GT Sport's Copper Box Reveal: One Year Later, What Have We Learned?

The only think we've learned is that Polyphony can't keep a schedule.
Calling poly out on a release date is like call a little kid out for traveling. Has poly ever put anything out on time? I have learned not to worry about the when. I have so many games to play anyways. I just want it to be good and be this generation. They need to get lined up better with the Playstation life cycle. For a while the only reason I turned on my ps3 was for gt.

Yes, this really need to be worth the wait, it's already cost me a grand on a 4K tv and ps pro! I like the look of that northern isle speedway and it's 15sec lap time, that will make for some good racing and back marker lapping! Come on PD, get it out soon!

It baffles me again and again to see the current sate of the game in the Beta, being so far away from finished. What the hell would they have been released in November then? They are still testing and tweaking, the graphics arent finished, sounds are still adjusted. The Rating System is still very flawed.

Either they fooled us on the first place, or they were completely out of mind thinking they could really do it in such a few time while they seem to need tons of more time.

We've learned that PD is at least trying to improve the game from that disaster of a reveal, but those improvements aren't happening anywhere near fast enough with such formidable competition that's only set to get even stronger in 2017.

Wow, that year has flown by.

A shout out to all those I met and shared some of the day with at Copper Box last year. 👍

UK weather doesn't seem to have improved much :lol:

What have we learnt? In many ways so little and yet in some things a lot. We've learnt a lot about the current state of audio and visuals from the beta, the arrival of Porsche in GT Sport (and almost EVERY SINGLE GAME that releases this year (how long till overfamiliarity sets in for some?)), the three new tracks suggesting variety in tracks, even if the track list is likely to be limited based on what we've been told so far, and so on...

Personally, I don't think we will learn too much more about the game until we have a release date and it gets into the official pre-release period, when the promotional hype begins. For most games other than early access games, this is after all the norm.

However, I am having fun currently running on the beta, which is helping to pass the time while we wait and hopefully giving PD some helpful feedback while development continues. Still loving that Dragon Trail track.

Now, back to the wheel...

It baffles me again and again to see the current sate of the game in the Beta, being so far away from finished. What the hell would they have been released in November then? They are still testing and tweaking, the graphics arent finished, sounds are still adjusted. The Rating System is still very flawed.

Either they fooled us on the first place, or they were completely out of mind thinking they could really do it in such a few time while they seem to need tons of more time.

It must be at a fairly decent standard to showing at so many events before they get cash landslide from us mugs. I reckon it's a ploy commercially to make more, also to tweak for us who knows.... just better be worth the wait

This is a good article imo. Yes the release delay drama sucks but its pretty standard for polyphony (as per my avatar). It still looks too much like a GT6 port with a new UI and gameplay features taken out imo. My biggest gripe at the moment is the choice to make the beta closed and therefore create the situation where you have people who have followed the series from day 1 (19+ years ago) watching people on youtube who have never played a GT game before or are not that into racing games experience the closed beta. FFS Polyphony.

My biggest gripe at the moment is the choice to make the beta closed and therefore create the situation where you have people who have followed the series from day 1 (19+ years ago) watching people on youtube who have never played a GT game before or are not that into racing games experience the closed beta. FFS Polyphony.
It seems like the purpose of the Beta is to test the fixed servers.

The initial phase of the Beta only had people in the USA. The servers were located somewhere in the east of the USA.
The second phase of the Beta added people in Europe. The new servers were located somewhere probably in BeNeLux.

Including Australia in those, given the path that Australia's internet tubes take, is probably simply a decision of playability.

world-submarine-cable-map.png
It's likely that more tests of more servers will come and that an Asian phase, with servers in Japan, will include Australia.

Edit: Actually, maybe not. I'd have thought latency up AJC would be better than this:

pingstats.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I've been playing GT since GT1 also, have met Kazunori Yamauchi probably 10 times, know (professionally) several people at Sony Europe & Playstation, have been to countless Gran Turismo events (including I think eight GT Academy events - winning 'fastest journalist' at one), including Copper Box, wrote two books about Gran Turismo, was a motoring writer for the Press Association when the Beta first came out and write Gran Turismo news for the largest site about Gran Turismo on Earth... and I didn't get an invite until last week, despite it having been available in my region for a month.

And that was only so I could participate in the Media Cup, which, it seems, gave credit to anyone who'd been playing the Beta for that entire month and already ranked up above the default grades.

Last edited:
I read a statement somewhere in these forums where one of the top PD guys said no legacy cars from any of the previous GT's will be included in the new game. I think they're making a big mistake here. A lot of the older cars were enormous fun, particularly the everyday road cars. They had body roll and wheels at all angles when cornering hard, nose dip under brakes, just like the real thing. It looks like GT Sport is going to be quite good but a garage limited to a collection of shiny new things all looking and sounding much the same would get pretty boring after a while. My PS3 sadly died 3 weeks ago (RIP) and I'll wait until Sport is released and fully evaluated before I fork out for a new PS4. The car list is the sole factor that will determine my decision to buy or not. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Last edited:
No legacy cars, I think they're making a mistake here. A lot of the older cars were great fun, particularly the everyday road cars. They had body roll and wheels at all angles when cornering hard, nose dip under brakes, just like the real thing.
Although we've not seen any cars older than 2009 yet, the 'no legacy models' doesn't refer to old cars. It refers to the GT3/GT4 PS2 vehicle assets that were carried over into GT5 and GT6 ('Standard' cars) and looked awful for the most part, compared to the cars modeled for the PS3 ('Premium' cars).

These were models designed for games that ran in 720p and they didn't really belong in a 1080p game. They certainly don't belong in a 4K game.

Edit: Actually, maybe not. I'd have thought latency up AJC would be better than this:

In general, latency from Australia to Asia is the same or worse than latency to the west coast of the US. It doesn't entirely make sense, but that's the practical effect.

There have been a few games that have lumped Australia in with Asia instead of America, and it's generally bad. If we can't get local servers here, west coast of the US is the next best thing. I'm hoping that the fact that they didn't include us in the US beta is indicative of local servers, but I'm not holding my breath.

Latest Posts

Back