GT Sport vs Other Games: Comparison Video Thread

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Ridox2JZGTE

Ridox2JZGTE

What audio format did you use ? PCM, DTS ? Does the capture card received the audio unaltered ?

2. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Have zero hands on experience with RaceRoom, but that game sounds like its devs might be at the forefront of replicating a true race car. Not only does the car sound better, but you can hear all sorts of faint details like small debris bouncing off the under carriage, or how the chassis bumps over rumble strips.

freedom1104, DonZonda and Johnnypenso like this.
  3. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

I use LPCM, as it means the audio files as included by the dev are used directly. If they have used uncompressed lossless audio then that's what will get, if its been compressed (as both Dolby Digital and DTS do, and unless its HD versions of those it would also be lossy audio as well).

That audio is then sent directly to the capture card via HDMI, its as close to a direct interface audio recording as you are ever going to get on a PS4.

4. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Haven't played it myself, but it's known to be amongst the best (if not the best) racer in terms of Audio.

Fun fact: Their Audio guy applied for a position at PD...... he didn't get accepted :lol:

5. Imari

Imari

No. No it hasn't. Gran Turismo 1 and 2 were pretty decent for their time. GT 3 and 4 were fine, they were largely equivalent to other console games of the era, although it was starting to become obvious that they didn't really sound that much like the real thing.

GTHD and GT5P were really the start of people noticing that while the graphics were incredible, the sounds had barely progressed beyond what GT3 was doing in 2001 and were starting to feel horribly out of place. The fact that Polyphony was using dubbed sounds in trailers was painfully obvious. GT5 had it's sound panned at release, and GT6 got a relative kicking for being hardly any different at all.

GTS is the first significant step in the right direction since GT3. It's not enough to keep up with other racing games yet, but it's not a million miles away either. What they've got is unbalanced, but it sounds OK. If they decide to add more layers of effects and work on the tyre sounds and how shifting gear affects the engine I suspect it will be quite good.

We demanded more, and we're starting to see it. I don't think anyone is under the misapprehension that what we've got now is all we want to see, but by the same token to refuse to see the improvement is just myopic. Give Polyphony (ie. Mike Caviezel) credit for what he's achieved so far, and we can all hope that we will continue to see more improvements to really put Gran Turismo at or near the top of the list of games that sound :censored:ing great.

6. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I can't believe I actually agree with you on something...

Imari likes this.
  7. diesel97

diesel97

Let me make it simple you use the terms "pretty decent", GT 3 and 4 "were fine "and not even going to talk about 5 and 6 and no were did you type good or great. People keep saying its good enough will never get PD to be better.

8. Tornado

Tornado

Yeah, Imari. You're such a :censored: fanboy.

:lol:

ImaRobot, TS050, SDSPOWER01 and 2 others like this.
  9. gtracedriver1

gtracedriver1

Shift2 will helmet cam I loved it for some 20-30mins. It was like I am really inside the car but soon realized the lag in control. It was a broken mess. I really like Pcars FOV, cockpit but other than that there is nothing good about Pcars games

10. azrilnazli

azrilnazli

If any of you guys have access to PC iRacing Simulator, try drive Porsche 991 GT3. That's the current standard of sound, physics, cockpit cam in PC Sim.everything just done right at least for me.

Johnnypenso likes this.
  11. Imari

Imari

Talk about your high standards. So if it's not best in class by a country mile, it's not good enough, is that what you're saying?

I disagree. I recognise that there's only so much time and money that is able to be put into development. While I don't think that any part of a game should be actively distracting or annoying to the player, I totally understand making some parts simply acceptable in order to focus resources on other areas.

Look at Assetto Corsa. Graphics are OK, but not great. They're mostly not obnoxious and they do their job just fine, but few people are raving about how incredible they are. And that's fine, the game developers had a limited amount of resources. They made a graphical system that is good enough and spent the rest of the time and money on things that they thought brought more to the game.

There's nothing wrong with simply being decent in some areas if you're using that in order to achieve excellence in others. Of course we'd all like everything to be exceptional, but this is the real world and it simply doesn't work like that. I don't say anything wrong with saying "this is ok, it's not incredible but it's not awful either".

Apparently you think that anything that isn't world class is a problem. You'll find out otherwise when you get a job.

12. CSLACR

CSLACR

If you drive the F40 backwards and turn the wheel hard, it doesn't whip around. I didn't do this test on a lot of cars, I noticed it backing onto the track.

Reality is exactly the benchmark.
    If you drive into a corner and purposely break the rear loose, and immediately counter steer to opposite lock, you should spin back the other way and crash. In AC, you continue spinning almost as if you never counter steered at all. Even if you completely lift throttle.(which can help or hurt, but either way doesn't work)
    That's wrong.

I never suggested you should. But why do you automatically assume (conveniently I say) I'm talking about full-tilt racing? I'm talking about simply breaking the back end loose with power for fun. People do it all the time.

If I'm somehow in a room full of people so sheltered they don't know people powerslide all over the world every day, what's going on? You guys like cars? U got 2 b kiddng m3

Racing? Drifting? Joyfully powersliding? What do you mean exactly?
    I can drive fast(ish) laps, but that doesn't mean the cars are predictable or rational in their response to over steer and counter steer. It just means I can avoid it.

I'm pretty sure that F40 is, too.

I "think" you haven't seen me drive.
    How are you going to sit there and tell me what I'm doing wrong? While at the same time trying to criticize me for being arrogant? :lol:

It's not abuse. At a certain point it's called "whining".
    You do not always want to hammer the brakes in GT6 for the fastest lap. But you wouldn't know, you're not as fast as me.

Which you've determined based only on the fact that I disagree with you on the game.
    Bias much? Because I disagree I have to be driving wrong? What an argument. Yes, tell me I'm going on nothing. :)

To which you've determined on nothing, again.
    Other than the fact that I disagree with your game. :lol:

I know, the second anyone says they're good at something we have to knock them down. We complain about abuse and bullying, but really, we are micro-aggressive bullies ourselves. That's the love of GTPlanet. I could name 10 of you off the top of my head.
    You just bully by the rules and call if different. ;)

I know, I said I'm good at something, and that isn't possible! Nobody is ever good at anything!
    Obviously, you have to exaggerate the hell out of it. Of course blatant exaggeration typically means one doesn't feel an honest point would have enough "impact".

I never asked or wanted it to be like GT. You've seen me complain about GT physics a bunch of times.
    It's really interesting you've chosen to pretend that that is what I am after then. :odd:

Maybe pretend something believable?

Am I Animera? Why do I have to be exactly like Animera? Why can't I just have a different opinion than you? Why can't I believe that powersliding is significantly easier in real life?

u sEriOusly dnt kno ppl pwerslide ever day all over da w0orld?

You decided it was about my ego. Because YOU decided how I was driving and what I must be doing wrong, all based on the sole principal that I don't think this game is realistic in this particular way.

Because I don't think it's real, I must be driving wrong. Because no other opinions are possible. What a laugh.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  13. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

You just don't know how to drive. I spent a couple of hours last night driving Porsches round the Ring. I had lots of oversteer moments. The majority I caught and it all felt very natural. I did spin a few times but every time I did it was my own fault, I hit a curb too hard or asked too much of the rear tyres for too long. Which wheel do you use?

Keep burying your head in the sand. GT will be fine.

Imari likes this.
  14. CSLACR

CSLACR

I do know how to drive. Here's some fun facts for you guys, which might burst the bubble on braking.
    I'm using a G920, and the brake pedal is so stiff I have a really hard time reaching even 90% brake power. I drive with ABS off and almost never have I locked the brakes, because braking modulation is something I'm actually pretty good at, and then this pedal makes it really hard to brake that hard. Anything over 50% takes significant effort, with or without shoes.

I'm not diving into corners. I was never talking about corner entry. (Scaff brought up corner entry and I used GT abilities as a reference, to which Imari's imagination went wild, and everyone actually bought it. Go ahead, take a look back.)
    Corner entry is really excellent in AC. (shocked face)
    It's the exit oversteer snapping entirely too fast. Just because you can learn to catch it, doesn't make it accurate, and that's actually a pretty ridiculous notion, if you think about it.

You guys keep talking about getting used to it. If it were that real, you wouldn't have to get used to it. That's the whole point.

another_jakhole likes this.
  15. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

I didn't have to get used to it. It feels incredibly natural. The vast majority of the time it happens with zero thought process. I'm looking at the track, feeling what the car is doing through my wheel and my 30 years of real world driving and sim racing experience do the rest.

You tell us you are a racing God, yet I, who am a decent racer but not close to being a deity like yourself, find it easy to deal with oversteer in AC as I do in all the multiple sims I play. Don't you think that's a bit odd? Can you give us a run down of your sim racing history? What games have you spent a lot of time with?

16. Imari

Imari

If it were real, you wouldn't have to get used to it if you were a trained race driver in reality.

If you're a guy who spends a lot of time going really fast in not so accurate simulations, you may well have to get used to it. Or if you're a guy whose head isn't so big that he assumes that anything he can't deal with is physically inaccurate.

Play it. Learn to deal with it. Then come back and tell us how the responses required to deal with oversteer are inaccurate. People here are telling you that it can be done, and if you can't do it then that sort of negates the complaint. The rest of us can catch countersteer quite naturally, and in my limited experience with real cars it feels remarkably similar. I'm not the only one, as you can see from this thread.

Here is a video that may be of use to you:

Here's a video with Slaptrain (who admittedly does a lot of drifting in various games) but you can see his hands and what he's doing with them. Doesn't look too unnatural to me:

There are many more of these on Youtube if you want to see other people sliding around in AC. It's quite popular with sim drifters.

17. Animera

Animera

@CSLACR Did you mean a reverse 180 in the F40 like this?
    If so, it was quite easy and doable.

18. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

That's not rear wheel steering.

Now please explain, with reference to real world physics, what it does, why its wrong and what it should be doing.

Sorry, but your explanation here reads as a bit of a jumble.

Could you state a car and corner and break into down into what you are doing, what happens and why its wrong.

You gave no other context and provided how fast you are in GT6 as a reference. Its a reasonable assumption to make given that.

Even in humour don't do this.

All of them added up, I do not lose control 90% of the time.

Excellent you will have no problem at all describing what ts doing, why it breaks the laws of physics and what it should be doing.

Imari likes this.
  19. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Real life

Scaff likes this.
  20. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

I would add these as well, as they are relevant to the claim that big angle 'Top Gear' powerslides are easy. Personally I'm going to take Mark Higgins view over @CSLACR, as I suspect he may have a little more real world experience in this area.

freedom1104 and Imari like this.
  21. KevinHeryanto

KevinHeryanto

Is it just me or did GTS gets a graphics downgrade? The E3 Demo have much better lighting and the trees are actually 3D.

22. Imari

Imari

It's relatively common for games to get worse looking from early demo builds. As development goes on and more things are included, developers find that they have to turn down the graphics in order to achieve a stable frame rate.

freedom1104 and KevinHeryanto like this.
  23. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

The E3 demo had much worse trees and performance, if anything, it's an upgrade. Keep in mind that a beta is targeting performance -- hence graphical intensive effects like smoke particles and skid marks are disabled.

It is something I'm noticing with Sony's First Party studios then generation, they're doing a reverse-Ubisoft.

KevinHeryanto, G.T.Ace and Scaff like this.
  24. Vspectra

Vspectra

Slightly different time conditions, but E3 demo looked worse to me. Trees are a mixture of 3D and 2D in both. But E3 had overblown white balance, and their temporal AA caused massive artifacts in motion, you can see it on the trees to the left here:

[​IMG]

compared to Beta:

[​IMG]

Regardless, new Porsche build looks better than both. :D

KevinHeryanto and Scaff like this.
  25. CSLACR

CSLACR

26. psychoazubi

psychoazubi

@CSLACR If you are used to a driving habit, it takes some time to get used to other sims. It took me 40-50h to get from GT to all the others because driving fast in GT is so different from all the rest. Here's my record:

Gt5: 130.000km
    Gt6: 20.000km
    PCars: ca. 350h plus countless hours in the development
    AC: 60h
    F1 2016: 90h
    Raceroom: tested once for a few hours
    Race07: 30h
    PCars 2: not as much as I want to
    GTS: yes, I have the beta

I have won online leagues in gt6, pCars and held a WR on pCars on road America in gt3 and I am 100% with @PzR Slim and @Scaff regarding the physics.

Edit: Wrong quote initially

27. diesel97

diesel97

Those are big bold statement having no clue what the final product is going to be. Hoping and wishing is not the same as FACT

28. CSLACR

CSLACR

Well at least I seem to have finally gotten you kids off the braking topic. Wow. That was actually pretty hard.

In reverse, yes, cars drive as though they have rear wheel steering. I'm not arguing that.
    GTPlanet seems to have some really obtuse members.

Why? So you can change my words and argue a strawman? I'll mention flugplatz and you'll talk about Laguna Seca? I think not.

No, it's not. If you can read, that is.
    I pretty clearly said powersliding quite a few times.
    Interesting how such intelligent people can "miss" all words not pertinent to their false argument.

Even in humor don't enforce the AUP on only one member.
    Let's talk about fictitious claims. (Oh I bet you missed those too, right?)

Oh, so my exaggerations don't fly? Two-sided much?

But you would have a problem listening, and not twisting my words.

Gonna pull that fictitious claim / AUP stuff.
    If you're going to lie we're going to have problems.
    Retract statement please and thank you.

Oh, videos of people drifting. You win. NFS is as real as anything.
    Excellent point, welld made. :tup:

So if I post a vid of mine not doing that, (when) what then?
    A room full of people would be proven to have ignored the most important question asked because they were too busy flaming someone that dared bust on their precious?
    "is it that same on XB1"? (Nobody answered, I asked twice now)

It's pretty clear the tone here is "AC is GOOOOODDDDD"
    I would like to apologize to the GTPlanet AC fan club as I have not agreed with them!
    Imagine the horror. And have a great day guys. Find another person that dislikes your game to flame.

P.S. Perhaps direct your energy toward flaming the people claiming miserable little games like Pcars and AC are going to "overthrow" GT. It's laughable. Albeit not in favor of the precious.

As long as you get flamed for 3 pages for saying you think you're good at racing and driving games, that's just fine.

I'll start.
    How dare you call yourself a God? You think you're good at racing games, and that makes you good at racing games? How foolish. And another thing, you think playing games makes you better at playing games? What else? Running makes you faster? Oh and I suppose picking heavy things up would make you stronger too right?
    What a joke!

29. JDMKING13

JDMKING13 Premium

Isn't everyone doing just that? I mean we are comparing a beta game to full blown games that have been updated. Nobody knows what the final product is going to be but we are still debating.

30. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

You are clearly not a driving God because you can't catch oversteer in AC. I know that's probably tough for you to hear as you have such a high opinion of yourself but hey wouldn't want to put words in your mouth. Come back when you can back up your claims with evidence. Or claim we are all out to get you and run away from the discussion.