sounds are actively unpleasant to listen to when purely realistic then perhaps it would be a good idea to change them a bit. While the character of the sound is important, I think it's more important that the sound be pleasant to listen to for long periods than it is that it be strictly accurate, particularly if it's nails-down-a-chalkboard painful to hear.

Apex certainly bests GT by a large margin, although you should post the PC specs to be fair. I'm running Apex in 4K and 60Hz frame rates with everything maxed out and it looks stunning. GT Sport isn't even close and that's comparing a free game Microsoft released last year to a game PD has spent more than three years on and doesn't even have a release date for. If FM7 builds on Apex it will become the benchmark that the others are going have to try and beat.

I agree. Having recently upgraded my PC to achieve similar performance, Apex knocks seven bells out of pretty much everything. Even Horizon at Ultra/60fps is absolutely stunning. GTS is good looking, but it just can't compete with that sort of hardware power.

Yes it is a pain to have to do it in the first place, but pick a car and give it a go, most people find it utterly changes the FFB in PCars for the better.

pCARS is unfortunately a really, really good driving game that tries incredibly hard to drive people away with it's poorly set up control scheme. It's entirely possible to get it feeling as good as anything on the market, it just takes time. Which to be fair, shouldn't be necessary, but I think a lot of people miss out on just how good it is because the terribel controls are getting in the way.

So I'm D1G and I don't know what speed to enter a corner?

With that appeal to your own authority I would say so, yes.

There is something broken between Poly and its fans. First time I see that much negativity towards Poly, bias against GT are common now. (for obvious reason, we've seen the same flaws for years.)

It's mostly here and by the usual suspects.

It's mostly here and by the usual suspects.

Have you recently read the comments on their Facebook page? It's not just here. All my longterm sim racing guys are not looking forward to this game, even though we had several leagues in both gt5 and 6. Not one of them played the demo more than 2-3 days.

@psychoazubi Social media is basically troll central. I find places like GAF to be excited for the game. My post isn't meant to generalize GTP (it kinda looks like it) but I think overall here, the opinion is more positive than negative.

@psychoazubi Social media is basically troll central. I find places like GAF to be excited for the game. My post isn't meant to generalize GTP (it kinda looks like it) but I think overall here, the opinion is more positive than negative.
Definitely more positive than negative. Compared to GT5. . . I remember the first six months after GT5 released like it was yesterday. Scary times. The photo mode kept most people from turning into rabid dogs.

I'm also D1G and I struggled with PCARS and AC because of bad habits learned from GT.
But now I can induce and control oversteer in both, and recently when I tried playing GT6 after 2 years away from it, I couldn't believe the difference.
I'm only a lowly D2G and D1B before that, but my experience was the same. I struggled mightily in AC for a couple of weeks before I stopped fighting and started listening to the car and then it all came together. The feeling of control on the edge was incredible. GT had always felt numb and lifeless on the edge and I learned to control it there mainly through muscle memory and visual cues whereas with AC and PCars I could feel my way around the track.

VS assetto corsa

Onboard sounds are similar on both, but GT sounds much more acoustic (it reminds me of Driveclub). I think thats how we really hear the sound inside a car with windows closed. However, the difference in replay is absurd. Just listen to GT.. there's not much going on. The sample is being pitched up and down, and there's a random reverb. That's all I hear. Assetto team is doing a better job simulating the exhaust and spatial position.

Any beta is usually based on the "main" code (software) and the idea is to get people feedback about bugs and/or enhancements needed for the final release. Of course, this main code is not final by any means but it is the most "stable" one that's why we have the beta now. Time used between/during betas is usually spent polishing/enhancing the main code even further to be a stable as possible. In today's world nothing is really final even when officially released that's why you see bugs fixes, enhancements, DLCs...etc when new updates are out.
Project cars 1 was notoriously buggy on Consoles and PC and slightly mad studios decided to ditch its support after less than a year.
Back the point, is it fair to compare them today? No.
Anyways, project cars 2 and GTSport will go head to head when they are out and someone is already gaining money and social media exposure because it is a very controversial video comparison.

Anyways, PD should try to work on the cars sound because it is quite off if you ask me.

If you're wondering why the car in GTS seems to be much smoother and less jumpy, it's because Gran Turismo's renditions of tracks are generally much smoother and flatter than other game's tracks.

I was thinking the same thing and
would only add gts tracks are spotless. There's hardly a mark to be seen anywhere. In 2017 smh

Why do some rwd cars in AC not drive like they have rear wheel steering in reverse?

I'm only a lowly D2G and D1B before that, but my experience was the same. I struggled mightily in AC for a couple of weeks before I stopped fighting and started listening to the car and then it all came together. The feeling of control on the edge was incredible. GT had always felt numb and lifeless on the edge and I learned to control it there mainly through muscle memory and visual cues whereas with AC and PCars I could feel my way around the track.
Have you (or anyone else in here) played AC on XB1? Is it the same?
My Ruf floats like a buick, the 97(ish) M3 floats like a 67 Cadillac. It's borderline comical.

I am trying more cars though, but I certainly don't see any magic in the physics of this game vs Pcars or FM. Basically, the steering feels wrong. Maybe it's another setting, who knows, but if the steering is off, well we're driving...It's all wrong if the steering is wrong.

I can't do it so it must be broken!
Precisely.
Fun Fact: When I used how good I was at GT6 to say the physics were wrong (in GT6) because I couldn't slide the rear properly(in GT6), some of the people in this thread agreed with the sentiment.
Is that Ironic?

I'm also D1G and I struggled with PCARS and AC because of bad habits learned from GT.
But now I can induce and control oversteer in both, and recently when I tried playing GT6 after 2 years away from it, I couldn't believe the difference.
Just because you can learn it doesn't make it real. If you already know driving principles and how to drive fast, the learning curve shouldn't be steep.
If you learned racing from Gran Turismo, then yes you could have some issues, but GT isn't that bad.

So you're using GT as a benchmark?

I've had the back end of cars kick out many, many times on track and sometimes it's easy to gather in and other times it's not, it depends on the angle, tyre, track surface and a load of other factors.
I'm using the "I'm really really good at racing games, so I should be really good at racing games" as a benchmark.

Now tell me, how many times did you fully spin out and lose control? What percent? 90%? I bet not.
I bet nobody telling me I'm wrong has lost control of a real car anywhere near that kind of percentage.

pCARS is unfortunately a really, really good driving game that tries incredibly hard to drive people away with it's poorly set up control scheme. It's entirely possible to get it feeling as good as anything on the market, it just takes time. Which to be fair, shouldn't be necessary, but I think a lot of people miss out on just how good it is because the terribel controls are getting in the way.
Pcars might feel better than AC with the steering I managed to get out of it.
I like(d) AC, but you PC guys sound like you're playing a different game than I am. That or on another planet. :D

With that appeal to your own authority I would say so, yes.
Yep. Great at racing games means great at racing games.
I'm pretty sure you specifically liked a post of mine in the past making the similar complaint about GT's rubbish physics once the back breaks free. (I believe the topic was drifting)

I'm curious to hear what skill it's possible to lack involving driving games that you think could lead to being in the top 1% in a "simcade"? Spatial, hand/eye, etc.
I'd really like to hear the science, because I'm pretty sure GT6 requires all driving senses and skills the same as real life, minus seat of the pants feel. Just because physics are wrong, doesn't change the skills required.
Does it?

Last edited:
Yep. Great at racing games means great at racing games.

And yet you have trouble adapting away from the Gran Turismo physics set to one that means that you need a slower entry speed. Interesting.

Great at Wipeout doesn't mean great at Gran Turismo. Great at Gran Turismo (with all it's physics foibles and tricks) definitely doesn't mean good at a serious sim like AC or iRacing.

Some people adapt quickly. Some people don't. Some people keep trying to drive like it's Gran Turismo.

I'm curious to hear what skill it's possible to lack involving driving games that you think could lead to being in the top 1% in a "simcade"? Spatial, hand/eye, etc.

Ability to adapt.

You've spent a lot of time learning how to drive in Gran Turismo. That doesn't just go away. You've got ingrained reflexes and responses that you're not even thinking about. It's like someone learning to speak another language. Throwing away their natural grammar is hard, and changing their pronunciation so that it doesn't betray their mother tongue is something that most adults never manage.

A nuanced driving game is not really that much different. You have the skills necessary to be fast, but you're not actually fast in a game until you learn to use those skills to apply the specific rules of that game. One can generally jump between the hard sims without too much difficulty, but there's still a period of adaptation. And crossing over from something like GT or Forza, which are honestly pretty far removed in many senses, is a major step.

It takes time, and it takes the ability for you to recognise what is learned behaviour from GT. You need to be able to discard that and start learning again from scratch. I have no doubt that you can be fast in other games, but you won't be as long as you continue to believe that being fast in one game entitles you to be fast in others without any effort to transition. The techniques you learn in GT aren't necessarily transferable. But your skills that you list above are, and along with your ability to learn driving systems and push them to the edge will enable you to become fast in a new game much quicker than your average Joe.

This is why I mocked your appeal to your own authority, because while you are fast you haven't learned that it only applies to one game. Being fast in a new game requires work, training, and figuring out what carries over and what doesn't. In this case, how you enter corners would seem to be something that doesn't carry over. You'd do well to discard what you think you know from GT and simply learn how AC wants you to drive. Then you can compare that to the real world and see what you think.

And yet you have trouble adapting away from the Gran Turismo physics set to one that means that you need a slower entry speed. Interesting.

Great at Wipeout doesn't mean great at Gran Turismo. Great at Gran Turismo (with all it's physics foibles and tricks) definitely doesn't mean good at a serious sim like AC or iRacing.

Some people adapt quickly. Some people don't. Some people keep trying to drive like it's Gran Turismo.

Ability to adapt.

You've spent a lot of time learning how to drive in Gran Turismo. That doesn't just go away. You've got ingrained reflexes and responses that you're not even thinking about. It's like someone learning to speak another language. Throwing away their natural grammar is hard, and changing their pronunciation so that it doesn't betray their mother tongue is something that most adults never manage.

A nuanced driving game is not really that much different. You have the skills necessary to be fast, but you're not actually fast in a game until you learn to use those skills to apply the specific rules of that game. One can generally jump between the hard sims without too much difficulty, but there's still a period of adaptation. And crossing over from something like GT or Forza, which are honestly pretty far removed in many senses, is a major step.

It takes time, and it takes the ability for you to recognise what is learned behaviour from GT. You need to be able to discard that and start learning again from scratch. I have no doubt that you can be fast in other games, but you won't be as long as you continue to believe that being fast in one game entitles you to be fast in others without any effort to transition. The techniques you learn in GT aren't necessarily transferable. But your skills that you list above are, and along with your ability to learn driving systems and push them to the edge will enable you to become fast in a new game much quicker than your average Joe.

This is why I mocked your appeal to your own authority, because while you are fast you haven't learned that it only applies to one game. Being fast in a new game requires work, training, and figuring out what carries over and what doesn't. In this case, how you enter corners would seem to be something that doesn't carry over. You'd do well to discard what you think you know from GT and simply learn how AC wants you to drive. Then you can compare that to the real world and see what you think.
You're talking about entry speed when I clearly talked about exit oversteer handling and steering issues.
If you're telling me I can't find a braking point, that's just flat out stupid. You're also assuming an awful lot of things for someone as normally mentally "brisk" as you are.

Correction: It's like I know 15 languages and am learning yet another.
Correction: I am fast at every racing game I play. Ever. I can probably turn a pretty damn good lap right now, with just a few hours under my belt. Bad news: The oversteer handling is still over-dramatized way-too-fast nonsense.
This is why I didn't care that you mocked it. I am. If you want to go to the prove it route we totally can.
Bad news: It won't fix the ridiculousness of how quickly you have to counter steer in AC.

Interesting that you've taken it upon yourself to determine my corner entry speed.

(Yes I am offended by that)

This is a Porsche GT3 car in which I was referring to how loud the sound of the whine is. Sure you can still hear a lot of the engine but the whine is loud. For the record I am not satisfied with PDs sound either, the raceroom vid showed exactly what I want to hear from PD, chassis noise, back fire from exhaust, better shifting, better tire sounds, you can barely hear them from inside the race car. But yes some cars may sound different with the transmission, not an expert on racing transmission just playing devil's advocate.

That's a Porsche GT3. Share a video of the cars being compared; the C7R. The transmission whine is almost completely drowned out by the V8.

I hear a lot of distaste for how loud the whine is of the straight cut transmission, but if you look up video of in cockpit view of gt3 cars with a dog box you'll understand just how authentic the volume level of GTS' gear box whine actually sounds. There are little things however, I hear from GTS that, even in a post patch, would be fix are transmission shift sound speed. Once again I checked for gt3 cars, once again it's spot on, but for regular cars it's not instant unless you put a straight cut gear box in it.

Of course it's pretty much moit right now untill both are out, because they are both in beta, but I will be picking both up
In what way is GT Sport, in any form, "spot on" or "authentic" for the C7R?

Granted, this does show that PCars' whine is a bit too noticeable as well, but SMS have still managed to keep the V8 at the focus of the player.

You're talking about entry speed when I clearly talked about exit oversteer handling and steering issues.

Hmm. How interesting. It's almost as if all phases of cornering affect each other.

You claimed oversteer is impossible to catch in AC. The only situation in which that is really true is if you fling it at a corner way too fast. Or if you simply plant your foot and hope, but I did decide to give you credit for not being that stupid. One doesn't get to D1G without learning throttle control. On the other hand, how GT deals with braking and corner entry is significantly different to something like AC.

I rather think you'd find that your oversteer "problem" would be solved if you stopped driving like you expect to be able to catch everything. That's not how cars work. You can absolutely get enough rotation on that a spin is unsaveable. Generally, you can avoid the situation by slowing down on corner entry and not getting yourself out of shape to start with. But I wouldn't know, I'm not as fast as you.

If you're telling me I can't find a braking point, that's just flat out stupid.

Cool. Abuse.

It's almost like in Gran Turismo you can just pick a point and hammer the brakes, yet in AC it's really important how you apply them and come off them too. But I wouldn't know, I'm not as fast as you.

You're also assuming an awful lot of things for someone as normally mentally "brisk" as you are.

Certainly am assuming a lot of things, but you're not exactly proving me wrong here. You're still appealing to your own authority as if because you find it difficult it's the game doing things wrong instead of you not being able to drive the way the game requires you to.

Correction: It's like I know 15 languages and am learning yet another.

So? It doesn't make any difference. There will be some similarities between what you know already and some completely new things. You still have to spend the time to figure out the correct set of skills for the specific game, even if they're all known to you already individually.

Correction: I am fast at every racing game I play. Ever.

Of course you are, dear. I don't know why I doubted you. You are the gaming love child of a threesome between Fangio, Senna and Schumacher. Frankly, I think you're wasted on these petty video games and it's criminal that you're not driving a Mercedes in F1 instead of Lewis Hamilton. Your driving brilliance dazzles me even through that system of pipes that we call the internet, and I'm not sure that I'm even worthy to play the same games as a leading light such as yourself.

I certainly was wrong to have attempted to call you on an appeal to your own authority. I should have made it an appeal to your own godhood, although that might be underselling it a bit.

Do you find that you bump your ego on doors when you go through, or does it fit all right?

Bad news: It won't fix the ridiculousness of how quickly you have to counter steer in AC.

Ridiculous compared to what? Gran Turismo? Or real life?

Because Assetto Corsa is trying to replicate real life, where under some circumstances you have to counter steer very, very quickly indeed if you want to have any hope at all of holding it. Or some spins just cannot be saved. That's a thing too.

It's very different, driving a simulation that tries to replicate real driving instead of a game that is trying to bend the rules and flatter you that you're an amazing driver.

(Yes I am offended by that)

Go right ahead. I hope you enjoy the feeling of righteous anger being sure that you know better. Clearly being D1G entitles you to win any argument about how a game should work simply because of your incredible hot lapping speed. Anyone who dares to disagree should immediately wilt under the pressure of your amazing speed, regardless of whether you can muster a cogent and logically consistent argument or not.

If you had a solid argument to stand on, you'd have presented it. You don't like AC and how it drives, but you can't explain why that's not accurate to real life. Only that it doesn't match up with your peerless driving experience in Gran Turismo, a game which is known for not really being that great a sim.

See what Animera, another D1G, had to say about unlearning bad habits from Gran Turismo. He said basically what I did, but with less words.

How interesting. It's almost like he learned what you haven't.

If you want to discard your ego and have a real conversation about Assetto Corsa and it's physics compared to GTS, then I'd be happy to do that. I know that you actually have some good experience and knowledge in there behind the ego. But as long as you keep trying to sell your opinions based purely on your speed in GT6, I will continue to point out how ridiculous that is.

Unfortunately I knew what I'd find in this thread before I entered. PCars does have its strong points. Sound being one of them. But as an overall package I don't think it will be as polished as Gran Turismo. That statement is made heavily on pure preference. From the stylized graphics, exaggerated camera movement, and the blowing leaves on tracks that don't actually have trees nearby...PCars will certainly appeal to many. But I'm also wary of comparing a finished game to a beta.

Unfortunately I knew what I'd find in this thread before I entered. PCars does have its strong points. Sound being one of them. But as an overall package I don't think it will be as polished as Gran Turismo. That statement is made heavily on pure preference. From the stylized graphics, exaggerated camera movement, and the blowing leaves on tracks that don't actually have trees nearby...PCars will certainly appeal to many. But I'm also wary of comparing a finished game to a beta.
Why unfortunately? Unfortunately because you're sad GT has fallen so low or unfortunately because you're mad others would dare to say bad things about perfect GT?

It's probably about right. pCARS is and was intended for what was considered to be a fairly specialised audience. At that time, Gran Turismo wasn't really in the same space. pCARS was a relatively small team with a relatively small budget, although I'd still say that they produced a remarkably buggy and difficult to use game (on console at least, on PC I find it fine) even considering all that.

pCARS 2 it's hard to say. It's promising a lot more than GTS seems to be. More cars and tracks, dynamic time and weather, a range of surfaces, and so on. I'd hope that pCARS 2 is more polished than the last, but I think regardless GTS should be even more so given that it's a less extensive game that's been in development for longer with a larger team and almost certainly a larger budget.

On the other hand, GT5 was notoriously buggy at release, and GT6 was notoriously incomplete. They've already delayed GTS for what looks like is probably going to be at least 12 months, so presumably they're not repeating history and shoving an unfinished product out the door. Still, money doesn't grow on trees so before too long they may simply have to ship regardless of quality.

Why unfortunately? Unfortunately because you're sad GT has fallen so low or unfortunately because you're mad others would dare to say bad things about perfect GT?
This is not very good bait. Decent effort though so I'll answer. It's unfortunate that I could predict what the overall tone of the thread would be. Regardless of the state of GTS, there will always be those who claim it is worse than it is. Simply because they don't like the direction the development has taken or how long it has taken, or because they think the cars sound like vacuum cleaners, or because Assetto Corsa "feels" more real. I get it though. The franchise has been around so long and stuck to the same formula that it's human nature to figure it's gone stale and everything around it is better.

The fact is that it's all a matter of perspective, preference, and what one game does well as opposed to the other. I don't think GTS will do well based on its name alone but because of the overall quality of the product. Hopefully I don't have to eat my words.

Why do some rwd cars in AC not drive like they have rear wheel steering in reverse?
Sorry what?

I'm using the "I'm really really good at racing games, so I should be really good at racing games" as a benchmark.
So reality is, for you, the wrong benchmark to use to see how accurate (to reality) a sim is?

Now tell me, how many times did you fully spin out and lose control? What percent? 90%? I bet not.
I bet nobody telling me I'm wrong has lost control of a real car anywhere near that kind of percentage.
Couple of problems you make with the rather broad assumptions you make here.

The first being that I don't drive on the road as if i'm an immortal going full pelt on the 'ring, nor do I drive on a track or at a proving ground as if I'm immune from death. Doing so would make me a moron.

Secondly I don't spin out and lose control 90% of the time in AC.

This is not very good bait. Decent effort though so I'll answer. It's unfortunate that I could predict what the overall tone of the thread would be. Regardless of the state of GTS, there will always be those who claim it is worse than it is. Simply because they don't like the direction the development has taken or how long it has taken, or because they think the cars sound like vacuum cleaners, or because Assetto Corsa "feels" more real. I get it though. The franchise has been around so long and stuck to the same formula that it's human nature to figure it's gone stale and everything around it is better.

The fact is that it's all a matter of perspective, preference, and what one game does well as opposed to the other. I don't think GTS will do well based on its name alone but because of the overall quality of the product. Hopefully I don't have to eat my words.
Some of its based on personal perspective (and therefore subjective), some of its not. That GTS beta mid-engine cars are breaking the basic laws of physics, isn't subjective.

Now even when something is objectively wrong that doesn't mean that people are not allowed to subjectively prefer it (objectively Dirt Rally has some physics issues, particularity on tarmac; however subjectively I still love it and play it to death).

You should also note that many of those who are critical of GT are equally critical of other title (check out mine and other peoples reviews of AC if you don't believe me), nor are other titles immune from the same thing (as the quote before your in my reply shows).

New 1080p60 comparison video.

GT3's at the 'ring. Just after the first corner to the exit of Adeneaur Forest. Project Cars and GTS.

Cars are: Corvette C7, V12 Vantage and SLS AMG. Cockpit / Helmet cam and audio switches between them, I have also time corrected them to try and get corners matching as much as possible.

And there will always be those who claim it's better than it is.

By that logic, folks should be dead tired of GTA, Metal Gear, Mortal Kombat, etc. because they've been around so long & stick to the same formula.

It's not human nature to figure the franchise is boring. That's a weak attempt to direct the blame back on to the users for the game's short comings, as if they can't help it that they've gotten bored of GT.

"The game's fine, ya'll just gotten too old for it".

Back