Gt4 as a museum??

  • Thread starter Thread starter futuredrifter
  • 22 comments
  • 893 views
Messages
320
I noticed that GT4 has an extreme amout of cars that some people wont end up driving or using to beat the game. Then I wondered why did they put them in there? Where they trying to use Gran Turismo patially as a virtual museum?
 
It is a good thing, I think. The GT series can be quite a learning tool for history of automobiles. Not so advanced and specific perhaps, but it is a definite step in the right direction, of spreading the knowledge of car goodness.

GT was never like most games which features only the latest, the newest, and most popular automobiles. Which I think, is shallow, and not fully appreciate cars as a whole.
 
jessekatianda
It is a good thing, I think. The GT series can be quite a learning tool for history of automobiles.
GT was never like most games which features only the latest, the newest, and most popular automobiles.

:dopey:👍

Thats exactely my opinion.

GT without the ''old and /or less good cars'' wouldn't be GT, and I also like those older racing cars like Group C cars or the trans-am Toyota-7.
There are very few games where you can race and even tune that old legends, and its a pleasure to watch that cars getting new oil and taking a bath. :drool:

Its so fun to win with a 30-year old car against some 2004 and newer cars.:sly: Pure fun.

I hope next GT's will feature more older race cars like some trans-ams and old F1 cars. 👍
 
KY is a long time cars lover. Perhaps as opposed to other game makers who are managers aiming at gaining markets shares and making money.
He's always wanted GT to be the ultimate driving sim experience, and providing cars of all types, all eras, all countries is part of this project.

But GT is much more than a museum where you would only stand and watch : you can actually drive and tune all of these cars. 👍
 
Yup, it just wouldn't be GT without 200HP Kei cars and 300MPH Skylines. :D

I mean how many games can you race Group B rally monsters against LMP cars at La Sarthe? Not many, I'll tell you that.

I belive KY once said he wanted Gran Turismo to become like a car encyclopedia,(and the ultimate sim, of course)he wanted to educate people on the many different types of autos that rolled across this Earth. I say he's getting pretty damn close to acheving his goals, and I hope he does. Because then GT will be more than just a game, it would be the equivelent of Google. :) Long Live GT!
 
Wonder why GT4 has less History with the cars when you compare it to GT2 or 1?

GT2 is briming over with guff on cars, GT4 you get a scrolling one liner about the Car Maker... and that is your lot. Shame.

But I like the big car pool of GT4 as you can pick your own chariot and take it to the races. And they also pack out the grids too.
 
RICHARDO
then GT will be more than just a game, it would be the equivelent of Google. :) Long Live GT!

GT will remain a game. Famine is the encyclopaedia. :lol:
 
:lol: You're right, Famine has no equal. But GT will still become one hell of a car database in the coming years.
 
I'd not buy the game if I knew it wouldn't have some random hatchbacks in it. GT3 was dissapointing on this front. GT5? Meh, I'm not buying a PS3 on principle of its price and probably hdmi only connection. My HD is DVI and that's good enough for my 360 (via adaptor). So despite the possibility of an Astra VXR in GT5, I'll miss out.
 
Think of it this way, which game would you rather have, one with 50 cars of which you all drive, or one with 700 cars, of which you still drive the same 50 cars? Extra cars give many more options for OLR races and online competitions and a greater depth to the game.
 
This was always the problem that I hope they fix in GT5...actually give us a reason (those of us that think they're useless piles of junk) to drive them, not just sit there and root in the Gotta Catch 'Em All style that GT4 adopts for the cars
 
<_Spike_>
This was always the problem that I hope they fix in GT5...actually give us a reason (those of us that think they're useless piles of junk) to drive them, not just sit there and root in the Gotta Catch 'Em All style that GT4 adopts for the cars

Im pretty sure that KY will try fix that problem....but then again, with the ps3 coming soon and its ability to make gamecreaters use larger more powerful games we might have same problem because im sure that there will be even more cars in GT5.
 
The car count could possibly go into the thousands! :scared:

I just hope they all have a written backstory in the game so I know what I'm driving and how it contributes to automotive history. GT5 should be a spectacle since KY's limitations hardware-wise are greatly reduced. 👍
 
I love the useless cars. When you are bored, you jump into a car you normally would never even bother driving, and take it around a track. That's what makes the GT series... the GT series.
 
Isn't that the truth, I willingly took the Model T around the 'Ring. And it was actually exciting. It oversteers like a beast going downhill though, since the tires are a wide as the width of a pencil. :lol:
 
If GT really wants to be a virtual museum they have to put the individual car descriptions back. Having just a description for the manufacturers are not enough. I hope they bring that back for GT5.
 
Having played the game thoroughly for more than a year, I'm starting to find the 720+ cars and 80 tracks limited. I wish there were much more cars and much more tracks available.
I wish new cars could be downloaded from a PD website and injected in the game, like on PC games.
 
Flat-out
Having played the game thoroughly for more than a year, I'm starting to find the 720+ cars and 80 tracks limited. I wish there were much more cars and much more tracks available.
I wish new cars could be downloaded from a PD website and injected in the game, like on PC games.

Ditto. 720 cars is just too few. BMW 120d and 120i? I want the 116i and the 130! What about the Fox-body Mustang? Or a Toronado, while we're at it... or even a Lincoln Continental or Town Car, or a Ford Crown Victoria... and a Police Interceptor edition?

How about a real togue track (don't laugh... there are actually closed courses dedicated to this) or point-point rallies? Or even stadium tracks with multiple surfaces? Or actual, real live gymkhanas or autocrosses?

Variety is the spice of life. With the limited number of "bad" or "average" cars, how are we to know how "good" the "good" cars really are? Would people be complaining of "crappy brakes" on the Ford GT if they had the Lamborghini Countach to compare it against? Would they rail on about excessive understeer in most cars if they had cars in the game that actually excessively understeer in real life?... oh wait, they do... the PT Cruiser... :lol: (j/k)

If downloadable updates are made available for GT5, I don't think it'd ever come out of my PS3. :lol:
 
Agreed, it didn't seem so bad when I first got the game, but now it's like all done and I've got all but the final 6 license cars there's no surprise any more.
 
niky
If downloadable updates are made available for GT5, I don't think it'd ever come out of my PS3. :lol:

It might, depending on how good the gameplay is. Downloadable cars and tracks and things are great, but if the cars handle like crusty sponges, you won't be playing the game for long.

Take Need for Speed: High Stakes, for example. Zillions of cars and replacement tracks, but whenever I feel like installing it again, it doesn't last for more than a week on my harddrive because the driving physics are just barely tolerable.

I know you're pretty satisfied with GT4, but if GT5 is anything like 4 then it won't hold my interest. Then again, that point is rather moot because I'm not even planning on buying a PS3 at all. :lol:
 
Wolfe2x7
It might, depending on how good the gameplay is. Downloadable cars and tracks and things are great, but if the cars handle like crusty sponges, you won't be playing the game for long.

Take Need for Speed: High Stakes, for example. Zillions of cars and replacement tracks, but whenever I feel like installing it again, it doesn't last for more than a week on my harddrive because the driving physics are just barely tolerable.

I know you're pretty satisfied with GT4, but if GT5 is anything like 4 then it won't hold my interest. Then again, that point is rather moot because I'm not even planning on buying a PS3 at all. :lol:

Ah... Wolfe, my dear boy... how well we know our preferences... :lol:

What was the last NFS I bought? MW? Lasted me for all of five days before I got tired of the crappy handling.

Truth be told, I actually did get tired of GT4 for a bit... too much understeer, too hard to tune... etcetera... started TT, played a little FPS on my PC, did some other stuff. Two weeks later, I take my car out for a whizz, get home, think about it... put GT4 in the drive and take my virtual car out for a whizz... (matched weight, transmission, tires, etcetera), and all of the bad handling I remember from before is gone. It feels just like the real thing.

Which means: I actually need new tires. :lol:
 
niky
Ditto. 720 cars is just too few. BMW 120d and 120i? I want the 116i and the 130! What about the Fox-body Mustang? Or a Toronado, while we're at it... or even a Lincoln Continental or Town Car, or a Ford Crown Victoria... and a Police Interceptor edition?

You sound JUST like my brother, he is selling his F-Body for a Crown Vic when he finishes it!


And.. I agree with you.
 
jessekatianda
It is a good thing, I think. The GT series can be quite a learning tool for history of automobiles. Not so advanced and specific perhaps, but it is a definite step in the right direction, of spreading the knowledge of car goodness.

GT was never like most games which features only the latest, the newest, and most popular automobiles. Which I think, is shallow, and not fully appreciate cars as a whole.

Thanks for speaking for me. :lol: Honestly, that which you mentioned in the second paragraph is what makes the next generation of racing/driving video game players so obsessed with the coolest looking, or fastest car. You've got to know where it all started, then look at the present/future. At least that's how I feel.
 
Back