GT4 Will it make me buy a PSTwo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cobra_UK
  • 184 comments
  • 6,298 views
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra_UK

(Banned)
Messages
422
Well here is the problem, I played GT3 and was very disappointed. Features like damage, good AI, 3D people, online play, custom individual body kits (as in just a spoiler or just a bonnet intake or a front splitter), custom decals were still missing. The fact that some cars didn't have a racing number and just a blank space where the number should be was also annoying. The number of cars included wasn't much and I was missing all the classics and obscure models from GT2.

Those were things people had been asking for since the first ever GT1. However years after GT3 and a long agonising wait has turned many GT players (like myself) to other games, consoles.

Then GT4 starts taking shape, it's impressive and looks like it may be it, just like GT2, and GT3 did. Everyone is hoping that this will finally give us what we've been waiting for. But no... A lot of new things have been added and one or two of the things people have been waiting for (but even those not fully). Why?

Because it's business, GT is now a franchise, they'll give us players little by little what we want and hold back things to squeeze as much income as possible. After all is published by SONY. A lot of other games have incorporated the features GT is missing with great effect so why is GT not? Because they will hold it for the next release and we'll have to spend a bit more cash to buy that too (want online, pay again for an online version late next year).

Do you know when a publisher/developer gets away with this? When there's no competition.

So will I buy a PSTwo and GT4? No.
 
Fine.. Not like your going to sway my decision..
 
I think he is the only person on the planet that doesn't have a PS2 yet.
 
Now, allow me to make it even more clear what my stance is, my point of view.

I bought an XBOX after GT Concept. I played some fantastic racing games so far on the XBOX but nothing quite like GT4. Over the last 6 months I have been reading about GT4 hoping it will make give me what I crave for. But.

Still no damage, still sub-standard AI, not all spectators are 3D (and from some angles in replays this is painfully apparent), no custom body kit parts, no custom decals. Also a big gripe is some cars that in UK are big, BIG classics, cars like: Ford Capri, Ford XR2/XR3I/XR4I(4x4), BMW M3 series E30/E36, Peugeot 205/309 GTI, Opel Nova, VW Jetta GTI, Reliant Scimitar SS1 I have not seen on the GT4 car list.

Also I am very disappointed that the PSTwo has no hard drive option. I was so tired of the memory cards, ended up having 3 Memory cards just for GT3. I would not have been much harm to add a hard drive for the PSTwo, nothing special but something cost effective.

However a game which a lot of us are aware of is Forza Motorsport, it seems to want to offer the things that GT4 is will still be missing. It's developers are even waiting for the GT4 release to learn as much as possible and give the best competitor. More, they have officially stated that another main reason for their release delay is trying to make the game bigger and learn a lot from all the feedback they've had from the community.

No this is not a Forza Motorsport vs GT4 thread. It's just a for the first time I'll think twice about buying, without question, the next GT game and the console it plays on. I’ve asked my questions and GT4 has not answered them. Time for some competition and hopefully it will mean better racing simulators for us in the future.
 
Eeh.....suit yerself. You're missing out, not me. :sly:
 
in reply to #2,3,4,6

I'm not looking to sway anybody's decision, nor whinning, just stating my point of view. This is a forum isn't it?

Point is some people who actually do look at things in a more objective way will understand what I'm trying to say.
 
How did you play GT3 without PSTwo? And even if you played it on a friends, suppose, it must not hav been much game time.
 
Lamboracer
How did you play GT3 without PSTwo?

Well the PSTwo was only just released. The new smaller one with no hard drive capability, no I-Link, top DVD loader and network adapter built in.

I use to have a PS2 and GT3 and GT Concept but after a while I looked else where. Remember GT4 has been in developement for a long, long time. So since there was no new GT game I looked elsewhere for a more powerful, versatile console with a hard drive and built in internet capability.
 
Amongst all the gamers, Gran Turismo gamers have to be the ones that whine the most. Seriously.
 
Isn't there a difference between a PS2 and a PSTwo?
 
Most of the things the guy points out, like custom body kit, 3D spectators, no damage, are pretty superficial things anyway.
 
Uk cars, you say? BMW M3 series E30/E36, Peugeot 205/309 GTI, Opel Nova, VW Jetta GTi?
 
Drifting AE86
Uk cars, you say? BMW M3 series E30/E36, Peugeot 205/309 GTI, Opel Nova, VW Jetta GTi?

He said :
Also a big gripe is some cars that in UK are big, BIG classics

Not that the cars we're made in GB, but BIG in GB...
 
Viper Zero
I think he is the only person on the planet that doesn't have a PS2 yet.

Actually I don't have a PS2, but I have pre-ordered GT4 so I can watch the pretty disc. Maybe if I put the disc in a cd player I can hear the music
 
Hey its you loss. GT4 is going to be a fantastic game. You can wait as long as you want for a developer to build a game with exactly your needs in mind, but they are trying to please everyone. Its not the developers fault that cars cannot have damage, some car manufacturers dont want their cars to be damaged in the game, it would be a bit stupid if you could bash up all the subarus but the hondas were invincible, for example.

As for unrealistic AI, how do you know, have you played GT4 yet. I dont know anyone who can tell the AI of a car from a screenshot.

And why the hell do you want an Opel Nova in GT4. This is the car of choice for every 17 year old in britain who cant afford anything better, even thought they cost about 20p.

If you want custom graphics, go and buy Need for Speed Underground or something similar.
 
in reply to #16

Damage, well it's funny how other games that do have nearly every major car manufacturer allow damage but GT doesn't. How can you explain that?

Actually I have played GT4 Prologue and have read any preview/interview regarding GT4 I could get my hands on and apparently the AI isn't up to much. After playing against the AI in Burnout 3, Juiced, Project Gotham Racing 2 and SEGA GT/GT Online (just to name a few), I expect the "ultimate racing simulator" to have the best or at least on par (now that online is not going to be included). Don't you?

Custom decals is and has been part of racing scene for longer than I can remember. It's easy to flame and say "Go buy NFS:U!". But who doesn't want to have their car personalised from the smallest thing to the whole bodywork?

I have never owned an Opel Nova and I never will. But since, as you said, so many people do what makes you thing they won't want it in the game?
 
What I don't see is the connection between the PStwo and GT4. Ok, they will be sold together just like the PS2 and GT3. But why do you need to have a PStwo for GT4 if your PS2 works fine?

Oh, and about body parts and vinyls: I don't need that. I want the car to drive well, it doesn't need to look individual. I think that Polyphony goes that direction as well: GT is about driving, not about the looks of the cars - so why would you need to customzie the looks on the "real driving simulator"?

Regards,
the Interceptor
 
in reply to #18

Ah I never mentioned I sold my PS2 because the only reason I had one was for GT series. Now I have an XBOX. The rest should be explanatory if you read my previous posts on this thread.

I'd like to customise the looks of my car (I like discreet things but things that make it look different) because I do and so do a lot of people. Honestly, you're not going to tell me that a real car person does not like to do anything to them. From the beginning of time people have wanted to be individual, they have wanted the same from their cars. Even as far back as the first cars ever produced someone wanted a custom colour for his leather interior or a gold plated manufacturer emblem...

Also your 2 posts are the most intelligent and to the point replies on thread, thanks. :)
 
Ok, now I get it. So you like the GT Series, but you were disappointed by GT3, especially as you bought your PS2 for it. And now you doubt that GT4 can be good enough to make you buy a PS2 or a PStwo again.

Well, I do understand those doubts, especially if GT4 has so many things you'd like to see. But I love GT, I know its faults, and I'm going to buy GT4. For me it's the only real racing game. But I'll keep my eyes open, and if Forza turns out to be just as good, I'll be thinking about getting an X-BOX. Nevertheless I won't sell my PS2, because I can't imagine I'll ever find the GT series as bad to do so. Like I said before, it has it's problems, but the whole package is still very very good.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
Cobra_UK
I'd like to customise the looks of my car (I like discreet things but things that make it look different) because I do and so do a lot of people. Honestly, you're not going to tell me that a real car person does not like to do anything to them. From the beginning of time people have wanted to be individual they have wanted the same from their cars. Even as far back as the first cars ever produced someone wanted a custom colour for his leather interior or a gold plated manufacturer emblem...
I know I'm pretty much alone with my opinion, but I don't want to customize my car. Of course I want it to have the colour and the interior that I like, and maybe some nice alloy wheels. But apart from that I don't want any wings, flaps, vinyls or remove the manufacturers logos. The "clean" car is a very popular trend in Germany at the moment, which means you take away all the bits that 'disturb the surface' of your car. That includes logos, handles, grills ... pretty much everything you can get your hands on.

But I don't want that. I like the car the way it looks when it comes out of the factory, and if I don't like those looks I don't buy it.

Cobra_UK
Also your 2 posts are the most intelligent and to the point replies on thread, thanks. :)
Thanks for that! I know it's hard to stand for your opinion here sometimes, especially if you say something against the common 'way of thinking' 🤬

Regards,
the Interceptor
 
I agree about the custom graphics, they're not so important in a game like the GT series. I'm more intersted in driving all the new cars than changing the colour of them.

GT4 has its faults, but remember, Polyphony weren't thinking of you as an individual when they created the game, its a good compromise that should please everyone.
 
in reply to #22

To be honest you haven't really answered any of my questions in my post #17.

Also as I stated earlier on the features I'm asking for are shared by far to many people to mention. It's not an individual thing.

And by the way to everyone: I am not trying to say GT4 is not good, nor am I implying that any other game is better at this stage. If you read carefully you'll see that.:D
 
Customisng cars should be in, just for the people who want it. I for one think that you can actually do some rather tastefull customisations (i'm not talking halfords jobbies lol), plus it's nice to have a car thats "yours". As I said, it should be an option at least, you want to rice it, go for it. If not, don't bother.

GT is about driving, not about the looks of the cars

REALLY? And that's why they speant so long on the graphics. Oh, and IT'S A RACING GAME, CAN PEOPLE PLEASE HAMMER THAT INTO THEIR BRAINS. People act as if Gt4 is JUST like driving a car, mwhahhaha, idiots. It's nothing like driving a real car (no game is, yes even with the vastly over-rated logitech wheel), I should know.

"OH Gt4 is a DRIVING game, not a racing game, that's why the AI sucks, all part of PD's master plan hyuk hyuk"
 
in reply to #24

That's one of the things I'm trying to explain. There is usually in games nowadays (sorry for sacrasm) a section called options. That way every player can customise their game how they see fit. But it's better to have the feature and the option to turn it on/off, rather than not have the feature at all.;)
 
code_kev
Customisng cars should be in, just for the people who want it. I for one think that you can actually do some rather tastefull customisations (i'm not talking halfords jobbies lol), plus it's nice to have a car thats "yours". As I said, it should be an option at least, you want to rice it, go for it. If not, don't bother.
There are other games where you can customize your car the way you like it, so if you want to maybe one of those games suits you better. GT is not about customizing.

code_kev
the Interceptor
GT is about driving, not about the looks of the cars

REALLY? And that's why they speant so long on the graphics.
They spent so much time on the graphics because they want it to look as real as possible (remember: real driving simulator) and not as good as possible. A comic book looks good, but it doesn't look real.

code_kev
Oh, and IT'S A RACING GAME, CAN PEOPLE PLEASE HAMMER THAT INTO THEIR BRAINS. People act as if Gt4 is JUST like driving a car, mwhahhaha, idiots. It's nothing like driving a real car (no game is, yes even with the vastly over-rated logitech wheel), I should know.
Well, I consider that racing a car around a circuit means you're driving it. To drive a car is one thing, to race a car describes just one way of how you're driving it. Besides that it'd be nice if you wouldn't call people names if you don't like what they say. You may of course disagree and state your opinion, but that does not go with insulting them.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
If you don´t have any interest in GT4, which´s your reason to remain in this forum?
 
Just because I don't ass kiss a game and pretend it's flawless, does not mean I have no interest in it :P

There are other games where you can customize your car the way you like it, so if you want to maybe one of those games suits you better.

I'd rather play a GT quality game WITH these features. I love this idea of Gt4 being "unsuitible" to have damage etc, yet when another crap feature comes along, such as photomode, it's treated as if its the best thing ever and somehow makes up for the lack of online play (which your beloved PD are gonna rip you off on later in the expansion, ha, an expansion for something that should be in anyway...).

"I don't want damage, I can't the car to boing off the wall, SO REALISTIC"
I have this problem with just about EVERY game, not just GT, no decent damage.

The only people I called idiots are the fools who think any game is just like driving a real car. if you ACTUALLY think that, then you are a Grade A idiot.
 
code_kev
I'd rather play a GT quality game WITH these features.
The only people I called idiots are the fools who think any game is just like driving a real car. if you ACTUALLY think that, then you are a Grade A idiot.
Sure you would, but at the moment there is no such game, so you'll have to wait or play more than one game.
And I never said that GT4 will be like driving a real car, which would be kind of hard considering the limited abilities of todays machines like the PS2. But I have the opinion that GT4 comes as close to real driving as possible with the given equipment.

EDIT:
About car damage: Nowadays you can simulate the crash of a car very realistically with a powerful computer. But as long as you can't simulate that on the Playstation, how do you want to simulate car damage exactly like it appears in reality? You'd need to put the whole structure of the cars' interior into the game to make it crash realistically.

Regards,
the Interceptor
 
But I have the opinion that GT4 comes as close to real driving as possible with the given equipment.

Well that means I didn't call you an idiot then. I agree though, that on the hardware, it's about as close as you can get.

Btw forza may be that game *grin*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back