"GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality"

• Thread starter drivatar
  • 260 comments
It's like all three racers are competing to see who can make the sleaziest moves.

If this gets confirmed then GTS has a needless always online requirement. F7 has microtransactions and PCARS 2 has awful pre-order and season pass exclusive DLC crap.

Anti-consumerism at its finest.
F7 has microtransactions? Thats news to me.

How do you even operate a console in this day and age without an internet conection?

Yesterday I got a Firmware 4.76 update, which if I didn't install, wouldn't let me go online or view the PSN store. I had a Battlefield 1 update, which again prevented me from playing online before the update, same for Rocket League. I even had Tricky Towers automatic update that prevented me from playing until it was installed.

Your stats and driving standards all need to be tracked to ensure you are paired up in races that match your ability.

How do you even operate a console in this day and age without an internet conection?
Very easily. You just turn off your wifi or remove your ethernet cable.
Yesterday I got a Firmware 4.76 update, which if I didn't install, wouldn't let me go online or view the PSN store. I had a Battlefield 1 update, which again prevented me from playing online before the update, same for Rocket League. I even had Tricky Towers automatic update that prevented me from playing until it was installed.
If you're not connected to online, and these patches are issued, you can still play however you want. There's even an option on the xbox to continue playing offline instead, if I remember correctly.

Your stats and driving standards all need to be tracked to ensure you are paired up in races that match your ability.
Why? Why wouldn't they be able to have these stats updated once connected to online, or when entering the online segment?
Still makes it a 100% no.

Everyone relax its only for the sport mode
No, its actually not.

@Famine

I understand it's a poorly worded blog post, as do you, but...

"seems to state"
"open to interpretation".
And yet you are happy to lead with the factual headline of "GT Sport will require an internet connection for most game modes".

Clickbait much?

Then there's the quote,
"As with all Playstation titles, PS Plus will only be needed for online multiplayer, portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single race on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline."

Which you've told your readers that this infers PS Plus is required for "some parts of the game other than online racing".
Really?
Interesting interpretation, and not what I get from that sentence at all.
"PS Plus will only be needed for online multiplayer"

Sorry mate, but this article isn't one of your best efforts.

I like Battlefield 1 too ;) Sorry out of topic :D

Borrowed my mate's XB1 for a couple of weeks, & really hated the way you have to sign in even to be able to play Forza offline. If GT Sport end up being anything like that experience, I think that would be the final nail in the coffin for me. Let's wait & see what it actually ends up being like.

"As with all Playstation titles, PS Plus will only be needed for online multiplayer, portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single race on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline."

What if I have a online connection but not PS Plus? am I going to be locked out of all the Arcade content?

Pretty much every game nowadays requires an internet connection. So no issues there. My concerns are;

Online is only 15% of the game - where you can be greeted with idiots ramming you off the circuuit, as you approach corners in the correct manner using appropriate speed and track positioning - this regardless of how high your Driver or Sportsmanship Rating is.

25% is photographing every car in the Grand Canyon or next to a lake.

and 60% is pointless driving tests and missions, which the majority of aren't even complete laps - just a series of corners! Like that's going to encourage clean competitive racing, and stop the mindlessly over-aggressive drivers online who will do anything to get past. How naive PD are.

It just doesn't seem like a 'complete' game. :rolleyes:

What if I have a online connection but not PS Plus? am I going to be locked out of all the Arcade content?
Any online race will require PS Plus, anything offline won't. I.e, the tranditional GT Arcade mode will be offline.

No doubt there'll also be additional arcade races you can set-up online.

And yet you are happy to lead with the factual headline of "GT Sport will require an internet connection for most game modes".
Sony
In order to ensure fair racing for all, GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality.
Yep. Happy with that title.
Then there's the quote,

Which you've told your readers that this infers PS Plus is required for "some parts of the game other than online racing".
Really?
Yes.

Ignoring the comma that should be a semi-colon, the quote states:

Sony
portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single race on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline.
That implies (writers imply, readers infer) that portions of the Arcade Mode and single race on tracks other than select ones cannot still be played offline. Otherwise it would say "all of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single race on any track and time trials can still be played offline.". But it doesn't say that. It says that portions of the Arcade mode and single race on select tracks can still be played offline, suggesting that other portions and other tracks cannot.

And that's the risk with:

a poorly worded blog post

It's like all three racers are competing to see who can make the sleaziest moves.

If this gets confirmed then GTS has a needless always online requirement. F7 has microtransactions and PCARS 2 has awful pre-order and season pass exclusive DLC crap.

Anti-consumerism at its finest.

All three games (GTS, PCARS2, FM7) have pre-order bonuses. Historically, all the pre-order stuff in Forza is eventually made available as separate DLC months later. So it's a timed exclusive. The first PCARS1 is like that too, IIRC. Were GT6's 15th Anniversary cars ever made available outside of pre-order/day-one editions? I can't remember, since I have the CE.

GT6 had microtransactions too. I think there needs to be a distinction between a game giving players an option to use their real money to buy cars (hey, that's their choice) and skewing the economy to essentially make it a pay-to-win.

Well yes, the online stats would require the online functionality.

The question is how much of the offline "career" is blocked off without an internet connection. Relating to that, we don't yet know how much of this "career" is tied to your sportsmanship/driver rating. It'd make sense that it isn't — or else people could game their rating by just playing offline, so it wouldn't be representative of how clean/fast they actually are.

If the "career" has no bearing on stats, then locking it behind an internet connection doesn't really make much sense.

Any online race will require PS Plus, anything offline won't. I.e, the tranditional GT Arcade mode will be offline.

No doubt there'll also be additional arcade races you can set-up online.
Not according to Sony.

Yep. Happy with that title.

Yes.

Ignoring the comma that should be a semi-colon, the quote states:

That implies (writers imply, readers infer) that portions of the Arcade Mode and single race on tracks other than select ones cannot still be played offline. Otherwise it would say "all of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single race on any track and time trials can still be played offline.". But it doesn't say that. It says that portions of the Arcade mode and single race on select tracks can still be played offline, suggesting that other portions and other tracks cannot.

And that's the risk with:
I didn't doubt you would have a come back. :)

But that won't change my opinion.

I'm trying to see the positive side of the "internet enforcement". PD decided to discontinue the possibility to buy in-game credits which I think was a good decision for GT Sport. This way real world money can't buy you virtual cars and PD accepted to miss out on this additional revenue stream. If they don't sell in-game credits anymore another way someone could gain "hacked" credits is via glitches. The whole "internet enforcement" is thus maybe their way to prevent money glitches by having the drivers profile and it's account balance only stored online and not even temporarily on the PS4. This way it will be much more difficult to gain "hacked" in-game credits with glitches and if it still happens they can reset profiles / account balances without a lot of effort. Overall this benefits the players as nobody will have an advantage and cheater/hacker accounts will hopefully be banned/reset if it still happens.

I'm not sure about you guys but who can afford a PS4 will very likely not live in a third-world country that has a very poor internet connection.

Not according to Sony.
Only online competition requires PS Plus.

There will be an arcade mode, but it makes sense this will include offline and online options.

Set-up an offline arcade race against A.I, no PS Plus required.

Set-up a online arcade race, PS Plus required.

Only online competition requires PS Plus.

There will be an arcade mode, but it makes sense this will include offline and online options.

Set-up an offline arcade race against A.I, no PS Plus required.

Set-up a online arcade race, PS Plus required.
No, that doesn't make sense, you don't set up arcade races online. Playing online in a lobby eliminates that completely.

Ignoring the comma that should be a semi-colon

I swear that was a full stop when they first published it! I'd copy-pasted it into the posting box on the general discussion thread, decided not to post, but it was still there - with a capital 'P':

"Portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single-player races on select tracks, and time trials can still be played in an offline environment."

If I'm not imagining things, that's a bizarre (ominous?) micro-edit.

For those who are still unsure about the "internet connection required for the majority of functionality"... *see bottom of box art*

Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FT72NOO/?tag=gtplanet-20

81gBlrCp2vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I swear that was a full stop when they first published it! I'd copy-pasted it into the posting box on the general discussion thread, decided not to post, but it was still there - with a capital 'P':

"Portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single-player races on select tracks, and time trials can still be played in an offline environment."

If I'm not imagining things, that's a bizarre (ominous?) micro-edit.

I've mentioned in another topic but the US blog has it. Writer is from SCEA, but it was translated to the other regional blogs like BR, DE, EU.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/14/gran-turismo-sport-eight-things-you-need-to-know/

Correct.
It doesn't make sense.
But hey, just remember, we will need PS Plus for it though.

They make the distinction of having PS+ (for multiplayer) and being Online (for "portions" of Arcade mode).

Back