GT1 Memories

• Thread starter Nidgi
  • 376 comments
Yeah I thought that too, but you can't reprogramme it can you.

Another thing which bugs me is, how come you can get tyre changes (sponcered by Bridgestone) in the endurace races but for some reason you don't need to refule. They do have racing fule, Castrol!

Well, fuel monitoring did show up...in GT4. Not in earlier games. You might already know this, tho.

I still remember flipping the GTO Twinturbo with my sister in High Speed Ring when i was about 6 years old. :) Those were the days...

You flipped it ? All the way?

Not exactly, i sent it almost sideways hitting the wall on the last corner, it went over top all the other cars. :lol: I was a crazy driver when i was 6 years old.

I've noticed on GT4 in the info of Stage 3 weight reduction, it says something about the "drastic reduction in weight". I've always thought, hang on, stage 3 removes less than 2 and 1. :boggled:

Last edited:
..yeah, that's true. Stage 1 often removes the most weight. It's also the cheapest to implement, since all youre doing is tearing out seats, carpeting, sound proofing, safety stuff, etc.

I was so enamored when I saw mom's car in GT1 back then...

civic.gif

I think the 12 year old version of me would be proud. :)

rallyx.jpg

rallyx2.jpg

I still check in on you guys!

Is that you driving the car? Nice shots 👍.

On the subject of flipping, you can flip a car (almost) 90 degrees sideways in GT1 if your car is very light and the suspension is very stiff. You'd have to be squeezed very harshly by an AI into the wall tho. I experienced this with a Cerbera LM in SSR11 once. It also sent me flying over other cars. Some tall & light cars however (Demio comes to mind), can almost topple themselves over if you drive them over high kerbs. I don't think rolling the car is possible, or else the game's physics engine will get all screwy...

Demios and Cerberas can stay on two wheels for what seems like fairly long periods of time. Some sort of fail-safe prevents complete flipping. This allows you to drive out of any accident. No artificial "reset" is ever necessary. (Contrasted to e.g. Tourist Trophy), I think there's some two-wheeled driving in the SSR11 demo? But perhaps I'm thinking of AI in one of my own saved demos.

I can still vividly remember a "Wizard Prang" I had once when racing at the test course ( I think I was using a souped up Supra).
I lost control down low or got clipped by another car ( details a bit hazy as I am very ancient :) ) and ended up doing several 360 degree spins.
Nothing remarkable there you might say, but, these spins occured as I was pinned vertically and sliding along against the wall on the outside of the turn ( turn 2 I think).
I have no replay but I am going to try and reproduce the incident in between runs in the Red Sun Tourni.

Later.

Demios and Cerberas can stay on two wheels for what seems like fairly long periods of time. Some sort of fail-safe prevents complete flipping.

Yup, this is true of Miatas, too. Maybe lightweight Civic hatches, too, although I don't exactly remember.

Last edited:
I think there's some two-wheeled driving in the SSR11 demo? But perhaps I'm thinking of AI in one of my own saved demos.

You mean a Lantis going up on 2 wheels in the SSR11 demo? That certainly brings back memories...

I can still vividly remember a "Wizard Prang" I had once when racing at the test course ( I think I was using a souped up Supra).
I lost control down low or got clipped by another car ( details a bit hazy as I am very ancient :) ) and ended up doing several 360 degree spins.
Nothing remarkable there you might say, but, these spins occured as I was pinned vertically and sliding along against the wall on the outside of the turn ( turn 2 I think).
I have no replay but I am going to try and reproduce the incident in between runs in the Red Sun Tourni.

Later.

That would be insane :scared:. Here's hoping you can reproduce it :).

I will do my best !!!

Wow,thinking about that has really opened up the floodgates of memories for me.
I bought a PS1 bundled with GT as a sort of "house" Christmas present about one year after it came out ( my Son had been nagging me to get a console for ages ).

I was completely hooked by the end of the Holidays, having never seen anything quite like it before, most experience prior to GT1 was with those cheesy arcade things you found in the local Cinema.

I was not very good to start with but gradually improved my skills ( the Licence tests are an excellent learning tool ). I can still remember the triumph I felt :cheers: when I eventually amassed enough points to win the "Normal" Car Championship, I doubt Hamilton was any more exultant when he won his World Championship.

More stories later.

I remember that special Black RX-7 FD, perhaps the RZ version or something being the cause of all my problems in the Sunday Cup when I first got it. I never drove that car again, but I do love FD RX-7s.

I got a playstation for my 7th birthday and gt was my first game. i stayed up all night playing. my favorite car was the blue viper with white stripes and the castrol jgtc supra. i actually thought the castrol car was a corn flakes car haha.

Like everyone, GT1 was where it all started for me. I saw Gran Turismo set up in the local K-Mart where I picked it up and had a go. I was rubbish because I was not a computer game player but loved cars (no, I never even had an Atart 2600 - my brother got that). So GT1 got me hooked on computer games as well.

I remember saving like mad for a PS1 (remember, they were really expensive when they came out) and finally got it, only to realise I needed another controller and a memory card and the game. That was an expnsive day.

I played the game and played the game until I knew all the menus back to front and I could actually strat the game and leave the TV off and navigate my way into a race menu with the TV off from the repetitive playing. I was reading some of the responses out from this thread to my gf and she remembers GT1 as well. She was, I guess you can say, a Gran Turismo widow.....! (We are still together)

Favourite moments for me were seeing the intro movie in aboslute awe and wondering if perhaps, one day, they could make the game graphics that good. And of course they did that with the release of the PS2! I adored the massive range of cars available, and I also loved that there were 'ordinary' cars available - not just top level supercars like in every other game ever made, but real cars like Civics, Lantis' (in Australia Mazda 323s) etc all the way to Corvettes, Vipers, Skyline GT-Rs, Supras, NSXs and then the most awesome Supra Castrol GT race car.

I got to the point where I had played the game so much that I knew where the best replay camera angles were so I'd drive a clean couple of laps and deliberately drive a specific angle to ensure the replay looked realistic. The High Speed Ring gave some great static camera shots for this. In addition, Laps 2/3 on the Grand Valley course gave an aerial view looking down across the start finish line which I always liked.

My favourite car was a gun-grey R32 GT-R Nismo road car after I'd lightened it, added racing brakes and added super soft tyres (but left the power standard). I could destroy Vipers and the like under brakes and through corners but had to try to hold them off down the straights. I also really enjoyed the Pulsar/Sunny GTi-R (where has that gone Polyphony?)

I could never keep the NSX in a straight line under braking so steered clear of that, thought the Mitsibishi GTO was too heavy in standard form, loved the FTO in race form, and loved the Castrol Supra race car. It had the best sound when the speakers were turned right up and you were in time trial with no other cars on the track so it was your own engine echoing around the circuit. The TVR Cerbera race car was one of the fastest cars on the game - around the High Speed Ring it was magic. I really loved the Nissan GT-R LM cars (Clarion and the Keep the Dream Alive) but their absurdly bouncing suspension was frustrating, if challenging. I found that certain tracks were off limits to that car - Trial Mountain was just too painful with bouncy suspension.

The greatest moments came of course playing two player. A friend and I lost many weeks of our lives playing against each other. We'd invariably drive Grand Valley (the full circuit which is a favourite right through to GT4) and have something like a Supra road car and an RX7 Series VI road car - all of our races were road cars because they were a challenge with a lack of grip but also because we considered road cars the most fun. That first corner would usually see one of us end in the sand trap at the first corner hairprin whereby we'd have to restart the race. In the end it was easier to agree not to race too hard until that first hairpin was out of the way, or if one of us went off, the other would wait, then we'd line up and count down together from a standing start. These standing starts would even be done no revs or full revs, The no-revs starts would be useful in working out which had the lower gearing and best acceleration. The STi Impreza and Evo IV roadcars gave great races - particularly around Deep Forest.

I got gold in every licence and got every car including the TRD 3000GT Supra (what a disappointment) and the Nismo 400R. I lived and breathed GT1 and the only thing that could have been better was the imminent release of GT2.....

I went and tried GT2 the other week and was stunned at how hard it was to keep on the road with savage car movements under braking. I recall that GT1 was even worse. The pixelated gra[hics also came as rude shock and I remember them being state of the arts and unreal on release. How quickly we adapt..... It has been years since I've loaded GT1 up. I don't know if I could do so now because I don't want to be disappointed. I'd rather remember it as a game that was ahead of its time, revolutionised an entire genre, introduced me to computer games (which I followed up with a PS2 and now PS3 - all due to the GT series only), created entire online communities like this one, and brought friends together in front of PSOnes and TV's across the globe to play arguably the most groundbreaking car racing game ever made. Every subsequent Gran Turismo release owes something to the original. It has been a real trip back through memory lane recounting my experiences in this post. KY has brought a lot of joy to a lot of people.

Last edited:
^^beautiful story there.

Funny thing: I'm also guilty of navigating menus while watching TV or internet, because I know them so well!

Last edited:
I'm going through GT1 at the minute because I've been extremely bored.

I still don't get why people rate the Cerbera LM so highly, the handling is way too twitchy for my tastes, and it never really seems that fast.

To add to this I did the Japan vs UK series three times and got three Cerbera LM's!

Gonna race modify all if not most of my cars, but only if I can find the real life version somewhere.

I might start a thread showing the GT1 RM version, and the real life version if I can be bothered.

And I still, after 11 ****ing years cannot gold the A2 (I think it's A2) license. Supra RZ with the last and first turn at Deep Forest, it's doing my head in.

me and my mitsubishi gto tt, always winning races, 930hp with everything on it, good times

Speak of the..... 2 things come to mind that I've just been listening to today.:dunce:

This:

And this:

I also remember doing the GVS 300km enduro in the Impreza Rally Car, and only needing 2 pitstops as the WRX was remarkable on tyres. I loved the enduros, such a sense of purpose, desire and epicness in the enduros.:) Can't wait to do the GVS 300km in GT5 now.:drool:

Speak of the..... 2 things come to mind that I've just been listening to today.:dunce:

Are you sure you aren't my alter ego from across the globe or something? :odd:

If I had to name a few things that will shape my memories of GT until the end of my days they'd be the Impreza Rally Car (my first "true" race car), GVS300 (won it with that very same car), and all that with Sweet 16 and Lose Control playing in the background. It's a magic combination that is hard to beat, I don't have any such memories for GT2 or GT3 but some for GT4.

Good point. My GT1 days were fairly short (just 4 months) but I have fond memories of them. Running home from my 2 to 10 shift at Kinko's so I could get my next GT fix. :D

Then I delved into GT2 for well over 2 years, and I also have fond memories there too. I used to create stories and stuff; really get into the imaginative part. I guess it was pure regression. I don't write stories anymore (who has time? )

GT3 memories weren't as touching. I was going thru some bad times then...the game became more or less an escape. The beginning is so easy, but later there is so much racing to get done, and a lot of it is so repetitive.

I'm sure when (if) I'm ever done with GT4, I'll have better memories. Mostly all the vintage, oddball, and even some ordinary cars in that game.

Last edited:
Back