GT Touring Car Series -- Series finished! Ozwheels3 takes the title!Finished 

• Thread starter flip55
  • 577 comments
I can't touch that time in the Miata. Could be lack of setup, or lack of talent. But it's not my car.

The vw is no where near as fast as the miata and the last thing I have to say about this is there is a HUGE difference between a drivers potential and a cars potential. If you understand that you'll understand what I've been saying.

I do understand what you've been saying, and I think that's where we see things a little differently. I'm thinking it's a driver potential thing because I can't match the pace of the faster Miatas. That is why success ballast based on the previous race results has made more sense to me as opposed to penalizing everyone who choose to drive a Mazda. Miatas are strung about the field, they're not all in the top five.

Is he? My fastest lap at apricot Hill was a 1:21.3xx. What was his best lap out of the 40 laps you guys did? What was anyone's best lap in any car besides the miata? It think it's the car.
I concur but a superior driver can make an average car perform well above its normal performance, with an average driver showing the true characteristics of the car. That has long been the case in F1....take a look at Daniel Riccardo....he is very good but not a front packer in a whatever car....put him in a front line car and he's in the hunt. I drove both at Apricot mine with Flips tune which I use and an untuned Miata. I did this because I was not amused when Miatas drove inside by me on the long sweeper. The Miata is a joy to drive...pure and simple.

And I agree with Flip that punishing the Miata for being good is not what needs to be done. The combination of a superior driver in a superior car is just plain bad for racing...but it is a fact of life...I yawned all the way through the Senna and Schumacher years (except for their way up the grid as rookies) because they were boring....except for the Prost Senna Saga...where you have brilliant but different drivers in the same car. In any case I'll try to stay out of the way as I learn from all of you.

Last edited:
IMy fastest lap at apricot Hill was a 1:21.3xx.

That is a good fast lap there at Apricot! The fastest I posted and recorded before the race was a 1:21.6xx but that did not occur at the race. I believe the fastest lap I pulled during the race was a 1:22 flat. I will say the Miata will get into the 1:20.xxx had a few chances to make it happen, however coming out of the last chicane stopped that from happening each time, but that didn't matter because the race was over.

Also, the whole reason why I am pushing the successive weight gain from the start was because of driver potential, I just didn't know the right term to deliver it with.

Last edited:
We have 5 weeks left and spaces open, so if you feel you can make it in before the season's out, we'd love to have you in!
Cheers, but the time difference means ill be playing in the early morning, ill give this one a miss fellas, shame tho!

Thanks anyway

Oooooooookay... Working on success ballast. Which is kinda complicated. It actually takes a fair amount of weight to really notice a difference and slow you down.

So I this is the best I've come up with. Weight will be added based on race results at the end of each race and carry over to the next one.

Adding weight:
1st -- +60 kg
2nd -- +40 kg
3rd -- +20 kg
Up to 120 kg

Ballast position must remain at 0, as to not change the car's weight distribution.

If you finish 1st in one race, and 3rd in the second, you will leave the weekend with 80 kg. These weights will carry over to the next races, and we will keep track of added weight in the forum, here.

Removing weight:
Any finish outside of the top three will allow you to remove extra ballast weight.
If you have less than or equal to 80 kg, 20 kg will be removed.
If you have over 80 kg, 40 kg will be removed.

If you disconnect, the weight you started the race with will carry forward to the next race.

Not sure how happy I am with the numbers, this may be a bit much. But this is the basic idea of what I think will work the best. So if we were to start using this system this week in Indy:

roog_og would start at + 60
draqua_fresh +40
Somebodyshootme +20

Let me know what you guys think, we have time to tweak before Thursday.

Last edited:
Oooooooookay... Working on success ballast. Which is kinda complicated. It actually takes a fair amount of weight to really notice a difference and slow you down.

So I this is the best I've come up with. Weight will be added based on race results at the end of each race and carry over to the next one.

Adding weight:
1st -- +60 kg
2nd -- +40 kg
3rd -- +20 kg
Up to 120 kg

Ballast position must remain at 0, as to not change the car's weight distribution.

If you finish 1st in one race, and 3rd in the second, you will leave the weekend with 80 kg. These weights will carry over to the next races, and we will keep track of added weight in the forum, here.

Removing weight:
Any finish outside of the top three will allow you to remove extra ballast weight.
If you have less than or equal to 80 kg, 20 kg will be removed.
If you have over 80 kg, 40 kg will be removed.

If you disconnect, the weight you started the race with will carry forward to the next race.

Not sure how happy I am with the numbers, this may be a bit much. But this is the basic idea of what I think will work the best. So if we were to start using this system this week in Indy:

roog_og would start at + 60
Somebodyshootme +20
draqua_fresh +40

Let me know what you guys think, we have time to tweak before Thursday.

Does this fix it, Draqua came in 2nd on the last race, I came in third.

Does this fix it, Draqua came in 2nd on the last race, I came in third.

Oh, whoops! My bad, misread the finishing order.

Revised success ballast:

roog_og -- +60 kg
draqua_fresh -- +40 kg
Somebodyshootme -- +20 kg

I changed it in the above post as well. Draqua ran with +20 last night, said there was a difference, which is good. I hope these values aren't too high.

I'm gonna miss tonight's race. Got a new job and it's kicking my butt. Need the sleep.
That sucks, but a new job is good :). If only there was a way to manage making bank on racing online I would quit one of my bar jobs.

20140403_231542.jpg

There it is I will not go into settings anymore

Back