GT3 Drift Guide now online

• Thread starter CudaMan
  • 299 comments

CudaMan

Premium
United States
California
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~ccimoc/drift/driftguide.htm

For all you aspiring drifters. I'm not much of a writer, but read it a few times and you should get the general idea. After releasing Gran Dorifto 2, I got a lot of requests to teach people how to drift. Well, nobody's paying me, so rather than give individual instruction to several people I figured it'd be more time efficient to write a sort of how-to on the basics of drift in GT3 and to tell everyone to go read it. ;)

I hope I didn't leave anything out.

:lol: They should call you Drift_Man rather than Cudaman.....

Great guide :thumbsup:, Have you ever drifted in a real car? :car:

A Simple Guide to GT3 Drift Fun

A Note About the Term 'Drift'

There are several meanings associated with this word. So for the sake of clarity here, when I refer to drifting in this document I'm talking about "exhibition drifting" - the kind performed simply because it's fun and challenging. It has nothing to do with fast lap times except in extremely rare circumstances. The four wheel drift, a racing technique for faster lap times, is not discussed here.

So What is Exhibition Drifting?

Simply put, drifting is the art of controlling a car sideways. Sounds simple enough, right? The truth is, there are several techniques and styles involved in drifting, and it takes a lot of practice and patience to do it well. Drifting is not going to produce faster cornering speeds or lower lap times. It's purely a stylish, challenging, and FUN way to drive through a corner. Drifting culture is big in Japan in real life, and there are drift competitions held which rate drivers on style, speed, and precision.

Some of you may be thinking that drifting has no real value to the racer, then. On the contrary, it's a valuable skill to posess. I won't go into details here, but drifting can be beneficial in two ways. One, a driver who is comfortable pushing a car way beyond its limits will not panic when those limits are exceeded unintentionally (while racing, for example). His or her instinctual reactions will take over and recover the car gracefully. Secondly, drifting can be used to carry a less than ideal line through a corner to set up or make a pass.

Control

In GT3 you can drift with the standard DualShock2 controller, but it is best experienced with a force feedback wheel. As such, this document is written with a wheel in mind. I use the old Logitech GT Force, although I learned to drift with the DualShock2 first. I really recommend a force feedback wheel to get the best experience. It gives you the ability to execute extraordinarily smooth, precise drifts. The GT Force is particularly good because of its superb throttle pedal throw and precision.

Getting Sideways

There are many ways to get a car sideways in a turn (this condition is often called oversteer in racing circles). Which methods you use is entirely up to you. I'll breifly describe some methods to initiate oversteer here.

Power Oversteer -

This is the most common method, and an easy one to learn. When you want the car to oversteer, simply punch the gas while you're turning. As long as you haven't turned the front wheels too far the car will go into a tail-out slide. To use this technique you need a car with enough power to overcome traction at the rear wheels. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a lot of power. You can get away with "only" 250hp or less if you use Simulation tires. Most of my GT3 drift cars have about 300hp.

Feint Motion -

A personal favorite of mine. This involves turning the car to the outside before a turn and flicking it in the direction of the turn as you enter it. For example, if a left turn is approaching, keep the car more or less in the middle of the track. Before you want to turn in, rock it to the right, then before hitting the wall (or grass) turn the car left. Done properly this will overload the suspension as the right side compresses, and the car will begin to slide as it turns left. This technique does not require violent or abrupt movements of the steering wheel. Instead, somewhat subtle and smooth inputs will get the job done with grace.

Braking Entry -

In my opinion this technique is not used enough. It seems to me a lot of people rely on power oversteer, and this limits them to entering the drift at a lower speed. With a drift entry under braking, you can be sideways well before a corner, entering it at high speed. To perform this technique, you want to stab the brakes while turning into the corner. If you need to slow down a lot for a corner, brake first, then release them for a bit and stab them again as you turn in. This works especially well with mid-engined cars. Note that you need to be entering the turn at a higher speed than you think you should for this to work. Also, this technique can be combined with the Feint technique for some fun, totally sideways braking drifts while slowing down from high speed into a slow corner.

Lift Throttle -

Here's a simple way to slide the back end out. As you turn in, suddenly lift off the throttle to unload the rear wheels. This works similarly to the braking entry, but there's much less slowdown involved here. This technique is generally useful when you're already going the right speed for drifting around the turn ahead.

E-Brake -

Usually this isn't a very graceful way to enter a drift. I include this here because it's often the first thing that people think of, but also because it does have a purpose most people don't think of. Using the e-brake, you can actually extend a braking drift if you've entered it too early or are too slow. When you've entered a braking drift before a turn, and discovered you've done it too early and are going to shortcut the turn (or hit the inside wall if there is one), you can actually pull and hold the e-brake to make the car keep sliding on a straight path. This will also make your car reduce speed more slowly. This is more of an advanced technique to try once you've gotten the hang of the others, but I include it in here because I've found it very useful to me.

Staying Sideways

In order to ensure you don't spin out or lose the drift once you've entered it, there are a couple things you need to do.

Firstly, countersteer. That is, turn the steering wheel in the direction opposite the turn you're driving through. When the tail end slides out entering a left turn, steer right. You should actually start countersteering before you think you should. Anticipate it. Make it a smooth motion as the car begins to step sideways. With some practice you will learn just how much to countersteer depending on the situation. Often you can get away with less opposite lock than you think.

The second thing you need to do to balance the car in the drift is modulate the throttle. Generally, more gas will make the car rotate more (and so too much throttle will spin you around), and less gas will start to tuck in the tail end. You want to use both steering and throttle to keep the car drifting. The farther sideways you are, the more you should countersteer, and the gentler you should be with the throttle.

As you get better you can spend more time drifting on the brakes into a corner. The first two turns at Apricot Hill are a good example. You can go flying into the first turn sideways under braking, and not get on the throttle until entering the second left. With practice you'll learn when you can get back on the throttle from a massive braking drift.

Exiting the Drift

This is another area where personal style plays a big part. You can do this quickly, or gracefully, or however you like. The general idea is to either countersteer more or give it slightly insufficient throttle (or both) to get the car to begin to 'catch.' Now if you want it to be a smooth exit from the drift, just as the car begins to catch you should feed in some more power and begin to dial out some opposite lock.

Linking Drifts

This is something to try after you've gotten somewhat comfortable with drifting around. It's fairly easy to do. The idea here is to be drifting in one direction, and immediately transfer the car to drifting in the other direction. A great series of turns to try this on are the first few turns at Apricot Hill. The first double-left can be taken in one smooth arc, hold the drift past the second left, and toss the back end out to the left to begin drifting around the downhill right turn. Then link the next left turn, and the next right. That's a fun series of turns to link!

To link drifts, you want to exit the first drift in a way that makes the tail end start to slide the other way in a hurry. Usually this involves dialing in extra countersteer, maybe a little extra throttle, and then suddenly lifting off the gas (or braking if you need to do that). The back end will bite pretty quick. As soon as you feel it do that, start countersteering the other way. If you don't need to slow down for the second drift, start feeding in some throttle pretty soon. If you do need to slow down, hit the brakes of course. :) Either move will help the back end out.

The Importance of Car Setups

This isn't as important as you might think. There are a few things that make it easier to do, but setup is mostly a personal thing. There are no "magic settings" that make you and the car masterful drifters. :) You can take a stock RWD car out in GT3 and drift it well if you have the skills developed. There are a few things I like to do, however, that make drifting more fun and easier. The first is to install a triple clutch and lightweight flywheel. This way I don't waste any time in-between shifts if I should have to shift in mid-drift. Another thing I like to do is set the brake bias more towards the rear. This is my personal preference, so you may like it the other way around. Finally, limited slip differential upgrades are nice to have (especially if the car doesn't come with one at all, such as the basic Sprinter Trueno). I like the adjustability of the Full Customize LSD, but a 1.5 way or 2 way will get the job done.

One thing I really do feel is important in learning to drift well is SIM TIRES. Use them at all four corners. They may seem slippery at first, but they teach you a lot about restraint and control in the drift. There's no need to manhandle the car around to get it to drift. My favorite drifts are the extremely sideways, yet smooth ones. Sim tires offer a lot of control when sideways. Grippier tires will require much more rapid inputs and adjustments from you, and more power to keep the drifts going. Some like to mix tires and put sticky ones up front only. I've found this feels very unnatural and makes it harder to drift. Once you get sideways, the car wants to go all the way around on you.

Having said all that, I'm offering one of my setups here for you to try out. It's my favorite drift setup, even though it was one of my first ones. I have a lot of drift cars based off of this one, but I also have some that are completely different. So don't think they all have to be along this order. :)

The Car:
Mazda RX7 Infini-III (FC)

Mods:
- Full Racing Suspension
- Sports Brakes & Balance Controller
- Stage 1 Turbo
- Racing Intercooler
- Racing Muffler
- Sports Chip
- Port and Polish
- Full Engine Balance
- Full Racing Transmission
- Triple Clutch
- Racing Flywheel
- Carbon Driveshaft
- LSD Full Customize
- Weight Reduction Stage 2
- Simulation Tires

ASM and TCS set to zero.

Settings:
SR - 6.0 / 7.9
RH - 102 / 102
Bound - 5 / 7
Rebound - 6 / 7
Camber - 3.0 / 0.5
Toe - -0.5 / 1.5
Stabs - 3 / 3

Brakes - 4 / 24

LSD: Initial = 50, Accel = 50, Decel = 18

Gears: auto level 24
1 - 3.000
2 - 2.160
3 - 1.700
4 - 1.370
5 - 1.147
6 - 0.965
Final - 3.980

Final Thoughts

While this guide will tell you the basics of how to adjust a car's behavior while beyond the limit, it won't make you a master drifter. When I started teaching myself to drift in GT2 I had nothing to go on but a few videos from Japanese web sites. I spent a few weeks just experimenting like mad - seeing what worked, what didn't, and what the cars could really do. Seat time is your best teacher for drifting. Keep an open mind, try new things you might not think of otherwise, and don't worry about screwing up at first. Drifting isn't simple, but it's worth the challenge when you've learned how to do it well repeatedly. Most importantly, have fun!

Just posted the guide up for anyone who can' be bothered :zzz: to click the link :computer:... And incase that web site ever gets shut down it can be refered to in here.... :D

But the web site is so much purdier. :P

I have indeed tried to drift a real car a couple times, but I haven't done anything spectacular. My car is definitely anti-drift in the way it's built (1st-gen MR2, tons of weight over the back wheels and no torque!) but I did try to slide it around a skidpad a while back.... http://hammer.prohosting.com/~ccimoc/drift/aw11drift.avi (just a couple MBs)

I also borrowed my dad's clapped out AE86 for one autocross and tried drifting a few of those corners. I think I did OK for my first time. http://hammer.prohosting.com/~ccimoc/drift/myfirstdrifts.avi
It's harder to drift in real life. I think once I get a driftable car of my own and upgrade the suspension to something more drift-friendly, I'll get better at it.

You are da man! Cudaman Ive learnt allot from reading that!

Also when I get my good computer repaired im gonna attempt my own sorta version of gran dorifto (hehe you inspired me :D )

I noticed when starting that it is quite hard to keep the throttle at the right point to sustain a drift even with the analog acceleration, but eventually I became less cack handed and managed to pull off some nice drifts. I more or less mirrored your drift down Laguna Secas corkscrew that you did although I was using an XKR. Also you said that most of your drift cars were under 300hp thats understandable. But what about real powerfull cars like vipers and RUF`s do you leave everything alone and just add sim tyres or do you do the same sort of mods on them?

Originally posted by Y2TUSCAN
Also you said that most of your drift cars were under 300hp thats understandable. But what about real powerfull cars like vipers and RUF`s do you leave everything alone and just add sim tyres or do you do the same sort of mods on them?
I think my Viper has the stock horsepower, yeah. Just some suspension mods and sim tires. I think I had to add some power to the RUF since it's so rear-heavy. My SVT Cobra R is near stock motor-wise but I think I want to add another 30hp or so.

I basically try to achieve a balance of "just more than enough" horsepower to overcome traction at the rear wheels.

what is the name of the song u used in the video of u in teh AE86?
BTW:Looks good and it looks like u do really wanna be a rally car driver(the rally car driver part is a quote from somebody in the video) :D :lol: :odd: :cool:

Well done !

I'm will try out Your settings.

( I'm love the Mazda RX7 Infini-III (FC) for drifts too )

Other good Cars for drifts, are the RUF RGT and the Tickford Falcon !

By the way,
That's my Settings from the RUF RGT :D

HP : ca. 1094

Federrate / Spring Rate: Front 6,9 / Heck 9,0
Fahrzeughöhe / Height : Front 80 mm / 90 mm
Stoßdämpferzug / Bound : Front Level 7 / Heck Level 5
Stoßdämpferdruck / Rebound : Front Level 10 / Heck Level 8
Sturzwinkel / Camber : Front 1,3 / Heck 1,3
Spurwinkel / Toe : Front 0,0 / Heck - 1,5
Stabilisator / Stabs : Front Level 7 / Heck Level 6
Bremskraftverteilung / Brakes: Front Level 12 / Heck Level 9
Anfangsdrehmoment / Initial : Front 0 / Heck 10
Differential-Beschleunigung / Accel : Front 0 / Heck 40
Differential-Bremsen / Decel : Front 0 / Heck 20
Abtrieb / Down-Force: Front 0,29 / Heck 0.60
Gierregelung : -------
Aktive-Stabilitätsregelung / ASM : 0
Traktionskontrollsystem / TCS : 0

( The word Heck = rear )

Automatische Einstellung / Gears auto level : Level 21
1 : 4,346
2 : 3,392
3 : 2,608
4 : 2,028
5 : 1,647
6 : 1,397
Letzte / Final : 2,000

yo cuda
just wundrin i can drift semi-decently in gt3 but i wanted to know what u use to drift - logitec wheel, directional pad or joystick?
i also have problems holding the drift, i use the directional pad and its hard not being able to countersteer to a certain degree, i mean its either middle, full left or full right, im wundrin if u understand whut im sayin- oh wellz ill keep trying i guess, hehe i like mah FD-3SRX-7 RZ hehe

Originally posted by deek
just wundrin i can drift semi-decently in gt3 but i wanted to know what u use to drift - logitec wheel, directional pad or joystick?
If you read the guide you'd know I use the Logitech GT Force. :)

As for using the digital pad, a tapping technique usually works OK. It doesn't have the precision to hold the steering steady in one spot.

jubula - I used some Initial D song in that video... I don't know the name of it. It's off one of the soundtracks I'm sure.

Uh oh, Werner is German... that automatically makes him fast. :)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
After practicing Exhibition drifting for two weeks I went back to playing in the sim mode and I KEEP DRIFTING ALL THE TIME. Although when I hooked up the drifts on certain corners and used normal driving techniques on other corners my laptimes were improved :)

Hello CudaMan

I'm to notice :

Use the Gears auto level to adjust the Maximal - Speed !!!

Than You have a much better accelerate-effect . ( 0-100 kmh )
But You must often try out, to optimize the Top-Speed .

Please set up first the Gears auto level, as shortly Transmission as possible ,
thereafter You can Set up the Finale to the Longest Transmission-Position ( Full left side to the Highest Top-Speed )
Than You can to adjust the Gears 2-6 to the shortest Transmission ( Low Top-Speed )

The 1 Gear , You can Set, to a little longer Transmission position, than the original set up !

If the Top - Speed not as requested , You must first cange the Gears auto level, and therafer to redo all settings new .

( If You change the Gears auto level after a finish Setup, all Gear settings are to reset, and You must to redo the Gear settings 1-6 )

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, Werner. I tuned the gears on the RX7 at Complex String, which has probably the longest straight in the game (aside from the Test Course, which I never run). I'm happy with its gear ratios. I made first gear fairly long because there's no traction to be had with the sim tires from a stop. :) I find that there is always a gear for whatever speed I'm going, and that's how I like it. I hate corners that are in-between gears. :)

i was wondering if I could get the settings for that ITR and/or the viper that u were using in ur second Gran Dorifto. plz!!

i didnt know what drifting was but now i do and ive used it since i had gt2 i used to race with high horse 4 wheels and now mid-high 2 wheel and i still drift i find it way easier to drive that way!!! :)

Cuda-Man could you do a write up about stunts and car spin control? :spin:

I and probably many others enjoy turning off the ASM and TCS going on Test course with a powerful rear drive beast ( eg :ruf: RGT) and burning rubber :burnout:..

Do you have any tips on:
- Handling a car in Mid Spin
:up:
- Regaining control in a spin
- Getting the car to spin exactly how you want it to
- Donuts
- Wheelies

And the best settings to use for going stunt driving?

Alex Y2K

Heh, I'm not writing a guide for those things because I don't know how to do them. :) I know there are settings out there somewhere to get your car to do wheelies. I'm not into that stuff really.

TingBoy - the "settings" for the ITR are sim tires rear, normal front tires, and lots of e-brake usage. :) The Viper is mostly stock, with Sim tires all around.

aite, thx!!but, one question for da ITR, should it be stock, or should i base the settings on ur RX-7 (i really like dat one!! :D )? Of course they're 2 different drivetrains so i dunno about my 2nd suggestion... and one more thing... =P, i can't quite figure out how to drift wit da ITR, i'd be glad if u gave me some tips. =P

I believe my ITR had sports suspension. I can't remember really. But if you base the suspension off the RX7 settings, it should work decently.

The trick to drifting FF is to balance the e-brake with throttle and left foot braking. I think it's much easier to do with the wheel than the controller, because with the wheel you can give it brakes and gas at the same time. With the tires I put on the ITR, it'll start the drift almost on its own, all you have to do is keep it sideways.

one question Mr. H, the gear ratios... i cant get the 1st and 2nd gear ratios as low as you have written in the guide, i find this has been a problem with other setups ive seen, i know theres a way to hack the settings w/ gameshark, but before i went that extreme i was wondering if there was a way to fix this?

You guys have PC's i assume. Get a game called GPL. It might be a tad hard at first, but once you get used to it it's an amazing simulator. Every lap is basically a series of controlled drifts.

Its also realistic as hell, and you can race online (probably the best online racing in the world, full stop). Sure, racing 1967 F1 cars doesnt sound very attractive, but its hella cool :)

Back