GT Won is done.PS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 324 comments
So after some intense testing, my car choices for the last races will be:

Road America - Toyota GT-ONE: Based both on the faster lap time and the realization that I can drive those much harder then I thought, the Toyota just feels the most at home here. While the sweeper just after the carousel is abit precarious, it's overall perfect for the track.

Watkins Glen - Mercedes CLK LM: Handling wise, the Mercedes was without a doubt the better of the two around here. This track really highlights and emphasizes the mixed Prototype and GT tendencies of the car, with the aero of the prototype that'll pull you through the fast sections and the mechanical grip of the GT car that allows you to take the curbs and really through it in the corners.

Now to practice how painfully slow I'll be behind everyone despite driving two of the best cars in the field :lol:
My testing was probably less intense: I don't know Road America well but know Watkins Glen, so did 1 lap there in the Toyota, which didn't feel right. Then I noticed @Saltyjoe90 and @Don Mejillone were both using the Ferrari, so I tried that and it felt okay. Have since done a few more laps and I will be using that there. Biggest issue is controlling the car through the Inner Loop and on exit from slow corners.

For Road America I had to do a few slow laps (used the Merc) to remind myself where it goes, then tried the Merc at pace, as well as the Toyota and the Toyota felt better, so will use that there. Need to figure out how to do the last section leading up to the start-finish straight, or I suppose more geographically correctly, the 'straightaway'.
Independence Day Usa GIF by CBS

You've got the gear lever on the wrong side @Napalm_LT :P

The square tubing looks solid, is there any flex in the stand caused by the direct drive wheel?

Those are probably good selections @RACECAR.
I expect to see a lot of Mercs and Toyotas with possibly a Ferrari or two. Maybe a chance of a Porsche or a Panoz. I don't think there'll be many Nissans though, not sure why!

Anyway further to @Hun200kmh's question above...

For the final 2 races I'm introducing a bit of strategy.
We will be using accelerated tyre wear. Depending on the car and your driving style(!) 1 set may just last each race - but only just. You might like to consider a tyre change.
However to affect your tactics and car choices further one race will have rain and the other might have rain. I won't say which or when because you'll have to adapt on the fly, but that will become obvious because it'll rain. Or not. :)

As I said in the above post, there is not a compulsory pit stop required but you might need to stop anyway.

It'd be a shame to miss strategy and tactics Mario. ;)

You've got the gear lever on the wrong side @Napalm_LT :P

The square tubing looks solid, is there any flex in the stand caused by the direct drive wheel?
I added very strong tubes (tube wall 3-4 mm, also added 5 mm pedals plate) and now my rig isn't rock solid, but solid enaught to handle DD1. All my rig's weight is at least 80 kg now. There will be some upgrades, but I am to lazy ATM to do something :)

However to affect your tactics and car choices further one race will have rain and the other might have rain. I won't say which or when because you'll have to adapt on the fly, but that will become obvious because it'll rain. Or not. :)

Please do wether settings more or less real. I remember our Formula Renault race where we needed to pit for rain tyres in the same lap when rain started and thoose who didn't that couldn't get to pits on the next lap.

Please do weather settings more or less real
It will hopefully be somewhat realistic, it's what I always aim for. There's some randomness that's built into PC2's weather transition timing that sometimes throws my calculations out a little. It can't be avoided. The F Renault was supposed to take a few laps to get wet! :boggled:
It adds to the experience I suppose, even I don't fully know to expect!

All my rig's weight is at least 80 kg now.
You don't need to go to the gym, you just need to move your rig around for a while. :)

You don't need to go to the gym, you just need to move your rig around for a while. :)
Actually I did that when gym was closed due to quarantine :)
Since son stole my dumbells I bought few different rubber gums and to do some exercises I needed to attach them to something. This something was my rig and when I used strong gum rig moved. I need to add mo weight to it :)

I noticed @Saltyjoe90 and @Don Mejillone were both using the Ferrari, so I tried that and it felt okay. Have since done a few more laps and I will be using that there. Biggest issue is controlling the car through the Inner Loop and on exit from slow corners.
I did find the Ferrari very marginally quicker in time trial mode (wanted to see how they would compare for out and out pace in ideal conditions).

The rain throws a massive curve ball in the mix; the lack of TC and ABS will disadvantage the Ferrari, or at least demand a greater level of skill and patience. So although I would like to use it in the last week, I'm apprehensive!

I feel like the Toyota should be fastest at RA due to its higher top speed and the long straights, but I couldn't match my Merc time. The Merc feels much sharper easier to control in the corners. I also find the gears tend to be where you want them, whereas in the Toyota they never seem to be in the sweet spot.

Might go for the Toyota purely to avoid being left for dead on the straights, but can't make my mind up. Need to do some testing in the wet.

I'm apprehensive!
Ah my cunning plan is already having an affect, even before the races. :mischievous:

I didn't find the F50 too bad in the wet, although it depends on how wet it gets!

I think I know which cars I'll be using, although I've said that before. I'd probably use the Merc and Toyota just because of the TC, but since I'm not really in the running for the top spot I'm probably going for the less represented ones again.

You need to add a Buttkicker for the full immersion experience. It'll also a some extra weight.
I would like to use it but there are few BUT:
1) I did some research few years ago and find PC2 has not enough low freguences and not every equipment work well with it. I think Sick can confirm that because he have shaker.
2) Noice. As I said some time ago, noice level is critical for me because our races are at 22.00-23.40, I live in a falt and had neighbor visit due to noices (sound from H-shifter and pedals are realy loud, so I can only imagine what would be if I use shaker :) ).

Last edited:
Road America: I will use the mercedes CLK-LM (Number 26)
Watkins Glen: The Ferrari F50 GT (Number 63)

Cu all next Monday and hopefully you too John !

I would like to use it but there are few BUT:
1) I did some research few years ago and find PC2 has not enough low freguences and not every equipment work well with it. I think Sick can confirm that because he have shaker.
2) Noice. As I said some time ago, noice level is critical for me because our races are at 22.00-23.40, I live in a falt and had neighbor visit due to noices (sound from H-shifter and pedals are realy loud, so I can only imagine what would be if I use shaker :) ).
Yes Don hopefully wheel be delivered in time for the last race.

Sometimes when I'm racing, coming through floor.

Ok, good news and (at least for me) bad news.

1. After much deliberation an in-house negotiation I managed to find a solution so will be taking part in today's event.

2. Have zero practise. Will try to log in at about 7 PM so I can get some idea on what cars to use in these tracks (and to remember how to drive properly around them)

I am not in the running for a top spot so if my understanding is that I'm a liability on track I will black flag myself, don't want to ruin anyone else's races.

1. After much deliberation an in-house negotiation I managed to find a solution so will be taking part in today's event.

2. Have zero practise. Will try to log in at about 7 PM so I can get some idea on what cars to use in these tracks (and to remember how to drive properly around them)
  1. Are you having to wash the dishes for a month? :)
  2. Just turn right. Mostly.
Glad you can make it.

Barely remembered this race is today while preparing for finals. Keep me informed, I'm having a mild case of tunnel vision @IfAndOr

Last edited:
Quick recap

So, being away from home meant I wasn't supposed to take part in this "finale" but I'm glad I managed. Getting the mrs to agree with taking the playseat off my home and into the van was the hard part , getting a internet-able home in the countryside was raeggee's gift (although, how can you have a country home where the fridge hasn't got a single beer is beyond me ... )

So after setting myself (and the PS4, and the pkayseat, and the wheel ... ) up in I logged in with one hour to spare, joined a "Road America" lobby hosted by Simon, tried the Merc, seemed fine, and left the lobby to try Watkins Glen. Picked the Toyota for a few laps, it was ok so that was it, Paul's invite showed up, it was race time.

Race 1 (WG/ Toyota) - Did 7th on the grid, many mistakes later finished 7th also. I do remember having Paul close behind for a couple of laps and raeggee up front, but I simply wasn't consistent.

Race 2 - I think I did 5th on the grid, but a long way away from the top guns. First lap I managed to keep with the front of the field but then again a mistake in the last corner made me spin and I let the whole field go by, resuming in penultimate position. From then on I managed to do some consistent lapping and got close to the second group of guys (again the 3 top guns + Racecar were unreachable). And then started a fun and close race with @beachboy6658, lasting maybe the better part of 20 minutes. I was faster in some parts of the track, he was faster in others, but he didn't do mistakes while I had to push and push and sometimes I was making them ... anyway it was fun and I only won that particular race because beachnoy pitted for wets one lap too late. I didn't exactly manage to do the undercut (he left the pits right in front of me) but after one full lap with the wets I was already confident with them and beachboy, still in his outlap, was tiptoeing a bit.

I have to say that my 4th place in the end was mostly due to tyre saving (maybe the Merc is better at tyre wear). After the race I talked with raeggee and he told me he just couldn't keep out anymore, his front-left tyre was destroyed. So he, and a few others (Racecar and Richard, maybe Don also), had to pit twice and that gave me a few places up the order.

In any case, my race results were a bit meh ... my only consolation is that I managed to improve my laptimes during the event, even if that was in the end meaningless. Like this:

Watkins Glen
Quali - gap to pole position - 3,5 s
Race - gap to fastest lap - 0,6 s

Road America
Quali - gap to pole position - 1,9 s
Race - gap to fastest lap - 0,2 s

Final words to congratulate @Napalm_LT for his well deserved win in this championship, and both to @Saltyjoe90 Joe and @Zolon32 for their excellent races, all three of you were consistently fastest and managed great results with all the cars you drove.

Last but not least, a big thank you to @IfAndOr for creating once again a championship that was interesting, different from all the previous, challenging and most of all FUN. Can't wait for whatever you have in store for this group, I just hope my increasing difficultty in reconciling "real life" with this motorsports career I have here won't keep me from turning up (to race) most mondays.

Cheers all, it has been fun! 👍 :cheers:

Last edited:
Oooh close. Well done Napalm. Although what about my 75 point bonus for using every car? :P
To early congratulations :).
@half_sourly there are mistakes in the table - I was leading by 1 point, yesterday I got 26, Salty - 27, so we should have the same amount of points. I think Salty have more victories and won the chanpioship. Well done @Saltyjoe90 .

As for +75 extra points - they should go to @Zolon32, because he is the only one, who used all cars (and you Paul?). I was going to use Nissan at Le Mans, but was away and skiped this race.

Many thans Paul for organizing this champioship. It was superb and the cars change rule was very immersive.
According to me, I almost didn't cars testing for actual track, just get Merc for 1 race because I like it (never drived it before :) ), get Toyota for 2 race, because car looked very "aerish" and I expected it should be good for rain race. McL have top speed on the specs so I kept it for Imola, but was surprised it is very weak on straights and right before race I switched to Ferrari and so on.

For yesterday race I didn't test cars too. I knew I will use Merc for one of the race, because it's fastest and easy to drive, but what another car was a question. Maybe Toyota (Paul stated we can expect rain)? So it will be Toyota, Racecar posted about his testings and confirmed that :). Actually I was surprised Toyota was so much slower than Merc, especially in the rain. I did 35 min. test race against AI's on Sunday and only now I understand why I was up to 3 seconds slower.

And small disspointment due to yesterday first race, because I did to many mistakes:
1) I kept 1 place after start, did a few seconds gap and just kept it. I saved tyres and looked it will be eassiest race in this championship, but game caught me again - at some point track become dry very quickly and rain tyres started to overheat. So my Sunday driving instead of racing was a mistake, because I just wasted Merc advantages in the rain.
2) 2 mistake - I pitted to late, 2 or 3 laps after Zolon, when noticed he is more than 3 seconds faster
3 and the last mistake - puddle on the pit entry line caught me and I spined :).
So I did everythink to not win this race :)

BTW sorry @Saltyjoe90 for accident - you was very lagy all the time - you was on track, on the grass, track, grass and I couln't notice where acctually you are.

Last edited:
To early congratulations :).
@half_sourly there are mistakes in the table - I was leading by 1 point, yesterday I got 26, Salty - 27, so we should have the same amount of points. I think Salty have more victories and won the chanpioship. Well done @Saltyjoe90 .
Thank you for pointing that out Napalm; I forgot to add the last race's score. The table is now updated in my original results post.

Oooh again, it's even closer this morning! Just in case it changes again I'll just say...
Well done to those on the podium. ;)

And indeed, as usual, well done to all those who took part. These GT1 beasts weren't the easiest to control!

Last but not least, a big thank you to @IfAndOr for creating once again a championship that was interesting, different from all the previous, challenging and most of all FUN.
Many thanks Paul for organizing this championship. It was superb and the cars change rule was very immersive.
It's my pleasure gents. I enjoy doing it and as long as you're also enjoying racing in them then it's all worth it.

being daft enough to pick the Nissan paid off in the end
Did I mention the next series was just the Nissan? :mischievous:

And talking about the next series. I've quickly created something fun to fill the gap before Zo's VGTAs start in January, there will be a new thread up shortly with the details. It will be
"different from all the previous".

Back