GT3 Drift Guide now online

• Thread starter CudaMan
  • 299 comments
That's how I 4WD drift. I don't countersteer. I use the throttle to keep my car consistent with the drift angle, but for cars like the Lancer Evolutions, I have to countersteer because it oversteers too much for me to control with the throttle. For the R32, it understeers too much, so I feint drift it. During the drift, the car can't oversteer enough, so I really don't need to countersteer to compensate for the oversteer.

hi guys

I am a rookie drifter. This guide really help me a lot to improve my drifting technique. I tried that RX-7 FC setting from the guide, and after practice about an hour, I finally can drift the whole track of Trial Mountain (of course not really good on all corners at all time).
I also recommend another car for rookie like me. Try the same setting from the guide on a Nissan S-15. And it is fun to drift with a S-15.

:lol: :lol:

s15 is hard for me. little too fast. i should change some camber and toe maybe. cuz i have camber set to 2.0 and toe to 0.0/0.0 and i spin out all the time.

I am just using that RX-7 FC setting from the guide on my S-15 and tune a bit to fit my own style. I am using the braking entry to drift with this car, it is easier to drift using braking entry than the power oversteer.

Yeah Just Latly i have seen the 2 fast 2 furious movie and when im ahead by heaps u do what he did in the mitsi evo. get ur speed up or down to 100 - 107, make urself swerve from the middle of the course to the outside and then hit and hold handbreak for about 1 sec while holding across (to opposite side of track) then about halfway round hold reverse and 3/4 round u let go of the d - pad and u should be in reverse. I havent found an accurate way to get back round but if u do it when u see the 6th pos on the starting grid then u should be able to reverse over the line and the comp. will turn them around. Its mad!

everything is fast and furious series is homosexual. gives racing a bad name. increases ricers and racing n00bs. sorry but everything in that movie is wrong and not true. they sold out racing.

Originally posted by gukkigun
hi guys

I am a rookie drifter. This guide really help me a lot to improve my drifting technique. I tried that RX-7 FC setting from the guide, and after practice about an hour, I finally can drift the whole track of Trial Mountain (of course not really good on all corners at all time).
I also recommend another car for rookie like me. Try the same setting from the guide on a Nissan S-15. And it is fun to drift with a S-15.

:lol: :lol:

the S13 and FD RX-7 are also good for beginners, pretty easy to control.

but damn that AE86, why is it so hard to control?? or maybe its just me. but out of all my drifting cars the AE86 has the least amount of power but its the most challenging to drift with? what gives... im talking about the normal model, not the SS. anyone else feel the same way?

I feel the same way. I even used setting for the regular 86 i found on this site i think. I wish someone would drift trial mountain takumi style and post a vid, that would be awesome.

The reason the AE86 is so hard to control ( this goes for the regular or SS models ) is because of its weight. The Treuno is naturally a very light car, especially in the rear... so when you even slightly tap the gas, the Treuno is effected. Every single movement done in that car has an effect on the car. This is why this car is such a good car to learn with. I hate to reference Initial D but Bunta says that the AE86 teaches the driver and in a way thats very true simply because of its sensitivity. If you learn to drive with the 86 first, or something similar like the FC, you will be a better drifter in general because you will be more sensitive when it comes to throttle control and countersteering management. And uh.. yup thats about it ^_^

no, i actually love using the AE86. it slides really easily and its just a really fun car to drift with. personally i think its one of the best cars to start out with b/c its so challenging, once you get "OK" with the AE86 you'll kick ass with most of the other cars. and to quote Bunta again, "The 86 is a car that teaches the driver."

wow, initial d has saturated this forum. :D I don't think the 86 is a good car to start out with cuz its soo challenging that it will turn off most ppl, cuz most ppl play gt3 by mashing the gas pedal and either pushing the stick all teh way left or right. The 86 requires very fine control for someone using a controller which is something that a beginner might think is impossible.

Originally posted by slide-wayz
no, i actually love using the AE86. it slides really easily and its just a really fun car to drift with. personally i think its one of the best cars to start out with b/c its so challenging, once you get "OK" with the AE86 you'll kick ass with most of the other cars. and to quote Bunta again, "The 86 is a car that teaches the driver."

I heard Keiichi Tsuchiya say that.. and I think his car was the one which Initial D was based on.. so i think that quote originated there first.. but yea.. :]

Originally posted by CarAlot
in one of the drift videos i think called "XImagine" or something, it shows a Mercedes stopped on complex string but the rear wheels are burning against the ground. How do u do that? Ive tried many different ways, but couldnt get it..?
:confused:
what i do id brake very gently so the brake lights are on but you are not braking that hard. ohand turn tcs and asm off as well!!!!

I love the 86 for drifting!!! the regular one at least. i set up my SS version the same way i set up my regular turenoand the thing will not drift for me. with the same settings my regular trueno will drift like there is no tomorow, i don't know what is wrong. it is like the S.S. version just wants to be a grip race car and the regular trueno wants to drift. i love the ohhh and all you Initial D Haters out ther, go suck a lemon. lol i have seen all of the 1st and 2nd stage, and downloading the 3rd stage movie right now. Hey what does everybody think about doing a Grand Dorifto: Worl Edition, you know like a long movie Showcaseing GT3 drifters from around the world??lol it's a stretch but it would be awsome. It could be directed by CUDAMAN. just my thoughts

Originally posted by Wishn'4a86
I love the 86 for drifting!!! the regular one at least. i set up my SS version the same way i set up my regular turenoand the thing will not drift for me. with the same settings my regular trueno will drift like there is no tomorow, i don't know what is wrong. it is like the S.S. version just wants to be a grip race car and the regular trueno wants to drift. i love the ohhh and all you Initial D Haters out ther, go suck a lemon. lol i have seen all of the 1st and 2nd stage, and downloading the 3rd stage movie right now. Hey what does everybody think about doing a Grand Dorifto: Worl Edition, you know like a long movie Showcaseing GT3 drifters from around the world??lol it's a stretch but it would be awsome. It could be directed by CUDAMAN. just my thoughts

u just wrote the exact same thing in the other thread u made...:odd: :irked: :irked: :irked: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The reason the AE86 is so hard to control ( this goes for the regular or SS models ) is because of its weight. The Treuno is naturally a very light car, especially in the rear...

Ummm... no. The AE86 has 50/50 weight distribution. The car as a whole has excellant balance and control. Driver inputs and the road are easily felt when driving the car.

Was a little bored tonight, thought I'd find this and bump it. I know there are a lot of good drift guides out there now so this one might be a little redundant. But it was one of the first so it might offer some perspective about what it was like to learn to drift in the earlier days of this GT3 Drifting forum. :)

Originally posted by CudaMan
The trick to drifting FF is to balance the e-brake with throttle and left foot braking. I think it's much easier to do with the wheel than the controller, because with the wheel you can give it brakes and gas at the same time. With the tires I put on the ITR, it'll start the drift almost on its own, all you have to do is keep it sideways.

well you can always use the R2 button for gas, square for brake and X for e-brake, thats how i have my pad set up.. the joint on my thumb hurts after pressing X so hard for long periods of time.. R2 work great!

i have a question about drifting.

Everytime i take a car(ex: Supra RZ) put everything possible except making it light weight, and then i give it the sim tires, set the asm and tcs to 0, and maybe change the ratios just a tad, lower all the way, add spring, and add camber. but the problem is no matter what, when i try to drift the car will slide but it always whips its tail around. Or it will slide but when i try to exit it will always swing the other way even if i counter steer before hand to prevent it. thats why my drifting looks really dumb, and there is barely any smoke. Maybe its the initial settings. I dont change em. I dont really understand it either :banghead: . lol i just took a Trueno SS version put stage 3 turbo and racing exhaust, and set the asm and tcs to 0, and drifts really well for me. But can someone fix my problem, it would be very appreciated. Thanks before hand. :banghead:

First off, take all that **** off your car. You don't need it. Just buy a new Supra, leave it stock, and then get some sim tires. And of course set ASM and TCS to 0. Just practice with that.

Back