GT Sport World Tour 2020 Sydney

Great event.

I think Wong, Latkovski and Miyazono all ran perfect races. Wong was on fire, ran a good rabbit race. Latkovski ran perfect, beating Wong. And Miyazono, kind of pulled off a game changer. Not only will racers adjust to another level of pit strategy. I think viewers will too.

We are very lucky to have commentators who notice these sort of details. makes viewing so much more entertaining.

Really enjoyed the event. Massive congrats to all involved. Incredible racing throughout and what a finish!

However, as I was watching I was irked by a couple of things. The graphics during the races have got better season on season but I wish that they would improve the quality and quantity of information shown on screen:
- lap time information in the races. With the massively different strategies used in most of the races it really would help us to see how the race might come together.
- more fuel data. Give us an idea of fuel remaining. (Jimmy also talked about fuel saving but made no mention of fuel mixes which is what the drivers will mainly be using to save fuel)
- tire compounds used in the race so far next to each driver

@JayOTT In the final, Simmons lost control and hit Suswillo, completing ruining his race. Now I'm sure you can say 'karma' and all that

But, a driver lost control and ruined someone elses race. Surely by your logic, Simmons should be penalised too, but he didn't, so where's your massive rant about that?
Speaking of that incident, great for Adam to come back from it and still finish 7th.

Ah crap forgot to open GTP but I was quite busy and only had just enough time to catch most of the action live and nothing more

I was there today! Great racing! You can learn a lot seeing the best in the world race live! Got to meet the creator! Will be back tomorrow for the nations cup! Trying to find out what kit they use for the series, does anyone know? Obviously it’s Thrustmaster but exact specs would be nice, was sitting next to a couple of the drivers that compete in the nations cup however there was a slight language barrier! Great thing to experience and be part of! If the tour comes anywhere near you I highly recommend attending, as this e sports thing is definitely on the rise!
standard tgt and pedals, big sony TV, custom rig with sparco seat and standard seat slider, headsets differ sometimes but usually one of the top thrustmaster headsets
Foreign commentators didn’t seem to be on stage. It makes me fear production budget was reduced. Am I wrong ? Were French,German,Spanish etc... on site?
If they weren’t, is it punctually ?
French commentary team were in a studio in England but still live

This is actually a very impressive and well representative morning TV show segment about simracing and esports as a whole.

Actually it was quite cringe, the guy did his best but is was too short to get across much detail about the GT world tour

And the stewards have failed us twice in two days. Suswillo should be on the hook for at least a 4 second penalty based on the current standards of severity, yet he's let off with a slap on the wrist.

To explain the incident with Mark, yes I pulled out of his slipstream too late to go to the inside. He was letting me go in fact. But on my screen I was clear of him, didn't get any contact noise and didn't even realise I'd made contact until after the corner when all of a sudden he wasn't behind me. Yes, ping issues exist even at these live events. And the dodgy contact physics made this a lot worse than it should have been.

I believe this was the reason the stewards took so long to give the penalty and why they decided on 1 second, as they saw something wasn't quite right. But I wouldn't have been surprised if it was more.

If you had paid attention to the times between me and Mark as you claim so hard to have been doing, you will have seen Mark received a 1.5 second penalty on the penultimate lap for cutting the chicane. Had he not, he would have overtaken me due to being on tyres 2 compounds softer.

I should have been penalised to put him back into contention of getting his deserved top 6 (Edit: didn't realise he still had to make another stop, so don't think he would have got there). I was. I apologised immediately to Mark and there's no hard feelings between us.

In hindsight I should have overtaken Miyazono in the first stint where I had better pace. Instead I tried to play it safe and not lose time battling, and it ended up costing me.

Unfortunately in the last race contact on the first lap meant a podium was out of sight. Starting position didn't really matter in this slipstream fest. I'm gutted I didn't get an opportunity to fight for the win, because it's the fastest I've felt in any world tour or live event.

Onwards. :)

Last edited:
That Nations final was unbelievable, though I really felt for Cody. I mean, Miyazono only had to have been caught behind a slower driver on older tires for half a lap during that crazy strategy and it would have been disastrous for him.

RE: World tour setups

I noticed one of the racers in the Nations race was using a GT style rim instead of the standard T-GT. Can anyone chime in on that?

Look like this race is the most popular race so far by looking the retweet and like .
These events are tailor made to generate clips that can go viral. So it’s cool to see it happening.

So much in the gaming world can be cringeworthy and slightly embarrassing. But by treating these races with the same respect and production values as real world racing. It has a real chance of crossing over to a mainstream audience. I’ve no doubt Sony/PD are looking into packaging this for TV broadcast.

I also noted how the presenters started doing something for the first time that seems very obvious. And that’s actually advertising to the watching audience how they can qualify and take part! The segment on participants (often humble) rigs was great to get this message across.

I cannot agree to disagree with you, because the idea that a punt resulting in a driver being robbed of any chance of qualifying could be considered just a minor infraction is so stupid, I can't believe you're even entertaining the idea.
Stewards shouldn't judge the incident purely on outcome alone. That doesnt happen in the real world and it shouldn't happen here

It has to be a 4 second penalty. That was the precedent the stewards had set for major fouls the previous day, when Mercedes was penalised for the Bathurst start crash. If Suswillo still manages to cling on to 6th after being assessed the correct penalty amount of 4 seconds, I wouldn't have had a problem with him advancing to the final at all. But for him to get off with the same penalty they gave Toyota was rubbish (speaking of, Toyota didn't even touch Hyundai!)

And it doesn't really matter if the penalty nonetheless cost Suswillo positions, because it still wasn't consistent with prior decisions, and the stewards don't have the benefit of hindsight to know how many positions if any such a small penalty will cost him.
Mercedes had a 4 second penalty because they totally missed the braking zone by nearly 50m. He smashed a car through the pack like bowling pins. Come on man.

Look like this race is the most popular race so far by looking the retweet and like .

The japanese video for the final lap has got 1.1m views and counting. Incredible.

Yes, ping issues exist even at these live events. And the dodgy contact physics made this a lot worse than it should have been.

I believe this was the reason the stewards took so long to give the penalty and why they decided on 1 second, as they saw something wasn't quite right. But I wouldn't have been surprised if it was more.

That's exactly the reason why it took so long mate. ;)

Last edited:
Me on lap 19: Miyazono has pulled off a masterstroke! Miyazono has won this race!

I went off my face on the last lap. I don't think I'll ever see a better finish in my life. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating but damn, that was right up there. The World Tour has reached it's peak. I'm not sure how this event will be topped.

Loved the finish of the final Nations race, but all weekend there were fantastic daring moves by drivers like Solis, Lopez, Sugawara to name just a few, holding it round the outside in places where you wouldn't expect overtaking attempts. The racing felt very tight and close with positions changing frequently and several cars in contention for the win at any point. I think the live audience added to the atmosphere, and it's great to see Julia, Jimmy and Tom, back and settled in their roles. There is a warmth and human touch to the presentation in between races.

The next one seems so far away, but I hope it continues to grow and new dates added in future years - if there is one in London I would go for sure!

I can't tell if Hyundai is bad because of the drivers on the team, or if it's the car itself. If it's the car, then I can't imagine how bad the other cars that didn't make it to the World Tours are, like Mazda, Lamborghini, and Ferrari. Or maybe it's just the way that manufacturers become eligible to appear at World Tour events, and Hyundai being there was a fluke of some sorts due to how scoring works. Either way, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Hyundai end a race without them being in dead-last.

I can't tell if Hyundai is bad because of the drivers on the team, or if it's the car itself. If it's the car, then I can't imagine how bad the other cars that didn't make it to the World Tours are, like Mazda, Lamborghini, and Ferrari. Or maybe it's just the way that manufacturers become eligible to appear at World Tour events, and Hyundai being there was a fluke of some sorts due to how scoring works. Either way, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Hyundai end a race without them being in dead-last.
I've wondered that myself, though I wish that all the manufactures could compete at the finals.

Damn that final lap was crazy,like the ending to a car racing movie.Cody should be happy with his performance,yes its fustrating to get that close to a win but that was one hell of a effort to catch miyazono.

I wish the pro am race was live streamed,kinda frustrating to wait a few days to get just some highlights.

This I don't understand. Especially when there are 24 positions in the grid screens, when players are loading.
Guessing it has to do with logistics of getting twice the amount of people to an event if they ran more manufacturers, needing twice the space for the gaming rigs, needing a larger venue to house what they require, etc.

Wasn’t Kaz going to go over the schedule for the next World Tour events, and the plans for GT Sport’s DLC for this year? Or was I hearing something else?

The Hyundai is quick but gets its speed at handling tracks and being a decent all rounder on tires/fuel which makes it ideal for the home qualifier races. The world tour events have had some very fast tracks recently and make it look terrible. Much worse than it actually is.

The lambo/ferrari on the otherhand are very situational based on tire wear/fuel burn settings to be truly competitive. They are harder to get qualified as the home rounds are often tire wear limited, making the cars harder to get pace from over an entire race. but I feel the way the world tour events have been setup they would be quite competitive.

But wait, it gets worse! Remember that extremely forceful move Lexus made on Audi that would surely have resulted in damage and/or a penalty in real life? PD have effectively endorsed such a move by making it the thumbnail of their highlights video for the Manufacturers final.

Apparently the real answer to 'what is sportsmanship' all along was 'do whatever you want, we don't care'.

Back