"GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality"

• Thread starter drivatar
  • 260 comments
This year’s Gran Turismo includes a world first — the only video game with an online Championship endorsed by the world’s motoring governing body, the FIA. As a competition endorsed by the same organization that oversees some of the biggest races in the world we’re taking racing integrity very seriously for the FIA GT Championship.

In order to ensure fair racing for all, GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality. This connectivity requirement is to ensure that progress, car availability, and driver ratings are properly maintained at all times.

PlayStation Plus will only be needed for online multiplayer. Portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single-player races on select tracks, and time trials can still be played in an offline environment.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/14/gran-turismo-sport-eight-things-you-need-to-know/

Very bad "feature", for no reason 👎. Make a seperate online profile. Problem solved.

So it's basically, "Hope you a have a decent internet connection. If not, you're 🤬 out of luck!" I never expected to see Gran Turismo turn into an online-reliant game. Good job, PD and Sony. 👎
Pretty well all racing games are these days unfortunately. GT6 had missing content that had to be downloaded, PCars was bug riddled and required significant patching, PCars 2 is receiving a day one patch (which is pretty much normal now) and AC was only half what it is now when it was released (online, patches and fixes), not to mention all the DLC for AC, PCars 1& 2, and supposedly for GT Sport as well. It's a sign of the times I guess.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what happens on XBox

Pretty well all racing games are these days unfortunately. GT6 had missing content that had to be downloaded, PCars was bug riddled and required significant patching, PCars 2 is receiving a day one patch (which is pretty much normal now) and AC was only half what it is now when it was released (online, patches and fixes), not to mention all the DLC for AC, PCars 1& 2, and supposedly for GT Sport as well. It's a sign of the times I guess.

All true. My issue with GTS though is that an internet connection is pretty much essential, unlike the other games you listed in your post.

All true. My issue with GTS though is that an internet connection is pretty much essential, unlike the other games you listed in your post.
If you wanted to get anywhere near your full value out of them, then it was still pretty much necessary for the other games too (PCars in particular was almost unplayable for me at first). The only part of GT Sport that I can think of that you'd need a pretty decent internet connection for is the online racing portion, and that'd be the same for all race games. I'm not sure why it would be needed for the general arcade style play.:odd:

That's gaming in 2017. Everything must be connected to that fraudulent cloud. After buying MAG back in the G, I knew we were in for trouble down the line. So this doesn't bother me as it did back then. Gaming has changed dramatically (For the worse IMO) But that's just how it goes now. I still plan to pick up GT Sport on launch. I'm excited to own my first one in spite of this.

Very odd.

I'd first assume (because of that "fair racing for all") that tracked stats and/or economy might be important to the game's core systems, ie: kilometers driven on a track or car are used as a deeper layer in matchmaking/ranking algorithm.

But that doesn't explain the "limited split-screen" (whatever that is supposed to mean, maybe it's not even about online on this one) or the "selected tracks on single races" for the "online / offline" divide.
To that, the only reasonable explanation I can think, and it requires a leap, is that [DLC] tracks and cars (cars will possibly be "assigned" to you, being present in your garage) will be available for certain periods and that text represents the "not all content available when offline". The text is likely coached by the developers but, as I said, it requires the leap that they would mind their language to that point yet offer no better explanation.

All in all, that's a crazy nugget to just slide in a "10 reasons why" list.

Literally none of which as got anything at all to do with the requirement for an online connection for transaction authorisation for the game as the last NFS tried to its cost. Guess what? The new NFS doesn't require that. They learned from their mistake. Nail in coffin time for GT. 👎

Just look at the wording. By all means destroy and rip them appart in social media. Bash them on social media so they feel they must give us much more stuff then they planned.

I support all yours effort in that fashion!

But lets not troll each other here in our own familly/community. The wording in that article is obviously from third hand by Sony exec translated maybe trough two languages and differdnt contexts.
It sounds really BAD (thats why i support every attack on them) but lets not troll each other here by faking that it is not at the same time unclear - because that person, that exec posting it really appears to has barely half a clue into gamers mind and everyday worries.

So, lets pressure them for clearer explanation. I definitely want system that would protect my "on line career" acomplishments as well as protecting all of us from cheaters, or glitch abusers!
Don't we all???

But they need some much clearer wording on that.
So, give them hell until they produce clarity. But lets not form two fronts with one just pretending like it "clearly" means "always online" thing. Do go with that rhetoric to create pressure at their twitters or facebooks, but lets not troll us selves here before a bit more clarity. Imo

I think most of you guys have misunderstanding about the "require an internet connection for the majority of functionality". You guys think "majority of functionality" would be the whole game requiring you to be online. I agree with @PhaedrusSocrate, we need to understand the context, not just a plain reading by what's written. This is same as "In order to access leaderboard I need PS Plus" mindset.

I think the driving lesson/Arcade mode/even Scapes does not requiring you to be online. But to update the XP points/driver sportsmanship rating indeed you will need an internet connection. If you gone offline while playing mode with leaderboard, the leaderboard and those points won't be updated.

That last paragraf describes identical situation to whas was in GT5 already! In those online single player races, remember. If you lose connection during those you would not get that xp and credits - how could you, its logical you couldn't.

So after couple of races in a row I would go back to main menu to "save" them, then back to track.

We've known for a while that GT Sport is primarily an online game, with some offline parts. Why is it a shock to find out that an online game needs an internet connection?

The majority of functionality line is what has us worried. The wording makes it seem that even gaining xp/credits might require an internet connection which is stupid.

It won't affect me much but I still don't like it and it doesn't add anything.

Whilst I'd agree with others that it's not clear, there's definitely the suggestion that this is all that's available offline:

Portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single-player races on select tracks, and time trials can still be played in an offline environment.

Ironically, despite loving to complain about my crap internet..........it is reliably crap, with only occasional power cuts to worry about these days. So an always online requirement wouldn't bother me much at all really.

The only part of GT Sport that I can think of that you'd need a pretty decent internet connection for is the online racing portion, and that'd be the same for all race games.
And that's the problem, because from the looks of it, something like 90% of the game is online.

We've known for a while that GT Sport is primarily an online game, with some offline parts. Why is it a shock to find out that an online game needs an internet connection?

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-online-experience-around-15-total-game/

Kaz just recently said otherwise though. Plus, the whole comment on offline single player modes being only on select tracks sounds like they're locking certain tracks to only online multiplayer, which is a massive deal breaker if true given the already crap list of tracks.

I hope that the "majority of functionality" online will be online racing and downloading Scapes. The statement about the "online experience is 15% of the total game" is ambiguous at this point. Nobody knows what it amounts for, and we're not going to know until we get closer to release.

Major involvement with online connectivity in home console video games is here, and has been here since 2009, with no signs of decline and only becoming more widespread. I don't speak for everyone when I say this, but there is still a good number of people who don't have reliable internet connections for online connectivity in video games, either because their internet service provider is unreliable by default, or their living circumstances require connectivity methods that don't favor the best results in online gaming, such as wireless connectivity.

There is still an overwhelmingly large amount of users who have internet service providers with bandwidth caps; why these still exist in present-day is beyond me, but the people who have these services usually cannot help it, or are unable to find a better alternative. I mean, I've had other people (not on this forum, mind you) tell me that I should relocate and move out to another apartment complex just so I could play online gaming with them...

...yeah, as if I have the convenience of easily locating another apartment for sale/rent that is within the zone of another ISP, securing all of my belongings and finding a job immediately at the new apartment in order to sustain personal continuity, just so I could have an internet connection that is capable of sustaining uninterrupted and stable online play.

The development models of "release-it-now, finish-it-later" or "Game as a Service" for video games almost always relies on downloading additional content from the internet once the game has been installed. It's almost certain that Gran Turismo Sport is going to have a day-one update, either for enabling online connectivity and services, or adding additional content alongside that, but it needs to be downloaded in order for players to access it.

Those with unreliable or slow connections are able to get the content, but then their connection would prove to be unfavorable when they play online. Those with bandwidth caps would also be able to get the content and perhaps play online, but would otherwise quickly consume their bandwidth caps; they could also choose to decline downloading the content, but then they won't have the latest features at the compromise of conserving their bandwidth limits.

At this point, I'm hoping that the offline content of the game will prove to be satisfactory enough for me to enjoy, hopefully for other players as well. Gran Turismo Sport is essentially the "Gran Turismo 3 of this generation"; Polyphony Digital has a new platform with new technology to work with, and I'm certain they're eager to show players just what they can do with it. With high-speed online connectivity in home consoles making up a huge part of that technology, the outlook here could be a bad view for some.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-online-experience-around-15-total-game/

Kaz just recently said otherwise though. Plus, the whole comment on offline single player modes being only on select tracks sounds like they're locking certain tracks to only online multiplayer, which is a massive deal breaker if true given the already crap list of tracks.

Can never say it enough times. Don't take what Kaz says at face value.

While he technically isn't wrong about online being 15% of the game, it doesn't change the fact that people will need to play online to get competitive racing, which is the whole point of the game.

The "bigger" offline portion is just a huge series of driving lessons and tutorials.

It probably has to do with the fact that a selection of offline components are also going to be locked behind online as well. Why would that not be shocking?

Back