GT Sport's New Tokyo Track: One Lap With European Champion Mikail Hizal

Basically Kaz used to love driving his Skyline along the Tokyo highways. But he doesn't anymore, so GT Sport has an armful of Skylines and highways.
These expressway tracks all look so good when playing and on replay. I don't understand why people don't like them apart from the wall riding some people were able to do before some updates fix it.

In my case I earn some sustancial DR points racing road cars and winning some of them in the daily races here.

The only thing I would like these tracks to have is some longer variants, like 10 - 15 km ;)

Altough I understand that PD doesn't want to be involved in supporting illegal street racing and therefor doesn't use real Tokyo highways like the C1 or the Wangan

Wait what?How could they be supporting illegal racing?Those tracks are all closed with various racetrack signs and Marshalls,it's obviously a racetrack.
These expressway tracks all look so good when playing and on replay. I don't understand why people don't like them apart from the wall riding some people were able to do before some updates fix it.

In my case I earn some sustancial DR points racing road cars and winning some of them in the daily races here.

The only thing I would like these tracks to have is some longer variants, like 10 - 15 km ;)

Those Tokyo tracks at night are beautiful

Track is a lot shorter than I expected. Layout looks to be a mix between the Central (undulating sweepers and blind esses) and East (tight hairpin and straight tunnel) layouts. The pit location is pretty cool for its novelty factor - do we have to drift up a spiral ramp to get back on track? :D

Altough I understand that PD doesn't want to be involved in supporting illegal street racing and therefor doesn't use real Tokyo highways like the C1 or the Wangan, I think the current Tokyo tracks, and this one in particular, are a bit too generic. In the end the diiving experience matters, and this south course actually looks like fun, but I miss things like the Tokyo Tower, Skytree, Rainbow Bridge in the background to bring in that Tokyo flair. That would have been an option even with ficitonal tracks.

You know I used to think this was the case, but it doesn't make sense because PD has made many real city circuits based on real roads (one of them is also in Japan - Tokyo R246). So I don't think preventing street racing is the issue. I'd love to see the proper C1 and its surrounding highways replicated in GT. For now, I'll have to settle with mods in AC.

Also wish PD would give touge lovers some love sometime. We've had highways represented since GT1, but no proper mountain roads (except if you count Pikes Peak in GT2).

I like it! Reminds me of NFS Shift's track that happens here.

It does ;) I guess they're based on the same location so there's bound to be similarities.

Also reminds me of the Yokohama Docks drift course from Race Driver GRID.

As a fan of Tokyo Xtreme Racer, the more Tokyo expressway, the more I like. Since Genki hasn't made a game in years utilizing the whole Shutoku Highway system, I rather it appear in other games.
Oh my Gawd.. ohmahgawd..
I had that game imported from Japan on the Dreamcast. All in Japanese, and I couldn't read a thing. I was like 15, and since then forgot the name (edit: never knew the name lmao) until your post.
Best game everrrrr (besides GT of course).. after Shemnue. Ehh.. now I'm split.

first car is DEFINITELY a Firebird.
Ford mustang in the lower left, old Camaro (IROC?) in the lower right, I see a 240Z in there and the F50 of course.
Awesome.
I'm still hoping for a 350Z or new model 370Z to happen soon. Please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult to catch all seven, I guess all the previous cars we already know are there except the Corvette C2 and BMW E92 who I didn’t recognize on silohuette.

Yes now I see the BMW, mid line on right looks like a Classic Ferrari

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll probably drive it once just to have a look... maybe again if it’s in a career mode event... but probably not as I usually skip Tokyo (and Alsace) races. Then never ever come back to it.

I'm dying for those circuits

But, a concern is if they're redesigned it may not have that nostalgic feel. Other than that think of how much of a pain SSR11 would be due to the complex layout despite its beauty / nostalgia.
Interesting point. Look at the new Maple Valley in Forza 7. It was a highly requested track but IMO something is gone.

I like the track. Still not as good as Tokyo Route 246 but still okay. It's also not as good as Grand Valley or Deep Forest but still it's fine.

On another note, does anyone know which Sony TVs they used at the World Finals? I'm wondering if they are actually any good in terms of input lag.

oo

I certainly agree with you there but going on how well GT6 replicated those classic PD tracks, I think these guys are the best at this.
Yep, Apricot Hill, Autumn Ring and Midfield Raceway looked good. Imagine an announcement trailer for the next GT revealing all these classic tracks. :bowdown:

That PIT lane is soo cool!

I wish they could connect all the Tokyo routes and make a small free-roam map. Wonder how much fun that would be online, especially with the pace cars as police. Something PD will never ever do though.
I do not think they will ever make a single track, but it could be like Special Stage Ruote, which are all connected with numbers 👍

Probably would be the laziest and best thing they've ever done for Tokyo Express.

Just join them all up in a huge monster special stage and give it to us with 9 cars.

1: PD wants the tracks to follow general track regulations,Kaz commented once that some parts of Trial Mountain were out of place in a simgame track(like those Rock formations that serve as the track wall)

Meh. They could put invincible fences/tape in front of the rock wall and it would be just as appropriate as something like a city track with high speed sections between two concrete walls.

Meh. They could put invincible fences/tape in front of the rock wall and it would be just as appropriate as something like a city track with high speed sections between two concrete walls.
There's a difference between concrete walls and rock formations that creep into the track,doesn't mean the classic tracks will follow FIA strict regulations(because as the FIA representive said the fantasy tracks don't need to follow FIA rules),Kaz is bothered by how outdated the classic tracks are.

Interesting point. Look at the new Maple Valley in Forza 7. It was a highly requested track but IMO something is gone.

It's very easy to spot the problem with the new Maple Valley,it's devoid of life,if you pause at some moments in the video you can see how colorful the Forza 4 version was with that grey tarmac that gives a backyard track feel instead of the super clean super boring black tarmac Forza 7 version,its a little detail that kills the nostalgia for the track.

There's a difference between concrete walls and rock formations that creep into the track,doesn't mean the classic tracks will follow FIA strict regulations(because as the FIA representive said the fantasy tracks don't need to follow FIA rules)...

There's not a functional difference between concrete walls and invincible fences though, which is what I was proposing.

...Kaz is bothered by how outdated the classic tracks are.

That's because they were last shown on PS3 with PS2 assets. Obviously they'd need to be rebuilt. That doesn't mean that there's anything fundamentally wrong with the layouts, which are well loved.

I like the look and they have Ridge Racer nostalgia factor but the harsh wall penalties combined with narrow blind turns makes online racing often a choice between never overtaking, risking hitting another car for a penalty or graze a wall for an even bigger penalty. If the penalties are smaller people wall ride.

As a result these tracks make me feel too cautious to push the limit and still award me more penalties than any other so I don't enjoy racing on them online. I will enjoy it offline, and am looking forward to the long gently twisting section, and the scenery around the port area. I liked it better than the other Expressway tracks when I saw it at the finals.

I like the look and they have Ridge Racer nostalgia factor but the harsh wall penalties combined with narrow blind turns makes online racing often a choice between never overtaking, risking hitting another car for a penalty or graze a wall for an even bigger penalty. If the penalties are smaller people wall ride.

As a result these tracks make me feel too cautious to push the limit and still award me more penalties than any other so I don't enjoy racing on them online. I will enjoy it offline, and am looking forward to the long gently twisting section, and the scenery around the port area. I liked it better than the other Expressway tracks when I saw it at the finals.
Ok I could agree on that. Anyway If anything I would add more crowd on the sides of the tracks. Although there's not supposed to be people walking around a highway it looks a bit empty sometimes.

Wait what?How could they be supporting illegal racing?Those tracks are all closed with various racetrack signs and Marshalls,it's obviously a racetrack.

You know I used to think this was the case, but it doesn't make sense because PD has made many real city circuits based on real roads (one of them is also in Japan - Tokyo R246). So I don't think preventing street racing is the issue. I'd love to see the proper C1 and its surrounding highways replicated in GT. For now, I'll have to settle with mods in AC.

Also wish PD would give touge lovers some love sometime. We've had highways represented since GT1, but no proper mountain roads (except if you count Pikes Peak in GT2).

Well, night time racing on Tokyo an Yokohama highways has been real for over 30 years, and to a degree still is. You could think that all those teams in Shutokou Battle (Tokyo Extreme racer) / Wangan midnight are all fiction, but to this day those kind of car clubs meet up at Daikou Futo and other spots. I`ve been to Japan many times, last time this spring, and the drifting and highway racing scene still is present, although not as active as 20 years ago, since authorities are taking measures agaist it. And while you, compared to 15 oder 20 years ago, hardly see any cool cars in daily driving anymore, they come out at night, especially on the weekends. And in every Arcade you'll find a Wangan Maximum Tune machine.
Thing is, PD doesn't want to be directly involved with illegal street racing on their home turf. Nobody is racing the R246 area, but the C1 and the Wangan are still raced every week - and I would imagine perfecting your times of the C1-course on Playstation in the morning and then trying to recreate them in reality at night is bad press for PD. Wangan Maximum Tune has all the real tracks, but its anime styling and arcade handling is different to the sim approach of Gran Turismo. Because it would actually be possible to recreate those times to the second.

I'd love some Touge racing aswell, especially since racing games represting that kind of racing ( Kaido Battle, Side by Side special, Touge max etc) are long gone since the PS1 and PS2 era....

Mount Panorama, is lined with concrete walls, to protect from hitting the actual rock lined walls. Easy peasy.

To me the biggest change is the asphalt is darker and there's less colorful trees. Everything else is better in FM7. The lighting could play a part in the darker atmosphere too. But then again I don't have the nostalgic factor so I'm probably not the best person to judge.

With the updated tracks in GT6 (Apricot, Midfield, Autumn Ring) I think PD did a great job of keeping the original feel to be honest. You can't keep the cartoony graphics and oversaturated colours of PS1 era forever. The only thing I really hate is the squared off esses of Grand Valley before the first tunnel. Everything else, I'm happy.

Well, night time racing on Tokyo an Yokohama highways has been real for over 30 years, and to a degree still is. You could think that all those teams in Shutokou Battle (Tokyo Extreme racer) / Wangan midnight are all fiction, but to this day those kind of car clubs meet up at Daikou Futo and other spots. I`ve been to Japan many times, last time this spring, and the drifting and highway racing scene still is present, although not as active as 20 years ago, since authorities are taking measures agaist it. And while you, compared to 15 oder 20 years ago, hardly see any cool cars in daily driving anymore, they come out at night, especially on the weekends. And in every Arcade you'll find a Wangan Maximum Tune machine.
Thing is, PD doesn't want to be directly involved with illegal street racing on their home turf. Nobody is racing the R246 area, but the C1 and the Wangan are still raced every week - and I would imagine perfecting your times of the C1-course on Playstation in the morning and then trying to recreate them in reality at night is bad press for PD. Wangan Maximum Tune has all the real tracks, but its anime styling and arcade handling is different to the sim approach of Gran Turismo. Because it would actually be possible to recreate those times to the second.

I'd love some Touge racing aswell, especially since racing games represting that kind of racing ( Kaido Battle, Side by Side special, Touge max etc) are long gone since the PS1 and PS2 era....

Yes I'm well versed on the story of Midnight Club. These days though it's mostly just car meets at Daikoku/Tatsumi PA and occasional joyrides on the highway. The days of actual racing to 200mph are long gone except for a few rare isolated cases due to traffic and tighter policing. Heck, even most touges are now very restricted with cat eye lane dividers and speedbumps making drifting impossible.

Even if PD recreates C1, it wouldn't be condoning street racing because they would close the road and there will be no traffic. I would think WMMT is also very popular in Japan that despite its arcade nature it would still encourage street racing, and Namco hasn't landed in legal troubles because of that. I just feel that it's the usual Japanese culture of self restraint that prevents PD from fully adding C1 in all its glory, rather than any actual sanctions or legal limitations.

You should really look into getting AC. It has C1, New Belt Line, Wangan and Yokohane lines all modelled in one big free roam map. Also has most of the important Initial D touges (Akina, Akagi, Shomaru, Iroha, Myogi, Usui, Tsuchisaka, Nanamagari). Virtually unlimited cars with mods and the best physics in the business. We will all die from old age if we wait for PD to add these tracks or waiting for Genki/Taito to bring back those games, but with AC the sky is the limit 👍

Back