GT1 Memories

• Thread starter Nidgi
  • 376 comments
Because 6 cars wouldn't even fit into such a small course :lol:

Anyway on topic: My absolute nemesis for license tests back then was IA-3 and above, no matter how hard I tried, my times were never good enough even for bronze. So I quit playing GT1 for a while and played GT2 instead which had more cars. 6 months later I got those tests quite easily, my experience driving a variety of cars in GT2 helped a lot. When I started golding the tests, IA is my first prey. Then B, then A last. The very last test I got gold on is A6 (I think, it's the Prelude on GVS). A4, surprisingly, is not that hard for me. And yeah, A8 remains a novelty thing ;) I love trying out that test time and again to break my previous time record :)

A4 is killer indeed. As for the course, why not? Pit lane would be twice as long as the course, but all in fun, right?

Once again back on topic, fending off voracious Imprezas, Silvias, FTOs and MR-2s in a dinky Trueno was certainly a fond memory for me. I relived it today.

Well, for a start, it would be impossible to overtake on that course, two cars wouldn't be able to get side by side at all. Of course it's fun, but if the racing's going to be like a slow procession then what's the point? I think if the track is wider and a bit longer then it's possible to race.

Another fond memory for me is when I played split screen with my uncle (he's the one who introduced me to GT). I would use the FC and he would use the Evo IV, track is always Clubman R5, and laps set to 30, tire damage slow. We would race all night, drifting and passing each other in turns, straights, during pitstops, etc. A lot of fun 👍. When one of us feel the need to go to the loo we paused the game. Sometimes I decided to unpause it before he came back to gain a few seconds ahead of him, cheating, I know, but he was way better than me back then. We would take short snack breaks, then continue. After we finish one of us is not going to accept the defeat, and we would race again!

That was when I'm 6 years old, now I'm almost 16. Good times.......

Well, for a start, it would be impossible to overtake on that course, two cars wouldn't be able to get side by side at all. Of course it's fun, but if the racing's going to be like a slow procession then what's the point? I think if the track is wider and a bit longer then it's possible to race.

Er... it would just be interesting to watch?

Interesting it will be, because you've never seen something like that before, but after 2 or 3 times it would get boring. The cars will just go round and round and follow each other, no action. That's why I consider making it a bit wider so 2 cars could squeeze in side by side and some overtaking can happen. Now that's action :).

Some of my funniest GT1 memories must be my friend accidentally doing like the longest drift I've ever seen in an old pee-yellow Silvia i had bought just for fun, the rear wheels lost grip in the middle point of the tunnel in Clubman Stage 5 (or SS5, not 100% sure) and the car went sideways like 400 metres until it stopped in the middle of the road.
We instantly bursted laughing :P

One other thing was our "GT Drinking Contest", we had some beers and were bored and came up with the idea that the winner takes a chug after every race,
2 laps with random cars from the memory cards on random tracks (we just tapped the d-pad without looking).

After a few rounds the "handicap" started effecting, I couldn't catch my friend driving a mint-green Honda CRX with my 800+hp Supra (which happened to be also mint-green? lol) on Autumn Mini.
We were quite even on the later events, about every other race won by my friend and then me again after he had the drink.
Finally we were just driving from a wall to another, and confused with the buttons so we had to quit. But that was fun! :)

I don't support drunk driving but this way it is safer to drive like a moron! :)

Some of my funniest GT1 memories must be my friend accidentally doing like the longest drift I've ever seen in an old pee-yellow Silvia i had bought just for fun, the rear wheels lost grip in the middle point of the tunnel in Clubman Stage 5 (or SS5, not 100% sure) and the car went sideways like 400 metres until it stopped in the middle of the road.
We instantly bursted laughing :P

Swweeet!
One other thing was our "GT Drinking Contest", we had some beers and were bored and came up with the idea that the winner takes a chug after every race,
2 laps with random cars from the memory cards on random tracks (we just tapped the d-pad without looking).

After a few rounds the "handicap" started effecting, I couldn't catch my friend driving a mint-green Honda CRX with my 800+hp Supra (which happened to be also mint-green? lol) on Autumn Mini.
We were quite even on the later events, about every other race won by my friend and then me again after he had the drink.
Finally we were just driving from a wall to another, and confused with the buttons so we had to quit. But that was fun! :)

I don't support drunk driving but this way it is safer to drive like a moron! :)

Hah! This is just like a friend I had a few years back, except we were toking a bong instead of drinking!

Last edited:
LOL

GT1...

The first time you play it, you're either dumb about cars or have a basic understanding...

(WTF? MA70? AE86? EG6? RPS13?...)

And NOW! You are the 'real-driving genius' that Gran Turismo has turned you into...

(WTF? MA70? AE86? EG6? RPS13?...He doesn't know what they are...he's probably never played a GT game...)

AHAHAHA :)

My memories ...

Racing with my dad, and him serving my ass every time.

If he was still with us i guess i could give him some competition now that i'm better...

Heh, I remember not being able to win any spot races with my stock sylvia, and wanting the viper so bad, I lost enough races and saved up enough money to eventually buy the viper. I then got better, and raced the sunday cup and clubman cup over and over again to get enough money to buy the castrol supra, and the GTO LM. Good times

The Viper was a very iconic car in GT1. It appeared on the disk (ntsc version if that matters) and right there in the intro, coming at you with all it's badass-ness. It was also used along with the Griffith as the only I-A license test cars. Too bad the blue with white stripes color scheme hasn't been available on Vipers in any other GT game since though (save for the GT2 race mod IIRC). :(

Yeah, that's my favorite color scheme! Blue and white Viper. :boggled: And not never again has it appeared except GT1.

The Viper in GT1 has a very distinctive sound too, sounds more like an exotic than a muscle car. The Viper in GT2 is too quiet 👎.

I'm reliving GT1 at present. Just completed the Japan vs. UK races by winning with my [Mitsubishi] GTO. While I loved this car so much, I'm thinking about how to stop this car from bogging down in some of the corners. I'm even more impressed with my race-tuned Dodge Viper GTS (not the GTS-R). It's set up just right out of the box. While future GTs have been more realistic in various aspects, it's always great just to have fun with the classic GT formula. You begin to notice a lot of how tracks are made if you play it on the PS2 and have the Texture Mapping as Smooth from the PlayStation 2 BIOS. You begin to notice the edges of textures used to fill up the tracks. Trees are hard to design correctly in games, so you often see flat sprites or even psuedo-3D sprites like in most classic first-person shooter games.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to set some cars up here...

I'm reliving GT1 at present. Just completed the Japan vs. UK races by winning with my [Mitsubishi] GTO. While I loved this car so much, I'm thinking about how to stop this car from bogging down in some of the corners. I'm even more impressed with my race-tuned Dodge Viper GTS (not the GTS-R). It's set up just right out of the box. While future GTs have been more realistic in various aspects, it's always great just to have fun with the classic GT formula. You begin to notice a lot of how tracks are made if you play it on the PS2 and have the Texture Mapping as Smooth from the PlayStation 2 BIOS. You begin to notice the edges of textures used to fill up the tracks. Trees are hard to design correctly in games, so you often see flat sprites or even psuedo-3D sprites like in most classic first-person shooter games.

Yeah, that Viper GTS from the dealer winds up being lighter, and is better than the Viper you win as a prize. Welcome back, JohnBM. I'm having a bit of a GT2 revival at the moment, myself.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to set some cars up here...

You're such a handsome man. I wish I could put my face in an avatar. :guilty:

Last edited:
Wow... thank you very much, Parnelli Bone. I'm honored. I want to do a GT2 revival, but I don't have a second PS1 memory card in which to begin a new GT2 campaign. I think I was able to make my [Mitsubishi] GTO better with some suspension tuning as well as some Brake Balance settings. I'm trying to relive the joy of having a super-powerful car that is its own thrill ride. This is "time of my life" material.

Another fond memory for me is when I played split screen with my uncle (he's the one who introduced me to GT). I would use the FC and he would use the Evo IV, track is always Clubman R5, and laps set to 30, tire damage slow. We would race all night, drifting and passing each other in turns, straights, during pitstops, etc. A lot of fun 👍. When one of us feel the need to go to the loo we paused the game. Sometimes I decided to unpause it before he came back to gain a few seconds ahead of him, cheating, I know, but he was way better than me back then. We would take short snack breaks, then continue. After we finish one of us is not going to accept the defeat, and we would race again!

That was when I'm 6 years old, now I'm almost 16. Good times.......

:idea:WOW!!! You just practically summed up my GT history aswell then, My Uncle introduced me to GT as well:D, We always raced on Route 5, because that was the track I knew well, and he was a fair bit better than me back then, just like your uncle. lol and yes I didnt like being defeated on my own track...so we raced again...I would have a better car to help me stay in front. They were really good times, GT has been something I have grown up with to, we have always raced clean, and now since I've gotten older I have gotten better than my Dad, and now my uncle has a hard to ever betating me...they use to give me a hard time about being slow( Just joking around though), And I got sick of coming last...so I did something about it lol!:lol:
You know, I have a catchy slogan for PD if they want it.:D
"GT, it's not just a game, its a lifestyle".👍
I find myself referencing GT when talking about driving in general, and other bad drivers in real life probably being punters in GT lol:D. Nah GT is the only game I have played seriously, I'm not really interested in other games, only one other game I can think of interests me and thats the new Ace Combat that's coming to PS3 shortly, but thats it. On thing is for sure, the original music soundtrack for the early GT game's(1 & 2) were really good:dopey:. I loved songs such as 'Feeder- Sweet 16', 'Overseer- Screw up' and one of my all time favorites is 'The Cardigans- My favorite game'.👍 If any of you guys that read this post, if you don't have these songs, Do youself a favor and track them down. They bring back good memory's. ;)

Nice to know we share the same history 👍 :). Whenever I play GT1 these days I feel like going back in time many many years, it just feels so old now...But still addicting :D!

I still remember how scared I was to race a rear-wheel drive car in GT1. That's why I treasured racing my 3000GT. With enough money, I may think about maxing out a Honda NSX. A poll I saw in the late 1990s was if the [Mitsubishi] GTO or NSX was better. I would have said the GTO.

The most fun aspect of Race Modification was that you could take a street car and make it a proper race car. There has never been a proper Race Modification system since GT2. Sometimes, I just buy cars in the game just to see how they'd look race modified. Sadly, you'd get only two color schemes. This even includes colors completely different from an existing paint scheme. The biggest examples are a black Impreza Rally Car and the Castrol colors being white/red/blue instead of white/red/green. Castrol was the only real sponsor for most cars in race trim. GT2 would see more interesting paintschemes including some with multiple colors as well as different color schemes for some cars.

Yeah that's true about the racing schemes. To this day I still haven't seen every single GT2 race-kit, so I occasionally still get surprised by a game that's almost 10 years old.

Last edited:
So true. I remember thinking that just slapping a race-mod on your car will turn it into a supercar. I bought an Impreza WRX STi Type-R, slaps the $85,000 RM on it and entered the US vs JP Championship, oblivious to other upgrades. Just imagine what a shock it was for me when I can't even stay within 10 seconds of the pack :lol:. Don't you think the price for RMs in GT1 (and GT2 aswell) is a bit of a rip-off though? $85,000 for bolt-on body-kits, painting and lightening is a bit much methinks...

[size=+1]GT[/size] is sort of a role-playing game. One idea it contains is diminishing returns. All best modifications are much more expensive compared to their lesser counterparts. The idea was that you'd carefully choose which modifications gave the best value-for-money. Unfortunately, after playing for a while, money becomes too easy to obtain, and mostly destroys that principle.

Racing-modification is the ultimate "weight-reduction". Look at how cheap the first stage is compared to the other stages, even though later stages don't remove all that much more weight.

And, unless you're entering the racing-car series, racing modification is cheating. And if you are entering the racing series, you can win some of them with some tuned cars.

And, in many cases, "racing modification" looks like more than just a tuner-shop add-ons. They occasionally picked real-life GT class prototypes to model. To fully tune a car takes around Cr150,000, depending upon what max power options are available, and whether you buy options (e.g. TS2 and TS3 as well as TS4). Cr85,000 isn't too much out-of-line with that, to add aero tuning, and a little more weight-reduction (and supposedly a complete chassis rebuild for strengthening, etc.). $235,000 would be a lot of money to throw into a $10,000 car, but at the higher values, you should pretend you're running a high-end racing team, and that would seem cheap, I'm reasonably sure.

You want a quibble? What's with the infinite supplies of tires?

Or, why pay Cr500,000 for a special model when you can build better for under Cr300,000?

Last edited:
Well in GT4 they actually explain what happens:

Stage 1: additional seat(s) get removed, along with interior pleasantries like upholstery, sound-deadening and maybe some unneeded accessories like A/C. Stage 1 is so cheap because nothing is being replaced...parts are just being unbolted and thrown away.

Stage 2: some body panels and such exterior parts are replaced by lighter parts...so this could mean something like replacing a steel hood with an aluminum or carbon-fiber one. 💡 Additional parts are also thrown away like in Stage 1.

Stage 3: Sort of like Stage 2 but stage 3 goes even further..so I'm assuming parts of the car in harder-to-reach areas are replaced. Also, specialized parts that cost more to make than on a regular dealer-bought car (like a control arm of a suspension) are replaced. Stage 3 is so much more expensive in my opinion because there is more precision involved.

Race-modification: Now we're taking the body-shell and chassis or frame and modifying it to LeMans/GT2-level full-racing status. I don't know why this is so expensive...at this point, shouldn't all the companies that are getting their name put on your car be paying us some sponsorship money at this point? :confused:
That's how i look at it anyways...

Now in GT2, this (again in my opinion) gets all out of wack. I've noticed each reduction often removes about the same amount of weight...in other words, Stage 1 removes about 50 pounds from an Infiniti G20. So does Stage 2. So does Stage 3.

But in GT4, each stage removes a variable amount of weight; usually Stage 1 removes the most weight despite being cheapest. Depending on the car, Stages 2 and 3 won't remove quite as much despite costing astronomically more.

In Gran Turismo 2, cars wind up being the heaviest with full weight removed. A Viper GTS in GT2 will wind up being heavier than the ones found in GT1. :boggled: Which game is right? Who knows....

Last edited:
I think you said "4" when you meant "1".

I'm sort of assuming they'd be talking costs before sponsorship. Obtaining sponsorship could be a whole new dimension in the series. (Or think of prize money as sponsorship).

I think you said "4" when you meant "1".

No that's what I meant. GT4 removes a variable amount of weight. GT1 probably does, too, but I'm not remembering. GT2 it's like whoever was in charge of programming weight reductions didn't put as much thought into it or something.
I'm sort of assuming they'd be talking costs before sponsorship. Obtaining sponsorship could be a whole new dimension in the series. (Or think of prize money as sponsorship).

My nephew plays Forza and you get to find sponsorship in that game.

I've always thought of it as: you get paid directly by GT for winning a race, and then you have a choice: either you can take the prize car, or take money offered by that company, which is like sponsorhip money from that company.

Last edited:
Back